jerrynazario has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Baseball and Lifting Questions

Hey wassup guys, I am interested in continuing my working out at the gym but my baseball season is also right around the corner. I would like to know what type of working out I should be doing at the gym in order for it not to affect me on the field. Should I continue to workout like I do lifting heavy weight or should I stay light for the season? Any suggestion or advice would be nice.
    Thanks
    Last edited by jerrynazario; 03-14-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: forgot something

andrew2123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrew2123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrew2123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrew2123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrew2123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrew2123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrew2123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrew2123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrew2123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrew2123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm cutting back from 5 days a week to 3. If you pitch, dont lift the day before. also i think you can vary between light weight- higher reps. and heavier weight lower reps every few weeks. just to keep all your lifts up.

im actually a catcher..
    thanks

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Frankly it comes down to what you can handle. Personally, I lift heavy during the season, continuing to push myself just as I do in the off season. My body can handle this kind of stress. You may be able to handle lifting heavy you just may have to lift at night after practice rather than before. Maybe your body responds well to 2-3 days a week of lifting during the season. You really need to play with different things.

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by andrew2123 View Post
    I'm cutting back from 5 days a week to 3. If you pitch, dont lift the day before. also i think you can vary between light weight- higher reps. and heavier weight lower reps every few weeks. just to keep all your lifts up.
    This quote may not apply to you, as it does not apply to me. I destroy the weight room the day before I pitch. It all depends on your recovery time.

csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10) csauce16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jerrynazario View Post
    im actually a catcher..
    thanks
    reps for being a catcher..i Used to catch during High School too.
    this is what i did assuming you played tues & fridays

Mon-Your legs will be feeling a bit tight on monday so you can do a couple of shoulder workouts military press, dumbbell press, V-raises, wrist curls, (keep it light you don't wanna over work yourself because game day is tom.

Tue-Game-Run 15-25 minutes either after the game or at night

wed-20 minutes cardio.. Explosive Exercises that would aid me in My throws for picking off runners,weighted Lunges, Box Jumps, Calf Raises, Jump Rope

Thurs-Rest and Eat Properlly

Fri-Run 15-25 minutes either after the game or at night.

Sat-heavy workout,especially since i had two days till game time- 20 minutes cardio.. Explosive Exercises that would aid me in My throws for picking off runners,weighted Lunges, Box Jumps, Calf Raises, Jump Rope

Sun-Rest and Eat Properlly

My brother is currentlly a senior in HS and is most likely going to Cal State Fullerton or Tampa Bay Rays not sure,,,He's been following this routine and believe me, it shows on the field.

Originally Posted by csauce16 View Post
    reps for being a catcher..i Used to catch during High School too.
    this is what i did assuming you played tues & fridays

Mon-Your legs will be feeling a bit tight on monday so you can do a couple of shoulder workouts military press, dumbbell press, V-raises, wrist curls, (keep it light you don't wanna over work yourself because game day is tom.

Tue-Game-Run 15-25 minutes either after the game or at night

wed-20 minutes cardio.. Explosive Exercises that would aid me in My throws for picking off runners,weighted Lunges, Box Jumps, Calf Raises, Jump Rope

Thurs-Rest and Eat Properlly

Fri-Run 15-25 minutes either after the game or at night.

Sat-heavy workout,especially since i had two days till game time- 20 minutes cardio.. Explosive Exercises that would aid me in My throws for picking off runners,weighted Lunges, Box Jumps, Calf Raises, Jump Rope

Sun-Rest and Eat Properlly

My brother is currentlly a senior in HS and is most likely going to Cal State Fullerton or Tampa Bay Rays not sure,,,He's been following this routine and believe me, it shows on the field.
    thanks alot for this routine. It seems very reasonable and makes sense, its along the lines of what I had in mind. I will definately take it into consideration and give it a try.

HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50) HomeRunKingAK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Above routine is pretty solid.... Add plyometrics in there somewhere, and hitting on an off day (usually covered i assume you practice often).

I gotta cousin in the Gulf Coast Rook league and he said all they do to maintain is explosive lifts on days off, agility, run, and play.

I still lift in-season but just switch from my off-season isolation lifts to explosive olympic lifts with lower weights. I also do agility (comes with my team), and run (also with the team). I hit every day aswell.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I switch off between heavier weights and speed sets (build power) ... on a mon/thurs setup but sometimes depending on the schedule it gets changed a little what days I do it. I also stripped my workouts down to straight compound lifts (full-body) from an upper/lower split to just get the benefit from everything together. Also definitely make sure you still do cardio because in baseball you get out of shape if you don't keep up with it ... unlike say football/soccer where you are running all the time. Like said above though you really have to find what works for you ... just like in the off season ... nobody is the same but IMO its better to start off with a little less and add as you can then trying to do everything possible and taking away ... but early enough in the season it doesn't matter to much.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!
    =============================================