Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Once you get the size and muscle you want. How do you stop from getting bigger?

Should I stop taking protein shakes and supps after I get to the size and muscle I want to be? if I wanna maintain the same weight and muscle. Or will I lose my size and weight. Or should I just run alot more? I don't plan to take protein shakes forever. Just till I get to the size and muscle I want. I do plan to keep taking a multi-vitamin though to keep my healthy system stronger and to keep my energy up after working out.

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Rolo01 View Post
    Should I stop taking protein shakes and supps after I get to the size and muscle I want to be? if I wanna maintain the same weight and muscle. Or will I lose my size and weight. Or should I just run alot more? I don't plan to take protein shakes forever. Just till I get to the size and muscle I want. I do plan to keep taking a multi-vitamin though to keep my healthy system stronger and to keep my energy up after working out.
    It's actually quite funny.

The situation you're describing is exactly what most personal trainers strive to avoid: plateauing.

All you have to do is NOT change anything. Keep doing what you're doing, don't mess with the weight, the calories, the work sets, the work days.

DO THE SAME THING and you will get no better or no worse.
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TAK000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nickmanzoni View Post
    It's actually quite funny.

The situation you're describing is exactly what most personal trainers strive to avoid: plateauing.

All you have to do is NOT change anything. Keep doing what you're doing, don't mess with the weight, the calories, the work sets, the work days.

DO THE SAME THING and you will get no better or no worse.
    sounds really boring

always nice to have new things to achieve to keep stuff fun

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    why would you want to stop growing/getting stronger?

JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you get the size you want, you start lifting lower weights with higher reps to define instead of build

Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JRoberts1987 View Post
    When you get the size you want, you start lifting lower weights with higher reps to define instead of build
    Umm. How about no.
    Oceanside CA Brah.
    [Offical SD Crew Brah]
    475/310/405

1015 total at 162lbs on 10/25/2011. Goal for a 1000 total before 20, achieved.

Goal - 1200 Total by age 22

Current - 1190

JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JRoberts1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^ Yes, Lifting heavy with low reps gives you size, lifting light with high reps gives you defenition

Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr.BigLegs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^No. Losing body fat increases definition.

PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PumaKrieg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    why not strive to get even stronger?

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^ Yes, Lifting heavy with low reps gives you size, lifting light with high reps gives you defenition
    Sorry dude this is an old soccer moms myth.

To keep where you are, just keep the calorie intake the same and training consistent.

DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    when you tune a car and finally get the performance you want out of it, do you take it back to the original settings?

to maintain just don't change the weight your are lifting or your sets or reps and stay on the same workout. This will generally cause most people to plateau which Nick said is what trainer mostly try to avoid. In your case you want that.
    Increasing the reps may also work but you may also see some changes in muscle size etc. Everyones different, I know some people only work each body part out once a week so 4 out of the 7 days a week, and that is good enough to maintain what they have so everyones different, find out what works for you.
    PTS, NCCP, going to be working on CSEP once I finish my undergrad

Working on my honours BASc in Kinesiology and health and fitness promotion

-education and application need to used together, without one the other is useless

Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Young_One is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Umm how about no. Lifting heavy with low reps gives you strength, not size, high reps creates hypertrophy which creates muscle mass.
    Oceanside CA Brah.
    [Offical SD Crew Brah]
    475/310/405

Current - 1190

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Please leave this particular sub-forum. Thanks mate.

Did you get The Surgery? FresnoBeeDude's Avatar
    FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FresnoBeeDude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think this is a problem with dieters. Once they get to their ideal weight, they figure their dieting is "done" and revert back to old habits, thus causing weight gain. Since I am aware of this now, I know when I get to my "ideal weight/bodyfat" I will be at my maintenace for life stage. I will continue to "diet" and exercise. My exercise sessions may not be as intense, but I will continue them, as this is a lifestyle change I made 2 yrs ago.

I don't know if I answered the OP, or went off on a tangent.

Like language, if you don't use it, you'll loose it. Meaning, even though you are at a size you like, if you don't maintain it your muscles will shrink (atrophy).

I would never give up my protein shakes. Protein not only helps to repair damaged muscle, but also helps you to feel full (satiated). A tub of whey should be in every dieter's cupboard!
    ACE CPT

Currently studying to become a Lifestyle Weight Management Consultant

Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Young_One View Post
    Umm how about no. Lifting heavy with low reps gives you strength, not size, high reps creates hypertrophy which creates muscle mass.
    Ok, so, I want to keep getting stronger but, I don't wanna get bigger. How should I mantain this? am kinda confused now.

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FresnoBeeDude View Post
    I think this is a problem with dieters. Once they get to their ideal weight, they figure their dieting is "done" and revert back to old habits, thus causing weight gain. Since I am aware of this now, I know when I get to my "ideal weight/bodyfat" I will be at my maintenace for life stage. I will continue to "diet" and exercise. My exercise sessions may not be as intense, but I will continue them, as this is a lifestyle change I made 2 yrs ago.

I don't know if I answered the OP, or went off on a tangent.

Like language, if you don't use it, you'll loose it. Meaning, even though you are at a size you like, if you don't maintain it your muscles will shrink (atrophy).

I would never give up my protein shakes. Protein not only helps to repair damaged muscle, but also helps you to feel full (satiated). A tub of whey should be in every dieter's cupboard!

thats why i dont like to use the word diet.

I tell my clients that we are altering their eating habits, not going on a diet.

Its a permenant change, not a temp one.
    Last edited by jules_d1; 03-15-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Exactly right. That's one of the first things you explain to a newbie in terms of nutrition.

These people are littered with celebrity "diets", fad "diets", their favourite girly magazine's monthly "diet" etc. Our job is to totally throw that mentality out the window and change their perceptions towards food. They're meant to be like Jules said, adjusting their eating habits and that's it. A lifestyle change. Something they'll be adopting for the rest of their life.

Ok, so, I want to keep getting stronger but, I don't wanna get bigger. How should I mantain this? am kinda confused now.
    Just keep lifting heavier weights, but keep your calories on a maintenence level.
    Oceanside CA Brah.
    [Offical SD Crew Brah]
    475/310/405

Current - 1190

Originally Posted by Young_One View Post
    Just keep lifting heavier weights, but keep your calories on a maintenence level.
    Ok, thanks for the helps BB.com peeps.

jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000)

my 2 cents on protein shakes

wheather or not you should even be taking protein shakes in the first place has to do with your diet. taking protein shakes doesnt automaticly make you big!!!
    depending if you eat enough meat(chicken,beef,ect)If you want to maintain calorie intake and calorie expenditure should be equal to answer your question
    American College of Sports Medicine Certified Trainer
    (ACSM-CPT)

Aerobics & Fitness Association of America
    (AFAA-Certified PersonalTrainer)

Surprise yourself and unleash your potential!!!!!

my limits.... glove up and try to find them!!!!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=305434971&posted=1#post305434971

flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Stop taking steroids..............

josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000) josephinedalton is just really nice. (+1000)
    Typically, what you did to get there is exactly what you have to do to maintain. The day you stop consuming that extra protein or you switch to an easier workout... off the muscle goes !

As for your diet... I'd suggest finding out how much protein your body requires to maintain that amount of muscle and if you don't want to take protein shakes then eat real food (and you honestly don't need protein shakes... only if you can't get the protein thru regular food)
    A 40g protein shake is equivalent to 4.5 oz chicken breast..... but that chicken breast is good protein ! Your protein shake may not be . I personally like shakes.... they end up being cheaper for me than food...and alot easier to consume
    Josie "TRAINER JO" Dalton

Site: http://www.TrainerJo.com
    Talk Show: coming back soon
    FB: http://www.********.com/lasvegastrainerjo
    IG: @Ms.Trainer.Jo
    Google Plus: COMING SOON
    Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/trainerjo
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mstrainerjo

WhiteBo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I think the poster that suggests that you just continue doing exactly what you have been doing must be definitely right. Because when you continue with same workout, you just maintain. You don't put on any extra and you don't lose what you have already achieved.

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by josephinedalton View Post
    Typically, what you did to get there is exactly what you have to do to maintain. The day you stop consuming that extra protein or you switch to an easier workout... off the muscle goes !

As for your diet... I'd suggest finding out how much protein your body requires to maintain that amount of muscle and if you don't want to take protein shakes then eat real food (and you honestly don't need protein shakes... only if you can't get the protein thru regular food)
    A 40g protein shake is equivalent to 4.5 oz chicken breast..... but that chicken breast is good protein ! Your protein shake may not be . I personally like shakes.... they end up being cheaper for me than food...and alot easier to consume
    Thread de-rail engaged.
    I do agree protein shakes are not required. They are meant to be supplements.
    Please explain how a chicken breasts provides "good protein" and how a protein shake may contain "not good protein?"
    Only a life lived for others, is a life worthwhile.

lizzirgray90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Agree with everyone - maintain your training and eventually you will even begin to be able to train less with the same or higher resistance once your muscles have made adaptations to the training. Increasing your cardio by running may only cause you to lose muscle mass and get injured.

Your Rep Power: 2,457,269 Tommy_Gunns's Avatar
    Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tommy_Gunns is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pls go

Edit: Why the phuck was this bumped?

Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Chris0809 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just Lift heavy with low reps and eat at or below maintenance.. strength gains will be HHHNNNNNNNNGGGG Thats how oly powerlifters get so strong for their weight.
    Max lifts @ 165lb's

325 x 5 Squat
    235 x 5 Bench
    465 x 1 Deadlift