Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Red face New guy looking for some motivation.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums, well...I think I posted once a long time ago about a bad product purchased from the BB store, shaker bottle broke, but soon replaced by the BB customer service team, thank you BB store.

Anyway here is my short story. I am 39, bday was yesterday (Feb 24th) and it is now time for me to do something. I need to get into shape. I need to quit making excuses. My basic stats are I'm 6'1", around 195lbs, not sure of my Bfat. I don't smoke and I do have an occasional beer, one weekend a month with friends, if that.

My goals are to add some muscle weight, especially my chest, arms and upper body, lower body is pretty decent shape. Here is my biggest goal though, I have a belly, I know for my height/weight ratio that may or may not be hard to believe, but I do...I have a belly and love handles. I need some help and motivation on losing it.

Here are some of my problem areas and weaknesses. First, I work a 3rd shift job. I have no access to a gym, so everything would need to be done at home. I feel fatigued/tired a lot, I don't think it's because of 3rd shift, I had this before I started my 3rd shift job, I also have been checked out from the doctor, but everything was fine, but like I said my body feels fatigued/tired most of the time.

Another problem I have is getting motivated to do something. I'm not sure if this is because I'm tired a lot, or if I'm just to damn lazy. For the most part my diet is good, if I have any weaknesses related to diet it would be the occasional soda, maybe 3-4 a week, and my love for bread and pasta. I also tend to get bad sugar cravings, so I usually grab something sweet like OJ or some type of candy to help.

Supplements I have are protein shakes, fish oils, and one a day vitamins. I usually eat oatmeal with raisins when i get up. I also drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day. I eat a lot of tuna, chicken, veggies, bananas, turkey sandwiches, etc.

I would like to get some diet/training suggestions in this post if everyone doesn't mind, I don't want to start several threads related about the same topic. If I have missed something please ask and I'll be sure to post it.

And last, sorry for such a long as post.

Thank you,

Loque

pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only thing I have right off the bat is don't eat too many bananas!!! Next comes bread, processed turkey??? "X" the OJ, sweets, and pop period! Eat a whole orange and grapefruit instead.
    Get out and do some HIT style sprints!
    Do you have any weights at home?
    Too bad you don't have access to a gym because more often than not - that's what people need to get motivated.

Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50) Loque will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by pac8x8 View Post
    The only thing I have right off the bat is don't eat too many bananas!!! Next comes bread, processed turkey??? "X" the OJ, sweets, and pop period! Eat a whole orange and grapefruit instead.
    Too bad you don't have access to a gym because more often than not - that's what people need to get motivated.
    Ya some turkey is process and some deli, depending on my shopping habits. Does it matter if the grapefruit is ruby red or just a plain ol' grapefruit?

I have some weights at home, probably will get me a cheap weight bench and some dumbbells, beats nothing. I have a treadmill too.

pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Loque View Post
    Ya some turkey is process and some deli, depending on my shopping habits. Does it matter if the grapefruit is ruby red or just a plain ol' grapefruit?

I have some weights at home, probably will get me a cheap weight bench and some dumbbells, beats nothing. I have a treadmill too.
    no treadmill!!! Treadmill overworks your hip flexor and you get no "ass" benefit because the belt moving along provides almost zero resistance....find a local HS track / walking/bike path or greenbelt and hit it!
    Doesn't matter what type of grapefruit as long as it's whole. Fruits like Bananas and fruit juices, including OJ are way too much sugar all at once which fills your liver up with glycogen, then the extra carbs can easily spill over into fat storage. Deli meat is garbage! Buy whole natural meats and look for gluten free bread if you can find it. Most breads will leave you lethargic feeling including pastas. Main thing is to avoid is sugary foods, juices, pop - which will cause your blood sugar to wander out of control and leave you tired.

So are you currently messing around with 'em weights or not?

jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Its not that hard to do, I had love handles which are now baby bumps and a stomach which has gone down in size as well, most of the fat for me so far though has come off my back, so I guess everyone is different. I have learned alot from the guys and girls on this site. I only started training and eating right 9 weeks ago and whilst I now working out 6 days a week and have been for 9 weeks, there is one thing that is constant in all weight loss threads here and that is, eat less calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight. Whilst training will help to burn off the calories and build muscle, the only way to lose weight is to consume less. You will need to work out your maintenance calories to stay at your current weight and then reduce that by no more than 500 per day. At weeks end, you would have consumed 3500 less calories than your maintenance weight. Trust me, I took this advice from the guys here and it works. Dont expect the weight to drop off in one week though. In 9 weeks, I have gone from 234.5lb to 222lbs.Dont forget though, as your weight reduces, redo your maintenance and adjust calorie intake accordinally. Have a look at some of the threads in here, they have been invaluable to me and Im sure they will be to you.
    Last edited by jeffaus; 02-25-2009 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks a lot guys for the replies. Sorry for the late response, had to get some sleep.

Pac, when you say buy whole natural meats, what do you mean exactly, sorry to sound lost, but I've never bought it, it's usually deli meat I buy. Also you said the treadmill gives a flat ass, well...that explains my flat ass, lol.

I will work on getting the grapefruits, I love grapefruit, just didn't realize bananas and oj could be part of the problem.

I'm currently not messing around with weights, the whole purpose of this post was to get started working out and getting in shape, getting ideas.. I would like a routine where I did a few body parts a day, for example, arms and shoulders one day, back and chest another, and so on.

I plan on going down today to the local fitness equipment shop today and get a dumbbell set, I know its not much but it's a start.

Jeffaus, you mentioned not to expect the weight to drop off in one week, I think that's another problem I have, when dieting and exercising before I would get discouraged and give up because I would get impatient and give up after a couple weeks.

My goal is to do better this time, I gotta do it.

By the way guys, I have a Rottweiler, so I plan to start running or brisk walking with him. Right now I honestly can not run far distances, but I will work up to it. I took him out last night (after my original post) and we walked and ran (I ran what I could) about a mile.

-Loque
    Last edited by Loque; 02-25-2009 at 09:42 AM.

bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10) bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10) bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10) bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10) bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10) bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10) bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10) bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10) bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10) bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10) bluerenault is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i'm much in the same boat, hitting 39 this year needing to get rid of the belly, i'm 5'10 and 183 pounds, no access to a gym either, i use dumb bells to build muscle and a step machine for cardio, i also have one of those big beach ball things which i use as a weight bench as theres not alot of room, as well as being cheap, i also got one of those sit on ab chairs, since january i,ve lost 5lbs, motovation is a problem for me to, i find reading this site and reading other peoples achievements a big help, gave me the courage to stick a picture on to.

Well it's tough finding "natural" meats because they're expensive, some groceries are offering them. Ideally the meat should be whole and non-processed like beef, chicken, and turkey breast.

I recommend when you get use to moving outside with walks and some running, you don't necessarily need to go far... Sprints/running in HIT (High Intensity Training) are great for developing a firm butt ox. You won't develop much muscle if you started doing marathons...

Too much fruit can be a killer, someone previously pointed me to this info: see:http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa14.htm This is why most bbr's pre-contest will limit or avoid fruit intake. Non-refined complex carbohydrates are best, you don't need to eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast, have eggs and meat too, then eat oatmeal a little later in the day. Your diet should be mixed up constantly with a variety.

You can achieve substantial results from doing calisthenics such as pull-ups, push-ups, standing presses against a wall, stationary lunges all angles, bodyweight squats etc... I have a friend that teaches&participates fully in a "cross-fit" class for only 20 minutes 3 times a week, and he's ripped and huge at 35. He lifts maybe once or twice a week with actual heavy weights.

Yes Calories in and Calories out is important, but the kind of calories is extremely crucial You can't eat a lot of calories in the form of refined-junk, fruit, and juices & expect results. Once you get to where you want to be, then you can start eating some non warranted calories with little concern.

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Hey Pac

BACK OFF THE GRAPEFRUIT ...........................ESTROGEN MAYBE NOT SO MUCH BUT IN MY SHOES EVERY BIT COUNTS
    Land of Honalee

V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10) V-Robb is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can do it! I don't belong to a gym or anything either - got so little time as it is... So we are in similar circumstances.
    I've found that calorie substitution - high quality/high protein calories instead of low quality/low protein/high carb calories - can do wonders all by itself. But I've also go a bunch of weights in the guest bedroom. Started out slow and low a few months ago around Thanksgiving time, and now I've moved up to multi-sets of full failure lifting! I don't do much cardio, I tend to be on my feet all day so that's not really a problem.

If you're looking for a protien supplement you can't go to far wrong with Gaspari's IntraPro - great quality calories and tastes INSANELY good! That, and the Supreme Protein rocky road bars are just ridiculous! Find some MRP's/MRB's that you like and you're on your way!

Perseverance and Discipline, something we don't have much of when young but get more as we get older!

Oh, BTW, Rotties are the best! Got two myself.
    Last edited by V-Robb; 02-25-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Looking to reach my full pump-tential!

Lift long and prosper...

Wink HIT For your Dog as well, so you can train together.

H.I.T. AND RUN YOUR AGILITY
    DOG TO SUCCESS
    By Bob Fritz

As canine nutrition emerges from the Dark Ages, today's dogs are now able to attain major improvements in health and performance. It's not an exaggeration to observe that if you study hard and do the homework, your dog can get the same enormous nutritional benefits enjoyed by today's Olympic and professional athletes.

But canine physical conditioning lags far behind these modern nutritional advances, limiting dogs from reaching their true potential. While training, like operant conditioning and obedience work, has become quite sophisticated, physical training remains rooted in myths that hold back canine performance.

New discoveries into the nature of the canine body, coupled with recent advances in human conditioning, offer an exciting new method of workouts enabling agility dogs to attain higher levels of performance. This method is called H.I.T., short for High Intensity Training. H.I.T. empowers dogs to reach higher levels of canine fitness, increased performance and reduced fatigue. And as a side benefit, H.I.T. workouts take much less time and reduce the chance of injury.

H.I.T. is not obedience or other type of training. Instead, H.I.T. is a physical conditioning program to make the other training dogs do more productive and effective. H.I.T. builds high level fitness so your dog fatigues much less during training, meaning his focus and concentration are improved. In turn, reduced fatigue translates into improved agility performance and reduced chance of injury.

The only downside to H.I.T. workouts is that they require a little more attention to detail and observation of your dog. And H.I.T. workouts are most productive with the use of an electric treadmill, which admittedly, can be a fairly expensive purchase. But the small amount of added work and cost is far outweighed by the rapid gains in health and performance H.I.T. provides.

H.I.T. workouts are increasingly popular with serious human athletes. A recent study showed H.I.T. workouts increased metabolic rate and calorie burning for an incredible 15 hours after workouts, compared to just 2 hours for aerobic conditioning.

WHY H.I.T. WORKOUTS?

The dog is the ultimate land aerobic athlete. In their ability to utilize oxygen during long-term running, wild canines like wolves beat them all. And as research by the late Dr. Taylor of Harvard and others has shown, domestic dogs share this remarkable aerobic capacity. In fact, canine athletes have over twice the capacity to produce energy aerobically than even the best Olympic marathon champions.

Because of the ultra-high aerobic capacity of canines, most dogs never reach their true potential. That's because dogs possess so much inborn aerobic endurance that almost any exercise increases their fitness to levels far above humans. And that's accepted as OK, even at top level agility competition. But because canine fitness gains seem so easy, few dogs are taxed to upper the levels they are capable of, never developing their true potential.
    Maximum Heart Rates for Humans and Dogs

Sport scientists typically use heart rate measured in beats per minute as an indicator of how hard an athlete can and should exercise aerobically. There is an optimal "training zone" which is generally between 50-75% of the maximum heart rate. In humans, the maximal heart rate is about 220 beats per minute, so the training zone is about 150-175, depending on the age of the individual.

Problem is, dogs have maximal heart rates far above humans and far higher than most fanciers are aware of. During exercise, the canine heart can beat 300 beats per minute, which would prove fatal to any human athlete. At 300 beats per minute, the canine heart pumps several times every second! By the time your own feet begin to hurt and you're running out of air, your dog is actually just getting warmed up.

In reality, dogs have to work very hard to reach the upper levels of their training heart rate zones. Workouts that are taxing for humans exert the dog much less. For example, running at a rate that exhausts humans is far below even the lower range of the canine training zone for a fit dog.

H.I.T. is the ideal method of achieving the higher heart rates needed to induce higher level fitness in Agility dogs. Ordinary conditioning techniques fall short of achieving the upper levels of heart rate and subsequent fitness gains that H.I.T. provides. In the 21st century, H.I.T. will become a common conditioning strategy for entering the winner's circle.

H.I.T. WORKOUTS

H.I.T. basics are simple. The opposite of aerobics, which are done at a constant speed, H.I.T. workouts involve periods of hard running, immediately followed by a recovery period sufficient to let the dog "catch his breath". Then, the dog runs very hard again, rests again, runs, rests, etc. This work and recovery cycle is repeated multiple times during the workout, raising the heart rate in the high canine training zone where real improvement occurs.

H.I.T. workouts are ideally done no more than 3 to 4 times per week. Any more than this, overtraining tends to occur.

How hard and how long each run lasts, coupled with the amount of rest time taken to catch a dog?s breath between each run, is what makes H.I.T. different from other types of conditioning.

PART 1: HOW HARD AND LONG A DOG RUNS
    There are two main factors determining running intensity. First, is the rate-in other words, how fast the dog runs. Second, how long this speed is kept, the duration. Generally, H.I.T. running speed ranges between 2 to 12 miles per hour. The greater the speed, the faster the dog fatigues.

PART 2: THE REST INTERVAL BETWEEN RUNS
    The length of the rest period is important. The time must be sufficient to recover enough for the next run. Generally, rest intervals range from 30 seconds to 5 minutes, depending on the intensity of the run (above) and the dog's physical condition. As dogs become fitter, they recover faster.

Human athletes increasingly use electric treadmills for H.I.T. workouts, and these machines are also ideal for conditioning. Today's electric treadmills enable you to control speed and rest intervals exactly, so you precisely tailor workouts to your dog's current ability and goals. Electric treadmills are useful during bad weather, offer safety advantages and are durable and well made.
    SAMPLE H.I.T. WORKOUT

General Warm-Up 5 Minutes 2 MPH
    #1 Run 2 Minutes 8 MPH
    Recovery Walk 2 Minutes 2 MPH
    #2 Run 2 Minutes 8 MPH
    #3 Run 2 Minutes 8 MPH
    #4 Run 2 Minutes 8 MPH
    #5 Run 2 Minutes 2 MPH
    Cool-Down 5 Minutes 2 MPH

So there's an effective H.I.T. workout. In about 30 minutes, your dog reached the heart training zone needed to build higher levels of power, endurance and performance. In the process, you've helped develop an enhanced ability to clear lactic acid, stimulated hard to reach explosive fast twitch muscle fibers. Plus, you stimulated the metabolic rate and help burn fat.

SIDEBAR

* H.I.T. is best done at end of training session, after obedience and other work.
    * 3-4 times per week of H.I.T. is sufficient, more leads to overtraining.
    * As the dog's fitness increases, increase the speed and/or time of the runs,
    or shorten the rest interval.
    * Use H.I.T. to gradually build fitness over time-do not rush it.

SUMMARY

Almost any performance-bred dog beginning with good health and reasonable fitness can make major gains from H.I.T. H.I.T. is increasingly popular with human athletes because it augments aerobic and other training, while taking little time. Yet, H.I.T. delivers enormous payoffs. After you use this scientific conditioning program, you'll see why you can now H.I.T. and run your dog to agility success.

edit: thought I remove the link before I gotz into trouble.
    Last edited by pac8x8; 02-25-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Well it's tough finding "natural" meats because they're expensive, some groceries are offering them. Ideally the meat should be whole and non-processed like beef, chicken, and turkey breast.
    Sometimes my post are hard to understand :P. Anyway for the most part I eat natural beef, chicken, etc...but when I eat a sandwich for example it is usually deli sliced turkey or chicken, and on occasion pre packaged turkey.

What I will start doing is posting what I eat daily, then maybe you guys can help me tweak it. My biggest problem is eatting the six meals a day. Like I said 3rd shift kind of makes it hard, although I have started taking my lunch, which is usually chicken and broccoli (yes I get gassy), or tuna sandwiches. Is eating to much white rice all that bad? I sometimes have that with chicken.

I also tend to take Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein throughout the day.

I need to work on what is causing me to have little or no energy. Maybe once i get a routine down the energy will come. I forgot to mention, I do take medication, for a thyroid problem, Levothyroxine.

Well guys, I'm going outside with the dog, gonna take a nice walk/run. I'm off today, so hopefully I can get some exercising in.

Again, I appreciate all the input.

DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DanVanVliet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Get off your ass and get into the gym Hows that?
    I miss Beer
    I'm Ready (SpongeBob Squarepants)

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DanVanVliet View Post
    Get off your ass and get into the gym Hows that?
    Jeez....you are so vague in your response.<grineth>

To the OP: IMO you've gotten much of the advise needed to get it together.
    Of course, the task is on you to get creative enough to do what you need to do.
    Everyone has distractions on occasion but one does have to know their 'priorities' and make it happen.

Good luck on your quest.

www.soundclick.com/wayneevansproject
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

Ok, a few updates.

I finally took some pictures of myself and the pics don't lie. The pictures show more of what I could not see, more detail and more of what I need to work on. Like I stated in my original post I need to work on my chest and upper body the most, while losing my love handles and belly.

I had my girlfriend to take the pics, she's cool like that and doesn't judge me, but the pic of my back stood out the most, I could see the love handles more, etc.

I have purchased a used bowflex (don't hate, it beats nothing) for my computer room. Right now my computer room has two desk, one with the computer and one with junk on it. So needless to say I am going to move the junk desk to the garage, and the Bowflex will be coming in here.

I also still plan to purchase a dumbbell set (didn't get the chance to the other day) and put that into the room as well. I have started a journal on my computer, something I will update daily.

My overall weight is 200lbs, I thought I was around 195, but still close. Getting back to the pictures, I actually made one my desktop wallpaper, so it gives me something to see every time I sit down. I will post the pictures once I start to see some change, not going to now because of a little bit of the self confidence issue.

I need some advice on some snacks (maybe snack is the wrong word, but you get the picture) late at night, remember I work a 3rd shift job (10PM-6AM), so my time eating is kind of weird. If someone wouldn't mind helping me plan out an ideal meal, something to guide me I would appreciate it.

I usually go to bed around 7am and get back up for the day around 1-2pm. Well guys and ladies, I'm going to go outside and run, walk what part I cant run. Speaking of running, my chins tend to be th first thing to slow me down when I run, they get to aching, is this my legs and body just getting back in shape? Also, what is a good at home way to measure body fat, or is that even possible?

Take care and thanks again everyone.

-Loque
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Tired??

You said you were checked out by your Doctor. I assume he did the following minimal items for a man your age complaining about fatigue and you know the results:

Both PSA and digital prostate
    Colonoscopy
    Complete blood panel after 12 hour fast
    Testosterone, Free Testosterone and Estroidols blood test
    Treadmill stress test
    24 hour heart monitor

What was the outcome of the above tests?

Baldie

bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10) bayou_piper is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I need some advice on some snacks (maybe snack is the wrong word, but you get the picture) late at night, remember I work a 3rd shift job (10PM-6AM), so my time eating is kind of weird. If someone wouldn't mind helping me plan out an ideal meal, something to guide me I would appreciate it.
    First, congrats. I was where you are about 5 months ago and it took me a good few months to figure out how messed up my diet was. So good job asking these question early, you can avoid the frustration I felt.

Snack ideas, I use. Most of these were stolen from the boards here.

1. Canned tuna, lime, and pepper. (This has become a regular for me.) You can prepare it ahead of time in a plastic container. Empty the tuna squirt it with half a lime and pepper. I will usually eat this with a whole wheat pita, but you can also just eat it with a fork if you are getting enough carbs.

2. Big can of nuts. I like mixed nuts and you can get some pretty large/cheap containers at wallgreens or costco. I look for the low peanut counts. Grab a handfull when you are hungry.

3. Romain lettuce and lean turkey. I use the lettuce like a boat, put the turkey on and hit it with a drop of mustard for flavor. (need a fridge or cooler for this one)

4. Hard boiled eggs. Cheap, easy, peal and eat. I usually pitch 3 out of 4 yolks.

5. Celery and natural peanutbutter. Cheap and easy, spread the peanut butter in the celery and munch away. If I am in a hurry, I sometimes just scoop the PB out of the jar with the celery stick like a spoon. (Someone on another board mentioned a new PB with flaxseed and such. I plan on trying that when my current tub runs out.

Hope these help.
    "One who sees the inaction that is in action, and the action that is an inaction, is wise indeed."

-- The Bhgagavad Gita

Originally Posted by Baldiewonkanobi View Post
    You said you were checked out by your Doctor. I assume he did the following minimal items for a man your age complaining about fatigue and you know the results:

Both PSA and digital prostate
    Colonoscopy
    Complete blood panel after 12 hour fast
    Testosterone, Free Testosterone and Estroidols blood test
    Treadmill stress test
    24 hour heart monitor

What was the outcome of the above tests?

Baldie
    Only thing Doc really did was complete blood panel after 12 hour fast, which they found my thyroid to be off and put me on a prescription stated above for that.

Colonoscopy, honestly it scares me to death, the whole anal probing, but I know...I'm finally at that age I need to get it done.
    Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums, well...I think I posted once a long time ago about a bad product purchased from the BB store, shaker bottle broke, but soon replaced by the BB customer service team, thank you BB store.

Anyway here is my short story. I am 39, bday was yesterday (Feb 24th) and it is now time for me to do something. I need to get into shape. I need to quit making excuses. My basic stats are I'm 6'1", around 195lbs, not sure of my Bfat. I don't smoke and I do have an occasional beer, one weekend a month with friends, if that.

My goals are to add some muscle weight, especially my chest, arms and upper body, lower body is pretty decent shape. Here is my biggest goal though, I have a belly, I know for my height/weight ratio that may or may not be hard to believe, but I do...I have a belly and love handles. I need some help and motivation on losing it.

Here are some of my problem areas and weaknesses. First, I work a 3rd shift job. I have no access to a gym, so everything would need to be done at home. I feel fatigued/tired a lot, I don't think it's because of 3rd shift, I had this before I started my 3rd shift job, I also have been checked out from the doctor, but everything was fine, but like I said my body feels fatigued/tired most of the time.

Another problem I have is getting motivated to do something. I'm not sure if this is because I'm tired a lot, or if I'm just to damn lazy. For the most part my diet is good, if I have any weaknesses related to diet it would be the occasional soda, maybe 3-4 a week, and my love for bread and pasta. I also tend to get bad sugar cravings, so I usually grab something sweet like OJ or some type of candy to help.

Supplements I have are protein shakes, fish oils, and one a day vitamins. I usually eat oatmeal with raisins when i get up. I also drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day. I eat a lot of tuna, chicken, veggies, bananas, turkey sandwiches, etc.

I would like to get some diet/training suggestions in this post if everyone doesn't mind, I don't want to start several threads related about the same topic. If I have missed something please ask and I'll be sure to post it.

And last, sorry for such a long as post.

Thank you,

Loque
    Tough love but it needs to be said.

The highlights are major danger signs and warning signals.

Unless you can motivate yourself, all the advice in the world is not going to help you and many peoples' time will be wasted.

If this was January 1st, you'd be like the myriad of others who "want to get in shape", but really lack the true motivation to do what it takes and within a couple of months, if not a couple of weeks, are back to your old lifestyle.

My suggestion is that you deal with the motivation issues first. If you get over that hurdle, then read some of the articles in the article section of this site as well as one or two good books on weight training and nutrition. Get the basic knowledge, get started training and getting acclimated to a new lifestyle, prove you can stick to it and then come back with any remaining questions at that point.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

Registered User DeathtoToasters's Avatar
    DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000) DeathtoToasters is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I had your situation I would quit. No reason to continue!.

Just give up.......

Seriously, I don't underdstand why other people want US to motivate them. Seriously, it is hard enough to keep myself motivated and recharged everyday!

Asking for workout or food advise is one thing, motivation is another.

If you are 39 and still need other people to motivate you, then you have many issues then being a bit out of shape.

Oh btw.......WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
    Last edited by DeathtoToasters; 02-27-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Coach_P has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Although I have access to a gym at the school where I teach, here is how I stay motivated: big plates and numbers. My goals are based on how many 45s I can put on the bar. Currently I can squat and deadlift five big plates, so now I'm after six.

It works for me. That and the kids in my classes have become more responsive all of a sudden.

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome. I've been doing this since 1952 and still learning. We can overwhelme you with tips about this and that.

About your love for grapefruit...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=249677121

Like soy protein and flax seed, its great for your ovaries.

Baldie

LouieBW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LouieBW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LouieBW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LouieBW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LouieBW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LouieBW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LouieBW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LouieBW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LouieBW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok, a few updates.

Speaking of running, my chins tend to be th first thing to slow me down when I run, they get to aching, is this my legs and body just getting back in shape? Also, what is a good at home way to measure body fat, or is that even possible?

-Loque
    I think when you first get into running its common to get pains in the shins, knees, etc. especially if you try to do to much too soon.
    I started doing this running routine call "couch to 5k" which is designed to get you running 5k in about 8 weeks.
    The program combines running and walking increasing the running every week. Supposed to save you from injury and losing motivation.
    There is a bunch of podcast on the internet you can download for this routine so you don't even have to use a stop watch. Just listen to music and it tells you when its time to run and time to walk.
    I'm no experienced runner but maybe something to check out.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml