slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Alternative to Squats for bad knee

Hi all,

I'll explain the title a bit better.

Basically about a year ago, I twisted my knee. I heard a pop when I was playing soccer. I was running forward and then went to put my leg in front of the ball and turned my body counter-clockwise to drag it back and put all my body weight on it so the pressure was pointed inwards.

Now I can run and cycle and I can twist my body no problem. The only problem is when I full squat (just naturally, no weights) I feel pressure in the knee. If I try to do squat exercises with weights I get a slight discomfort in the knee.

I have heard that a Smith Machine could be the answer as it allows more of a box form but is this a good idea? Should I give up on the idea of doing squats altogether?

paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    possible ACL or meniscus. You might see a doc to make sure the ACL is still tight. I think ACL injuries are typically painful. Such as laying on the ground in the fetal position painful.

Re. squatting, a half-squat is probably more meniscus friendly, assuming that is the issue. Deep squats are for people with healthy meniscus.

slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10) slimbimjim is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'll do some half squats but perhaps see a doctor to get a scan or something.

I'm assuming a meniscus problem. (in my unqualified opinion!)

1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 1969mustang has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I've talked to many doctors and know a ton about knees(after experiences a terrible knee injury myself) Sounds like meniscus as said above. Most likely not an ACL tear because you have little stability when your ACL has been torn so you would not be able to twist and cut comfortably. my suggestion is go to get an MRI just incase but by the sounds of it, youve only torn your meniscus, but it could be many other things. One of those being uneven muscle distribution, that means most likely since your a soccer player, your quads are to strong for your hamstrings and it pulls your knee out of its proper position. But as said go see a doctor and go from there, dont mess around when it comes to joints.

Oh and to the above poster, i tore my ACL in half stretch out both my LCL and MCL and tore my meniscus and was not in much pain, I was just angry and **** cuz i knee i did something bad.. Rehab was the bad part
    Last edited by 1969mustang; 12-12-2008 at 10:12 AM.

nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10) nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10) nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10) nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10) nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10) nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10) nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10) nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10) nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10) nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10) nategi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by slimbimjim View Post
    Hi all,

I'll explain the title a bit better.

Basically about a year ago, I twisted my knee. I heard a pop when I was playing soccer. I was running forward and then went to put my leg in front of the ball and turned my body counter-clockwise to drag it back and put all my body weight on it so the pressure was pointed inwards.

Now I can run and cycle and I can twist my body no problem. The only problem is when I full squat (just naturally, no weights) I feel pressure in the knee. If I try to do squat exercises with weights I get a slight discomfort in the knee.

I have heard that a Smith Machine could be the answer as it allows more of a box form but is this a good idea? Should I give up on the idea of doing squats altogether?
    Definitely see a doctor, any time there is a pop in your knee, it's worth getting checked out, a meniscus repair or removal is really not a big deal, it'll take 6 weeks to recover if they repair it.

Cheers guys!