joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Left Handed Compliments;

"You must be taking Steroids?" At my age it's kind of a compliment just to be noticed but kinda not when they think the only way I can do anything is to "cheat".

Sometimes I'm asked like what's an old man like me doing at a gym? What am I trying to prove? My short answer is usually something like, "It's cheaper than going to a psychiatrist." So this one young lady looks at me and remarks, "You must've been really eff'ed up!"
    Last edited by joewattie; 03-14-2024 at 04:49 AM.
    joe Henry

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wouldn't consider it cheating unless you were in some type of competition where it gave you an unfair advantage...but I get your overall point. I would just take it as a compliment....it means that you are doing something right
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    I wouldn't consider it cheating unless you were in some type of competition where it gave you an unfair advantage...but I get your overall point. I would just take it as a compliment....it means that you are doing something right
    Well said and I agree. That's why I put "cheat" in quotes. Sometimes it (using steroids) is cheat but many times it's just another version of plastic surgery or hair transplants :-) In either case the assumption of steroid use is presumptuous but there is a compliment buried in there ...
    joe Henry

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by joewattie View Post
    "You must be taking Steroids?" At my age it's kind of a compliment just to be noticed but kinda not when they think the only way I can do anything is to "cheat".

Sometimes I'm asked like what's an old man like me doing at a gym? What am I trying to prove? My short answer is usually something like, "It's cheaper than going to a psychiatrist." So this one young lady looks at me and remarks, "You must've been really eff'ed up!"
    This is how I would have responded;

A building full of people engaging in self induced pseudo sado-masochistic behavior under the guise of physical exercise who are actually there to treat their uncomfortable mental health symptoms, stroke their low levels of self esteem or because the fear of an early painful death motivated them to get off the couch after 40 years.
    Here's a life lesson youngblood, the very foundation of of gyms, bb'ing, pl'ing, and physical culture is built off the backs of pioneers who were called nuts and crazy.
    You're here for a reason, take your pick, and given your age and presence here, I would deduce that you are probably a lot more effed up than I ever will be.
    By the way, welcome to the club!

People often comment on my strength levels without knowing the 35+ years I busted ass to get them.
    My stock response is;
    "Training keeps me out of jail, and others out of the morgue."

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    "You must be on ste r0ids" is a compliment, because they're surprised how strong or lean or whatever, but the problem is that the same person saying that is probably silly enough to think that people can pop a pill and suddenly get a six pack and see it as cheating. Given the people juicing have enhanced recovery rates they're probably amongst the hardest working people in gyms so the opposite of an easy way out! ( I'm absolutely *NOT* endorsing or encouraging use with that comment)

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    "You must be on ste r0ids" is a compliment, because they're surprised how strong or lean or whatever, but the problem is that the same person saying that is probably silly enough to think that people can pop a pill and suddenly get a six pack and see it as cheating. Given the people juicing have enhanced recovery rates they're probably amongst the hardest working people in gyms so the opposite of an easy way out! ( I'm absolutely *NOT* endorsing or encouraging use with that comment)

Tom, yes they may work hard but are they thinking hard?

I have no issues with someone who chooses to go down that path, there could be a number a reasons, but here’s what I’ve observed from some that tells me, they aren’t really working that hard-

Someone trains natural for a long time, they hit a level then they just fall into the heard, maybe thier coach or lifting peer says “it’s time”.

I’m a big believer that the natty needs to find thier own way to get to another level, that might mean to not do what others are doing, at least the same concepts. That may mean they must do what’s unpopular. Things like hitting the same muscle group daily, cheat reps, less ROM, super high reps, Bulgarian, instinct (unless your instinct is resting equals results) (there are times to rest, but the results happen from the work) etc etc
    Authentic Knights Swing Heavy Steel and Have Hands and Wrists of Steel!

Anti-Traditional Programs, Student of Instinct Training

"The Muscle Feeds Itself"- LWW

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I feel victimized to the point of going to a psychiatrist because people look at me only for being so good looking.

It's a hardship I will never get over. Please help me through this difficult and emotional time.

It's like non-stop...

It is a heavy burden.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

My couple of coppers on compliments.

I may be the unpopular opinion here but I don’t like getting complimented. I like to give them though.

How much do you bench has to be one of the more popular questions that many get from strangers following a compliment. In my case truth be told, I don’t bench, some of the people I tell this to just can’t understand how someone can gain considerable size without crawling under a barbell.

I don’t take most people accusing someone of being on as a compliment either. Most times it is coming from someone clueless about bodybuilding who probably considers anyone with a substantial build as being on. If it’s coming from a mass monster that would be different but coming from someone who isn’t built it isn’t a worthy compliment imo.

As far as left handed compliments go, some of them make me laugh, such as:

How much do you eat?
    Can you help me move?

I consider someone asking for advice is a subtle compliment and perhaps the only one that I don’t mind.

I have always gotten complimented on my size and strength but I would be ok if I never get another one.

I just don’t like getting compliments and not only gym related, I don’t care for it at any time.

In before Charles

Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mtpockets View Post

How much do you bench has to be one of the more popular questions that many get from strangers following a compliment.
    18 years lifting and I've only been asked this once, by a teenager. I was a little flattered and happy to tell the kid 300.

Not a big BB BP guy but I can hold my own, had a 335 Comp bench at 181, sadly I think those days are behind me.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    .... ...
    Agree with all of that, which is why I want to emphasise I wasn't endorsing or justifying that approach with my previous comment.

One factor on "you must be taking..." is the gym you go to, think I mentioned before that a couple of years ago I often trained at a gym near where I was working back then. The gym was directly opposite a giant law firm and at least half the people there were lawyers. They were all into triathlon, spinning classes etc. Their cardio warm-ups would probably kill me. Many used weights probably because they were told needed to support their cycling or something. You'd regularly see someone half squatting (40kg) 88 pounds and struggling to do it. I am not exaggerating.

Only a very few people in that gym were lifters or rugby players who lifted. If you even just ohp 1 plate or DL 3 plates you were an elite alpha male of that gym. I remember pressing a plate (60kg) 123 pounds and one of the staff came over and congratulated me. srs!!! You want to be accused of juicing go and train in that gym, it was a real ego massage, I felt like a beast every time I walked in the door. (If you saw me in real life you'd realise just how funny that is)

The opposite is walking into the early morning crew where I train now and being next to an international elite lifter (she's no longer there left recently to use home gym, shame as she was very friendly!) so I feel like the puny guy, nobody would accuse me at this gym, probably feel sorry for me. again srs!

Originally Posted by ArchAngel'73 View Post
    This is how I would have responded;

A building full of people engaging in self induced pseudo sado-masochistic behavior under the guise of physical exercise who are actually there to treat their uncomfortable mental health symptoms, stroke their low levels of self esteem or because the fear of an early painful death motivated them to get off the couch after 40 years.
    Here's a life lesson youngblood, the very foundation of of gyms, bb'ing, pl'ing, and physical culture is built off the backs of pioneers who were called nuts and crazy.
    You're here for a reason, take your pick, and given your age and presence here, I would deduce that you are probably a lot more effed up than I ever will be.
    By the way, welcome to the club!

People often comment on my strength levels without knowing the 35+ years I busted ass to get them.
    My stock response is;
    "Training keeps me out of jail, and others out of the morgue."
    A whole lotta insight there my friend. I choose, "fear of an early painful death motivated them to get off the couch after 40 years".
    joe Henry

Originally Posted by LWW View Post
    I’m a big believer that the natty needs to find their own way to get to another level, that might mean to not do what others are doing, at least the same concepts. That may mean they must do what’s unpopular. Things like hitting the same muscle group daily, cheat reps, less ROM, super high reps, Bulgarian, instinct (unless your instinct is resting equals results) (there are times to rest, but the results happen from the work) etc etc
    Good point. I've "stalled" and you made me think. I do a "full body" three times a week. I guess the next step would be a split routine but that could require a couple more days in the gym so I think I'll pass. At my age I'm happy with what I achieved. Three days is Fun. I look forward to my days at the gym and I look forward to my days off. More could turn into a chore.

Originally Posted by Mark1T View Post
    I feel victimized to the point of going to a psychiatrist because people look at me only for being so good looking.

It's a hardship I will never get over. Please help me through this difficult and emotional time. It's like non-stop...

It is a heavy burden.
    We were talking about steroids - NOT hallucinogens :-)
    joe Henry

Good point. I've "stalled" and you made me think. I do a "full body" three times a week. I guess the next step would be a split routine but that could require a couple more days in the gym so I think I'll pass. At my age I'm happy with what I achieved. Three days is Fun. I look forward to my days at the gym and I look forward to my days off. More could turn into a chore.
    I've been a fan of 3x a week full body style training. Doing that currently as inconsistent training in Q3 and 4 last year + some injuries mean I below my plateaus and working back up. But when I hit plateau, for me I found restructuring that 3x full body into roughly the same spread over 4 days (with additional back off and assistance work) was the sweet spot for me. Don't have the time to do 4x a week but if you are plateau maybe it'd work for you too?

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I ran into my girlfriends husband in a bar. They were separated. I said "That’s a nice shirt you are wearing. He said Thank you Paul. I said You normally don't wear nice clothes."
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Opossum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpockets: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Mark1T: Black Labrador retriever
    Paulinanas: Coyote
    Sails: Wlf

I may be the unpopular opinion here but I don’t like getting complimented.
    Me too. I'm socially awkward and get all clumsy when I get one ... especially if it's in a group setting. I do better if it's one on one and if it's performance related (rather than aesthetics). And I keep that in mind when I give a compliment.

As far as left handed compliments go, some of them make me laugh, such as:
    How much do you eat?
    Can you help me move?
    "Help me move" is a classic <lol> Heard a funny one the other day. A guy had just finished a pretty impressive set and one of the guys commented, "I want you for my pallbearer! Then I won't need all those other guys."
    joe Henry

I've been a fan of 3x a week full body style training. Doing that currently as inconsistent training in Q3 and 4 last year + some injuries mean I below my plateaus and working back up. But when I hit plateau, for me I found restructuring that 3x full body into roughly the same spread over 4 days (with additional back off and assistance work) was the sweet spot for me. Don't have the time to do 4x a week but if you are plateau maybe it'd work for you too?
    Thank you for your thoughts Tom. I reread your post several times before I realized I've done exactly that on occasion. There've been times I'm tired, not quite recovering, topped out. So sometimes I'll cut back to twice a week (skip a day). But, other times (to your point), I'll add a day and "spread it out". I'll couple the extra day with a regular day and do an upper/lower.

But I am old. Age, arthritis and an inventory of injuries are catching up with me. Gains are rare, plateaus are common and drops (in weights, reps, sets) are to be expected. At some point it becomes more about slowing down the decline and less about the gains. Even Arnold can't do what he used to.
    Last edited by joewattie; 03-22-2024 at 06:34 AM.
    joe Henry

... ...But I am old. Age, arthritis and an inventory of injuries are catching up with me. Gains are rare, plateaus are common and drops (in weights, reps, sets) are to be expected. At some point it becomes more about slowing down the decline and less about the gains. Even Arnold can't do what he used to.
    None of us are getting younger each day, we all have a slowly accumulating collection of injuries and you can't live in denial of aging, but I'm damn well not ready to go down this mental path. Sure my 100m running time is never going to improve, but there are aspects that I can still improve.

I went to a bar last weekend as an old buddy turned 50. There were several others there a similar age or one or two years older. I tried to talk about keeping active and still having "adventures". Invited a couple on an adventure. That word means very different things to different people but I mean something adventurous to challenge you and push comfort zone a bit.

I had loads of people say No, No, have to look after my knees now at my age I need to take it easier, not as young any more. If they had a serious medical issue I'd be sympathetic but their age is mostly in their heads. Yes and only 50!! And one guy saying that is in pretty good shape and health. Another old friend haven't seen in a long while and has a few years on them has a big beer gut he didn't have only 3 years ago and sits like an old man. Yet he has an active job. I actually wondered last week in another thread if he could close a captain of crush 2 or 3 without training as all he's done for last 30 years is lifting and carrying really really heavy archive boxes all day, but he also decided he is now old, so not sure about that #3 close now he's decided that.

This is depressing stuff. Really depressing.

Don't go down their route, it smells of defeat, what next waiting to die? Some things we aren't going to improve, some things we need to maintain, but there's also plenty of stuff we can improve if we bust our azz, even if not beat some glory day of the past we can do better than where we are now

Anyway... You're not paying me for this long motivation speech (waffle), so STFU with your defeatism - and get back in that gym

LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LWW has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    None of us are getting younger each day, we all have a slowly accumulating collection of injuries and you can't live in denial of aging, but I'm damn well not ready to go down this mental path. Sure my 100m running time is never going to improve, but there are aspects that I can still improve.

I went to a bar last weekend as an old buddy turned 50. There were several others there a similar age or one or two years older. I tried to talk about keeping active and still having "adventures". Invited a couple on an adventure. That word means very different things to different people but I mean something adventurous to challenge you and push comfort zone a bit.

I had loads of people say No, No, have to look after my knees now at my age I need to take it easier, not as young any more. If they had a serious medical issue I'd be sympathetic but their age is mostly in their heads. Yes and only 50!! And one guy saying that is in pretty good shape and health. Another old friend haven't seen in a long while and has a few years on them has a big beer gut he didn't have only 3 years ago and sits like an old man. Yet he has an active job. I actually wondered last week in another thread if he could close a captain of crush 2 or 3 without training as all he's done for last 30 years is lifting and carrying really really heavy archive boxes all day, but he also decided he is now old, so not sure about that #3 close now he's decided that.

This is depressing stuff. Really depressing.

Don't go down their route, it smells of defeat, what next waiting to die? Some things we aren't going to improve, some things we need to maintain, but there's also plenty of stuff we can improve if we bust our azz, even if not beat some glory day of the past we can do better than where we are now

Anyway... You're not paying me for this long motivation speech (waffle), so STFU with your defeatism - and get back in that gym

Good post Tom, if you asked me to go on an adventure I’d say no too, but not cause I don’t want to be active and challenge myself. I don’t care about adventures, I care about lifting and training.

Doctors and people around you will start saying “your older now, blah blah” can’t listen to that chit. I made the mistake of starting to tread lightly approaching age 40, it’s a good thing I was pretty young when I learned that mistake.
    Authentic Knights Swing Heavy Steel and Have Hands and Wrists of Steel!

Anti-Traditional Programs, Student of Instinct Training

"The Muscle Feeds Itself"- LWW

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thank you for your comments. I'm not talking about "defeatism". Rather I lean towards reality, acceptance, adapting. Just three plus years ago I couldn't even raise a toothbrush to my mouth. Yesterday I did three sets of leg presses with 617 pounds. (I do doubt I will try for more, my knees are starting to protest.)

There's a little "risk / reward" analysis in everything I do. While I believe free weight training to be the better option I stick with the old man stationary machines and ... have been injury free for three plus years now.

I do thank you and appreciate everything you said but there is a difference between being in one's fifties and being ... 77