Thread: Upper Chest

MikeMerrill has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MikeMerrill has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Upper Chest

I'm looking to build my upper chest because I think it lacks compared to the rest of my chest.

My chest is not small, but the upper and more specifically upper inner portion lacks.

For upper chest exercises I do declined press, both normal and close grip.

Any input on exercises that will put mass on my upper chest would be great. Thanks.

iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You should be doing incline, not decline...

GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreenWave1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by iSkinny View Post
    You should be doing incline, not decline...
    ^^^This.
    Jesus is my lifting partner.

Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Incline, Incline, Incline, and more Incline! Decline hits the lower peck!

Incline Dumbbell Press with your elbows near the body (don't chicken wing). Keep your palms facing slightly inward. Watch this Bob Glass video for a demonstration of proper technique: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut3.htm

Incline Dumbbell Fly is also an effective upper-chest lift. Focus on the stretch at the bottom and the squeeze at the top.

Did I mention Incline?!

Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilhoose is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    incline bb bench press, incline db bench press, and incline flies will help develop your upper chest. but still make sure you do flat and decline movements.
    The man who can drive himself further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win.
    -Roger Bannister

Bullit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bullit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bullit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bullit. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    as post above and cables for inner peck

hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) hardcore1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Everytime you workout chest.. Begin with incline part first doing your incline db press or bar press and whatever else you do for it. This way yourll be able to get most out of it..

Also maybe add incline flys.

MikeMerrill has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MikeMerrill has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by MikeMerrill View Post
    I'm looking to build my upper chest because I think it lacks compared to the rest of my chest.

My chest is not small, but the upper and more specifically upper inner portion lacks.

Any input on exercises that will put mass on my upper chest would be great. Thanks.
    You'll have to excuse the type. I meant to say incline but was in a rush to get into the shower.

Through reading what you guys have said I guess I just need to give it time. Hopefully my upper pecs catch up to the rest of my pecs before my first comp.

mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mattholmes1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You can't spot train your chest.
    Diet is everything
    Mesendo for life!!!!

Location: Just outside Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stuarty1984 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can train the upper part of your chest you plum!

buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hit up the incline angles, alternate the angles, use dumbells, barbells.. flyes, presses, cable work, mix it up

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by buffgrk View Post
    Hit up the incline angles, alternate the angles, use dumbells, barbells.. flyes, presses, cable work, mix it up
    ^^^ The angles are very neccessary and should not be overlooked^^

OP get away from the decline, if you want to focus on the upper chest..
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MikeMerrill View Post

You should always prioritize a lagging area. So that means incline movements should take priority on your chest days. As Buff said, mix it up. BB, DB, Cables. Do presses, and flyes, all of it.

Your upper chest is most likely lagging, becasue many of us start out, believing that nonsense that the flat bench works the entire chest evenly. When really it is a lower chest builder. So we do flat bench, decline bench, and incline bench. So that is a 2:1 ratio of lower:upper chest work.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) caso81 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i had the exact same problem with upper pecs. as mentioned before, do incline first, when you are fresh. makes a big difference. maybe add in some cable crossovers on an incline bench. really squeeze and feel contraction. it made a big difference for me once i was adding that in addition to my regular work load. run the rack on dumbells. i wouldnt stray too far away form power compound exercises, that should be every workout. but flies and cable crossovers are very valuable if executed correctly

fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Leichner View Post
    Incline, Incline, Incline, and more Incline! Decline hits the lower peck!

Incline Dumbbell Press with your elbows near the body (don't chicken wing). Keep your palms facing slightly inward. Watch this Bob Glass video for a demonstration of proper technique: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/glasscut3.htm

Incline Dumbbell Fly is also an effective upper-chest lift. Focus on the stretch at the bottom and the squeeze at the top.

Did I mention Incline?!
    Cant get the link to work

Originally Posted by Lilhoose View Post
    incline bb bench press, incline db bench press, and incline flies will help develop your upper chest. but still make sure you do flat and decline movements.
    How many sets of incline over the others should you do??

Just wanting opinions my upper is laggin to
    Last edited by fitmember; 02-12-2009 at 08:45 AM.
    I never rep back

DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DaveyC22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Once I made incline my priority, I saw significant gains relatively quickly.

I start with Incline BB, then move to Flat DB, then Incline Flyes, then Cable Crossovers or Pullovers.
    NEW Stacking the **** out of Universal/Animal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=156518781#post156518781

Shock Therapy/Storm/M-Stak Log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=144048361#post144048361

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by fitmember View Post

About tree fifty.

For starters, try switching your ratio of upper to lower work. If you aren't seeing the progress you want, add in more volume for upper. We can't say how much you'll need to see results.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabiggest is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Any incline is the way to go. To hit my inner/upper chest, I like doing standing cable flyes with the cables on the lowest height selection.
    Moderator at www.xccellence.com/forum
    Looking at the weights on the bar, I say to myself, "Screw it...Just do it!"

thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thelostfew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Inclined for upper chest declined for lower and falt bench for overall

Originally Posted by thelostfew View Post
    Inclined for upper chest declined for lower and falt bench for overall
    Wrong.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leichner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fitmember View Post
    Cant get the link to work

Sorry bro. I tried it again, and it worked for me...if you can't get it to work, go to the video series library on bodybuilding.com, episode 3 of Getting cut with Glass...

Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10) Inagren is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The link worked for me as well. Just thought I'd say thanks for the link, since it's what I was wanting help with as well .

fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitmember has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Leichner View Post
    Sorry bro. I tried it again, and it worked for me...if you can't get it to work, go to the video series library on bodybuilding.com, episode 3 of Getting cut with Glass...
    Yeah i looked it up and watched , thanks
    I never rep back