Austinsevo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

going to sleep right after working out

is this a good thing or bad? also since i finish my workout around 8pm and i need to be in bed by 9:30 i try not to eat. I usually have a nice breakfast in the morning.

im mainly talking about weight lifting and running.
    Last edited by Austinsevo; 04-07-2009 at 03:14 PM.

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You should always eat straight sfter a workout, your muscles will use the calories your taking in so you don't have to worry about your food being stored as fat as you sleep.
    Everyone is different but i'd say you'd get away with 40-50 fast digesting carbs and simular amount of protein, just make sure you eat ASAP after training

1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1bigdaddy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would at least have a protein shake after your workout. Since you are heading to bed you could do some whey/casein mix.

J

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Assuming you want to get bigger and stronger, you're REALLY going to need to eat after your workout.

Best,
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    after working out at least have a shake with some milk and some peanut butter.

I would even least fit in another meal before going to bed as well.

running on empty that long after a workout and sleep combined cant be good at all IMO.
    Last edited by MdFitness; 04-07-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Originally Posted by Dr Clay View Post
    Assuming you want to get bigger and stronger, you're REALLY going to need to eat after your workout.

Best,
    i always want to be stronger but i do need to slim down.. thats why im worried about eating a bunch of carbs just before i goto sleep. Protein doesnt turn into fat does it?

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    any EXCESS calories can be stored as body fat if I'm not mistaken. but those won't be excess, a protein shake w/ milk PostWO
    my journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1201781

should i still take protein shakes on my off days when im not working out? like saturday and sunday? im not just talking about just before i goto sleep i mean during the day too.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Austinsevo View Post
    is this a good thing or bad? also since i finish my workout around 8pm and i need to be in bed by 9:30 i try not to eat. I usually have a nice breakfast in the morning.

im mainly talking about weight lifting and running.
    WHOA!!!!

i always want to be stronger but i do need to slim down.. thats why im worried about eating a bunch of carbs just before i goto sleep. Protein doesnt turn into fat does it?
    WHOA!!

should i still take protein shakes on my off days when im not working out? like saturday and sunday? im not just talking about just before i goto sleep i mean during the day too.

WHOA!!!!!!!

AUSTIN, my man, I am going to give you the straight skinny, no holds barred, tough love version of the answer you need:

IT IS INEXCUSABLE FOR SOMEONE YOUR AGE TO BE PARTAKING IN A PHYSICAL ENDEAVOR AND OBVIOUSLY NOT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST CLUE AS TO THE IMPORTANCE OF NUTRITION RELATED TO YOUR ENDEAVOR!!

really, there is no excuse whatsoever......READ , MAN, READ!!!

there are tons of information to read about BASIC BODYBUILDING NUTRITION.....

I'm sorry, I simply cannot candy coat my message....

do you want to hurt yourself, instead of helping yourself????

get cracking on the basics, and fast.....

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Austinsevo View Post
    You don't have to eat a bunch of carbs, just in moderation. Your muscles will use them straight after a workout.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Mr. Gargani is right. You need to do some research.

Sleeping shortly after working out, is great actually. Your body wants to repair your muscles as soon as possible, and what better time to repair then when you are in a state of rest?

Eat after working out. Don't go to an all you can eat buffet if you are worried abuot excess calories and carbs. However at the very minimum friggin do a protein shake mixed with milk. Hell you probably wouldn't even have a problem doing a full blown weight gain shake. Your body will use almost every bit of it up. Stop over analyzing all this crap.

Here is a quick nutrition run down I give a lot of beginners. It might help you get on track:

Quick nutrition run down:
    Eat every 2-3 hours. It doesn't have to be a full meal. Your first meal should be well rounded, if you have time for a full meal look towards like 2-3 eggs, bowl of oatmeal, glass of milk. If you are restrained on time, at least get like a protein shake and a bowl of oatmeal.

Healthy fats are your friends, you get those from nuts, oils, eggs, fish. Omega 3, 6, 9. If it says unsaturated fat, it is fine.

Get protein at every meal, and try to get fibrous veggies with as many meals as possible (corn and potatoes are not a fibrous veggie, they are starches). Your carbs should mainly consist of whole grain options.

Protein shakes are fine. Try to get your macros from whole foods when possible, but protein shakes have their place due to their conveinence. If you only have whey, there are two times I'd suggest taking it, one is immediately upon waking up, your body has been without food for 6-8 hours, and could use some protein. The other time is right after you workout.

To let you know, whey protein starts being used by the body very quickly and is gone within 2 hours. Casein protein, is about the polar opposite. It is far slower to be assimilated, and lasts upwards of 8 hours. A blend protein powder will contain both of these (maybe egg or soy protein as well...that is neither here nor there). If you have blend protein powder or a casein protein, I'd suggest taking it right before bed, so you can try to keep your muscles fed while you sleep.

Your two biggest meals ideally, should be breakfast and your PWO (post workout) meal.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post

Sleeping shortly after working out, is great actually. Your body wants to repair your muscles as soon as possible, and what better time to repair then when you are in a state of rest?

Eat after working out. Don't go to an all you can eat buffet if you are worried abuot excess calories and carbs. However at the very minimum friggin do a protein shake mixed with milk. Hell you probably wouldn't even have a problem doing a full blown weight gain shake. Your body will use almost every bit of it up. Stop over analyzing all this crap.

Here is a quick nutrition run down I give a lot of beginners. It might help you get on track:

Eat every 2-3 hours. It doesn't have to be a full meal. Your first meal should be well rounded, if you have time for a full meal look towards like 2-3 eggs, bowl of oatmeal, glass of milk. If you are restrained on time, at least get like a protein shake and a bowl of oatmeal.

Healthy fats are your friends, you get those from nuts, oils, eggs, fish. Omega 3, 6, 9. If it says unsaturated fat, it is fine.

Get protein at every meal, and try to get fibrous veggies with as many meals as possible (corn and potatoes are not a fibrous veggie, they are starches). Your carbs should mainly consist of whole grain options.

Protein shakes are fine. Try to get your macros from whole foods when possible, but protein shakes have their place due to their conveinence. If you only have whey, there are two times I'd suggest taking it, one is immediately upon waking up, your body has been without food for 6-8 hours, and could use some protein. The other time is right after you workout.

To let you know, whey protein starts being used by the body very quickly and is gone within 2 hours. Casein protein, is about the polar opposite. It is far slower to be assimilated, and lasts upwards of 8 hours. A blend protein powder will contain both of these (maybe egg or soy protein as well...that is neither here nor there). If you have blend protein powder or a casein protein, I'd suggest taking it right before bed, so you can try to keep your muscles fed while you sleep.

Your two biggest meals ideally, should be breakfast and your PWO (post workout) meal.
    good info thank you.

BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BellyFatBGone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I came across this post doing a search on sleeping after workout - this info isn't that readily available as one might think so I hope I don't get chastised for asking my question because I am trying to learn.

I'm a female who is not interested in body building (as in getting big) but I do lift weights to gain muscle and get lean. My goal is to reduce my body fat, most if not all of it it's on my belly, the rest of my body is pretty "toned" and I'm quite happy with it. My problem area and where I'm struggling is stomach fat.

On the weekdays I do my workout in the evening and generally finish around 9 or 10pm. I go to sleep around between 11 and 12:30. What should I be eating after my workout if my goal is body fat loss, not body building? I've been just having a protein shake because I know that's important to have protein after weights (is the same true for cardio?) but have been wondering if that's the best thing if I go to sleep shortly after because I've also read not to eat anything 3-4 hours before sleep.

FYI - I have a split schedule that I do twice a week - chest, back and arms one day, legs and should the next - so I lift 4x a week followed by at least 30mins of intense cardio. I also do intense cardio on non-weight days too and have one or two days of no workout.

Some other questions, not related to this question but perhaps I could get your insight.Should one stop eating carbs after a certain time in the day? I eat only natural foods (not packaged or processed), whole grain bread, fibrous veggies, legumes, natural peanut butter, eggs, non fat natural yogurt, no milk, lean cuts of meat, etc. I hardly eat potatoes or pasta but I do eat corn and carrots. I get fat through olive and coconut oil, nuts, avocado, egg yolk, etc. I get the stuff from the farmer's market and check to ingredients to make sure there's no additives, etc.

I don't want to go too low carb because I will gain the fat back, I need to do something where I can maintain that lifestyle.

Thanks for any info you can share.

bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000)

This is nearly sticky worthy.
    New life in place of old life
    Unscarred by trials
    A new level of CONFIDENCE and POWER

RTS log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136314231

Sheiko log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133108803

Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beachman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Originally Posted by bonvec01 View Post
    This is sticky worthy.
    ^^^I agree- great post Chazzy

Registered User silverlightning's Avatar
    silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    just to make you feel better. last week or two I've slept after my workout. but I had my post w/o shake, whey, oats, etc. I w/o in the am. guess what? i'm 197, lowest weight in years.

follow the advice on this thread. or stop working out.

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ... i hope you shower first.
    Ball-Worthy [bawl-wur-thee]
    -adjective

1) Something so epic you would sacrifice a testicle to get your hands on it:

-nano's journal is ball-worthy;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117646471

-nano's guitar
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124088321

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    chaz pretty much covered it.

i will just add that back in the day i use to work from 11pm-7am, i would workout after work. come home and drink a meal shake, i think it was myoplex plus deluxe, which had a lot of protein and a ridiculous amount of carbs in it. turn the tv on to sports center and pass out. i made my best muscle gains EVER during that time frame.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by oceania View Post
    I came across this post doing a search on sleeping after workout - this info isn't that readily available as one might think so I hope I don't get chastised for asking my question because I am trying to learn.

I'm a female who is not interested in body building (as in getting big) but I do lift weights to gain muscle and get lean. My goal is to reduce my body fat, most if not all of it it's on my belly, the rest of my body is pretty "toned" and I'm quite happy with it. My problem area and where I'm struggling is stomach fat.

On the weekdays I do my workout in the evening and generally finish around 9 or 10pm. I go to sleep around between 11 and 12:30. What should I be eating after my workout if my goal is body fat loss, not body building? I've been just having a protein shake because I know that's important to have protein after weights (is the same true for cardio?) but have been wondering if that's the best thing if I go to sleep shortly after because I've also read not to eat anything 3-4 hours before sleep.

FYI - I have a split schedule that I do twice a week - chest, back and arms one day, legs and should the next - so I lift 4x a week followed by at least 30mins of intense cardio. I also do intense cardio on non-weight days too and have one or two days of no workout.

Some other questions, not related to this question but perhaps I could get your insight.Should one stop eating carbs after a certain time in the day? I eat only natural foods (not packaged or processed), whole grain bread, fibrous veggies, legumes, natural peanut butter, eggs, non fat natural yogurt, no milk, lean cuts of meat, etc. I hardly eat potatoes or pasta but I do eat corn and carrots. I get fat through olive and coconut oil, nuts, avocado, egg yolk, etc. I get the stuff from the farmer's market and check to ingredients to make sure there's no additives, etc.

I don't want to go too low carb because I will gain the fat back, I need to do something where I can maintain that lifestyle.

Thanks for any info you can share.
    Do not follow the rule of no food before bed. As I said in the nutrition run down, casein protein is great to keep your body fed while sleeping.

After you work out, you really could have a full meal if you want. Your body will use up most of it. However since you are close to bed, and you are cutting, I'd suggest keeping the carbs to a minimum. I wouldn't say have a keto based meal, but maybe a 1:1 ratio of carbrotein. That shoudl do you fine. Replenish your energy stores, and feed your body.

I generally try to limit carbs starting around dinner time (4-6 hours before bed time...for my schedule). But I don't eliminate them, just depends on my cravings...however I also stopped being real anal about my diet.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisnyssen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

wow I can't believe people were preaching this broscience bullchit just 5 years ago.... I'm glad we've moved on since this :')

and incase OP is still wondering about eating after his workout, eat whenever the fk you want just make sure you hit your cals for the day

archaic bump