sirsungy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

commercial quality...is it important?

Hi
    I'm new to working out and while looking for equipment to buy to work out at home, I found out there are like the gold's gym, weider and such which you can buy at walmart, sports authority... and there are parabody, tuff stuff which are I guess commercial quality. THe commercial quality ones cost alot more but i was wondering is it worth it? Like whats the difference are they more sturdy and thats it? Can you do exactly same exercises and get good results with lower quality stuff or will they break and will I end up regretting buying it and not spending more?
    thanks

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I prefer the commercial equipment and think it makes a big difference (especially with regards to a bench). However, I wouldn't consider parabody or tuff stuff commercial equipment. Yes, they are nicer than the gold's gym/weider equipment and a better choice, but I'd hold out for brand name commercial equipment. When I'm under heavy weight, I don't want any movement in my bench.

If you live anywhere close to a metropolitan area, you should be able to pick up a used commercial multiadjustable bench for a good price (between $150 and $250 - I prefer bodymaster). I would start with that and several pairs of dumbbells. Later you can pick up a power cage and olypic bar. Most of these items can be found on ebay or craigslist (better deals usually on craigslist).

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Depends what equipment you want and how its going to be used.

If several people are going to hammer the equipment day in day out, commercial quality is the way to go, as it will have better components/build quality.

For regular home use, a mid range rack like a parabody (insert long list of other reputable manufactures here) should be more than enough for most people.

Low end golds and wielder should be avoided. If its all you've got it'll have to do, but the extra investment in a mid-range (or even commercial unit if you find it 'cheap') will more than pay off in the long run.

Of course if you can get commercial/mid-high end stuff cheap second hand, thats the way to go.

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Let me clarify my remarks about preferring commercial. I was mostly referring to the additional stability that comes with a (used) commercial bench for about the same price if not less than the cost of a (new) parabody and/or tuff stuff. Additionally, if you decide to sell the parabody or tuff stuff, you won't recover much of your investment. With second hand commercial (assuming you got it at a good price), you can recover most if not all of your investment.

Having said that, I will agree that parabody and tuff stuff are more than adequate for most anything you will do. I've owned a tuff stuff multi-adjustable dumbbell bench and a tuff stuff multi-adjustable olympic bench with spotters. Both benches were well made. There was just a little bit of motion in the olympic bench. This was due to all of the adjustments that allowed the bench to be positioned differently. Not so much that I felt unsafe, just not as stable as my commercial benches.

When I upgraded, my best freind used them (tuff stuff benches) for several years. Now he has upgraded and has them for sale. They are still in great shape and will probably serve their next owner well.

Nevertheless, my preference is for commercial (at least with regards to the bench - I'm sure a parabody or tuff stuff rack would be fine).
    Last edited by dumb.bell; 03-12-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    Depends what equipment you want and how its going to be used.

If several people are going to hammer the equipment day in day out, commercial quality is the way to go, as it will have better components/build quality.

For regular home use, a mid range rack like a parabody (insert long list of other reputable manufactures here) should be more than enough for most people.

Low end golds and wielder should be avoided. If its all you've got it'll have to do, but the extra investment in a mid-range (or even commercial unit if you find it 'cheap') will more than pay off in the long run.

Of course if you can get commercial/mid-high end stuff cheap second hand, thats the way to go.
    This^^^

Light duty stuff (Wieder, Golds) rarely stand up to more usage than a teenager will put on it in their first couple of years working out.

Medium duty home stuff (Powerline) is good for most guys working out at home.

Heavy duty home stuff (Body Solid, Powertech, Parabody) will do for anyone working out at home and is usually feels as good to work out on as commercial quality stuff.

Commercial grade is only needed for the constant beating a piece takes in a gym situation. You don't really need this quality of construction if you take care of the stuff you buy.

That said the only real downsides to commercial grade stuff are the lack of versatility you find in some pieces (often fixed inclines, one movement machines etc.) and the price. If you find commercial grade pieces that avoid these pitfalls they are great to own.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

sirsungy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok i got a pretty good idea about the importance...but this is about the bench right? You cna't really buy bad bars or weights..right? i can't see how there could be such athing.

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    weight not so much, within a certain degree it weights the same. Bars vary in quality hugely. Cheap bars will bend permenantly and the sleeves can come off, and can't hold as much weight. Also they suck for olympic lifts.
    Better quality bars can last a lifetime if well maintained.

I agree with Essex. Weights don't matter that much, bars are more important. I prefer the 1500lb rated black oxidized bars that several manufactures make. However, I tend to go overboard on things.

A lot also depends on the type of lifts and how much you will be lifting. If you will mainly be benching, and aren't planning on doing more than comes with a normal set (255lbs), you can probably get away with one of the cheaper bars as long as you don't leave a lot of weight just sitting on the bar all the time. If you are going to do heavier squats and deadlifts, it might make more sense to invest in a better bar. I'm a big advocate of buying the best that your budget will allow up front, if you think this is something you will be doing for a while. Also, don't forget the used market. I'd rather buy higher quality used than inferior quality new. You should be able to pick up a 1500lb bar used for around $100. I just purchased a second hand powerlifting bar (needle bearing) for $100.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Most people will do just fine with ordinary residential equipment.

Commercial equipment is made heavier, more sturdy, and more durable. The joints are often welded, as opposed to nuts and bolts. The padding is of a higher quality, the steel is of a heavier gauge, and it is meant for heavier users and user weights. For most people the equipment is overkill for the home gym. You're never wrong by going with commercial, but it may be overkill for many. It's always at least 3-5x the cost. The best idea is to always try out the equipment before you buy. By doing just a few reps or rocking back and forth on something, that will tell you if it's adequate for your needs.

Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000) Squeebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think Wildtim nailed it the best. You're missing out on one or two levels in between the cheap light duty equipment and commercial grade. Most of the bench press units you'll find at stores are going to be low-end, but any power racks I would consider to be at least a step above that and a good choice for most people, without going overboard on something way beyond what you need.
    www.tworepcave.com
    Black Friday deals page updated daily through Nov 2022