SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Low Blood Protein??

So I just had a physical, and apparently my protein level was low on my bloodwork. I think my Dr said that an 8 was normal and I was around a 6. I'm getting about .75 to 1g/lb of bodyweight, so I'm really confused. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Thanks!!
    Mind over matter: If you don't mind, it doesn't matter

*~On the day that your mentality
    Catches up with your biology
    Come round
    Because I want the one I can't have
    And it's driving me mad
    It's written all over my face~*

Currently Cutting

Supps:
    ON Gold 100% Whey
    PurpleWraath
    REDuction

gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Blood protein levels have nothing to do with the amount of protein you are consuming a day. One reason blood protein levels are often monitored is because most of your blood proteins are synthesized in the liver. So, your blood protein levels give the doctor an idea of how well your liver is functioning. Blood protein levels also has a lot to do with blood pressure and filtration in the kidneys. If your doctor didn't panic I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gbardahl View Post
    Blood protein levels have nothing to do with the amount of protein you are consuming a day.
    Actually it does. A poor nutrition state will result in low serum albumin and total protein.

We need to know the OP's albumin. If it is low, it could be a synthetic problem in the liver. It is normal, we we need to find a cause for a lower globulin gap. It could be an immune issue (low immunoglobulins) or something else.

Probably should work it up.
    No sir, I don't like it.

gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50) gbardahl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Actually it does. A poor nutrition state will result in low serum albumin and total protein.

We need to know the OP's albumin. If it is low, it could be a synthetic problem in the liver. It is normal, we we need to find a cause for a lower globulin gap. It could be an immune issue (low immunoglobulins) or something else.

Probably should work it up.
    Thanks for correcting me...although I was under the impression severe malnutrition was need for your blood protein levels to be low. Yes I too believe that more info is needed as their could be countless problems that can stem from low levels of blood protein.

SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpinFan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks guys! I think my doctor said it was my albumin. She also told me I need to eat more protein, which is the part that made me go "huh?"

Come round
    And it's driving me mad

Currently Cutting

Supps:
    ON Gold 100% Whey
    PurpleWraath
    REDuction

bump?

Come round
    And it's driving me mad

Currently Cutting

Supps:
    ON Gold 100% Whey
    PurpleWraath
    REDuction

Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SpinFan View Post
    Thanks guys! I think my doctor said it was my albumin. She also told me I need to eat more protein, which is the part that made me go "huh?"
    No, I'm sure it was your total protein. Normal albumin is much lower than 8 g/dL. You need to find out your albumin.
    No sir, I don't like it.

Ok, I will try to find out the breakdown. Mr Horse, you're knowledgeable, would low blood protein mean that i'm not getting enough dietary protein, or not necessarily?

Come round
    And it's driving me mad

Currently Cutting

Supps:
    ON Gold 100% Whey
    PurpleWraath
    REDuction

Ok, I will try to find out the breakdown. Mr Horse, you're knowledgeable, would low blood protein mean that i'm not getting enough dietary protein, or not necessarily?
    You already told us that you're getting more than enough. Like I said, we need to know the globulin gap (difference between albumin and total protein) to narrow down the potential causes.
    No sir, I don't like it.

So I just gave my Dr's office a call, and the numbers are:
    Total Protein - 6.2
    Albumin - 3.7

Thanks!

Come round
    And it's driving me mad

Currently Cutting

Supps:
    ON Gold 100% Whey
    PurpleWraath
    REDuction

So I just gave my Dr's office a call, and the numbers are:
    Total Protein - 6.2
    Albumin - 3.7

Thanks!
    Those numbers are normal.

Have a nice day.
    No sir, I don't like it.

Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Those numbers are normal.

Have a nice day.
    Thanks Mr Horse! I really dont understand my Dr. I poked around online and it looks like i'm on the low end of the normal range. I think I need a new PCP, this is not the first time she's been clueless about what results mean.

Come round
    And it's driving me mad

Currently Cutting

Supps:
    ON Gold 100% Whey
    PurpleWraath
    REDuction