Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50)

QueLoQue's Keto Log

Hello everyone, i'm going to try the keto diet to drop weight. Don't care too much about mass. I'm 5'11 and 220 pounds. My goal is 160 to 165.
    Screenshot of what i've eaten so far on the first day.
    running to GNC to pickup the Body fat caliper so I can get a good reading.

Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sideways17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Congrats man! You have similar height/weight stats as me and im in my second week. Im down to 215 from 223. Good luck and enjoy!
    Last edited by Sideways17; 03-13-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    ''The greatest wealth, is health.''

''Sacrifice what you are, for what you can become.''

My XBox live gamertag is ''Sideways717''

queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Today I had over the course of the day:
    Current weight is 218 from 220 this week.
    1 Pure Pro Vanilla Smoothie
    1 String cheese
    3 Egg, whole, fried
    2tbs Olive oil
    1 smart dogs jumbo
    1 tbs Omega 3-6-9 Oil
    10 Green Olives (2.5 grams fat, 0 carbs, 0 protein) I LOVE OLIVES they complement foods very well, especially with tuna.
    frozen meatballs
    1 tbs in protein drink. Flax oil
    5 ounces of Broccoli, cooked with Ranch Buttermilk dressing
    Muscletech Nitrotech protein powder with flax oil
    Crystal Farms Cheddar Cheese Slice
    Tuna with Olive Oil with Pfeiffer Dressing Creamy Italian and olives

Total Calories
    Fat 154.7
    Carbs 31.9
    Protein 162.5

Fat 64%
    Carbs 6 %
    Protein 30%

Since its only been a couple of days so far on Keto the only direct difference is my dry skin seems a lot better than normal with the increase of fats and oils. I don't feel a lose of energy or anything like that. When I was eating high carbs it was mostly ice cream, cereals, rice, desserts and high quantity eating.

This round of food today I changed up a little and had an omelet with cheese, olive oil, and 4 cups of spinach stuffed in it and topped with some sour cream.
    I love sour cream.

Had about 9 ounces of Beef Chunk, diced with cilantro and seasoned nicely.

Had a protein drink with 5 tbs of heavy cream, tablespoon of peanut butter, cocoa powder and some Miracle fiber that has 5 grams of fiber per serving.

No loss of energy.

The only thing I miss in the keto is quantity of food and a big bowl of cereal.

anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good luck. i'm in virginia too, where are you at?

i thought i loved cereal but keto has shown me how carbs make you hungrier. i could never stop at one bowl. my skin also improved.

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    carbs are my personal crystal meth. Just say no.

Good job so far on the diet
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

Originally Posted by anniesbay View Post
    good luck. i'm in virginia too, where are you at?

i thought i loved cereal but keto has shown me how carbs make you hungrier. i could never stop at one bowl. my skin also improved.
    Northern, VA in the Arlington area for work and Manassas area for home.

I bought big bowls for my cereal. That is how much I loved eating cereal.
    I'm glad I was never big on pasta.

The carbs I liked were pleasure food or fun food. Ice cream with whipped cream on top with a squeeze of caramel or ice cream on top of a warm piece of apple pie, Cereal. Pancakes with melted butter topped with whipped cream. Always something fun to eat.

The skin change is pretty amazing.

Originally Posted by namtrag View Post
    carbs are my personal crystal meth. Just say no.

Good job so far on the diet
    Isn't that the truth with carbs.

Thanks...

kremost has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hehe, am liking the comments on cereal. You think it's healthy for you but it's really evil... I'd totally gulp down bowlfuls and feel bloated and sick with myself afterwards. Glad to be rid of it.

Just had a look at your macros - so you aim for 60/30 fat/protein? Was just wondering about my own diet which you commented on. I suppose my inner fear is still 'am I eating too much fat?', that's why I kind of try for 60/40... I suppose there's not too much of a difference though, is there?

Best of luck to you, and congrats on the progress so far! It's such a thrill to be going on the scale, isn't it?

So far so good. No change in weight. The one big thing I noticed on this site is that people get attacked a lot for asking simple questions. I guess you find that in every discussion board but most people come here to learn.

No loss in energy in general but I have gotten fatigue when I exert a lot of muscle energy.

I do get a bit hungry even while eating over 1000 calories of fats. Might have to increase I guess.

thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) thesilent1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    All the best mate; keep trucking.
    "It's all about getting back up"

since I decided to read "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald I will post excerpts of the book here for future reference that I find enlightening are details I have missed or others may have missed. This will just be part of my Log.

"Measurements of fuel use show that approximately 90% of the body?s total fuel
    requirements are being met by FFA and ketones by the third day (20). After three weeks of
    starvation, the body may derive 93% of its fuel from FFA (10, 21).
    For an individual with a metabolic rate of 2700 calories per day, roughly 2400 calories of
    FFA (approximately 260 grams of fat) are used to fuel the body. Considering that one pound of
    fat contains 3,500 calories, this represents a loss of almost two-thirds of a pound of fat per day.
    Smaller individuals with lower metabolic rates will use proportionally less fat. While this extreme
    rate of fat loss makes starvation attractive as a treatment for obesity, the problems associated
    with total fasting (especially body protein loss) make it unacceptable. The main point is that the metabolic state of ketosis causes a large scale shift from glucose to fat metabolism resulting in a much larger oxidation of fat than is seen on a more
    balanced’ diet. The ketogenic diet is an attempt to harness this shift to cause maximum fat loss
    and minimum muscle loss, as discussed in greater detail in the upcoming sections."

Definitely a detail I did not know. So I have a clear understanding
    of how much carbs I really need to eat knowing already what my body
    is producing anyway along with eating proteins and fats.

"Table 2: Sources of glucose during long term starvation
    Source: Glucose produced (grams)
    Amount of carbohydrate required by brain: ~40
    Breakdown of 180 grams of fat: 18
    Breakdown of 20 grams of protein: 20
    Total carbohydrate produced per day: 38
    in the liver and kidney"

anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anniesbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by queloque View Post
    So far so good. No change in weight. The one big thing I noticed on this site is that people get attacked a lot for asking simple questions. I guess you find that in every discussion board but most people come here to learn.

No loss in energy in general but I have gotten fatigue when I exert a lot of muscle energy.

I do get a bit hungry even while eating over 1000 calories of fats. Might have to increase I guess.
    is that how you got all those negative reps? yikes. I do think people are too flagrant with the reps.

However, I must say that I think the keto forum is chock-full of intelligent information and you can find any answer to any question if you search. I don't like people being lazy and asking every day "help i can't get into ketosis!" "can I have artificial sweetners??" etc. Somethings you may not get a definitive answer for because they are so specific to your own body and unfortunately some things are only learned through trial and error. If you want to whine about your diet or your macros, you start a log and whine there (like me )

Originally Posted by anniesbay View Post
    is that how you got all those negative reps? yikes. I do think people are too flagrant with the reps.

However, I must say that I think the keto forum is chock-full of intelligent information and you can find any answer to any question if you search. I don't like people being lazy and asking every day "help i can't get into ketosis!" "can I have artificial sweetners??" etc. Somethings you may not get a definitive answer for because they are so specific to your own body and unfortunately some things are only learned through trial and error. If you want to whine about your diet or your macros, you start a log and whine there (like me )
    I still don't know how the rep stuff work. Its so unimportant to me. if I piss someone off because they don't like my answer or my question, there is not much I can do.

Yeah on your last points, that is why its better to read like i'm doing on this keto diet. I'm learning a lot. Maybe someone might learn something from the posts I make from the book that everyone seem to base their diet off of.

It appears that there are certain caloric thresholds beyond which the physiological responses to diet and exercise change. As discussed in chapter 22, exercise has its greatest impact in increasing fat loss and decreasing muscle loss with moderate caloric deficits. (51) Once calories are reduced below a certain point, exercise generally stops having a significant effect.
    It may also be that once calorie levels fall below a certain level, there is increased muscle loss regardless of diet, especially in the first few weeks. That is, for reasons which are not entirely understood, the body appears to be limited in the quantity of fat it can breakdown without some loss of protein (52). This makes it difficult to measure significant differences in bodyfat and protein losses, simply because they are so high in both ketogenic and non-ketogenic VLCDs.

source: Lyle McDonald: The Ketogenic Diet

thanks for that. i just sent it to a friend who has plateaued for a very long time. she lost a lot of weight by only eating 1000 calories. she doesn't want to increase them and she calculates about a 1000 calorie deficit EVERYDAY. Between you and me, too, she looks like ****. She may be 30lbs smaller, but she's squishy

What is anti-ketogenic is an eye opener for me

So the amount of protein is more than trying to maintain your lean body mass, but eating too much can kick you out of Ketosis. Hope this helps guys.

"Carbohydrate
    Carbohydrate is 100% anti-ketogenic. As carbohydrates are digested, they enter the bloodstream as glucose, raising insulin and lowering glucagon, which inhibits ketone body formation. In fact, any dietary change that raises blood glucose is anti-ketogenic.
    As mentioned in the previous chapter, the brain is the only tissue which requires glucose in amounts of roughly 100 grams per day. If sufficient carbohydrate is consumed to provide this much glucose, the brain will have no need to begin using ketones. Therefore any diet which
    contains more than 100 grams of carbohydrate per day will not be ketogenic (2). After approximately three weeks, when the brain?s glucose requirements have dropped to only 40 grams of glucose per day, carbohydrates must be restricted even further.

Protein
    Protein has both ketogenic effects (46%) and anti-ketogenic effects (58%). This reflects the fact that 58% of dietary protein will appear in the bloodstream as glucose (3), raising insulin
    and inhibiting ketogenesis. Note that the insulin response from consuming dietary protein is much smaller than that from consuming dietary carbohydrates. Consequently protein must be restricted to some degree on a ketogenic diet as excessive protein intake will generate too much
    glucose, impairing or preventing ketosis. Protein also stimulates glucagon release and has some pro-ketogenic effects.

Fat
    Fat is primarily ketogenic (90%) but also has a slight anti-ketogenic effect (10%). This represents the fact that ten percent of the total fat grams ingested will appear in the bloodstream as glucose (via conversion of the glycerol portion of triglycerides) (5,6). If 180 grams
    of fat are oxidized (burned) per day, this will provide 18 grams of glucose from the conversion of glycerol."

Source: Lyles Mcdonald, The Ketogenic Diet

Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500) Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500) Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500) Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500) Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500) Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500) Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500) Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500) Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500) Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500) Jack612blue is not very helpful. (-500)
    email me McDonalds book pl0x at tmac619618@yahoo.com

Reps

Caloric deficit is not just decrease in calories eaten but also an increase in exercise.

So if you set up a 500 caloric deficit for yourself this could require decreasing your calories eaten by 250 calories and burning 250 calories when you are exercising.

Source: Lyles - The Ketogenic diet.

Well 41 grams of carbs today almost kicked me out of ketosis according to my ketostix.

still you're lucky to be able to get that many.

I know one thing, it is not hard to get full under 2300 calories if you really want to. I made some flax meal pancakes with protein powder and ate about a 6 or 7 inch disk with peanut butter on it and that did it for me for the evening. I'm going to try almond meal next time. Flax meal 4 grams of carb and 4 grams of fiber (break even) and almond meal 6 grams of carb and 3 grams of fiber. I got to have my fiber.

Had a serving of the pancakes for breakfast this morning, and very very filling.

2 tablespoon of flax meal
    1 scoop of protein powder
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoon of heavy cream
    cinnamon
    stevia sweetener
    water until a nice batter

Peanut butter spread on top
    Lets just say it will have to be an acquired taste but i'm not complaining.

I can't believe how full I am.

Fat should generally be avoided in a post-workout meal. First and foremost, dietary fat will slow digestion of protein and/or carbohydrate. Second, the consumption of dietary fat when insulin levels are high may cause fat storage after training.

Source: The Ketogenic Diet

swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50) swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50) swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50) swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50) swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50) swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50) swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50) swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50) swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50) swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50) swtpsblty will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hi

I'm loving your log - I just discovered Lyle's blog the other night and here reading your log is filling in a lot of blanks I didn't even know I had. For that I am bestowing a *huge* thank you. I like to understand the WHY. It really helps me stick to the plan

Originally Posted by swtpsblty View Post
    hi

I'm loving your log - I just discovered Lyle's blog the other night and here reading your log is filling in a lot of blanks I didn't even know I had. For that I am bestowing a *huge* thank you. I like to understand the WHY. It really helps me stick to the plan
    thank you very much!

Fat gain during the carb-up

During the first 24 hours of the carb-load, caloric intake will be approximately twice maintenance levels. This raises concerns regarding the potential for fat gain during this time period. We will see that fat gain during the carb-up should be minimal as long as a few guidelines are followed.

In a study which looked surprisingly like a CKD, subjects consumed a low-carb, high fat (but non-ketogenic) diet for 5 days and depleted muscle glycogen with exercise (22). Subjects were then given a total 500 grams of carbohydrate in three divided meals. During the first 24
    hours, despite the high calorie (and carb) intake, there was a negative fat balance of 88 grams. This suggests that when muscle glycogen is depleted, incoming carbohydrates are used preferentially to refill glycogen stores, and fat continues to be used for energy production.

Additionally, the excess carbohydrates which were not stored as glycogen were used for energy. In general, the synthesis of fat from glycogen (referred to as de novo lipogenesis) in the short term is fairly small. During carbohydrate overfeeding, there is a decrease in fat
    use for energy. Most fat gain occurring during high carbohydrate overfeeding is from storage of excessive fat intake. Therefore, as long as fat intake is kept relatively low (below 88 grams) during the carb-up phase of the CKD, there should be minimal fat regain.

In a similar study, individuals consumed a low-carb, high fat diet for 5 days and then consumed very large amounts of carbohydrates (700 to 900 grams per day) over a five day period. During the first 24 hours, with a carbohydrate intake of 700 grams and a fat intake of 60 grams per day, there was a fat gain of only 7 grams. Collectively, these two studies suggest that the body continues to use bodyfat for fuel during the first 24 hours of carb-loading.

In the second 24 hours, with an intake of 800 grams of carbohydrate and a fat intake of 97 grams, there was a fat gain of 127 grams (26) indicating that the body had shifted out of ?fat burning? mode as muscle glycogen stores became full. This is unlike the suggestions being made for the CKD, where the carbohydrate intake during the second 24 hours should be lower than in the first 24 hours. A large fat gain, as seen in this study would not be expected to occur on a CKD.

As long as fat intake is kept low and carbohydrate intake is reduced to approximately 5 gram/kg lean body mass during the second 24 hours, fat regain should be minimal. Once again, individuals are encouraged to keep track of changes in body composition with different amounts and durations of carb-loading to determine what works for them. Those who desire to maximize fat loss may prefer only a 24 hour carb-up. This allows more potential days in ketosis for fat loss to occur as well as making it more difficult to regain significant amounts of body fat.

Source: The Ketogenic Diet

The Moral of this story is that if you feed on extra crispy fried chicken during your carb up, you will store more fat with the high carb crust and saturated fat. High Carbs mixed with High Fat = Bad. So during the Carb up, it looks like you have to keep the fat way down. Personally, that really stinks.
    Last edited by queloque; 03-24-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Scale said 213 this morning from my last weight of 215 a week ago. I did cut calories because I sat at 215 for almost 2 weeks. So 7 pounds since I started. I account the first 5 pounds to water because that had dropped real quick.

Setting up CKD

The lowcarb week

Caloric intake:
    Mass gains: 18 calories per pound or more
    Maintenance calories/starting the diet: 15-16 calories per pound
    Fat loss: starting at 12 calories per pound

Carbohydrate intake
    30 grams or less per day. The fewer carbohydrates which are consumed, the faster ketosis can be established. The amount of carbohydrates consumed is more critical on a CKD than on either the SKD or TKD as there are only 5-6 days to establish ketosis.

Protein intake
    During the first 3 weeks of the CKD, protein intake should be set at either 0.9 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight or 150 grams per day, whichever is greater. After three weeks of dieting, protein should be set at 0.9 grams of protein/pound of bodyweight.

Fat intake
    Fat intake will make up the remainder of the calories in the diet

Getting out of ketosis: beginning the carb-load
    To shift the body out of ketosis and toward a more anabolic state, dieters will need to begin consuming carbohydrates approximately 5 hours prior to the final workout. At this time, a small amount of carbohydrates, perhaps 25 to 50 grams, can be consumed along with some protein and unsaturated fats, to begin the upregulation of liver enzymes.

Approximately 2 hours before the final workout, a combination of glucose and fructose (with optional glutamine) should be consumed, to refill liver glycogen. Once again, specific amounts have not been determined but 25 to 50 grams total carbohydrate would seem a good place to start.

Nutrient intake during first 24 hours of carb-loading
    LBM Carb Fat Protein Total
    (lbs) (g) (g) (g) calories*
    100 450 43 98 2600
    120 540 51 115 3100
    140 630 60 135 3600
    160 720 68 153 4100
    180 810 76 172 4600
    200 900 85 193 5100
    * The total calories consumed during the first 24 hours of the carb-load should be approximately twice what was consumed during the lowcarb week.

Nutrient intake during second 24 hours of carb-loading
    LBM Carb Fat Protein Total
    (lbs) (g) (g) (g) calories
    100 227 20 90 1448
    120 270 25 108 1737
    140 310 30 126 2014
    160 360 35 144 2331
    180 405 40 162 2628
    200 450 45 180 2925

Once again, the above amounts should be considered guidelines only.