GrecoWrestler-Kickboxing MastaM's Avatar
    MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Pain in Middle of Forearm Bone

Sup ya'll, i've had some pain right in the middle of my forearm bone which is a similar feeling to shin splints; i'm guessing it's tendinitis. It started when I began doing barbell curls, so I switched to ez-curls, which almost hurts even worse. Does anybody know what I can do or how I can relieve/prevent the pain? Thanks a lot in advance everybody. (Reps for knowledgeable answers).

staypuff626 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am having the exact same forearm pains as you only it's in my left arm. It feels like it's in the muscle/tissue surrounding the ulna and it hurts A LOT after doing curls especially and releasing your grip on the weights. If anyone has any ideas how to remedy this I would be extremely grateful - it's really starting to affect my lifting.

jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50) jyoukhana will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im also having similar pain around the mid area of the forearm; on my right arm. It also happens after doing any form of curls. Any advice will be appreciated.

Runningquick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well, i aside from going to a doctor, which i always recommend before giving advice about pain, is trying to isolate your movements, if you let your wrists flex backwards too far under stress you eliminate your resistance to the weight in your forearm, you can very very easily tear a tendon. i would see if wraping your wrists helps, they also have gloves with wrist wraps built in.
    You could also try curling the weight with the EZ bar on top of your wrists as opposed to in your hand have someone support the bar so it doesnt slide down your arm and into the bend in your arms(better yet use a curl machine), and see if you get the same pain, will help you narrow down if its a tendon from your hand/fingers(most likely) or if its a muscle in the arm/elbow range(upside to it being your hand is you can still do some lifts without using your hands to grip, just takes a good ammount of help or machine work)
    Def massage that area around the pain to speed up blood flow and help with rebuilding and ice it too keep the swelling down, but the bottom line is figure out if you are hurt or injured, if you are hurt, take it easy cut down on the strain across your forearm and see if it gets better, but if you are injured, you should see a doc, if you tear something well enough, you might be outta the gym for alot longer than the 2-4 weeks of recovery time tendon and muscle therapy might take...

first 24 after workout ice it, second 24 heat... hope that helps

just a heads up....
    if you do have to get hand physical therapy, make sure your physical therapist is a cute girl, makes the half hour hand massages much more enjoyable...

DeadBallFowl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I get this pain constantly too, I actually just searched "pain releasing grip" to try to find a forum. I have had this exact same thing for about 6 months now. One thing that really helps for me is about 30 minutes before i lift while i'm drinking my creatine I squeeze a raquetball with my right hand (the arm in which I get the pain), that helps stretch out the tendon and definitely lessens the pain during lifting. I use a heat pack and some ice on it as well and thats helped. It definitely hasn't gone away but these remedies have helped me get through it.

I saw a doctor about it in January and he told me it sounded a lot like tendonitis, it definitely feels worse when I play tennis or raquetball, but the doctor told me that there's not really much I can do other than stretch out and try to stay away from the exercises that really cause pain.

To get biceps in without the pain I've been doing a lot of rope curls, so I would suggest that if you're set on continuing to lift. Hope this helps.

"Your one f*ck fantasy" Shortfuze's Avatar
    Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Shortfuze has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have the same pain as well BB curls, EZ curls, even DB curls give me pain especially when I go heavy. (Curiously, I have no pain when doing hammer curls). I went to the docs and he did an x-ray and didn't see anything. He told me to lay off the weights for 2 weeks which I did but when I resumed, the pain returned.

Last edited by Shortfuze; 03-03-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    *Simplicity is the key to life*

Thanks ZBlacktt for the mod rep!
    Thanks ForumSentinel for the admin rep!
    Thanks Gxp23 for the mod rep!
    Thanks 400LB Gorilla for the mod rep!
    Thanks CountryMike for admin rep!
    Thanks Nics1246 for mod rep!

I got married on August 24, 2013!!
    ლ(╹◡╹ლ)

I personally think it's tendonitis, somewhere I read online it's an imbalance in the forearm and bicep strength, but if you all are like me, then it's mainly only in 1 arm, not both. If anyone has got any other remedies please post them on here.

Shortfuze, I don't get it either on hammer curls, I always thought that was kind of odd

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I messed up my right and then my left doing construction work. I couldn't even pick up a coffee cup with my right hand for a week. It is one of the must avoid injuries. Have you tried the forearm strap? They take some of the load off the tendon and really helped me at work.

Try to avoid anything that induces a shock to the elbow, that's the biggest cause of tendonitis.

BG
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DeadBallFowl View Post
    I personally think it's tendonitis, somewhere I read online it's an imbalance in the forearm and bicep strength, but if you all are like me, then it's mainly only in 1 arm, not both. If anyone has got any other remedies please post them on here.

Shortfuze, I don't get it either on hammer curls, I always thought that was kind of odd

the pain is more than likely in the brachioradialis.

when your foream supinates this muscle will pronate as it flexes, when you pronate your forearm and the brachioradialis is flexed, the brachioradialis does the opposite (supinates)

if you can do hammer curls and no pain, then its most likely the brachioradialis is having some probs as the forearm is neither pronating nor supinating--- its neutral with hammer curls

try front lateral raises (with pronated grip on a DB) and see it theres pain there as well-- then its again most likely the brachioradialis
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

Submersed has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Submersed has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    To the OP and everyone else having this problem - it appears to be a common problem which I myself ran into and started researching a while back. I initially found out that I do have tendinitis which would become inflamed as I played racquetball regularly. The pain I received from the tendinitis while playing racquetball was in a different location than the pain I felt when doing my back and bicep workout.

The pain from playing racquetball occurred in an area around the elbow called the Epicondylus, which I treated simply by not playing racquetball any longer. However, the pain which I have in my forearm apparently is also related to that pain through tendinitis.

If you're unwilling to see an M.D. about the problem, I would suggest first visiting your local sports authority or other sports store, and purchase a wrap which velcros around your forearm. It uses compression to relieve pain while it is on, which should only be while you're working out for no more than 2 hours. This worked great for me, however note that the moment you take it off, you will feel the pain again.

If you're willing to visit an M.D., he may recommend an anti-inflamatory medication called Voltaren (Diclofenac Sodium). An article on this medication can be found here: http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-54-V...=Voltaren+Oral

Diclofenac is used to relieve pain, swelling (inflammation), and joint stiffness caused by arthritis. Reducing these symptoms helps you do more of your normal daily activities. This medication is known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).
    I've been taking this medication for around a week and a half now, and have seen great improvement in the amount of pain I experience during and after my bicep exercises. (This is with the forearm brace as well).

Hope this helps.

I can even feel the muscle pain going all the way up to my pinky and ring finger

Submersed has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Submersed has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I can even feel the muscle pain going all the way up to my pinky and ring finger
    If you take your hand (not the one where the pain is) and feel slightly behind the forearm bone, press where the pain is, and continue applying pressure up your arm to your elbow, following this section of the bone, it should lead to the soft spot in your elbow. Correct? Apply pressure to that area and see if you feel pain. If you do not, apply more pressure until you do feel pain, or don't want to apply any more pressure. If you felt pain, I'd suggest seeing a doctor because tendinitis is probably the cause, and getting anti-inflammatory meds would be helpful. Also, if you're feeling pain, tingling, or numbness in your fingers, definitely visit a doctor as you may be experiencing signs of arthritis.

Keep in mind, I'm no doctor, this is just coming from the extensive reading I've done online related to this issue, as well as my own experiences. I don't know how much of it is accurate.

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

as the last poster said... see the MD for some NSAID-----also dont work out that area.

sux bro cause I had same thing and as I wrote above-- its prob. your brachioradialis muscle.
    The prob is that muscle is not as strong as the rest and usually takes the beating. It has to catch up to the others slowly in some people.
    Others with good genes (large forearms) may not have this prob.

Once it got to a point where I couldnt raise a cup of water without pain!

Mine worsened from------->upright rows and dips, heavy db curls.

I think upright rows are risky as they also cause shoulder internal rotation.

you can buy alleve (naprosyn) at Rite Aid--- this med used to require a script but doesnt any longer.

good luck man

boo
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have the same problem, exactly as staypuff626 described
    I don't think just resting will solve it, because I stopped working out for about a year and when I started again the pain came back in the same area
    I booked an appointment with the doctor and applied diclonefac sodium for now, I used ibuprofen too before.

me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10) me987 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i suffered the exact same problem on bb curls, preacher curls, ez bar and concentration curls mostly, i used to strap my forearms and it would work 100%, no pain during the workout and i started doing forearm exercises regularly, ESPECIALLY that little clamp thing you squeez (i dont know what its called but its like two handles you squeeze together) and that worked tremendously to fix the problem!

once i figure out what its called i'll post a pic. or if anyone else knows, please post it, it definitely was the best thing to help me out. i did it every night and after a few weeks i didnt experience the pain anymore

EDIT:

this thing:

i did like 30 per hand 3 times per night/every second night
    Last edited by me987; 03-16-2010 at 03:30 AM.
    Answers to common questions:
    Will this supplement make me big = i dunno, whats your diet like? (calorie surplus + right macronutrient intake)
    What supplements will help me increase strength = creatine + beta-alanine
    Whats some good noob supplements = diet + creatine + whey protein
    Estimate my BF% = Abs (<~12%) Non-Moobs (12%-~18%) Moobs (19%+)
    (\_/)
    (o.o)
    (")(") i rep back.

calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calorier710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the comment bigbird. I couldn’t agree more. A little helpful information never hurt anybody!

MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Wow, I can't belive my thread was bumped, it has been over a year.

Anyways I can tell you all from experience now, it was mainly from doing heavy barbell/ez bar curls. What I did what focus a lot on my forearms and built great forearm strength. I would recommend you all to check out ARMENDERS workout journal (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=110517591) and check out his workouts and ask him questions if you need to; he is a pro arm wrestler and has helped me greatly increase forearm strength. Now, I still have minimal pain in forearm when doing barbell/ez car curls, but trust me, if they still hurt a lot, it is not worth doing. You can try other things like dumbbell curls and chinups for biceps. But I HIGHLY recommend you increase your forearm strength and there is a great chance most of your arm exercises will be an ease.

molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50) molto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    how do you increase forearm strength ?
    I do wrist and hammer curls

Originally Posted by molto View Post
    how do you increase forearm strength ?
    I do wrist and hammer curls
    Those are fine. I suggest for a period of 3-4 months throw in a day where you do forearms, maybe on the same day you fo biceps and pick and choose some exercises:

wrist curls
    reverse wrist curls
    reverse curls
    hammer curls
    behind the back wrist curls
    plate pinches
    captions of crush hand grippers (or any brand)
    lever curls, front and back
    side levers (pronators, supinators)
    static barbell holds

I saw a doctor and he said the x-ray image is fine and it's purely a muscle problem

For any one having this problem it is probably because the muscles in the affected area are relatively weak and cannot handle the heavy weight which your biceps can, which also explains why my left arm hurts more than the right (I'm right handed)

so try to strenghten your forearms and grip by training them until they catch up

ramcon1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Forearm pain

Hey Yall,

I am looking on behalf of my nephew who has this now, and has had it before. I remember reading something by Polequin about "wrist rolls." Wrist rolls are where you take a thick wooden dowel (1 1/2-2 inches dia.) put a hole in it, put a rope thru the hole, put a weight at the end of the rope. Then with your forearms parallel to the floor roll the rope up and down. There are four possible ways, and I do all four as a giant set. Palms supinated roll-curl inward, palms pronated roll-curl inward, palms supinated roll-curl outward and palms pronated roll-curl outward.

Has any one ever tried these? I am doing them because I have the world's smallest wrists on a grown man. Most women have larger wrists than I. I know I can't make them bigger, I just want to make them as strong as possible. But I seem to remember Polequin suggesting these for all lids of forearm tendonitis.

Be well,

Ramcon1

Registered User squatdroprepeat's Avatar
    squatdroprepeat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sounds like splints.

arpitgupta7549 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

same problem

i have the same exact problem as yours. its been on and off for three months now. Please give me some input how long do i have to wait.

NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10) NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10) NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10) NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10) NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10) NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10) NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10) NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10) NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10) NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10) NotoriousKal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bumping this back. Have the same pain for 2 months now after hurting my forearm doing ez curls. Stopped working out for almost 2 months and stiill hurts. Anyone has any advice on how to treat it?

Delano2991 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So you're saying that I have pain in my forearm muscle to where it's fatigue to pick up anything in a hammer curl position is becuz I'm too strong for my own forearm? Cuz it's only I the left side