Thread: My Keto Diet

kelll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Keto Diet

Well i decided keto would be the best way to get rid of bf while building or at least maintaining muscle. I don't have a very set plan of eating. When i plan meals time at a time, i feel the pressure of a diet and bail. So i've been doing this for two days now. Keeping my daily goals intact. Here's what ive eaten each day.

im currently 5,10 190lbs with 26% bf

Day 1
    10am (as soon as i woke up)
    m1-3 eggs(13.5g fat, 18g protein, 270 cal)
    m1-ON whey shake(1g fat, 4 carbs, 120 cal, 24g protein)
    m4*-pepperoni(i consumed this all day and night)
    (7 servings, 78g fat, 820cal, 35g protein)
    after workout(5pm)
    m2-16 jumbo shrimp(3g fat, 2 carbs, 310cal, 36g protein)
    m2-protein shake(1g fat, 4 carbs, 120 cal, 24g protein)
    m3-2 chicken breasts(2g fat, 0 carbs, 350cal, 34g protein)
    m3-baby corns(1.5g fat, 5 carbs, 3g fiber, 2g protein, 100 calories)
    On whey shake before bed(1g fat, 4 carbs, 120 cal, 24g protein)
    overall day(101g fat, 21 carbs, 3g fiber, 2210 cal, 197g protein)

workout: did biceps, triceps, shoulders, and back maxing out. followed by 45 minutes of high intensity cardio)
    diet: I felt like **** most of the day, workout was stressful, loss of energy, left me hungry as hell, kept eating pepperoni every 30 minutes from 9 to 12pm before i finally went to sleep.

Day2-
    10am (as soon as i woke up)
    m1-4 eggs(18g fat, 24g protein, 360 cal)
    m1-protein shake(1g fat, 24g protein, 120 cal, 4 carbs)
    m1-green beans(1g fat, 1g protein, 100 cal, 6 carbs, 3g fiber
    m2-5 slices of deli ham(1g fat, 9g protein, 120 cal)
    Post workout(3pm)
    m3-double protein shake(2g fat, 48g protein,340 cal, 8 carbs)
    waited an hour so whey could be absorbed
    m4-started eating entire roasted chicken from jewel(lasted me till tonight)
    (56g fat, 1050calories, 145g protein)
    before bed-(whey shake/pepperoni)-(14g fat, 29g protein, 240 cal, 4 carbs)
    overall day-(103g fat, 16 carbs ,3g fiber, 2330 cal, 280g protein)

workout: maxed out on on chest, abs, and legs today. followed it up with mid-intensity cardio for 70 minutes.
    diet: felt better, but also tired most of the day. once again cardio was hell. i didnt feel nearly as hungry as i did yesterday, though i ended up eating more.

im going to try and do keto for 8 weeks and will do my first carbup in 17 days(2 and 1/2 weeks), followed by carbups every 10 days after that. please share your opinions. thanks.
    Last edited by kelll; 01-22-2009 at 12:16 AM.

keto update

i have been going at this for about a week now. and the process my weight has dropped from 192(first weigh in) to 180(in the morning). It honestly seems like a little much, even with the amount of work im doing. However, im clearly experiencing muscle gains/strength gains this past week.

Diet:
    I stopped being so strict about exactly when i ate, and exactly what i ate, and just kept in mind my goals for the day. <30 carbs/160+g protein/100-200g fat/ 25g fiber. i do have a post workout shake(sometimes double it). as well as a small meal inbetween cardio/lifting sessions. a small list of foods ive eaten has been chicken, steak, almonds, brocolli, avocado, pepperoni, cheese, deli meats, beef jerkey.

Workout: I have been hitting the gym 2 hours after i wake up and do one hour of cardio (mix between, resistence biking, treadmill, stairmaster, stepper) every day. I go home, have a shake immediately after, wait 30-45 minutes and have a small meal (usually lean meats). 4-5 hours later i go back to the gym to lift. My simplified routine is m-w-f back, triceps, biceps, forearms, shoulders t-th-sa chest, legs, abs. sunday is cardio only day.

Metabolism: obviously working out 2 hours at 2 different points every day has sped up my metabolism. mix that with my keto diet and im hungry 24/7. i always eat SOMETHING the second my stomach acts up. i think im being rewarded with some fat loss. I also eat before bed(very small) to silence the stomach.

Energy: the first two days sucked as i specified in my first post. After that i felt GREAT. i felt better than when i was eating out every day with friends(i know, a shock). although today has been a lackluster day. found myself craving **** food(family busted out the deep fryer) and my usually selection almost made me gag at one point. Though im sure ill be back to feeling normal in no time.

Ketostix: Haven't checked at all. I assume based on how my body is feeling and the results(not to mention what im eating). im sure im in ketosis, and if im not, i can't complain either way.

Results: Lost close to all my fat on my legs(i played basketball, football, and baseball all through high school, so i didnt have a ton to lose there anyway). Arms are getting leaner, muscles getting bigger, stronger. My shoulders have always been solid, but again, looking leaner. The gut has shrunken significantly. Though those damn lovehandles are still there! However, they are shrinking. Last week it would be a stretch for me to wear a certain pair of jeans i own. I Decided to try them on. they were loose for the first time in a year. I feel like crap, im tired, but im smiling, because this diet is working for me.

thank you bb.com for the nutrition education, i plan on keeping this up!

also

i played basketball as a substitute for my cardio session yesterday. in the middle of the game my hands/face started tingling. I started feeling a lot more winded than i ever get playing. I expected to get winded on my diet. However, the tingling in the hands and face sort of scared the **** out of me. Any idea what that could have been? please let me know, thanks.

jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i think youre overtraining. youre working every muscle group 3x per week??
    and the immediately over an hour of cardio? when you already do an hour in the morning?

you need much more time to recover. rest is most important when it comes to building muscle otherwise youre constantly tearing it down. you should wait more than a day in between working the same muscle groups, especially legs and back as they are maaajor parts of your body. and 70 minutes of cardio after legs? howd you even manage that?
    keto is for lovers.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113568721

jrodri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also got that tingling feeling on my lips and face not my hands after I did my jump roping class (30mins only) LMAO I figured it could?ve been low blood sugar, but at the same time I did take ? cup OJ and ? scoop of whey protein pre workout.

muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jrodri View Post
    I also got that tingling feeling on my lips and face not my hands after I did my jump roping class (30mins only) LMAO I figured it could?ve been low blood sugar, but at the same time I did take ? cup OJ and ? scoop of whey protein pre workout.
    Its either dehydration or hyperventilating.
    Doubt you went hypo tho
    edit;
    I get that all the time too, esp during conditioning sessions

Originally Posted by jecristragedy View Post
    i think youre overtraining. youre working every muscle group 3x per week??
    and the immediately over an hour of cardio? when you already do an hour in the morning?

you need much more time to recover. rest is most important when it comes to building muscle otherwise youre constantly tearing it down. you should wait more than a day in between working the same muscle groups, especially legs and back as they are maaajor parts of your body. and 70 minutes of cardio after legs? howd you even manage that?
    i have alot of willpower, i'm not working at home atm so its not as if i'm on my feet 8 hours a day. I do the cardio, give myself enough time to recharge(4-5 hours feels good), in those 4-5 hours i sit down/lay down, i relax. work out muscle groups later, and relax some more. most of my friends are lazy people. so if i do go out it involves walking to a car, out of a car, sit down and repeat. i also get 8-10 hours of sleep per night. I know what your saying about enough time to recover but the 48 hours of rest im giving each muscle group seems to be more than enough. Like i said before im actually gaining mass, somehow.. as for how i do it i played competetive sports so im pretty determined to get everything done. on leg days, i hit the bike for the cardio, alot less stress on my legs. On other days, i hit the stairmaster, lots of stress, but i do it somehow.

and i think i said something wrong. cardio in the morning. lifting at night. no cardio at night. sorry if i spoofed that.

Originally Posted by muruku View Post
    Its either dehydration or hyperventilating.
    Doubt you went hypo tho
    edit;
    I get that all the time too, esp during conditioning sessions
    thanks, it just surprised me because an hour of cardio won't do that to me, but two games of basketball did. I probably got dehydrated, i don't think i drink enough to make up the water i lose throughout the day.

jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jecristragedy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeah you said you do an hour of cardio in the morning and then 'maxed out on on chest, abs, and legs today. followed it up with mid-intensity cardio for 70 minutes. "

i still think youre lifting too much, even if you 'feel' ok. its not about having the energy or determination to do it.
    keep in mind recovery time is even longer on keto. im sore at least twice as long as i was on 40/40/20.

i dunno, i dont know your routine in depth guess. do what you will but it goes against pretty much most advisement. just about everyone doing splits works each muscle group once a week, twice at the most, with the exception of abs. but it sounds like youre not really exhausting your muscles during workouts, so maybe youre fine...

just my 2 cents
    keto is for lovers.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113568721

jrodri has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kelll View Post
    thanks, it just surprised me because an hour of cardio won't do that to me, but two games of basketball did. I probably got dehydrated, i don't think i drink enough to make up the water i lose throughout the day.
    Thanks, probably dehydrated

Originally Posted by jecristragedy View Post
    yeah you said you do an hour of cardio in the morning and then 'maxed out on on chest, abs, and legs today. followed it up with mid-intensity cardio for 70 minutes. "

i still think youre lifting too much, even if you 'feel' ok. its not about having the energy or determination to do it.
    keep in mind recovery time is even longer on keto. im sore at least twice as long as i was on 40/40/20.

i dunno, i dont know your routine in depth guess. do what you will but it goes against pretty much most advisement. just about everyone doing splits works each muscle group once a week, twice at the most, with the exception of abs. but it sounds like youre not really exhausting your muscles during workouts, so maybe youre fine...

just my 2 cents
    ah, i wrote that for the first and second day. i changed up the cardio(2nd post) to mornings and lifting at night. Its worked alot better for me. I work my muscles to failure in 4 sets(reps depend on muscle groups). if i feel like im sore, out of energy, or my muscles cant take my typical workout, i skip the session, and stick to light cardio. my legs felt overworked yesterday so i skipped it and did 30 min of biking. lifting arms/back/shoulders tonight, they feel great/ready. ironically, and this makes no sense to me because i know abs recover the fastest...my abs have felt "beaten up" the last 3 days. longest stretch in the last 3 months i've been working out. (ive only been dieting this past week). So i think the lack of my ab recovery may be because of the diet, like you pointed out. Just dosen't make sense that my fastest recovering muscle is recovering the slowest. anyway, thank you for the advice.

done with keto..for now..

i've finished a solid 4 week period on my ketosis diet. Im moving onto the velocity diet tomarrow morning for 3-4 weeks and then transitioning back into keto.. If anyone was wondering here is the progress i made.

I didn't take measurments or pictures, im getting bf% measured tomarrow at the gym. but to put it simple.

starting weight 192lbs(morning)

28 days later- 176lbs(morning)

As far as my training went, i hit the gym 24 out of 28 days, and 2 days i lifted for arms at home. i did an average of 50 minutes of hitt cardio/day for 23 of those days, and divided every other day up with back/bi's then chest tri's, and i took your advice and eased up on legs a bit, did them every 3 days.

As far as my eating, i definently stuck to the low carb regiment most of the time, but my food choices could have been better. for the first 3 weeks i pretty much cooked at home and ate perfectly except for that damn super bowl sunday (day10) where i stuffed my face with a whole pizza, 11 wings, and a 1/2 lb of pasta, along with 2 pitchers of reg coke in 5 hours. I got right back on the diet and like i said 20 out of 21 days of clean eating. on the last week i began to incorporate ****ty, but still low/no carb foods in my diet. I hit up arby's or bk almost every day this week, in turn i only lost 1 lb. I would have to say my average carb intake was around 30 per day...some days touching 20, some 40...and a day or two i may have hit 60(didn't know diet crush had carbs, i guess "diet soda" dosen't always mean "low carb soda"). I took in around 100-200g fat per day, at least 160g protein and at most 320g protein per day(it really fluxuated). and around 2000 calories/day.

As far as the whole keto experience, i really do view this as a life change. I no longer wish to gorge on subway and load up on 100-200 carbs before i go to bed. Ive bolstered my metabolism, i only eat when im hungry, and since its every 2 hours, i eat like a pig. The best part about eating correctly has been i can gorge and still end up only eating 2000 calories/day. I feel better, I look better, and im looking for more. I honestly never see myself going back to my glutton ways.

What now? Well i've decided to use my body as my personal experiment. I'm going to spend 3-4 weeks on a modified VELOCITY DIET. 1 week transitioning back to solids, 2-3 weeks back in ketosis, and then solidify my life change with healthy, controlled carb eating for the rest of my life , I WILL try to post pics of my progress from here on out. Ill also post a link to the v-thread i'll be making.

thanks for the help everyone.

v-diet log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post291195721
    Last edited by kelll; 02-19-2009 at 05:07 PM.

muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kelll View Post
    i've finished a solid 4 week period on my ketosis diet. Im moving onto the velocity diet tomarrow morning for 3-4 weeks and then transitioning back into keto.. If anyone was wondering here is the progress i made.

I didn't take measurments or pictures, im getting bf% measured tomarrow at the gym. but to put it simple.

starting weight 192lbs(morning)

28 days later- 176lbs(morning)

As far as my training went, i hit the gym 24 out of 28 days, and 2 days i lifted for arms at home. i did an average of 50 minutes of hitt cardio/day for 23 of those days, and divided every other day up with back/bi's then chest tri's, and i took your advice and eased up on legs a bit, did them every 3 days.

As far as my eating, i definently stuck to the low carb regiment most of the time, but my food choices could have been better. for the first 3 weeks i pretty much cooked at home and ate perfectly except for that damn super bowl sunday (day10) where i stuffed my face with a whole pizza, 11 wings, and a 1/2 lb of pasta, along with 2 pitchers of reg coke in 5 hours. I got right back on the diet and like i said 20 out of 21 days of clean eating. on the last week i began to incorporate ****ty, but still low/no carb foods in my diet. I hit up arby's or bk almost every day this week, in turn i only lost 1 lb. I would have to say my average carb intake was around 30 per day...some days touching 20, some 40...and a day or two i may have hit 60(didn't know diet crush had carbs, i guess "diet soda" dosen't always mean "low carb soda"). I took in around 100-200g fat per day, at least 160g protein and at most 320g protein per day(it really fluxuated). and around 2000 calories/day.

As far as the whole keto experience, i really do view this as a life change. I no longer wish to gorge on subway and load up on 100-200 carbs before i go to bed. Ive bolstered my metabolism, i only eat when im hungry, and since its every 2 hours, i eat like a pig. The best part about eating correctly has been i can gorge and still end up only eating 2000 calories/day. I feel better, I look better, and im looking for more. I honestly never see myself going back to my glutton ways.

What now? Well i've decided to use my body as my personal experiment. I'm going to spend 3-4 weeks on a modified VELOCITY DIET. 1 week transitioning back to solids, 2-3 weeks back in ketosis, and then solidify my life change with healthy, controlled carb eating for the rest of my life , I WILL try to post pics of my progress from here on out. Ill also post a link to the v-thread i'll be making.

thanks for the help everyone.

v-diet log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post291195721
    I think its better for you to do something like the diet i have attached, rather than the velocity diet.
    Mods, please inform me if you think this is in violation of forum rules.
    Last edited by muruku; 07-12-2010 at 04:48 AM.