PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Losing weight on a "bulk"

Ok, well my goal was to bulk originally. I noticed some fat gain and was told to lower my calories to 2200. Now I've been LOSING weight. Like 4 pounds I think in like a 7 week period. I've even had 2 eating contest and like 2 refeeds of like 600 calories and always averaged 2200 a week during this period. I don't know, what do I do. And I feel really skinny. But that dreadful stomach fat is still there what exactly should I do....?

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Eat so you don't lose weight. Take the cals up a bit more. What were your carbs before and after dropping your cals?

Keep in mind at 16 you've got some real hormone things going on. The "baby" fat may stay there for awhile. Ignore it and instead assess your progress by muscle gains. You're still growing and developing. Each of us do it differently. I couldn't get rid of that bit of belly until my early twenties.

Another thing to look at is possible food intolerances. Dairy, gluten, and soy can cause bloating with no other symptoms. Does anyone in your family have food issues?

PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) PremierGirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks for answer =)

Well now I average 210 carbs
    and before I averaged 340 carbs (culprit?)

If I were to up my cals, would I up protein even though Im already getting like 220 a day?

And that's interesting thanks 4 letting me know

Not that I know of, how can I find out if I am?
    Last edited by PremierGirl; 04-04-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Beefcupcake has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How many grams of fats are you eating? Your carbs and protein numbers seem off.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes, lowering carbs while keeping protein and fats the same can result in weight loss. It may have been water more than fat. You can up your good fats instead of adding in more carbs. See if that changes your perception of gaining fat at the higher cal level.

Since you don't have a family history of food issues and don't have any other complaints, I'd guess that additional carbs was just bloating you up a bit. It's very common and happens to most of us. It's also why people lose the most amount of weight when they first start a diet and reduce their carb intake. They lose water.

Just shoot for muscle gains. Ignore body fat for now. Focus instead on increasing muscle size and strength.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by PremierGirl View Post
    Well now I average 210 carbs
    and before I averaged 340 carbs (culprit?)

If I were to up my cals, would I up protein even though Im already getting like 220 a day?

And that's interesting thanks 4 letting me know

Not that I know of, how can I find out if I am?
    I know in one of your older threads your carb intake was way too high. What is your exact breakdown of grams for protein, carbs and fats to equal 2200?
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by Beefcupcake View Post
    How many grams of fats are you eating? Your carbs and protein numbers seem off.

Like 50 grams average.

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    I know in one of your older threads your carb intake was way too high. What is your exact breakdown of grams for protein, carbs and fats to equal 2200?
    Ok
    Numbers vary very little by days

I average
    210 carbs a day
    220 protein a day
    50 fat a day

210x4= 840
    220x4=880
    50x9=450

840+880+450 = 2170 (usually comes out higher but again those were averages....)

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Yes, lowering carbs while keeping protein and fats the same can result in weight loss. It may have been water more than fat. You can up your good fats instead of adding in more carbs. See if that changes your perception of gaining fat at the higher cal level.

Since you don't have a family history of food issues and don't have any other complaints, I'd guess that additional carbs was just bloating you up a bit. It's very common and happens to most of us. It's also why people lose the most amount of weight when they first start a diet and reduce their carb intake. They lose water.

Just shoot for muscle gains. Ignore body fat for now. Focus instead on increasing muscle size and strength.
    hmm but wouldn't that water weight had come of the like first two weeks?

By the way: do you girls reccomend lowering protein?

Originally Posted by PremierGirl View Post
    hmm but wouldn't that water weight had come of the like first two weeks?

By the way: do you girls reccomend lowering protein?
    When you up carbs and bloat it takes a couple of weeks to settle out. When you lower carbs water is mostly lost the first couple of weeks. That's why I suggested you lost more water than fat.

You did good bringing cals up. Now you just need a bit of tweaking. Just don't be afraid of gaining a little bit of fat. The muscle mass you'll gain will be well worth it.

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    When you up carbs and bloat it takes a couple of weeks to settle out. When you lower carbs water is mostly lost the first couple of weeks. That's why I suggested you lost more water than fat.

You did good bringing cals up. Now you just need a bit of tweaking. Just don't be afraid of gaining a little bit of fat. The muscle mass you'll gain will be well worth it.
    Are you suggesting I go back to the amount of calories I used to eat with better macros?

If you're losing fat at your current cals, then yes, bring them up. On a bulk you should see muscle gains as well as some fat gains. But you can tweak your macros to keep bloating in line. It's hard at times to judge if it's bloat or if it's fat. If it comes on quick and doesn't continue to increase, it's probably water. I don't usually see additional belly fat until a couple of months into a bulk. But each of us is different. What I look for more is muscle gain. When I see my thighs, chest, and biceps increasing I don't care so much about the little belly pudge. After all, that's the point of a bulk.