JennAtkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennAtkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dizzy and sick from above shoulder exercises?

I am just wondering if anybody else has this problem and what the cause is. It happens when I do almost any exercise above my shoulders. The other day I was doing wide grip pull ups and when I got done I felt like I was going to pass out. I always feel like throwing up after pull downs and even shoulder presses. It is making me crazy and I want to fix it! Thanks in advance.

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Don't do them. Problem solved.

JennAtkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JennAtkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, that was enlightening.

Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500) Bobby_Flay is not very helpful. (-500)
    You can't replace pull ups or lat pulldowns with anything comparable. Maybe dumbbell pullovers but you might get dizzy and drop a dumbbell on your face.

For your deltoids and traps, try wide grip upright barbell rows and superset them with lateral raises.

Dr. Animal, OD, Natty Pro The_Animal11's Avatar
    The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    howre your breathing during your sets? also, whats your nutrition like before your workouts?
    WWJD-What Would Jesus Deadlift?

May God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you really CAN make a difference in this world, so that you are able, with God's grace, to do what others claim cannot be done. -From the Four-Fold Franciscan Blessing

Who Says I Can't Pack on Mass (my log)?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146406963

richbodyfit.com<--- awesome trainer and workout partner!

I guess I havent paid attention to how Im breathing but I am not breathing any differently then when I am doing any other exercise, my nutrition is fine so I dont think its that. It seems to be only the above the shoulder exercises that are causing this, I feel fine with everything else.

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JennAtkins View Post
    I guess I havent paid attention to how Im breathing but I am not breathing any differently then when I am doing any other exercise, my nutrition is fine so I dont think its that. It seems to be only the above the shoulder exercises that are causing this, I feel fine with everything else.
    Talk to a physician about it. People usually don't get dizzy in the way you describe unless they are calorie deprived, lacking in sleep, OR have some type of medical disorder. If it's bothering that much. Get it checked out. In the mean time refrain from doing over head activities. Common sense.

tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hmmmm this is weird. I get dizzy/light headed after getting off a health rider bike.

knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10) knassbruckles is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The only time I've gotten dizzy or sick when lifting was caused from these:

1. not breathing enough
    2. overexerting myself on an exercise
    3. overexerting myself after a long break from lifting
    4. being dehydrated

If it's a particular motion that is causing you to get sick, you should definitely get that checked out because it doesn't sound right. Something like leg exercises are something that I get sick on more often than others but it's because of how intense you can get with all the extra muscle recuitment and whatnot.

In the meantime though, focus on your breathing and see if you are holding your breath too much during the lift. Try to drink a lot of water as well.
    -----------------
    Chris Burke

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am just wondering if anybody else has this problem and what the cause is. It happens when I do almost any exercise above my shoulders. The other day I was doing wide grip pull ups and when I got done I felt like I was going to pass out. I always feel like throwing up after pull downs and even shoulder presses. It is making me crazy and I want to fix it! Thanks in advance.
    Odd - I get dizzy when dieting, but usually on heavy compounds (squats, deads). Could be that you're pinching a spinal nerve/neck nerve? *edit* you're on atkins (user name..)? how often do you carb cycle - cuz, duh, i just went atkins/keto and can say the first week switching to fat is a vicious one on my lifting performance.
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do you have blood pressure issues/are on medication?
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000) XXX666 is just really nice. (+1000)
    have low blood sugar can cause it too. i get this way if i don't consume enough carbs pre-workout. Its a big reason why i use waximaize while i train.

Are you taking any pre-workout drinks?

Originally Posted by XXX666 View Post
    have low blood sugar can cause it too. i get this way if i don't consume enough carbs pre-workout. Its a big reason why i use waximaize while i train.

Are you taking any pre-workout drinks?
    This is what I was thinking.

Her stats are 5-5 and 118lbs. She is very thin.

She claims her nutrition is fine but I bet a dollar she is taking in far too few calories daily to support a rigorous bodybuilding regiment that include such exercises like "wide grip pullups". It's no wonder she's getting dizzy.

She probably needs to consume more calories which include carbs to boost her blood sugar levels.

tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonymar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Happens to me when I'm tired, and when I'm not focusing enough on the exercise.

Maybe try some caffeine before working out if you're not having some already.

I'd also try altering my weight and reps, just to see if you can work it out that way.

Originally Posted by Drekkor View Post
    Odd - I get dizzy when dieting, but usually on heavy compounds (squats, deads). Could be that you're pinching a spinal nerve/neck nerve? *edit* you're on atkins (user name..)? how often do you carb cycle - cuz, duh, i just went atkins/keto and can say the first week switching to fat is a vicious one on my lifting performance.
    LOL...Didn't even hit me til I read your post "Atkins"....She is carb depleting. Good catch!

www.strikersunion.com rednecksamurai's Avatar
    rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50) rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50) rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50) rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50) rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50) rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50) rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50) rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50) rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50) rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50) rednecksamurai will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Same happened to me

The same thing use to happen to me in High school when I would do military presses.
    It turned out that when i was useing weight above my head I would breath very shallow.

A good test is when you have the weights above your head try to breath in.

I would do a couple of sets like that, Breathing out when I lowered the weight and breathing in when I raised the weight. I feel like it strengthened my diaphragm making the problem go away.

My last name is Atkins, I am not on Atkins. I have never and would never cut out carbs. My nutrition is fine I promise you. I am very careful about eating before and after workouts. I think I will focus on breathing and see if that might be the problem. I do get a lot of headaches and have some neck problems so I think a chiropractor might be a good idea too. I was just hoping somebody else had experienced this problem.

jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10) jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10) jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10) jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10) jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10) jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10) jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10) jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10) jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10) jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10) jbrowncbr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you taking any supplements before your workout? I've tried taking caffeine/nitric oxide supplements before lifting/running but they make me nauseous. Other than that I'd suggest your breathing like the others have said. Inhale deep on the negative part of the lift and exhale as you complete the concentric part.

tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tuff253 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

tturejt79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the same problem. If I do shoulders or shrugs, the second day whenever I turn my head I feel like the world is turning with me. It has to do with the neck. I find it better if I start my workout with neck warm ups and stretches. hope that helps

aLinux is not very well liked. (-100) aLinux is not very well liked. (-100) aLinux is not very well liked. (-100) aLinux is not very well liked. (-100) aLinux is not very well liked. (-100) aLinux is not very well liked. (-100) aLinux is not very well liked. (-100) aLinux is not very well liked. (-100) aLinux is not very well liked. (-100) aLinux is not very well liked. (-100) aLinux is not very well liked. (-100)
    Doing a bit heavier shoulder shrugs makes me dizzier for days. I think we have pinched nerve.