.Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Olympic lifts in D-1 College Football?

How horrendous is the form at the collegiate level?

I'm going to Clemson University next year. Supposedly, this school has an excellent strength training coach (for football) named Joey Batson. However, the numbers just don't add up. In 2006, the "Strength All-Americans" were Dustin Fry on offense and Anthony Waters on defense.

Fry's maxes were a 340 lbs powerclean and a 410 lbs hang clean at a bodyweight of 320 lbs. Water's sported a 325 lbs powerclean and a 370 lbs hang clean at a bodyweight of 235 lbs. Both of these guys went through four years of Clemson's strength and conditioning program and lived and breathed football. They were given great nutrition and I am sure had very good sleep.

A few things don't add up to me. Why would someone's hang clean be that much higher than a powerclean? How does someone go through 4 years of a premiere strength and conditioning program and only clean 20 lbs over their bodyweight? Not to mention, these players are the best lifters on the team!

I first thought that maybe they didn't use cleans very often, but Batson lists it as the best exercise for a football program so I'm sure he uses it.

It just makes me question how major programs find their coaches.
    O-lifting log with vids of from every session:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=268870061#post268870061

^Need all the help I can get.

PhD in Broscience crackyflipside's Avatar
    crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000)
    All they do is cleans with horrendous form. Catch with wiiide legs and elbows down.
    Olympic Weightlifting: Cuban Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703396581

Snatch: 97kg
    Clean and jerk: 120kg
    Front squat 160kg
    Back squat: 170kg

RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If their hang clean is higher than their power clean, more than likely they are doing that double bounce bullsh!t off their legs. Obviously their form will be terrible. I have never actually observed a college football player cleaning decently.

madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My grad school certainly isn't Division 1, but there's a lot of great technique on O-lifts. They had 1 coach who has been one of the top 94kg on and off over the past decade, and a world-class powerlifter as the head strength coach (though he's gone now). Their cardio was several 3-minute rounds of boxing against a sparring partner, doing burpees between rounds. Brutal. Decent Ivy League team for sure, but nowhere near Division I.

But yeah, in general, if you take a look at some of the "cleans" done by top NFL prospects in college, they're horrid.

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It really depends some D1 schools do have good coaches that teach proper form, hell even some high schools have good weightlifting coaches.

.Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) .Goku. is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    But why are bad coaches in positions at lucrative strength jobs? Batson makes 150k a year which is extremely good from what I understand in the strength training community.
    Last edited by .Goku.; 03-17-2009 at 05:33 PM.
    O-lifting log with vids of from every session:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=268870061#post268870061

^Need all the help I can get.

madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000) madaozeki is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by .Goku. View Post
    But why are bad coaches in positions at lucrative strength jobs? Batson makes 150k a year which is extremely good from what I understand in the strength training community.
    People doing the hiring have no clue what they're looking for, and the "bad" coaches produce results because ANYONE would produce results given superior athletes, and these things perpetuate themselves. Besides, the "bad" coaches think they're great because of their results, and sell themselves well...

IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000) IGF-WON is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by madaozeki View Post
    People doing the hiring have no clue what they're looking for, and the "bad" coaches produce results because ANYONE would produce results given superior athletes, and these things perpetuate themselves. Besides, the "bad" coaches think they're great because of their results, and sell themselves well...
    this is all too true... im also surprised there arent more injuries from lifting with godawful form
    Dude your sig is so cool. - xl achilles lx

Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118731061