the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 182 :: What Are The Symptoms And Treatments For Post-Competition Blues?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Are The Symptoms And Treatments For Post-Competition Blues?

For the week of: December 17th - December 23rd
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following a competition your body begins to naturally drift away from that "perfect physique," which one cannot maintain forever.

What are the symptoms and treatments for post-competition blues?

Who is likely to get this type of depression?

BONUS QUESTION: Have you ever had post competition blues? If so, how long did it last and how did you deal with it?

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UCIMTHEROCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pot competition blues how to deal!

Post competition blues is a real thing I've been there and done that. just like anything else if you go into it with a plan you can deal with not having a body like a greek god 24/7 and realize you must go back to hammering the gym and gain some bodyfat in order to gain real muscle.
    If you have the blues because you lost -- get over it, some of my worst losses have come when I was in the best shape of my life. if I am in better shape than I was last time I've done my job period. if you can't handle losing find another sport. one that that is not judged and the one with the highest score wins. being bummed just get in the way of me being the best I can be for my potential
    Coming off a peak and the mind games of your body changing is a little different.
    I now at 44 look forward to post competition, but for me it's actually what I call off season, when I get in shape I usually do 4 or 5 shows a season. off season I try not to get too fat and keep my protein high but also eat whatever I want for a couple months and back off hard on the cardio. and go to alot off powerlifting moves. that way when I want to peak the increased cardio works fantastic and the less cardio off season helps me grow
    What I realized after being really bummed the first time I came off a peak was that I could dial in my bodyfat anytime I wanted. The longer I kept my calories high and trained hard the better and bigger my body looked. the longer I dieted and tried to stay at 3% bodyfat more than a couple weeks the worse I looked.
    I finally realized that I had to cycle everything I had to grow for awhile and then lean it up and see how it looked and then go back to growing.
    If you are constantly dieting and trying to lose that last bit off fat how does your body ever gain any muscle? a pound of bodyfat is 3500 calories.
    A pound of muscle also takes calories if you do not feed the machine it will never grow.
    I always go into a show with a plan and the plan always includes post contest blues. trust your mind and your body, cycle growing with peaking and it will all start to make sense and you won't be so bummed about gaining some fat.
    If you truly got your bodyfat low for a show and trained hard expect a good anabolic rebound when you start feeding your body well again. I usually jump a good 5 to 10 pounds the first two weeks off a show and that's a good thing! and keeps me from the post contest blues

Markus6145 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Competition Depression

Post competition blues is a serious issue. Most people go into their first competition not even being aware of it. Sadly the competitor that goes into a physique competition blind to it will most likely get so twisted afterwards that their first taste of the "stage" will be ruined.

The symptoms are obvious and I'm sure anyone who has competed has had the following thoughts. We train/prepare for months and going through the process the anxiety/excitement gets us through both the good and bad times. Throughout the preparation, one builds this great anticipation for what it will be like. In addition, one see's themselves going through a transformation that few will ever experience. Point is, for months one see's better and better in themselves. The day of the competition arrives, and regardless of the outcome, at the end of the day, IT'S OVER! The next day you wake up, and that first meal or your morning cardio session is not a "must" anymore. All of a sudden you don't have a "deadline" and a plan to get there.

The person who is most likely to experience this is more often than not, the first timer. In addition, it may be the competitor who instead of using their ?passion? to go through the process mistakenly uses "obsession". They turn their lives upside down in preparation for this event. However when it's all over, they've screwed up all the big things in life that go a lot further than the stage (like a relationship or their job). So now all of a sudden after months of preparing, they no longer have a competition to strive for as well as they may have neglected other aspects or people in their life and now they are really experiencing self doubt/regret. The way to go through bodybuilding is NOT to be ?outcome based?. There are too many uncontrollable variables to judge your whole opinion of the event on. Instead the better option is to be ?process based?. Enjoy that process that you go through, which includes: training, cardio, cooking, eating, posing, and the biggest is just seeing one change their physique! When you master this, the outcome does not matter, because you?ve already succeeded and you will not fall into a ?post competition state of depression?.

The second symptom would be one that I personally had an experience with in that we try to KEEP that competition look afterwards, or more so, we DON'T WANT TO LET IT GO. The Monday after a show, you decide after a weekend of pigging out to get back to that "pre contest" diet you were on 1 week out from the show (dumbest thing ever really). People fail to realize that though it yields some of the best conditioning ever, how negative the whole process is on the body after a long period of time. The reason it is unrealistic to maintain the look all the time is because it's not ideal/practical for the human body to maintain. One's adrenals and hormones are working double overtime for those months but after a while nobody's body can keep doing it. At some point, there is burn out.

I fell victim to looking in the mirror afterwards and judging myself based on how I looked a week or two ago on stage. I would tell myself to get back to eating the way I was leading up to the show, but would be so burned out after 2-3 successful days of eating back on the contest diet, that one night I'd just lose it and binge until I'd nearly want to cry my insides were hurting so bad. So now, instead of just being balanced I had put myself on the COMPLETE other end of the spectrum. I now looked fat/bloated and puffy which is twice as bad as I was before I decided to lose control and went all out eating. Had I just found balance and stuck to it, my body would have settled down at a nice point. However when you do it the wrong way, the cycle just keeps going and going and if one does not find peace of mind or balance it could lead to a serious eating disorder!

After several shows I don't claim to have ALL the answers, but I think I've put together a few decent ways to avoid this mind boggling issue...

1. As you go through your prep, be excited to compete, that's great. However, don't get so obsessed that you lose sight of reality. Remember it?s ?process based? NOT ?outcome based?.

2. Start preparing yourself ahead of time to ACCEPT that afterwards that razor sharp physique will slowly disappear but at the same time your body will be thanking you for the break your giving it (after all, offseason if done correctly is where one makes their gains and changes their physique for the next time they compete - NOT on a pre contest calorie deficit diet).

3. Have a game plan of how you?re going to handle the first few days afterwards as well as when you get back to training. Have areas of concern to work on & envision those lagging muscle parts being better down the road.

4. Be prepared to take at least 1 week off from everything after the show. (I know there are those people out there who read that and will say "Oh I can't do nothing!"... trust me, you'll live. Your body will get a chance to calm down after all the stress/demands you've been placing on it. Hormone levels will balance out and odds are when you do return to training you'll feel better than ever!)

5. If your competition is on a Saturday, enjoy that evening, Sunday and at most Monday totally off your diet. If you want that pizza, ice cream, cake, few drinks go ahead. Consider taking your significant other and/or kids out to that dinner that you were not able to have with them for the last few months. After that, be ready to let that phase be done (though if you?re like me... you'll be so sick of those foods after a few days, you won't have a hard time walking away).

6. After enjoying for a few short days, start getting back to the staple foods you use year round. Obviously one needs to slowly start bringing up their daily caloric intake. My advice that seems to work is start your first week by adding 200 calories more per day from where you left off at the end of your pre contest diet (EX: if you were eating 1900 calories before your show, get right back to 2100 calories a day for that first week).

7. Monitor your weight 1-2 times per week as well as be a tough judge in the mirror. Each week if you haven't gained more than a pound (may be a few more in the beginning as your body calms down and settles at a more realistic weight.) Next, add 100 more calories each week until you notice too aggressive of weight gain on the scale or you see too much fat gain in the mirror.

8. Allow yourself 1-2 cheat meals each week. I think one can do too much damage with an entire day, when they are already eating offseason calories throughout the week, so keep it to a "cheat meal".

9. Have fun with your eating. Don't be as obsessive. Get enough; not too much and not too little. Try to pick the right types of foods at the right times. Enjoy knowing that you are fueling your body to be its best. Let your passion for the sport get you through each day, not your obsession.

10. Listen to your body. If a food doesn't work well for you, find one that does. Like what you eat, like training and most of all, thank/spend time with the ones who supported you throughout your competition journey because without them, you may have not made it through!

If one takes all of the above information to heart and applies them correctly, you will be successful in not having a run in with the post competition blues and enjoy being a physique competitor.

wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wheels30 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    wow...this pretty much sums me up to a t after my comp...i was very depressed...felt like i was so driven and focused on the day of the show that once it was over i was lost...i couldent like decide if i wanted to try and stay and look exactly how i was, but soon found it was almost impossible, then id find myself binging then feeling depressed about that...pretty much felt like i was between a rock and a hard place...after about a month got my head strait and realized i cant look that way year round and got back on a good diet and uped my cals while trying to stay lean...feeling great!...1-2 cheat meals a week def helps!!!

JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JaNiZaRy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great topic and reply by Mark

weightmaster98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weightmaster98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weightmaster98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weightmaster98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weightmaster98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) weightmaster98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    VIT B6 is a natural and effective way to reduce excess water weight without any harmful effects and without going into dehydration and cramping from taking water pills.