ttbeach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Skinny guy trying to gain some weight + need workout suggestions

So I'm a pretty skinny guy. I am 5'10 and only weigh 143 pounds. I've been lifting for almost a year now and so far I've gained about 15 pounds total. I was 148ish about two months ago but it seems like everytime I gain weight now it seems to go to my stomach? Even when I try eating clean it seems a lot of it goes to my stomach. So I was wondering what a good way to prevent this would be? I was also wondering if it's possible to gain muscle mass without adding on too much fat? If anyone has any suggestions for good workout articles it'd be greatly appreciated.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What kind of programme are you doing now? Please don't tell me it's a split programme.

Please don't.

I'm sure that some of the weight you've gained has been muscle, but if it isn't, that means you've been eating the wrong stuff i.e. junk food.

FWIW, here's what I'd do. Eat a gram of protein for every pound you weigh and add about 25 extra grams. Divide all that up into six meals a day and that should be enough for now. You can always eat more, but stick with this for the time being. NO junk; stick to lean meat, pork, chicken, veggies, fruit, some bread, and milk or milk byproducts.

Are you doing the major lifts faithfully, or are you just doing chest and arms? If you want to get bigger all over, you have to work your legs and back and work them hard. Squats, deadlifts, chins and rows are the big movements for relative newbs; in fact, for most of us. Don't wimp out on the power movements. Ever.

Post your routine and you'll get feedback, good or bad.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

ttbeach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    well for the past two weeks I have been really busy and have not been able to hit the gym and am currently looking at workout articles. after looking for about an hour i stumbled across Charles Poliquin's GVT and was wondering if this would be any good?

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    NO.
    NO.
    NO NO NO NO NO.

GVT is a good programme, but it is IMHO for more advanced guys--and you ain't advanced. Do yourself a favour and get on a Rippetoe or Starr-type routine, no excuses, no GVT, and no BS.

No kidding.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stanco is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    NO.
    NO.
    NO NO NO NO NO.

GVT is a good programme, but it is IMHO for more advanced guys--and you ain't advanced. Do yourself a favour and get on a Rippetoe or Starr-type routine, no excuses, no GVT, and no BS.

No kidding.
    GVT is a training routine made by the best strength coach in the world who gets paid thousands of dollars to train olympic athletes.

Charles said himself that being an ectomorth is or a hard gainer is just an excuse. You still have to work your ass off.

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    GVT is not ideal for you currently, GuyJin has tried to set you on the right path but if you insist on sticking to the 10x10 style of training then I suggest at least making some adjustments, 6x6 would be far more reasonable.

Pick 1 exercise for each day of the week (7 in total) that cover your entire body, perform 6 sets of 6 reps with 2 minutes rest between each set and add more weight once you are able to complete 6x6 with exactly 2 minutes rest between each set.

As you become more advnaced in the future (years) you may wish to progress to 7x7, then 8x8, then 9x9, then 10x10, you get the idea.
    Last edited by Kelei; 12-30-2008 at 03:47 AM.

Originally Posted by Stanco View Post
    GVT is a training routine made by the best strength coach in the world who gets paid thousands of dollars to train olympic athletes.

Charles said himself that being an ectomorth is or a hard gainer is just an excuse. You still have to work your ass off.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charles Poliquin IS a fine coach and strength expert; no doubt about it. And the part about working your tail off is also correct. However, if you work your butt off on a programme which YOU ARE NOT READY FOR--like the OP is at this time in his life--then the programme is meaningless.

I'm all for hard work. I'm also all for CORRECT hard work, one which is within one's capabilities. Doing a huge amount of work when you haven't worked up to it won't amount to a hill of beans; it'll just lead to overtraining and burnout.