Registered User LeakyQuesadilla's Avatar
    LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000) LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000) LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000) LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000) LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000) LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000) LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000) LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000) LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000) LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000) LeakyQuesadilla is a name known to all. (+5000)

Pinch Grip training.

Does anyone have any good training tips for pinch grips. I would really like to have a strong pinch grip by the end of this year. Be able to pinch grip 2 25's by the end of this year. Any tips or suggestions?

Thank You.
    The training is nothing, the will is everything. The will to act.

75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 75kg is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For starters, get yourself 2 25's, 2 35's and 2 45's that fit together well, have flat sides and are about 2-3" at most when put together. It's best to get plates that are all the same thickness, but that's not always such and easy task. Your hand becomes very strong at the width you have been training. So you might be able to lift 2 45's but not 3 25's because the 25's are wider. This is because Pinch is an isometric movement. This also means you will make gains regularly, but with very little movement in between. You may be stuck at 3 10's for a month or two and then one day just pick up 4 10's like a joke and get better for a bit before you seem to stall again. That's the nature of isometric training.

Timed holds and max attempts are the way to go. You can do either, or both, at your discretion. Doesn't matter. Just make sure you're actively trying to increase the weight used. Try taking 3 10's and doing a "Plate Hula", just pass them around your waist as many times as you can, no time limit. Try cleans, try snatches, try swings with whatever you're pinching.

Something that I highly recomend is 2 hand pinch. Take 2 45's, put a bar through them(loading pin/PVC pipe/piece of wood/etc) and add weight that way. For some people, just lifting the 45's will be tough enough to start, but you'll be adding weight in no time. 2 Hand pinch is a very popular lift in grip competiitons because it is a great test of pinch strength and it's standardized.

Also remember that 5lbs in a grip lift is a decent jump, so you wont be up to 25's overnight, but I can assure you you will be thinking about 35's and 45's by the end of the year. When it comes to grip, just be creative in challenging yourself. Once you can lift something regularly, don't "just" lift it, swing it, clean it, snatch it, pass it around your body, toss it from hand to hand, do a figure 8 around your legs and so on. The more you challenge your hands in different ways, the stronger your hand will become.

One last thing... chalk... use it.
    aKa MalachiMcMullen elsewhere

Oldtime Strongman Exaordinare

SQUAT MORE AND OIL YOUR GRIPPERS!

www.dieselcrew.com
    www.gripboard.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MalachiMcMullen

knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you can also focus on different parts of your pinch grip by limiting which fingers you use to actually perform the pinch. for example, you can pinch plates with your thumb and only your ring and pinky fingers (usually a really weak part of your grip). i'd also suggest hub pinch.

i second the use of chalk. anything to dry your hands. be liberal with it and put it on the plates where you will be gripping them as well.

pinching two 25s shouldn't be too difficult. i think i got this after about 6 weeks of grip training. you'll probably have even bigger goals after a few months doing this training.

also, theres plenty of youtube vids for this.
    -----------------
    Chris Burke

PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 75kg View Post

Something that I highly recomend is 2 hand pinch. Take 2 45's, put a bar through them(loading pin/PVC pipe/piece of wood/etc) and add weight that way. For some people, just lifting the 45's will be tough enough to start, but you'll be adding weight in no time. 2 Hand pinch is a very popular lift in grip competiitons because it is a great test of pinch strength and it's standardized.

i would also recommend this way as ur main pinch exercise. do some single hand exercises too because in 2 hand pinch the strong hand will do more work.

when your thumbs get all torn up and bleading you can do thumbwork with hub lifts and pinching clamps until your splits heal.

also use plates that arent sharp and pointy to help prevent the cuts.
    Pitza: i gotta take a dump and lift soon, all alone. damn training partner.

Asianman: nothing beats taking a dump with a training partner

Asianman: good timessssss

Pitza: LOLOL NICE BURN