Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Shadow Boxing with weights?

At the movies last week, I saw Rocky doing upcuts with weights in his hands during a trailer.

From what I know, this could potentialy ruin joints in my arms. However, I don't know anything about it.

So how can shadow boxing with dumbells benefit/harm me.

Please inform!

Cheers

shindiggler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shindiggler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shindiggler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shindiggler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shindiggler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Some people think it's bad for your joins and makes you have bad form.

At my gym we do a round of shadow boxing with 2lbs or 3lbs weights, this way we can keep good form and it's not terrible on the arms. It's a good shoulder work out when you keep your hands up and try and do quick combos with weight. Then when you shadowbox normally you feel a lot quicker.
    "I was always interested in proportion and perfection. When I was fifteen, I took off my clothes and looked in the mirror. When I stared at myself naked, I realized that to be perfectly proportioned I would need twenty-inch arms to match the rest of me."

-Arnold

Hard Work! Dedication! Mayweatherjr's Avatar
    Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    well i wouldnt use db's if possible
    but mayweather hits the bag with weights that strap around the wrist of his gloves so im assuming its not terrible on your joints seeming as how hes a world class fighter
    www.mayweatherpromotions.com

Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    they best way to do them is with 20 oz gloves. but if you dont have those in handy, use 2-3 lb dumbells.

rocky doing uppercuts slow a **** with 50+ lb dumbells made no sense to me at all

rustysurf83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    We take rubber bands, loop them over a pull up bar and stand with your back towards the bar. It seems to work the shoulders pretty good without really flyiing around like free weights might.
    You know I'm training to be a cage fighter Gosh Napolean

mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000) mdmass06 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I also use weights strapped to wrist and i also found some weighted gloves to use while hitting the bag/or shadow boxing. Its a great workout, I would recommend it. Just like someone mentioned before once you use the weights you feel a hell of lot faster and you do actually gain hand speed over time.
    Native warrior on the streets and in the sheets.

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jersey Mauler View Post
    they best way to do them is with 20 oz gloves. but if you dont have those in handy, use 2-3 lb dumbells.

rocky doing uppercuts slow a **** with 50+ lb dumbells made no sense to me at all
    Dittos above.
    Makes the most sense.
    20 oz = 1.25 lbs.
    Not that much.
    More than that makes you fight momentum to stop the motion.
    Looks to me like an invite to tendon or ligament injury.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) Reiv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I suppose that motorcycle gloves would be quite good for this.

They have titanium knuckles, so its a weight, but its not that heavy.

Edit: Don't actually punch someone with these on, it'll crack your knuckles

theimmortal1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It is very common to use weights for shadowboxing. Just remember not to extend your arm fully so as to prevent hyperextension (this should always be done when shadowboxing...with or without weights). The main thing weights help is to build your tolerance to lactic acid, build muscular endurance, and it is really easy to keep your hands up without weights after you have practiced with weights. Shadowboxing with and without weights should be a part of your regular routine. 50 pound dumbbells as shown in Rocky is far too much though. Use 2-5 pounds and shadowbox for 3 to 5 3 minute rounds every practice.
    "Everyone has a plan...........until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson

TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bad for joints.
    From everything i know.
    But hey im not a Tito Ortiz over here.
    If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize. - Muhammed Ali

Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500)
    You would be better off punching a heavy bag until fatigued.

Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by TC123 View Post
    But hey im not a Tito Ortiz over here.
    Which is a good thing!

TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TC123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^
    Good thing?
    That guy is amazing.
    If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize. - Muhammed Ali

Originally Posted by TC123 View Post
    ^
    Good thing?
    That guy is amazing.
    I like how he got destroyed by Chuck Liddell.

REACTiON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    8oz gloves and shadow boxing for 5 minutes will get a warm up workout done. dont use dumbbells... imagine if you're getting tired and you accidently hit yourself.
    ShoYoRoLL

I thought I would add another question onto the end of this, rather than create a new thread.

Is boxing a dangerous as it's made out to be?

My father's main argument is that I'll break my nose and it'll be collapsed for ever. Bearing in mind that I've always had problems with my nose, and I've just recently had it quarterised.

Breakages are my main worry.

REACTiON has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    every sport is dangerous if you dont practice/train. boxing can break your nose if hit hard enough to do so... so far in my mma training i havn't broken my nose yet, just a nose bleed here and there but thats about it. if you want to box then box... just be sure to train. my coach always tells the new guys that the most dangerous ones in the gym training is the new people because

1. sometimes they want to show off what they got and might take it to the extreme.

2. they dont know the teq and might break someones arm.

3. they dont know their own power.
    ShoYoRoLL

Originally Posted by smj5351 View Post
    I like how he got destroyed by Chuck Liddell.
    Then Chuck Liddell is even more amazing.
    He's a UFC fighter....So he is amazing.

Chuck Liddell is a peice of **** compared to Fedor then.