Closed Thread
    Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What's best to get a tiny waist?

Hi ladies! I wanted to know if anyone had any advise on how to get a tiny waist...I'm not real big (28 inches I think) but I could stand to lose a couple of inches. I currently do cardio a few days a week to cut the fat and one of the machines I do is the torso twist. I wanted to know if anyone knows if its better to do heavy weight with low reps or high reps but low weight. Also if this is even a good machine to use...anything else I could be doing? Help!

Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are on the bodybuilding.com forum, so check out the Fat-loss articles on bodybuilding.com
    Everyone is gonna tell you that diet is more than half the battle.

agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agentmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh god. Please, people--stop working your obliques. Working the muscle along the sides of your waist is going to cause hypertrophy, yes? This helps other body parts look great, but with your waist every bit added (and obliques can bulk up nicely) is not great visually. Don't get me wrong, I lift heavy and tell every female I see to lift heavy and they won't "bulk up" and all that, but I see people with these huge obliques popping out and it's so insane. Want the tiniest waist possible? Stop working your obliques! They get hit for stabilization during squats and deads and so on so you'll still be supported and healthy, spine-wise.

Okay, end rant.
    Beatings will continue until morale improves.

kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kmart07 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ur genetics will dictate ultimately how small ur waist can and will get but losing overall bodyfat will help lose inchs

SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by agentmo View Post
    Oh god. Please, people--stop working your obliques. Working the muscle along the sides of your waist is going to cause hypertrophy, yes? This helps other body parts look great, but with your waist every bit added (and obliques can bulk up nicely) is not great visually. Don't get me wrong, I lift heavy and tell every female I see to lift heavy and they won't "bulk up" and all that, but I see people with these huge obliques popping out and it's so insane. Want the tiniest waist possible? Stop working your obliques! They get hit for stabilization during squats and deads and so on so you'll still be supported and healthy, spine-wise.

Okay, end rant.
    I tell girls this in the gym (heaven forbid I try to help them) and they just look at me like I'm trying to sabotage them or something LOL...
    ΛΣΣ Squat Booty Society~

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kmart07 View Post
    ur genetics will dictate ultimately how small ur waist can and will get but losing overall bodyfat will help lose inchs
    ^^
    This.

1. find better parents for better genetics re bone structure
    2. diet down to get as little BF as possible
    3. get surgery to remove your bottom rib.

Re 'hypertrophy' of obliques -
    1. Yes, they are worked isometrically with some exercises (eg: deads/ squats/ overhead movements) but I still think you should work them directly at least to a certain extent (they are important re rotational stabilisation of your spine and isometrics are not enough for this imo)...
    2. if you are concerned - do not work them 'excessively' and do not work them in the hypertrophy range.
    2. if you are 'dieting' you are not going to gain muscle anyway So don't stress....

Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Miss Jamie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Thank you all so much for your help...I guess I'll stop doing that machine and focus more on something else. And if all else fails, I will indeed remove a rib lol

Time to start building... norinicole's Avatar
    norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) norinicole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Also to note, a wide back makes the waist look smaller (the 'V' taper )
    Mrs. Hessunit as of May 11, 2013

I am aware of the irony. humblegenius's Avatar
    humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humblegenius is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I had a look at the OP's profile pic and thought this must have been some sort of joke. Girl looks damn fine.
    The two rules of life, never waste a hard on and never trust a fart.

I'm impressed, and I'm not easily impressed. Oh wow, look, a blue car.

Not content with average queenofswords's Avatar
    queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great question by the OP- I've been wondering the same thing.. I naturally have a thicker waist so less of an hourglass shape.

Never realised about the oblique exercises before- I do lots of them (!!) not anymore though lol...
    Enviable Pro bods: Sherlyn Roy; Monica Guerra; Nicole Wilkins- Lee; Rachel Cammon; Jennifer Nicole Lee.

mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I currently do cardio a few days a week to cut the fat and one of the machines I do is the torso twist. I wanted to know if anyone knows if its better to do heavy weight with low reps or high reps but low weight.
    Lol.... the torso twist. I have crushed many girls dreams by pointing out that machine thickens your waist, it doesn't slim it down.

The more weight you use on any ab exercise, the thicker your abs/waist get. You are limited by your skeletal frame on how tiny your waist can get. If you are healthy and low bodyfat thats what matters.

fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're definitely not 28 inches in your waist anyway! I'd say you're a near 26, if that. I'm 25, and you look close to my size.
    ^_^

fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitlover has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mprior View Post
    The more weight you use on any ab exercise, the thicker your abs/waist get.
    I don't understand this though. I use up to 25 lbs. on my crunches, and use weights on my leg raises, and haven't noticed any "thickening" at all. Only that my abs have gotten 10x more defined.

I guess it all depends on genetics as well. You have to figure out what works for you and take it from there.
    ^_^

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by fitlover View Post
    I don't understand this though. I use up to 25 lbs. on my crunches, and use weights on my leg raises, and haven't noticed any "thickening" at all. Only that my abs have gotten 10x more defined.

I guess it all depends on genetics as well. You have to figure out what works for you and take it from there.
    Are you doing just a crunch or are you twisting?

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10) mprior is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I personally train my abs for thickness. I do weighted decline crunches, hanging leg raises, heavy torso twists etc... I have read that doing high reps unweighted is the best way to ""tone"" your waist.

Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post
    Are you doing just a crunch or are you twisting?
    Well I usually don't use weights on my oblique work. Though I still preform oblique exercises and have had great results without the added thickness.
    ^_^

gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50) gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50) gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50) gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50) gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50) gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50) gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50) gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50) gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50) gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50) gecko... will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    pfft - I think if you are not genetically gifted enough to have a small waist (like me for example, I have less than 3 inches between my last rib and my hip bone - not enough room for a small waist!) I think working your obliques is a great option.

My goal;

Originally Posted by fitlover View Post
    Well I usually don't use weights on my oblique work. Though I still preform oblique exercises and have had great results without the added thickness.
    That's why - the minute you add weight to your oblique work that's when thickness becomes involved.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Eliz1082 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Many swear by broomstick twists to whittle their waists. Of course along with a proper diet and weights/cardio program.

Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jill75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Genetics play a big role on how your waist look like as reference to your chest and hip. Some are gifted with small waist others train themselves to have small waist by using a body torso binder. If you have good waist size and looks when you were a teenager provided you were not fat, then that is how you will only look proportionally. Or the other way to make it look smaller is making your butt or hip a but bigger.

Whatever you give to life,it gives you back.
    Do not hate anybody.
    The hatred which comes out from you will someday come back to you.
    Love others. And LOVE will come back to you..

mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000) mp.wife is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by norinicole View Post
    Also to note, a wide back makes the waist look smaller (the 'V' taper )
    yes this. Train your shoulders and your back. Leave your obliques alone.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    STOP doing exercises that BUILD THE MUSCLES IN YOUR WAIST for one.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50) otongki will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi,

I think you can manipulate it through meals and exercises. If you can manage the find the time to eat smaller meals, then you'd better spread them more than 5-6 meals (say to 8-9 meals). This will bring down your stomach size.

Also when you do training, you can stop training with the kind of exercise that uses additional weight to your abs and obliques. Just do it on your bodyweight. Other thing is train with belt. I started to used belt not only during leg day, and my stomach has been reduced for a bit.
    Mens sana in corpore sano

BB.com's workout journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116871971

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    STOP doing exercises that BUILD THE MUSCLES IN YOUR WAIST for one.

On that topic (not that I consider T-nation to be half the experts they think they are but) check out this link

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...emale_training

and scroll down to the bit that starts "The Britney Spears Syndrome"

NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Reality_Check View Post

On that topic (not that I consider T-nation to be half the experts they think they are but) check out this link

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...emale_training

and scroll down to the bit that starts "The Britney Spears Syndrome"

Thanks for posting that article. That was great advice for me.

percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) percussion8903 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by agentmo View Post

Okay, end rant.
    sad but true