View Poll Results: Do you have to compete to be a powerlifter?

Voters
293. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes you have to compete to be a powerlifter

195 66.55%
  • No you dont have to compete to be a powerlifter

98 33.45%
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Changing Powerlifting History

I have a dream!

So you have to compete to be a powerlifter? Or you dont have to compete to be a powerlifter?

A powerlifter is someone who competes in the big three? Is that what a powerlifter is?

I guess this kids a bodybuilder, all it takes is to compete right?

Incase people didnt know when powerlifting first started they didnt allow suits, or arching. Infact Im pretty sure they lifted the bar off the floor to the person benching and there were no monolifts.

So in other words no one who competes in equipment is competeing in "powerlifting". they are doing something else completley different. Well, at least they are doing something completley different from what powerlifting was when it was created.

brb hitting depth

And if by some means powerlifting was changed to allow equipped lifting, who was responsible for that? Who said "ok guys, your allowed to use equipment now and arch and use monolifts and do the lifts completley different than how they were done when powerlifting was invented?"

The answer to that, is the people. People decided to make changes. However im sure the majority of people are against multy ply high squating and touch and go not locked out benching.

So basically that means that if we get enough people to agree that you dont have to compete to be a powerlifter than we can change the rules and make gym lifters powerlifters without ever competeing.

You dont even need the majority of people, because the majority of people think high squats and touch and go, not locked out equipped lifting is bull****. So if say 10% of powerlifters though that you didnt have to compete to be a powerlifter then it would become fact. At least thats what has happened with equipped lifting and the BS lifting thas has gone on there.

I came to the 10% idea because I just couldnt imagine that more than 1 in 10 powerlifters think that high squating and touch and go benching without locking out and having trouble getting 1000+lbs to your belly to be considered powerlifting. So it would probably be more like 1 in 20 powerlifters agreeing you dont have to compete to be a powerlifter, for it to become fact. Perhaps even less in that.

So Im here to create a poll to decide for the powerlifting section whether you have to compete to be a powerlifter, and the results will give us the answer. This should put a end to any argument that any equipped lifter has about powerlifters having to compete. It should also shut up anyone who does compete, and lifts raw, unless of course they dont consider equipped lifters powerlifters. In which case they can still argue that you have to compete raw to be called a powerlifter.

So heres the poll, if more than 1 in 20 people vote for lifers not having to compete to be powerlifters, then it will just become fact even if the majority dont like it. Just like equipped lifting with all the bull**** lifts being passed has become powerlifting even tho the majority doesnt like it. We just need a few people to agree with us that were powerlifters and boom, were in the cool kids club.

Were changing powerlifting history people

This new law in the bodybuilding.com powerlifting section will be known as "slayers law".

What some of you probably look like right now

To the people who will be crying about me taking away from equipped lifting, where were you when equipped lifters told me my lifts and others didnt mean **** because they werent in competition? Or when they said that its taking away from powerlifters to be compared to those who dont compete? How about when a guy benched 578 raw at like 275 but he bounced and his ass came up and there were people who talked crap about his lift like it wasnt incredible and took a **** load of hard work? I know where you were, probably posting in the other thread asking "if you have to compete to be a powerlifter" comparing your self cooking scrambled eggs to being a chef.

Yeah that isnt condesending. Comparing me to a powerlifter is taking away from the powerlifter.

But telling me that anyone who has competed is a chef while Im some dumbass making scrambled eggs is completley fine.

Do you people even realize how ****ing retarded that is?

Anyway when ever the voting is over and the new law goes into effect its gonna be nice to not be able to be discriminated against. Sick of sitting at the back of the kitchen maken scrambled eggs while I watch the weak ass chef's putten on their squat suits to work up to 405.

Martin luther king gives a thumbs up to stopping the discrimination between those who compete and those who dont.

cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1st

metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) metalchick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    2nd
    My Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113245511

" Man adjusts to what he should not; he is unable to adjust to what he should." Jean Toomer

babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cjdelaney View Post
    1st

vote for lifters not having to compete to be powerlifters!

Were passing a bill here man, we need all the votes we can get

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    lame.

you're a strong kid, but you're a ****ing crybaby.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

Originally Posted by isaku900 View Post
    lame.

you're a strong kid, but you're a ****ing crybaby.
    dont be mad, fellow powerlifter.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Call yourself whatever you wish.

Gym lifting is gym lifting.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Code_B is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    funny, but I don't see what you don't get about it. You can be stronger than a powerlifter but still not be a powerlifter. I wouldn't say ur lifts aren't legit, they're just not competition lifts and I compare competition lifts to competition lifts. You can be a better cook than a chef and still not be a chef. Why do you want to be considered a powerlifter so bad? I'm pretty sure that most everyone here still recognizes you as one of the strongest people on the forum regardless of whether or not you are a "powerlifter"
    Consistency

Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    Call yourself whatever you wish.

Gym lifting is gym lifting.
    powerlifting is squating, benching, and deadlifting. When it was made there were no suits to wear, no monolifts, arching wasnt allowed.

So what do you call equipped lifting?

Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000)
    so are you basically saying equipped lifting is BS?

note: I perfer raw lifting, but im down with single-ply too, i think anything more then that is stupid (JUST MY OPINION DONT KILL ME PLZ).

Originally Posted by Code_B View Post
    funny, but I don't see what you don't get about it. You can be stronger than a powerlifter but still not be a powerlifter. I wouldn't say ur lifts aren't legit, they're just not competition lifts and I compare competition lifts to competition lifts. You can be a better cook than a chef and still not be a chef. Why do you want to be considered a powerlifter so bad? I'm pretty sure that most everyone here still recognizes you as one of the strongest people on the forum regardless of whether or not you are a "powerlifter"
    I really dont care whether im a powerlifter or not, but the discrimination of it annoys me.

Which is why I wrote a paragraph about that, besides if equipped lifting can be considered legit powerlifting why cant gym lifting? All it takes is enough people agreeing with me and then it doesnt matter what other people think.

Im sure allot of people think a arch is bull**** when benching, do you care what they think? Probably not. It will be like that once the law passes, just have to set it in stone first

PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110608191

"But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle ? victorious" - Vince Lombardi

Originally Posted by Darthpride View Post
    so are you basically saying equipped lifting is BS?

note: I perfer raw lifting, but im down with single-ply too, i think anything more then that is stupid (JUST MY OPINION DONT KILL ME PLZ).
    I respect equipped lifting, but I respect a even playing field even more. Im not gonna have equipped lifting be fine but having my self being compared to a powerlifter being a insult.

If you cant powerlift without competeing then you cant equipped lift and call it powerlifting either.

cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cjdelaney is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I almost liked this forum better when we discussed various ways in which sickonstorm sucked.

muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000)
    So if I play backyard football every weekend that makes me a football player? Or Baseball, if I play that couple of days a week with my friends that makes me a legit Baseball player? This is stupid, powerlifting is a sport and yes you have to compete to be a powerlifter.
    Best lifts
    615sq/450bp/500dl Multi ply
    550sq/400bp/510dl Single ply
    425sq/305bp/485dl Raw

Originally Posted by PumpinPaddy View Post
    think of it this way, 5000 different people can open up a small can every few days, or i can open up a big can just once and be done with it.

Originally Posted by babyslayer View Post
    think of it this way, 5000 different people can open up a small can every few days, or i can open up a big can just once and be done with it.
    option 3:

stupid topic is discarded.

Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post
    So if I play backyard football every weekend that makes me a football player? Or Baseball, if I play that couple of days a week with my friends that makes me a legit Baseball player? This is stupid, powerlifting is a sport and yes you have to compete to be a powerlifter.
    powerlifting is what ever the people say it is, we found that out when ever we went from raw lifting to getting 350lbs out of a squat suite. if thats powerlifting, then we can make it so you dont have to compete to be a powerlifter.

Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well coming from someone who uses knee wraps and a belt calling equipped lifting bull**** is kinda funny. Belts and wraps ARE using some sort of supportive equipment. Where's the picture of the pot calling the kettle black?
    Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142268221&welcome=true

db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) db2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You have:
    multiply powerlifting
    Single ply powerlifting
    raw powerlifting

AND
    bench pressing, squatting, and deadlifting in a gym.

This thread is stupid
    SFW

C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250) C-Money has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Slayers Law!
    Trying to reach freak status.... it will happen!

Originally Posted by cjdelaney View Post
    option 3:

stupid topic is discarded.
    you cant pick two options.

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    Kevin Nee squats, benchs and deadlifts.
    Kevin Nee is not a powerlifter.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Magnusson14 View Post
    Well coming from someone who uses knee wraps and a belt calling equipped lifting bull**** is kinda funny. Belts and wraps ARE using some sort of supportive equipment. Where's the picture of the pot calling the kettle black?
    Except that a belt doesnt lift the weight for you.

PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PumpinPaddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    powerlifting is what ever the people say it is, we found that out when ever we went from raw lifting to getting 350lbs out of a squat suite. if thats powerlifting, then we can make it so you dont have to compete to be a powerlifter.
    helmets werent introduced to football until 1943

does that mean modern players arent true footballers, because they are able to go head first into a tackle?

its evolution
    My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110608191

"But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle ? victorious" - Vince Lombardi

Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000) Norse1308 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are a "gym powerlifter" and haven't competed, just say you're "training for powerlifting." There's nothing wrong with it. You just haven't competed. I did alpine ski racing in my high school years and flying down the hill really fast making hardass turns on ice is not as easy as it sounds.

If some other random Joe skiied down random hill really fast and called himself a "ski racer" it would be an insult to the sport.
    Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142268221&welcome=true

Originally Posted by PumpinPaddy View Post
    helmets werent introduced to football until 1943

does that mean modern players arent true footballers, because they are able to go head first into a tackle?

its evolution
    But can said football player strap on special pants that make them run 2x faster?

(Just playing devil's advocate)

Originally Posted by Darthpride View Post
    But can said football player strap on special pants that make them run 2x faster?

(Just playing devil's advocate)
    The pants don't make them run faster, the person still runs, it just assists in the movement.

Originally Posted by Magnusson14 View Post
    The pants don't make them run faster, the person still runs, it just assists in the movement.
    So it does make them run faster, it doesnt run for them, but makes them run faster.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bablyslaer
    powerlifting is squating, benching, and deadlifting. When it was made there were no suits to wear, no monolifts, arching wasnt allowed.

So what do you call equipped lifting?
    Ok... when Rifles were invented there were no optics or autoloaders.... does that mean that today's marksmen cannot really be considered marksmen?

Because that is what your post would be implying.

Im not gonna have equipped lifting be fine but having my self being compared to a powerlifter being a insult.
    Comparing you to a powerlifter is not an insult. Not recognizing a difference between gym lifting and meet lifting is.

For most of us that compete... we feel the difference in recognition is in the title. But really, it is just words so if you want to call yourself a powerlifter fine.

If you think that what you do in the gym is the same as what competitors do, you'rej ust wrong.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem