SeVIIn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Skinny Beginner Need Suggestions

So I'm 6' 3" and only 140ish lbs I'm pretty much tired of feeling skinny and weak. So, I would like to start working out. Problem is I'm not sure where to start. I have about 200lbs of weights for my barbell and dumbbells I also have a pull up/dip "machine." Now ideally I would like to look like Brad Pitt from Fight Club but with some slightly bigger pecs. I know that is super cliche but to be honest I don't like the huge muscular look at all. I just want some decent size and good definition. The second pic is me now. I was thinking of starting either Stronglifts 5x5, starting strength, or P90x. Would any of those be good for me? Also, I've noticed a lot of people gain good size but just end up looking big and fat without any definition. If there is a way to get both size and definition from a workout? Lastly are there any good benches that anyone would recommended buying that don't take up much room?
    Attached Images

Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000) Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000) Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000) Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000) Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000) Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000) Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000) Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000) Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000) Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000) Casey Butt is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You have bones like a bird, so without pretty hefty doses of anabolic drugs it's unlikely that you will ever be able to develop the "the huge muscular look". The "Fight Club" look, however, is quite possible. But here's the catch, you will probably find it just as hard to fill out that thin frame and get the "Fight Club" look as some naturally bigger men do to get "huge". It's all relative to where you start and your genetic endowment to build muscle. Regardless you still have to think like a bodybuilder trying to build up.

Get on a good, basic program that focuses on progressively heavier lifting. Forget about exotic, flavour of the month, routines and supplements. Concentrate on building a base of muscle and strength by focusing your energy on lifting heavy (for you) weights.

Whether you like it or not, you must eat and eat hearty to fill out that frame. Yes, it is possible to gain muscle without fat at first, but after awhile that ends and nutrition (enough of it) becomes critical. Eat your meat, drink your milk and lift heavy weights. Don't train more than 3 times a week at first. For someone as skinny as you elaborate split routines won't pack muscle on you. Hit your body hard, relatively briefly, then go home, eat, rest, eat, sleep. The next day be like a cat that's been in a fight, lie around, lick your wounds, eat and recover. Then the day after that go back to the gym and do it again. That's how a strong muscular base is built.

Most important of all: Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will you be. Starting out you have to have the maturity to let that sink in and then resolve that you will do what it takes to build your body, one step at a time.

Follow these rules: http://www.weightrainer.net/training/rules.html

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SeVIIn View Post
    So I'm 6' 3" and only 140ish lbs I'm pretty much tired of feeling skinny and weak. So, I would like to start working out. Problem is I'm not sure where to start. I have about 200lbs of weights for my barbell and dumbbells I also have a pull up/dip "machine." Now ideally I would like to look like Brad Pitt from Fight Club but with some slightly bigger pecs. I know that is super cliche but to be honest I don't like the huge muscular look at all. I just want some decent size and good definition. The second pic is me now. I was thinking of starting either Stronglifts 5x5, starting strength, or P90x. Would any of those be good for me? Also, I've noticed a lot of people gain good size but just end up looking big and fat without any definition. If there is a way to get both size and definition from a workout? Lastly are there any good benches that anyone would recommended buying that don't take up much room?
    SS & stronglifts would both be very fine choices. With consistent, progressive training expect to gain around 12lb in your first 3 months and around 25lb over the first year and to have to EAT enough to accommodate that (but not much more).

Again, as i said, SS and stronglifts would both be a great start to your lifting career. I would personally recommend SS, which is more proven and essentially what stronglifts is based on anyway.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

SeVIIn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the advice! I have to admit I have the worst sleeping habits ever and I normally dont get more then 7 hours at the most. I'll try what you said though I was planning on going to the gym today. I'll just lift heavy and do compound exercises.

tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10) tony_mid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SeVIIn View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I have to admit I have the worst sleeping habits ever and I normally dont get more then 7 hours at the most. I'll try what you said though I was planning on going to the gym today. I'll just lift heavy and do compound exercises.
    If I was you I'd check into the BFS program its great at mixxing up set/rep while you learn a variety of compound lifts that will no doubt help you with your future workout plans. My strength coach in highschool implemented this program and worked great for all the students. Just make sure you have somebody showing you proper technique for all the lifts or you will end up injured when you try to move bigger weights.