Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Comeback at age 36 but need some help

I posted this same post in the over 35 section, but I thought I might get some help here as well considering it deals with supplementation. Any help is greatly appreciated!

As stated in the title of this post, I am 36. For a little background I used to be a gym rat from 19-26. I was a fanatic and all natural. At 5'9" I eventually topped out at 197 pretty lean. (good abs, leg striations etc not contest shape though)

I was real into heavy lifting and got real strong over the years. Squatting 500 for reps 7-8, stiff leg dead lifts with 405, Dumbell flys with 120's. and my favorite, deadlift 545 repping 8-10.

Long story short....life happened. Job....marrige....kids....etc. I Basically quit working out all together. I had a few spurts where I almost got back in...but it never held. I always stayed around 195....but it was far from all muscle.

Nine months ago (10 years away from the gym).....I stepped on the scale and I was at 200. (not a good 200!) I then made the commitment to get back in the gym.

Since then I have been working out religiously qne watching what I eat. 3-4 times a week I do weight training with a split of upper and lower body. I am a believer in basic exercises all free weights. And my results have been pretty good.

I am feeling a little puny though.... I am down to 183 and my abs are making a decent showing. I am in decent shape....but I miss the mass I used to carry. My strength after all those years off is kind of embarrassing.... Squatting 365 for 8-10, benching 225 for 10...etc. and deadlifts make me struggle at 350. Kind of a blow to the old ego....but oh well.

Being out of it for so long, I am totally ignorant to the new supplements. I missed the whole pro-hormone thing....and I am totally confused at what supplements to take.

I am currently taking:

Whey protein (trying to intake about 150g/day of protein a day)
    Creatine
    Glutamine. 15g/day
    No-explode 1 scoop before workout

I tried ZMA and tribulus....but did not notice anything dramatic. ZMA gives nice sleep though.

My basic question is......if any of you guys can cut though all the BS and give a guy some good straight advice on supplements. I know this is a pretty open-ended question....and everyone has their own opinions.....but is there anything I am really missing? I hope to get back to a decent shape over the coming year. I am not going for mr. olympia.....I'd like to be back around 190, fairly lean, healthy and feeling good again.

Thank you guys in advance for all your help.

Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What's going on bro.

First of all, congrats on the comeback, as I'm sure you know, you've already acccomplished a great deal by getting back into the gym and staying there!

Being that this is such an open ended question, I'll start by saying that I like the supps you're running, however, you need a multi-vitamin in there. That will help with a lot of different stuff. I like Orange Triad by Controlled Labs. It's a multi, joint support, and immune support, all in one (hence the word triad).

Also, if you're looking to put on some mass, you need more protein. I would suggest no less than 1.5g per lb. of bodyweight. 150g just isn't going to cut it.

Now I don't know about the rest of your diet, but if you weigh around 180, roughly you should be getting somewhere close to 3000 calories. I would say that 45% of those should come from carbs, 35% from protein, and 20% from good fats. You don't want your fats to drop below 20%, then you're T-levels will fall too, and that's bad!

As far as supplementation goes. I happen to like Activate Xtreme from Driven Sports. It boosts your [e]free[/e] testosterone, which is what your body uses for muscle building purposes. And it doesn't mess with your actual hormone levels. Hence, there's no need for a PCT (Post Cycle Therapy). I used it and saw some really nice gains while staying lean. Do 4 weeks on, 2 off, then 4 weeks on.

I hope this information helps, and if you need anything else, you can PM me...

Again, congrats on the comeback, you're on your way to 200....the good 200!

Take care and God bless!

Wizdom
    ~Wizdom

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" - Vince Lombardi

induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Wizdom

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the encouraging words.

You hit on one of my main questions. That is Test-boosters and Pro-hormones. At 35, I figure I could use a little help. It is hard to sift through all the hype. Missing the last 10 years leaves me a little behind in the supplement education.

I see people seem to think Mass FX or T Bol are effective. (I have no idea what they are or if they work)

The Activate Xtreme you recommended looks like it has been discontinued.

For the past nine months, I have concentrated my workouts on rebuilding my basic form and the strength of all my connective tissues. I have not gone below 8 reps in anything. I work out by myself at home so I dont have a spotter. I have a pretty full set-up though and I am not really lacking any equipment.

I learned a good lesson right not long after I started. I got a little too excited about 3 months in that my strength was coming back on squats.....then a loud "POP" and stage II tear in my hamstring. (not the type that requires surgery....but it was about 10weeks recovering) That taught me that my strength would come back quicker then my body might be able to handle. Since then I have been taking it easy and light....like I said...nothing below 8 reps.

I feel I am now ready to ramp it up a little, and start going to the next level.

Thanks for the diet advice. I think my goal to get my abs back has had me a little too restricted on calories. I am OK with my overall composition at this point and want to try to put some muscle on. Then in time for summer, I want to have time to lean out a little.

Any other ideas you think would be helpful?

Thanks again!.

CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptMcClain is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    I posted this same post in the over 35 section, but I thought I might get some help here as well considering it deals with supplementation. Any help is greatly appreciated!

As stated in the title of this post, I am 36. For a little background I used to be a gym rat from 19-26. I was a fanatic and all natural. At 5'9" I eventually topped out at 197 pretty lean. (good abs, leg striations etc not contest shape though)

I was real into heavy lifting and got real strong over the years. Squatting 500 for reps 7-8, stiff leg dead lifts with 405, Dumbell flys with 120's. and my favorite, deadlift 545 repping 8-10.

Long story short....life happened. Job....marrige....kids....etc. I Basically quit working out all together. I had a few spurts where I almost got back in...but it never held. I always stayed around 195....but it was far from all muscle.

Nine months ago (10 years away from the gym).....I stepped on the scale and I was at 200. (not a good 200!) I then made the commitment to get back in the gym.

Since then I have been working out religiously qne watching what I eat. 3-4 times a week I do weight training with a split of upper and lower body. I am a believer in basic exercises all free weights. And my results have been pretty good.

I am feeling a little puny though.... I am down to 183 and my abs are making a decent showing. I am in decent shape....but I miss the mass I used to carry. My strength after all those years off is kind of embarrassing.... Squatting 365 for 8-10, benching 225 for 10...etc. and deadlifts make me struggle at 350. Kind of a blow to the old ego....but oh well.

Being out of it for so long, I am totally ignorant to the new supplements. I missed the whole pro-hormone thing....and I am totally confused at what supplements to take.

I am currently taking:

Whey protein (trying to intake about 150g/day of protein a day)
    Creatine
    Glutamine. 15g/day
    No-explode 1 scoop before workout

I tried ZMA and tribulus....but did not notice anything dramatic. ZMA gives nice sleep though.

My basic question is......if any of you guys can cut though all the BS and give a guy some good straight advice on supplements. I know this is a pretty open-ended question....and everyone has their own opinions.....but is there anything I am really missing? I hope to get back to a decent shape over the coming year. I am not going for mr. olympia.....I'd like to be back around 190, fairly lean, healthy and feeling good again.

Thank you guys in advance for all your help.
    you can rid yourself of glutamine unless you have an impaired immune or digestive system, it doesnt add muscle mass, and you get alot from whey protein and just about any complete protein source

tribulus is useless except for sex drive, and it doesnt boost T levels, trib alatus might though, look into ThermoLifes TBOL

ZMA is good only if you have a defiency, also make sure you get copper with your zinc because one depletes the other, look into MST's ZMK, also dont take it with calicum as it blocks it

aside from that I'd get on creatine, beta alanine, fish oil, and the whey you already have is fine, try NOW Creatine, NOW Beta Alanine, MAN CLOUT, AI's Essentials is good too but you have to go to there site, its not on bb.com

the others all are though, gl

EDIT: I think this may be the wrong section man, get a mod to move it for ya
    Last edited by CaptMcClain; 01-05-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wizdom C kerr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wizdom

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the encouraging words.

You hit on one of my main questions. That is Test-boosters and Pro-hormones. At 35, I figure I could use a little help. It is hard to sift through all the hype. Missing the last 10 years leaves me a little behind in the supplement education.

I see people seem to think Mass FX or T Bol are effective. (I have no idea what they are or if they work)

The Activate Xtreme you recommended looks like it has been discontinued.

For the past nine months, I have concentrated my workouts on rebuilding my basic form and the strength of all my connective tissues. I have not gone below 8 reps in anything. I work out by myself at home so I dont have a spotter. I have a pretty full set-up though and I am not really lacking any equipment.

I learned a good lesson right not long after I started. I got a little too excited about 3 months in that my strength was coming back on squats.....then a loud "POP" and stage II tear in my hamstring. (not the type that requires surgery....but it was about 10weeks recovering) That taught me that my strength would come back quicker then my body might be able to handle. Since then I have been taking it easy and light....like I said...nothing below 8 reps.

I feel I am now ready to ramp it up a little, and start going to the next level.

Thanks for the diet advice. I think my goal to get my abs back has had me a little too restricted on calories. I am OK with my overall composition at this point and want to try to put some muscle on. Then in time for summer, I want to have time to lean out a little.

Any other ideas you think would be helpful?

Thanks again!.

Activate Xtreme used to be made under a company named Designer Supplements. Then the creator of the supp took his info and went to a company called Driven Sports. It's under that company now with the same name. Here's the correct link:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dr...atextreme.html

As far as PH's go, I haven't run any in quite some time. I ran a cycle of Methyl Masterdrol (PH) a couple years ago and had really good results while on it. But after the cycle, I lost a lot of strength.

I think for you and your age, DHEA is a great choice. Gaspari Nutrition makes Halodrol Liquigels that I've heard some good things about. You can read up on DHEA here:

http://bodybuilding.com/store/dhea.html

Check these out and let me know what you think.

Wizdom
    ~Wizdom

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" - Vince Lombardi

Wizdom

Thanks again for the help.

From doing a search on this forum...people seem real excited about Activate Xtreme. Definitely looks like a good option.

As for DHEA, there seems to be some controversy as to it's effectiveness. I guess it could not hurt.

Reading about some of these things, are there recommended "cycles" one should follow? Are there dangers of lowering your test output when you go off these?

Thanks again from a guy that might as well be a noob at this point. Back in the day, I was pretty hard-core...now I am rocking the mini-van and diapers . All kidding aside. Thank you.

Wizdom

Thanks again for the help.

From doing a search on this forum...people seem real excited about Activate Xtreme. Definitely looks like a good option.

As for DHEA, there seems to be some controversy as to it's effectiveness. I guess it could not hurt.

Reading about some of these things, are there recommended "cycles" one should follow? Are there dangers of lowering your test output when you go off these?

Thanks again from a guy that might as well be a noob at this point. Back in the day, I was pretty hard-core...now I am rocking the mini-van and diapers . All kidding aside. Thank you.
    Anytime my friend. Everyone needs help at one time or another, I'm sure back in the day you took time to help someone out, and now it's comin' back around.

To answer your cycle question, it really depends on what you take. If you run a PH, then you're going to need to take a PCT (post cycle therapy) because your body's natural production of test will be low and you need to ramp it back up. I can give you a great site and info regarding that if that's the road you decide to go. Just PM me and I'll give you the info. Also, if you're going the PH route, then you should probably stop taking NO Xplode, and save it for when you come off the PH so you'll have a little extra boost in your workout when you're feeling low...Also with a PH you're going to need to get a hold of some cycle support by Anabolic Innovations. It's a blend of stuff to help your heart, liver and such stay healthy through the cycle. Again, let me know and I can give you the low down on what you need to prepare for such a cycle so you're doing it safely...

If you take Activate Xtreme, there's no need for a PCT because it doesn't mess with your T-levels per se, just the amount of free testosterone in your system. The same company makes a supplement called Lean Xtreme, which is a non-stim fat burner. I recommend stacking that with the AX. That will help even more with keeping your gains lean and clean.
    ~Wizdom

I think then I will keep it simple and do the Activate Xtreme and stack with the lean Xtreme. As long as it is not a heavy stimulant....I would be OK with it. If I drink more the two cups of coffee, I will be up for days.

Pro-hormones sound like a lot of trouble, especially if it could possibly cause complications.

A dumb question....is DHEA considered a PH?

I will look to order the AX and LX.

Thanks man!

I appreciate all the help guys. I dug up some old pics from 95 and put them on my profile. Not the best shape ever or my heaviest....but these are all I have.

Dont laugh too hard. Yea those shorts were in style at one time

Yes....also....my legs and calves were, and still are small. It was not for lack of working them though...

Most of you guys wont believe me...but in this pic I was about 190.... and repping 6-8 545 lb deadlifts and 505 squats. No lie.

Trust me.... I am more then humbled now. 12 years later and MUCH weaker.

Anyway....When I get some decent progress pics, I will post them. No one wants to see a half fat, starting to grey, almost in shape guy .

This seems like a great forum with good people. I am glad I found it and want to say thanks again! You guys got me psyched to hit it again!