shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shainesboostin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protien before bed? yay or nay?

Ok, so my mom, started working out with a personal trainer. I have always drank a protein shake as soon as I wake up and rite before bed alot of the time. BUT according to her personal trainer, taking one before bed is just a waste! OPINIONS?

subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) subpolarbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nothing wrong with having a protein shake before bed time. Ask the trainer what his reasoning is. Probably b.s.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not a waste. Not necessary though.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bad_intentions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Before bed I would suggest using Casein protein for your shake. It is slow digesting and will your body will digest it in your sleep
    Body BLog - http://blog.bodybuilding.com/bad_intentions
    Workout Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128988271

otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There's no problem consuming protein before going to bed. I would say eat something slow digested like casein. When you go to sleep, your body is going through a fasting mode, so protein like casein would be much more efficient than isolated nor concentrated typo.

johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    protein before bed is better taken as casein.. aka "slow digesting protein". some examples are yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter. careful though, if you're watching calories, straight cottage cheese is prolly best.. oh.. wait.. i never tried straight casein from a supp store.. casein protein powder i mean. i'm sure that would be the best choice.. then cottage cheese. long story short, casein protein can take as long as 7 hours for your body to digest.. meaning most of the night, you're body will be in a much preferred "anabolic" state, as opposed to "catabolic". if you don't know what that means, jus search it.

actually here.. i'll do it for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolism

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by johnnygun207 View Post
    protein before bed is better taken as casein.. aka "slow digesting protein". some examples are yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter. careful though, if you're watching calories, straight cottage cheese is prolly best.. oh.. wait.. i never tried straight casein from a supp store.. casein protein powder i mean. i'm sure that would be the best choice.. then cottage cheese. long story short, casein protein can take as long as 7 hours for your body to digest.. meaning most of the night, you're body will be in a much preferred "anabolic" state, as opposed to "catabolic". if you don't know what that means, jus search it.

actually here.. i'll do it for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolism
    Fail.

you don't go catabolic overnight.

This is the biggest bodybuilding myth there is. When will the parroting end?

johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnnygun207 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    must be a pretty big myth then.. i've read this from a ton of sources. explain please.. i'm interested.

BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BBMechanics has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    absolutely yay
    Video editor for simplyshredded.com

Originally Posted by rhizome View Post
    Fail.

you don't go catabolic overnight.

This is the biggest bodybuilding myth there is. When will the parroting end?
    rhizome.. you haven't backed up your statement yet.. hence i consider it..

..bull****.

anyone care to explain his position on this subject, or do you think he's as retareded as i think he is for saying this?

bottom line, protein before bed will assist you in staying anabolic overnight, whether or not you may or may not wind up going catabolic overnight.

jerrelc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you're gonna take protein before bed take casein
    http://themusclediary.com

Mr.TamilNadu 2008 murali_biglee's Avatar
    murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) murali_biglee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if a person is on weight loss - personal trainers from certain schools advise not to take anything 2 hrs before the bed.. so that their body does not have any fuel before hitting bed...

but when retaining muscle is the goal - protein shake or some protein food before bed is a must....
    Cheers,
    Biglee

The greater danger for most of the people is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it...
    http://biglee-murali.blogspot.com/
    http://musclewallpapers.blogspot.com/

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by shainesboostin View Post
    Ok, so my mom, started working out with a personal trainer. I have always drank a protein shake as soon as I wake up and rite before bed alot of the time. BUT according to her personal trainer, taking one before bed is just a waste! OPINIONS?
    If we're purely talking about your mum, then it's not really neccessary worrying about taking a shake right before bed (or even whey powder itself again in her case).

Most middle/older aged people don't have the same goals as us guys on here with the bodybuilding. Their needs and goals are vastly different. Very few of my older clients use protein powders actually. We get them to focus more on their meals, what they consist of, and overall calories.

If this PT was referring to people like us, muscle men etc, then it'd be more of a debate where there's both validity to both yes and no to his comment of "just a waste!".

If he was referring to you specifically, then he can only comment once he understands your goal, your nutritional needs, and knows your training schedule etc. Which i doubt he's done, since like you said, he's your mum's trainer. Not yours.

In that case it's not a waste as such, most of us do have a shake before bed aswell, but it'd depend on other things. Is your protein intake severely lacking? Aren't you eating enough real food? What's your reasoning for wanting to have a shake right before bed?

Goes for everything. If you dunno why you're doin somethin, then stop and have a rethink about things.
    Last edited by Simmo0508; 03-25-2009 at 02:23 AM.

NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by johnnygun207 View Post
    rhizome.. you haven't backed up your statement yet.. hence i consider it..

..bull****.

anyone care to explain his position on this subject, or do you think he's as retareded as i think he is for saying this?

bottom line, protein before bed will assist you in staying anabolic overnight, whether or not you may or may not wind up going catabolic overnight.
    Personally I think this could probably be argued in both cases. If you get 8 hours of sleep that?s a long time not to eat and awake the body could possibly go catabolic BUT also when you?re sleeping your entire body slows down including metabolism?..

So really it?s a matter of research. It?s a tough one.

It's a good questions.
    "Fear is the mother of failure. You only live once act like it.."

"The only fear you have is that with-in your mind"

"I have gone way to far to ever give up..... Either keep up or watch me grow"

Originally Posted by NDMarts View Post
    Personally I think this could probably be argued in both cases. If you get 8 hours of sleep that?s a long time not to eat and awake the body could possibly go catabolic BUT also when you?re sleeping your entire body slows down including metabolism?..

So really it?s a matter of research. It?s a tough one.

It's a good questions.
    i do agree to a point.

but it is generally stated that most of your growth occurs at night, while you are sleeping. therefore, i would believe it is best to be equipped with slow digesting protein overnight. i usually get 30 grams from cottage cheese right before i fall asleep. seems to be workin for me anyways.

**but.. in10city did say it's not absolutely nessessary.. and this mofo has made some intelligent statements around this board. hopefully, in10, you can jump back into this thread and elaborate for me?

FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLEX_09 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    Not a waste. Not necessary though.
    ^^^ this.

If you need extra cals to meet your goals go ahead and drink it if you dont feel like eating, Its not a waste then.

Casein before bed I think is a load of bollocks. If you meet your calorie intake for the day you should be fine over night and theres no reason to eat any cottage cheese or any other casein product.
    ***Roelly Winklaar, Dave Henry & Brandon Curry Fan Club!***

NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NDMarts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good topic.

I guess it comes down to if you feel like eating or not. I know I always do!!

I hate going to bed hungry.

otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Does anyone notice when you take a casein form or slow digested protein before bed like milk, cottage, or solid meat/fish, you woken up with less hunger than when you eat concentrated or isolated?
    Mens sana in corpore sano

BB.com's workout journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116871971

Originally Posted by otongki View Post
    Does anyone notice when you take a casein form or slow digested protein before bed like milk, cottage, or solid meat/fish, you woken up with less hunger than when you eat concentrated or isolated?
    Me personally no. I always wake up hungry