Closed Thread
    BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lat pulldowns VS. Cable rows

I am trying to cut down my workout amount and was just wondering what is the difference between the lat pulldown and row? Obviously they hit the Lattisimus dorsi from different angles but is it neccessary to do both? I"m on a 4 day slip and i work my back on tuesday and friday. SHould i do both each day or should i do one on tues. and the other on friday? What does everyone think?
    The reason is to be as healthy and fit as i can be!!!!!!

Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Black_Mage_X is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pulldowns are for upper back and Rows are for the lower back.

Unofficial Site Chaplain merkong's Avatar
    merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Black_Mage_X View Post
    Pulldowns are for upper back and Rows are for the lower back.
    Well, pulldowns do hit the upper back and the lats while the rows hit the lats and the middle/upper back...

If you're trying cut down your workout times you certainly could do them on different days.
    1/3/09 bench press 1rm 300#
    1/3/10 bench press 1rm 315#

I don't lift like ^^that^^ anymore...

Just lifting because I love it and trying to lead by example with my 3 elite athlete kids; Amanda on the Varsity Dance Team, Zack playing lacrosse on an elite level and starring on our 8th grade football team and fast becoming a golf prodigy and Kitty excelling at the grade school level on the track, soccer field and basketball court.

xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xspasmx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Any type of pull-up exercise is going to focus on training the outer part of your back and will work to add width to your back. Pull downs are like a pull-up only you are seated and using a machine however the range of motion is still pulling from over your head to your body.

Rowing type movements will put a greater focus on your inner back and will help add thickness to your back.

Tendon insertion and the size and shape your upper back muscles will take are mostly determined by genetics. However I would be sure to include both a rowing movement and a pull-up movement of some type on a regular basis.

Doing one on Friday and the other the other day could work out well assuming you are using an appropriate weight and volume. It is also completely feasible to do both on the same day.

OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldGuard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BuildYourGUnz View Post
    I am trying to cut down my workout amount and was just wondering what is the difference between the lat pulldown and row? Obviously they hit the Lattisimus dorsi from different angles but is it neccessary to do both? I"m on a 4 day slip and i work my back on tuesday and friday. SHould i do both each day or should i do one on tues. and the other on friday? What does everyone think?
    If you had to choose, I'd say keep the rows and ditch the pulldowns. The rows will hit your outer back to a degree, and hit the inner and mid back as well. The rows also tend to improve your posture a lot better than the pulldowns - they are great for counteracting the "caveman" shoulders that result from heavy bench presses.

BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuildYourGUnz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks Old star. Good info. I def. don't want those caveman shoulders. I seen a guy in the gym last week that was huge but his shoulders were much larger than the rest of his body. He looked ridiculous.
    The reason is to be as healthy and fit as i can be!!!!!!

spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) spartan09 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xspasmx View Post
    Any type of pull-up exercise is going to focus on training the outer part of your back and will work to add width to your back. Pull downs are like a pull-up only you are seated and using a machine however the range of motion is still pulling from over your head to your body.

Rowing type movements will put a greater focus on your inner back and will help add thickness to your back.

Tendon insertion and the size and shape your upper back muscles will take are mostly determined by genetics. However I would be sure to include both a rowing movement and a pull-up movement of some type on a regular basis.

Doing one on Friday and the other the other day could work out well assuming you are using an appropriate weight and volume. It is also completely feasible to do both on the same day.
    Yep!

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lat Pulldown targets lats. Cable Row targets middle traps, and is more important for good posture. In any case, it's generally good to have 2 upper back exercises that include scapula adduction for every 1 chest exercise, to help prevent kyphosis and forward shoulders. So Cable Row is a keeper for good posture, while Lat Pulldown will have more impact on the visible size of your back because the lats stick out more and are even visible from the front if big enough. I wouldn't cut out either of them. They're both also good for your biceps and shoulders, being compound exercises.

Ricks2524 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    Lat Pulldown targets lats. Cable Row targets middle traps, and is more important for good posture. In any case, it's generally good to have 2 upper back exercises that include scapula adduction for every 1 chest exercise, to help prevent kyphosis and forward shoulders. So Cable Row is a keeper for good posture, while Lat Pulldown will have more impact on the visible size of your back because the lats stick out more and are even visible from the front if big enough. I wouldn't cut out either of them. They're both also good for your biceps and shoulders, being compound exercises.
    My workout uses pulldowns on Mon and Thurs and rows on Tues, Friday

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ricks2524 View Post
    My workout uses pulldowns on Mon and Thurs and rows on Tues, Friday
    Strong 9year bump! How do you guys find these threads to post in!? Lol.

Seriously? In can't even find my own posts let alone ones this old.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Strong 9year bump! How do you guys find these threads to post in!? Lol.

Seriously? In can't even find my own posts let alone ones this old.
    I think they appear in a panel at the bottom - supposedly related to the thread you are viewing. Pretty useless feature if you ask me.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I think they appear in a panel at the bottom - supposedly related to the thread you are viewing. Pretty useless feature if you ask me.
    Fair play, that Makes sense..but an odd feature Indeed.

I don't see it as 95% of my browsing here is in my phone lol.

I miss the section that used to list my own posts, I forget what I posts all the time and never get back to threads :-D
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 04-28-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: :-D
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

asiaface is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BuildYourGUnz View Post
    well i do rows more, because it hits lats lower traps spinal erectors (depends if you use cable rows or barbell rows), and rear delts so i do that more. It is good to use both, but rows are better for me.

GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GymGeek91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You do realise you’re replying to an 11 year old thread bud

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    edit: strong bump, but this still rustled my jimmies

Some seriously ****ed info in this thread...

Cable rows and "lat" pulldowns can both work either the upper back or the lats, it's entirely dependent on setup and execution....

Arm path direction of pull are key. For rows, driving elbows down towards hips will target the lats, elbows out/straight back will be more upper back.

For pulldowns:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuepUVCnSoH/