mdude85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

i'm slim but just need to shed belly fat

Hello all! I am trying to figure out how t lose a few pounds in my stomach while maintaining my general body type. I am 5'7" 140 lb with a runners build so I don't really need to lose more weight overall. I just have been getting a slight beer belly over the last few months. I'd like to get rid of it before the beach this summer. Any exercise or dietary recommendations? Ab workouts? Not eating after a certain time at night? Fyi I am 23 y.o. Thanks!
    Scott

Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    what's your workout regimen like
    Gig em Ags

PR's as of 7/12/10

dl: 475
    squat: 405
    bench: 275

DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DtotheJtotheH has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    if you have a runners build...

run more, eat less...

you could try running in the morning on an empty stomach and/or not eating after like 8 or 9 at night ...

gotta find what works for you. Keep lifting and make sure to get your protein and bcaa's to maintain as much muscle mass as you can

Originally Posted by Froglegs88 View Post
    what's your workout regimen like
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I try to work out around 3 times a week, approx. 1-1.25 hours, including weight training and erg machine (15 min). Basic body groups -- chest/tri, back/bi/shoulders, then a few minutes for abs. In the few months before a big race (10+ miles) I usually cut down on the weight training and do a running training regimen.

Oh, I'd also like to add that I am open to gaining some weight. My ideal body weight would be around 145 lb, right now I hover 135-140. I'd like to try to add most in arms and chest while still maintaining a good cut look. At all costs I am trying to avoid adding those excess pounds right to belly fat.

I'm wondering if eating a lot of protein (shake) will put a lot of fat around my stomach if I drink it after a certain time at night, or if I supplement it with a meal? I'm open to a variety of dietary changes. I've heard that switching to "good fats" (nuts, skim milk etc) is helpful compared to bad fats (trans fats) may help properly distribute the fat instead of concentrating it on the stomach.

Any ideas???
    Last edited by mdude85; 03-30-2009 at 07:46 AM.
    Scott

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    To lose any body fat you need to create a caloric deficit. So start eating less until you start losing weight and make sure you're consuming enough protein to preserve the lean muscle mass that you do have.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Froglegs88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mdude85 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far.

I try to work out around 3 times a week, approx. 1-1.25 hours, including weight training and erg machine (15 min). Basic body groups -- chest/tri, back/bi/shoulders, then a few minutes for abs. In the few months before a big race (10+ miles) I usually cut down on the weight training and do a running training regimen.

Oh, I'd also like to add that I am open to gaining some weight. My ideal body weight would be around 145 lb, right now I hover 135-140. I'd like to try to add most in arms and chest while still maintaining a good cut look. At all costs I am trying to avoid adding those excess pounds right to belly fat.

I'm wondering if eating a lot of protein (shake) will put a lot of fat around my stomach if I drink it after a certain time at night, or if I supplement it with a meal? I'm open to a variety of dietary changes. I've heard that switching to "good fats" (nuts, skim milk etc) is helpful compared to bad fats (trans fats) may help properly distribute the fat instead of concentrating it on the stomach.

Any ideas???
    you should make sure to have a protein shake right after your workout, and some simple carbs. Your body can soak up a lot of protein and send it right to the muscles then, so throw a good 50 grams in there. Casein protein is better in the evening since it breaks down much slower than whey protein. I prefer low fat cottage cheese. Not a whole lot of calories, plenty of protein to fuel your body through the night, and I like the taste. I would think that with all the cardio you do already, cleaning up your diet would help a lot with losing fat.
    Gig em Ags

PR's as of 7/12/10

Originally Posted by Froglegs88 View Post
    you should make sure to have a protein shake right after your workout, and some simple carbs. Your body can soak up a lot of protein and send it right to the muscles then, so throw a good 50 grams in there. Casein protein is better in the evening since it breaks down much slower than whey protein. I prefer low fat cottage cheese. Not a whole lot of calories, plenty of protein to fuel your body through the night, and I like the taste. I would think that with all the cardio you do already, cleaning up your diet would help a lot with losing fat.
    Thanks -- if I eat a protein shake after a long run or workout, I presume this will help build muscle mass and not store as fat, correct? I understand the basic workings of protein supplement (biomedical engineering major in college) but I'm wondering if the OTC/bag whey proteins are full of a lot of un-necessary fat building ingredients?

I know this sounds like an impossible request, but I'd like to build the muscle that I have now but reduce the fat I have building around my stomach!!

Also, one concern is that my job involves a lot of sitting in front of a computer all day. I usually even eat lunch at my desk (usually soup or chili with bread from Whole Foods). How can I ensure that these foods do not build fat? I have the job flexibility to do a yoga or abs class or even workout in middle of day ... should I take advantage of it? Switch to cardio or weight-training workouts in the middle of the day instead of after work? Any advice here?
    Scott

kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks -- if I eat a protein shake after a long run or workout, I presume this will help build muscle mass and not store as fat, correct? I understand the basic workings of protein supplement (biomedical engineering major in college) but I'm wondering if the OTC/bag whey proteins are full of a lot of un-necessary fat building ingredients?

I know this sounds like an impossible request, but I'd like to build the muscle that I have now but reduce the fat I have building around my stomach!!

Also, one concern is that my job involves a lot of sitting in front of a computer all day. I usually even eat lunch at my desk (usually soup or chili with bread from Whole Foods). How can I ensure that these foods do not build fat? I have the job flexibility to do a yoga or abs class or even workout in middle of day ... should I take advantage of it? Switch to cardio or weight-training workouts in the middle of the day instead of after work? Any advice here?
    you don't say....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=109114281
    Rep Back 1k+ ....just sayin

"When we're in the gym, we're in this indescribable euphoria zone. It's a feeling of being on, of being completely alive and aware. If you haven't been there, then it's like trying to describe color to a person who's been blind since birth. Within this haze of pleasure and pain, there's knowledge and power, self-discipline and self-reliance."

Originally Posted by kamjah View Post
    Thanks - I was looking for something a little more substantive than our fat loss is predetermined by our genetics, since if it was determined by genetics alone, this forum would not exist
    Scott

kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000) kamjah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks - I was looking for something a little more substantive than our fat loss is predetermined by our genetics, since if it was determined by genetics alone, this forum would not exist
    the point to take away from it is that you have no control where body fat comes off. all you can do is lower your overall bodyfat % and wait for your belly to get smaller. that's about as substantive an answer as you're gunna get. there's no such thing as spot fat loss
    Rep Back 1k+ ....just sayin

"When we're in the gym, we're in this indescribable euphoria zone. It's a feeling of being on, of being completely alive and aware. If you haven't been there, then it's like trying to describe color to a person who's been blind since birth. Within this haze of pleasure and pain, there's knowledge and power, self-discipline and self-reliance."

P.Rock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) P.Rock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) P.Rock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kamjah View Post

QFT!!!
    March 23rd - 255.5lb
    March 30th - 248.5lb

Well, the best way to decide on a protein is to read the nutrition facts. Unfortunately there is no simple answer for which is best for you. However, I would say stay away from the weight gainers in your case because of the higher sugar content. As far as midday meals, make sure they are complex long burning carbs like oats, whole wheats, brown rice, sweet potatoes. Starchy carbs like white bread, white rice, processed flour, white potatoes, sugars and just about any carbs from processed foods are broken down much faster. This can cause an overflow of carbs, signaling the body to store it for later in the form of fat. When you work out is personal preference.
    Gig em Ags

PR's as of 7/12/10

IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're 5'7" and 140lbs?

In my opinion, you should forget fat loss for a while and bulk up to increase lean muscle mass. Once you have done this, it will be far easier to cut fat in the future and achieve definition in your abs.

If you are deadset on fat loss, I recommend you follow this step by step guide:
    1. If you know your body fat %, or are good at estimating it, go to #2. If not, check this post and get a rough estimate of your body fat %:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...&postcount=226

2. If you do not lift weights, you should start as soon as possible for many reasons even beyond those listed here:

-If you do not lift while you eating a caloric deficit, you will lose muscle and your metabolism will suffer. Muscle requires more calories daily than does an equal amount of fat. Losing vast amounts of muscle increases the chances that you will put some, if not all and more, of your weight back on when you try to return to semi-regular eating habits.

-It is actually possible to increase your body fat % while losing weight because your body is using primarily muscle as fuel instead of fat. Without weight training, you will most likely end up a smaller version of what you were previously. If you were big and pear-shaped, you will end up small and pear-shaped. Maintaining and adding muscle mass will help sculpt your body rather than simply shrinking it.

If you are new to weight training, do not have a basic or good strength foundation, or have interest in adding strength, I recommend Starting Strength:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

If you prefer split training or Starting Strength doesn't quite appeal to you, I recommend Gethin's 12 Week Transformation Program:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/12_w...ainer_main.htm

3. To prevent muscle loss, you need to eat an adequate amount of protein. You should eat about 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.

To calculate your lean body mass, take your total weight and multiply it by your body fat %. For me, this calculation goes as follows: 155lbs * .15 BF% = about 23lbs of fat on my body. You then take your fat mass and subtract it from total weight. This calculation goes as follows for me 155lbs - 23lbs = 132lbs.

I now know to include at least 132g of protein in my diet each day.

You don’t necessarily need to worry about your macro ratio. Get at least 15-20% of your calories from fat to ensure you are eating a healthy amount. Consider supplementing with EFAs such as fish oil, flaxseed oil, and other similar products.

In order to keep track of your food intake and make sure you are getting enough protein, you should sign up for a free account at www.fitday.com.

4. Strictly in terms of losing fat, cardio is optional. That said, cardio is great for your heart and general health. Whether it is walking, jogging, or playing a sport, do what you enjoy in terms of cardio. The length and intensity of the cardio is solely up to you should you choose to do it.

5. Calculate your daily calorie needs. It is possible you may be undereating or overeating. Try out Robby9999's calculator here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=35

6. After you calculate your daily calorie needs, you need to choose a daily caloric deficit. To lose 1lb. a week, your deficit should be ~500cals and to lose 2lbs. a week, your deficit should be ~1000cals. As a rule of thumb, you will lose a significant amount of muscle mass if your caloric deficit exceeds 31 * lbs. of fat on your body. Generally, slower is better.

For example, I have about 23lbs of fat: 23 * 31 = 713. The largest deficit I should eat at is about 700 calories.

To calculate the number of calories you should eat daily, take the number you got from the daily needs calculator and simply subtract your desired weight loss rate.

My daily caloric needs are about 2700 calories. 2700 – 700 = 2000 which is the number of calories I should eat daily. Plug in your own numbers and find your daily calorie intake.

7. For two weeks, eat the calculated number of calories above. If you were eating a deficit of 1000cals, you should have lost 4lbs. If you lost 1lb. less or more than expected, cut or add 200 calories from your daily needs number and eat the new number of calories for two weeks. If you are now at the expected weight loss rate, continue to eat at this number. If you are still losing too fast or slow, continue the adjustment process in two week increments.

8. Summary/Important things to remember:
    -Aim to decrease your body fat % not just your weight
    -Aim to maintain as much muscle as possible by eating 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass and sticking to a weight training program
    -Cardio is optional. If you do cardio, make sure you are accounting for it in the calorie calculator. Doing cardio provides great health benefits and will allow you to eat more food while still hitting your calorie deficit goals.
    -Remember, it is not the total calories taken in or burned that counts, but the difference between the two a.k.a. your caloric deficit.
    -If you follow all of the above steps, over time, you WILL lose primarily fat and greatly improve your body appearance and composition

This is a marathon not a sprint!
    Good luck with your training!
    ~IzzyT
    www.PowerliftingToWin.com

Originally Posted by IzzyT View Post
    You're 5'7" and 140lbs?

In my opinion, you should forget fat loss for a while and bulk up to increase lean muscle mass. Once you have done this, it will be far easier to cut fat in the future and achieve definition in your abs.

If you are deadset on fat loss, I recommend you follow this step by step guide:

Good luck with your training!
    ~IzzyT

Thanks for the informative paste!
    Scott