Dirk94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

introduction/my workout

Hi everyone - there wasnt really an intro section that i saw of so i'll just post my story here.

Im a 15 year old male freshman in Highschool and this year i started wrestling for the first time. I'm 5'11'', weigh 136 lbs currently, and have 6% body fat. I lost 9 pounds at the beginning of the wrestling season (mostly fat, i had little muscle to lose) to make the 130 lb weight class. I was weak and had 10% body fat at the beginning of the season, but now that the season is over, i've noticed that i have gained a lot of muscle and lost a lot of fat (i've even gotten comments from other people). I think i'm still pretty weak though, and am looking to get as strong as i can by next season (maybe gain 10-15 lbs of muscle if i can).

Anyways, i also have very limited equipment (i.e. dumbells (can go up to 35 on each or 60 on one), a bench (not a bar just a bench to lay on, although it does have an extension at the end so i can do leg curls/extensions) and i am hoping to get a bar and plates in the next week. so as you see, i am pretty limited on workouts as all i have available is dumbells, and all the local gyms require me to be 16 to workout there.

Here is the workout im currently doing: btw been doing it for about two weeks now

Monday - chest/ a little back - dumbell bench - 23 lbs (28 on last set) - 10, 8, 6 reps
    - incline dumbell bench - same as dumbell bench
    - flys - 18 lbs (23 on last set) 10, 8, 6 reps
    - pushups - to failure
    - one arm rows - 60 lbs - 10, 8, 6 reps
    - the thing where you lift a dumbell straight in front of you
    with straight arms - 23 lbs - 10, 8, 6 reps
    -same things as excersize above but to the sides - 23 lbs - 10, 8, 6 reps

Tuesday -legs - (I dont have a bar so i just use a backpack with weights in it-- also, i only have enough weight to put 60 lbs in it)
    - Squats - 60 lbs - 10, 8, 6 reps
    - Lunges - 60 lbs - 10, 8, 6 reps
    - Calf raises? (stand on flat feet then go to tip toes) 60 lbs - 10, 8 ,6 reps
    - Leg Exensions - 65 lbs - 10, 8, 6 reps
    - Leg Curls - 65 lbs - 10, 8, 6 reps

Wednesday - Arms
    -curls - 23 lbs - 10, 8, 6 reps
    -hammer curls - 23 lbs - 10, 8, 6 reps
    -tricep pull ups - to failure

Thursday - Cardio
    - run 3-5 miles depending on weather conditions

Friday - Abs
    - not sure yet -- found a good workout on the main site and will probably use that one

Saturday - Rest day

Sunday - Cardio
    - 3-5 miles depending on weather conditions

And diet wise, i pretty much just eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a large lunch (sandwich, juice boxes, nuts, fruit, veggies), then when i get home i eat another sandwich and some nuts, then eat supper, then two more snacks before bed at 11.

All in all, im looking to gain a lot of strength, although not neccesarily mass. I was looking around the forums and saw that to do that i should do low reps but with more weight, correct? Anyways, i would just love advice on anything in general and critiques on my noobish workout routine...Thanks much!
    Last edited by Dirk94; 03-09-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Corey_Niles has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    How are you doing 23 etc? Ive never seen dumbells that didnt end in a 5 or a 0

Well i have dumbells that are just bars and then you can add plates to either end and screw on a cap, and the bar weighs three pounds

Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    why don't you just lift in the HS gym? The equipment there has got to be higher quality, more stuff you can se, and supervision/lifting partners. Honestly being a part of a group that lifts weights is going to push your strength a lot farther than if you did it alone

ahh, too young for the local weightroom sorry
    Last edited by Lonewolf24; 03-09-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: misread OP
    One Word: STAND.

Personal Trainer/Marathon Trainer/Wrestling Coach

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    your school doesn't have a weight room you can use? odd...

anyway, you might want to lower the weights on:

especially the side raises, because i doubt you can do that weight for that many reps with good form at this point, and starting lower and with better form will give you more room to progress. if you want to put on mass, then drink a lot of milk, but at this point it looks like you don't want to(i assume you're planning on wrestling the next few years), so you can disregard that if you want.
    my journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1201781

The HS gym has a retarted rule where you can only use it if you are on a sports team that is currently in progress (i.e track) but the wrestling season is over, so i cant use it. The wrestling coach, though, is starting post season training on the 16th and i will definately do that.

Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
    your school doesn't have a weight room you can use? odd...

anyway, you might want to lower the weights on:

especially the side raises, because i doubt you can do that weight for that many reps with good form at this point, and starting lower and with better form will give you more room to progress. if you want to put on mass, then drink a lot of milk, but at this point it looks like you don't want to(i assume you're planning on wrestling the next few years), so you can disregard that if you want.
    Thanks for the tip. And i already drink a lot of milk (in cereal at breakfast + atleast 5 more glasses a day), but you are right, i dont want to gain mass as much as i want get stronger

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wait, you're starting up off season lifting or just conditioning?
    my journal

Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lonewolf24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    sorry forgot to actually critique the plan-overall, the plan doesn't look too bad at all, but for strength you'll want to go even lower reps-lik the 3-6 instead of the 6-10.

From your situation and from what you tell me your goal is (strength not necessarily size), being an avid weightlifter and a certified personal trainer I would put you on the Starting Strength program (aka "Rippetoes Starting Strength" or "Madcow 5x5")

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...nts_thread.htm

and if you have any questions about the above link, go to:

Anything else, just private message me and I'd be happy to help
    One Word: STAND.

Personal Trainer/Marathon Trainer/Wrestling Coach

its a post season workout but im not sure what it will be yet. most likely lifting plus a little conditioning and a bit of live wrestling

well i don't think there'd be any harm in continuing that for another week; your coach'll have you on a lifting program by next week in all likelihood
    my journal

Originally Posted by Lonewolf24 View Post
    sorry forgot to actually critique the plan-overall, the plan doesn't look too bad at all, but for strength you'll want to go even lower reps-lik the 3-6 instead of the 6-10.

From your situation and from what you tell me your goal is (strength not necessarily size), being an avid weightlifter and a certified personal trainer I would put you on the Starting Strength program (aka "Rippetoes Starting Strength" or "Madcow 5x5")

and if you have any questions about the above link, go to:

Anything else, just private message me and I'd be happy to help
    Thanks a lot for that! So then how could i apply that to my current work out? Would i just do the workouts i am doing but do 5x5 instead of 10, 8 , 6 pyramid? or just kinda of scrap my current routine and just do exactly what it says?