MarkJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to fix Lordosis?

Hey guys,

I've noticed over the last year that i've got a moderate case of hyperlordosis or anterior pelvic tilt. This makes the butt & gut stick out, which can be a nice look on women, but not so nice on men. More importantly, i've heard it can lead to lower back problems, something my family has a lot of and that I want to avoid.

I've read that exercises stretching hamstrings/hip flexors, and strengthening glutes/lower abs are the key to correcting this. My question is, what are some good exercises to do that accomplish this? If I wanted the most bang for the buck, what single exercise would you say is best for each of those?

iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamezgt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What to stretch: Hip Flexors & Hamstrings

PNF Hip Flexors & Hamstrings, or do a modified hurdlers stretch with kneeling hip flexor stretch.

What to strengthen: Lower Abdominals & Glutes

Dead bugs on foam roller, Posterior pelvic tilts, Isometric hip extension with dynaband/cable, supermans.

There's a bunch of exercises, just make sure they isolate the muscles.
    http://www.TorontoFitness.org - Toronto's #1 Fitness Related Website

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    www.exrx.net

Stretch those hip flexors!!

Pelvic tilt exercises (flattening back against the floor) and progress those exercises.

The ITB may be tight - also check your stance: do you stand with feet tuned out or knock-knees?
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

MarkJC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the info, I will start working the stretching exercises in. I also gave the ab/glute strengthening exercises a try, but I don't really feel like i'm accomplishing much with them until I do tons of reps. Are there any other exercises you would recommend as being good for strengthening the lower abs/glutes that would involve lower repetitions to feel the burn?

As to my stance, there may be some slight knock-knees and my feet are typically turned out while walking/standing. I've actually had a heck of a time finding a comfortable pair of shoes, I think because I tend to walk on the inner part of my foot. Does that factor into the anterior pelvic tilt somehow?
    Last edited by MarkJC; 02-01-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes - some inserts or orthoses from a Podiatrist may assist.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xijixxijiy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if anyone else wants to share tips on how to fix this, or experiences on how long it takes to "fix" please let me know, this **** is ****ing gay

jtcin2u has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jtcin2u has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jtcin2u has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jtcin2u has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jtcin2u has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jtcin2u has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jtcin2u has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jtcin2u has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jtcin2u has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It takes approximately 3 weeks to fix mine. I used to have horrible back pains that I have to pop my back everyday by pushing my lower back against the chair [DON'T DO IT ELSE YOU'LL SCREW UP YOUR BACK!] . Also my girlfriend told me that my lower back started to curve in look girly, my @ss pops out. After continuously stretching for 3 weeks, my back pain was completely gone. my lower back looked more straight instead of curved-in.

To fix lordosis/hyperlordosis you'll have to correct your posture and stretch your lower back every day.

what you want to do first is to correct your posture because just stretching along wouldn't help. (Just by correcting the posture wouldn't help as well since your lower back already curved in, you need to stretch it to relocate your spine.)

When you stand, walk etc stand straight and push your glutes(butt) in like how you do supine hip extensions. Keep it that way whenever you are not sitting. REMEMBER, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, THIS WILL GET RID OF YOUR LOWER BACK PAIN PROBLEM! it is hard at first but you'll get use to it.

When you are sitting down, sit straight, but don't push your lower back out.

Here's a list of stretch and exercises you need to perform EVERYDAY. Stretch first thing in the morning and before you sleep. exercise in the afternoon.

Stretches: 6 sec rest in between reps
    1.Warrior lunge stretch 4 reps of 10 sec
    2.Hip Flexor stretch 4 reps of 10 sec
    3.Standing lower back stretch 4 reps of 15 sec [MAJOR STRETCH]
    smilar to this :
    but stand straight instead, focus on your lower back and pull your body towards your thigh as hard as you can for 15 sec.

Exercise
    supine hip extensions 10 reps of 10 sec without rest.

Follow this routine on a daily basis should correct your lordosis.

silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50) silent1029 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jtcin2u View Post
    It takes approximately 3 weeks to fix mine. I used to have horrible back pains that I have to pop my back everyday by pushing my lower back against the chair [DON'T DO IT ELSE YOU'LL SCREW UP YOUR BACK!] . Also my girlfriend told me that my lower back started to curve in look girly, my @ss pops out. After continuously stretching for 3 weeks, my back pain was completely gone. my lower back looked more straight instead of curved-in.

To fix lordosis/hyperlordosis you'll have to correct your posture and stretch your lower back every day.

what you want to do first is to correct your posture because just stretching along wouldn't help. (Just by correcting the posture wouldn't help as well since your lower back already curved in, you need to stretch it to relocate your spine.)

When you stand, walk etc stand straight and push your glutes(butt) in like how you do supine hip extensions. Keep it that way whenever you are not sitting. REMEMBER, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT, THIS WILL GET RID OF YOUR LOWER BACK PAIN PROBLEM! it is hard at first but you'll get use to it.

When you are sitting down, sit straight, but don't push your lower back out.

Here's a list of stretch and exercises you need to perform EVERYDAY. Stretch first thing in the morning and before you sleep. exercise in the afternoon.

Stretches: 6 sec rest in between reps
    1.Warrior lunge stretch 4 reps of 10 sec
    2.Hip Flexor stretch 4 reps of 10 sec
    3.Standing lower back stretch 4 reps of 15 sec [MAJOR STRETCH]
    smilar to this :
    but stand straight instead, focus on your lower back and pull your body towards your thigh as hard as you can for 15 sec.

Exercise
    supine hip extensions 10 reps of 10 sec without rest.

Follow this routine on a daily basis should correct your lordosis.
    Why are you in red o_O

killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) killyoselfnig32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    the above is good advise what exercises you need to do though in order to fix lordosis is reverse crunchs, planks, hanging leg raises. and for glutes to do pullthroughs, lunges, step ups focus on feeling it in your ass if you aren't then your doing it wrong in order to make sure of this

before you do any exercises to do one leg glute bridges reason why is because you want to make sure your glutes are activated. also make sure you stretch your hip flexors like a mother 7-12 times per day.

focus on working your upper back lordosis is nearly always coupled with khyposis in order for your body to balance gravity.
    "That's messed up. Steroids ruin lives , and young people need to get more educated about them. Just look at Ronnie of "Jersy Shore", crying and getting super pissed in every episode. Not worth it."

- 15 year old twilight fan

dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What to do depends on what is causing the hyperlordosis and anterior pelvic tilt. Google: Lower crossed syndrome. One exercise i like is standing back against wall, feet out in front and knees bent (like squatting against a wall) and use the wall for feedback, practicing straightening and bending that lower back section.
    See a phys ther also because some deep tissue massage for psoas, lumbar spine mobilisation and postural exercises/education can help alot. There may be issue with your thoracic area as well in terms of posture

USMC - Live Strong! - MMA toolslave462@gmail.com's Avatar
    toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50) toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50) toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50) toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50) toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50) toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50) toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50) toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50) toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50) toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50) toolslave462@gmail.com will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great article.
    Fitness Freak - Nutrition Geek
    ...Certified Personal Trainer...
    ...US Marine Corps Veteran...

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul."

Goal: 205 lbs (Started in 2008 @ 120lbs)

tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Replying to an old article. But wanted to reinforce how i fixed my anterior tilt and hyper lordosis issue.

The tilt was fixed by bulgarian split squats, almost over 2 days of doing them.

The hyper lordosis was a 3 to 4 month process of the following workouts.

Planks
    Side Planks
    Barbell Rollouts
    Adductor strengthning

And these stretches: lookup "3D Stretching(Saggital)" on youtube.
    You can work your way back from these conditions. Just be patient.

Thinking back about how i got this, it happend due to bad form on low back squat (with hip tucking under) and tight hip flexors that i never bothered to stretch. Now they get plenty of stretches before every leg workout.

Thanks and be safe with heavy lifting.

Vare1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've read through this thread and the linked articles, from what I understand I need sto be strengthening my lower abs, glutes and hamsytrings while stretching my lower back and hip flexers, is this correct?

Also I started a new back program yesterday which involved:

Rack pulls
    1 handed high rows
    1 handed low rows

should I be doing any exercises that will strengthen my lower back? or will this make my hyperlordosis worse?
    I'm worried about the rack pulls in particular.

Cheers

Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500) Noviomagus is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by tven View Post
    Replying to an old article. But wanted to reinforce how i fixed my anterior tilt and hyper lordosis issue.

The tilt was fixed by bulgarian split squats, almost over 2 days of doing them.

The hyper lordosis was a 3 to 4 month process of the following workouts.

Planks
    Side Planks
    Barbell Rollouts
    Adductor strengthning

And these stretches: lookup "3D Stretching(Saggital)" on youtube.
    You can work your way back from these conditions. Just be patient.

Thinking back about how i got this, it happend due to bad form on low back squat (with hip tucking under) and tight hip flexors that i never bothered to stretch. Now they get plenty of stretches before every leg workout.

Thanks and be safe with heavy lifting.
    So the planks,side planks,rollouts,adductor strengthening fixed the hyper lordosis for you?
    Or the other way around.
    I was thinking, the plank and rollout does work the hip flexor/iliopsoas quite a bit.
    Lots of stretching keeps this in check I assume.

Originally Posted by Vare1 View Post
    I've read through this thread and the linked articles, from what I understand I need sto be strengthening my lower abs, glutes and hamsytrings while stretching my lower back and hip flexers, is this correct?

Also I started a new back program yesterday which involved:

Rack pulls
    1 handed high rows
    1 handed low rows

should I be doing any exercises that will strengthen my lower back? or will this make my hyperlordosis worse?
    I'm worried about the rack pulls in particular.

Cheers
    Someone recommended deadlift against lordosis as well.
    So maybe that's a good one.
    It'll strengthen your back.
    Or maybe the back extension?