/JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000)

Bar Placement on Squats

Sorry for this overly pendantic question, but I tried doing Olympic style squats with just the bar last week and it didn't feel very good, so I want to make sure I'm holding the bar correctly. I haven't seen clear examples of bar placement, so I took my own pictures to illustrate.

High Bar The bar is only on about 6 inches of scrunched traps. If it were a lot heavier, it would also be sitting on my shoulders. None of this feels very good or secure at the moment, but do I just need to get used to it like wrist stretching with the clean grip?

In Between A compromise? It felt more like the low bar position, sort of high on my back rather than on top of my traps/shoulders. Is this acceptable?

(Reference) Low Bar, what I normally use for squats. Comfy, stable, love it.

Do either of the first two look correct, or does anyone have any reference photos or a good way to describe how/where to place the bar for a back squat?
    PL Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109470421&goto=newpost

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    I use the mid-bar position. It's just what came naturally.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hatmanii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    While bar placement does have a bit to do with leverages and the width of your squat stance, go with what feels the most comfortable as not everyone is the same, and what works for one, does not always work for another.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    mid-bar for me, I could never lift heavy low bar and completely high up on my traps just started feeling uncomfortable after a while, mid-bar felt best after a while so I use that for the most part.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scotty2hotty24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ive usually have it quite high but when you get low it begin to ache on youe neck a bit too much. so try push the bar down then up while keep pressure on it too grab as much skin/mussle tissue as possible

lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000) lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000) lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000) lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000) lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000) lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000) lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000) lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000) lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000) lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000) lewdog_5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I go about at the in between picture, maybe a touch higher.

PhD in Broscience crackyflipside's Avatar
    crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
    Same here, I never thought about where the bar sits, that is just where it goes on instinct.
    Olympic Weightlifting: Cuban Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703396581

Snatch: 97kg
    Clean and jerk: 120kg
    Front squat 160kg
    Back squat: 170kg

Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Govithoy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
    x2. I start it off in the low bar position, then roll or slide the bar forward until it sits in a nice groove made by my traps around the "mid-bar" picture position. Once it's in the pocket I unrack it and step back.
    gympunk - "Thank God my wife hasn't ever been bothered by cum shooting around."

ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I go highbar personally

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y8yKSJbpFI

Here's world champ Zhang Guozheng squating highbar.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...78076999364233

Ivan Chakarov doing no no no squats 265 at 91. Highbar as well

Probably a matter of personal preference but highbar is the most common I've seen in training halls.
    Reps:

Elwood83
    skinnyant
    cbetz916
    skinny buckeye
    wgr73
    nguye140
    RandomMisc
    Coppatop

/JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000) /JV/ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by crackyflipside View Post
    Same here, I never thought about where the bar sits, that is just where it goes on instinct.
    I have no natural instinct when it comes to any of this stuff, so I had to ask for clarification. So far, it seems several of you prefer something in the middle, perhaps a little higher than in my second pic above. I think I can work with that as it feels more stable and doesn't dig into the meaty part of my traps as much.

Originally Posted by ILIFT! View Post
    I go highbar personally

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y8yKSJbpFI

Here's world champ Zhang Guozheng squating highbar.
    I saw that earlier today. He seems to place the bar really high. Couldn't imagine being under that bar like that.
    PL Journal:

ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50) ILIFT! will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Post a video of your olympic squat, could be other factors affecting how it feels.

and just to clarify, how long have you been doing this style of squatting?
    Reps:

Elwood83
    skinnyant
    cbetz916
    skinny buckeye
    wgr73
    nguye140
    RandomMisc
    Coppatop

Post a video of your olympic squat, could be other factors affecting how it feels.

and just to clarify, how long have you been doing this style of squatting?
    I'm pretty much brand new to it. Tried it once last week to get an idea of what it's supposed to feel like. I'm guessing there are plenty of things that need fixing. I'll see if I can record it in the next few days.
    PL Journal:

Originally Posted by AnotherSet View Post
    I'm pretty much brand new to it. Tried it once last week to get an idea of what it's supposed to feel like. I'm guessing there are plenty of things that need fixing. I'll see if I can record it in the next few days.
    yea just keep practicing, during my transition from regular squats to OL style squats I used kind of a mid bar wide grip. Then as I got heavier I found that highbar with a closer grip (maybe narrower than my clean grip) helped me keep my back tight and chest out, giving me better power transfer at the bottom. Now its second nature.
    Reps:

Elwood83
    skinnyant
    cbetz916
    skinny buckeye
    wgr73
    nguye140
    RandomMisc
    Coppatop

I know my back is rounding at the bottom of the squat. I have trouble keeping a flat back in a few positions. Any other corrections or tips would be appreciated.
    PL Journal:

I know my back is rounding at the bottom of the squat. I have trouble keeping a flat back in a few positions. Any other corrections or tips would be appreciated.
    Overall it looks alright. There are no glaring problems and I think you will get used to the highbar over time.

Some key points to remember. Keep your weight on your heels, the moment you rock onto your toes, game over. The back rounding goes away over time. Currently its a matter of hip mobility, if you haven't done ATG squats your back will round a bit at the bottom. Look up some Mobility Drills online (Stronglifts.com has a good one). Mobility Drills plus consistent ATG squats will have you squatting with a solid arch in a few months.

Take home points. Just keep practicing, nothin to it but to do it.
    Reps:

Elwood83
    skinnyant
    cbetz916
    skinny buckeye
    wgr73
    nguye140
    RandomMisc
    Coppatop

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I would say put some heavy weight on the bar like 85% of maximum or so maybe more. Thats when its easier to point out weakness in form. Right now if you want to go heavy looks like you shifting forward too much which might give problems with heavy weight.

Registered User rancid_theclash's Avatar
    rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000) rancid_theclash is just really nice. (+1000)
    also in the high bar you can wrap your thumb around ( like normal bench grip) and I've heard alot of people say the back may round in high bar if you're shoe doesn't have a heel.

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rancid_theclash View Post
    also in the high bar you can wrap your thumb around ( like normal bench grip) and I've heard alot of people say the back may round in high bar if you're shoe doesn't have a heel.
    you can wrap your thumb with a low bar, too

I don't like wrapping my thumb though, and I squat medium
    Last edited by Torrtrefireto; 02-16-2011 at 05:33 AM.
    771/645/622 Single Ply

pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50) pfffft will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    here is my lame high bar location with low bar hip drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcsQBPh5_ig
    pffft

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I was just wondering, when front squatting does anyone else hold the bar in the palm of their hand (but still have it rest on your delts, not on your wrists) as opposed to just on the fingertips? When I look at videos, it seems most lifters don't do it this way but I find this position to be more comfortable.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iberian80 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by matjusm View Post
    I was just wondering, when front squatting does anyone else hold the bar in the palm of their hand (but still have it rest on your delts, not on your wrists) as opposed to just on the fingertips? When I look at videos, it seems most lifters don't do it this way but I find this position to be more comfortable.
    I am not very consistent. Sometimes I am barely holding it at all, others I will kind of use the opportunity as a strech/flexibility time. As long as you aren't actually using your arms/wrists to support the weight I am not sure how much a difference it makes.

Since my old thread was brought back to life, I'll provide a little update in case anyone has any new advice...

The last block of training when I tried a high bar squat did not go well. I ended up setting the bar high up on my back where I thought it should be and it ended up being on that bone at the base of my neck. (not good) Then I tried to set the bar lower, just behind that bone, and the weight of the loaded bar sunk into my traps so that the bar was resting on the tops of my shoulders. (again, bar on bone, not feeling good) I ended up scrapping it after 3 weeks of not finding a decent position.

It pains me to admit that I couldn't figure it out, but I don't have the time or extra frustration allowance to try again now. Maybe someday.
    PL Journal:

lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000) lwild is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I use the in-between. I started off with it at the highest point and as I got stronger the heavier weights started to hurt and cause numbess during the ends of sets due to the bar digging into my spinal nerves which is obviously not a good thing. I kind of found that "in-between" position by accident one day, bar just slipped down there and felt good so stuck with it. Later realised that most oly lifters use that position too. example:

PBs:
    Oly Squat: 145 kg
    Front Squat: 125 kg
    Strict Overhead Press: 75x2 kg
    Push Press: 90 kg
    Bench Press: 100 kg
    Deadlift: 180 kg
    Power|Full Clean: 95|100 kg
    (Hang) Power Snatch: 72.5 kg
    40-Yard Dash: 4.7s
    3-Cone Drill: 6.8s

My Strength Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129882473

☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆
    ~misc audiophile crew