LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Long distance running and cutting/bulking

I ran in my first 5K today and came in at 29 minutes flat. I had a good time and would like to run some more. So here is my question: Can I train for future 5K's and still cut and bulk successfully? I have read that long distance running is not good for cutting or bulking because it tends to burn muscle.

Does any cut/bulk and ALSO run long distance? I'm wondering if I can consume simple carbs before/after the run and maybe sip some BCAA's during the run? I want to train for the longer runs, but don't want to burn what little muscle that I have.

My training would only entail runing 3 or 4 miles once or twice a week.
    Currently try to cut down to 10% bodyfat
    1/20/2011 - 205.8 lbs - ~21%

Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    3-4 mile runs you will be fine. I have gone up to 8 miles while cutting. Just make sure you get enough protein in your diet.

Your body does not want to lose muscle. It is not the first thing burnt. Just give it the nutrients it needs to rebuild itself and you will keep it.

Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10) Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10) Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10) Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10) Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10) Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10) Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10) Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10) Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10) Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10) Celladork is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just carb up before your runs. The body won't burn mass for fuel if you properly intake enough calories to burn beforehand. I think its safe to say that regular long distance running in addition to your training allows you to eat a couple extra thousand calories each day to maintain and bulk. Get a lot of fruits and whole grains for breakfast and your pre-running meal along with your usual protein. Just make sure not to go overboard with the simple carbs tho, as they will shock your insulin levels and slow you down in the long run.

LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LSU_MBABrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
    3-4 mile runs you will be fine. I have gone up to 8 miles while cutting. Just make sure you get enough protein in your diet.

Your body does not want to lose muscle. It is not the first thing burnt. Just give it the nutrients it needs to rebuild itself and you will keep it.

I consume plenty of protein spaced out during the day and drink 1 to 1.5 gallons of water per day. I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hurt my lifting before I started doing it more seriously.

Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jim_C is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HogSlayerz View Post
    I consume plenty of protein spaced out during the day and drink 1 to 1.5 gallons of water per day. I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to hurt my lifting before I started doing it more seriously.
    For sure you won't gain muscle as fast but you shouldn't have to worry about losing it. You won't end up looking like a long distance runner unless you want to. Serious runners look the way they do because they want to. They do little to no weight training and do not get much protein in their diet. Muscle is a hindrance to them.

Originally Posted by Celladork View Post
    Just carb up before your runs. The body won't burn mass for fuel if you properly intake enough calories to burn beforehand. I think its safe to say that regular long distance running in addition to your training allows you to eat a couple extra thousand calories each day to maintain and bulk. Get a lot of fruits and whole grains for breakfast and your pre-running meal along with your usual protein. Just make sure not to go overboard with the simple carbs tho, as they will shock your insulin levels and slow you down in the long run.
    I'm wondering how to calculate this. This was the idea I was going for, but I'm not sure how much to consume. I was figuring a few hundred calories of carbs then drink BCAA's during the run. Follow it up with ON whey right when I finish. I figure a strong cardio system should be a big advantage during lifting/gaining.

Originally Posted by HogSlayerz View Post
    I'm wondering how to calculate this. This was the idea I was going for, but I'm not sure how much to consume. I was figuring a few hundred calories of carbs then drink BCAA's during the run. Follow it up with ON whey right when I finish. I figure a strong cardio system should be a big advantage during lifting/gaining.
    If you are only running 3-4 miles you should be fine IMO without taking anything on the run. If your run goes over 40 minutes you might take some energy gels .

Honestly, i am on the warrior diet and eat nothing before or during my runs which can go up to 1-1.5 hours. I have not had muscle loss or any decrease in strength.

If you are only running 3-4 miles you should be fine IMO without taking anything on the run. If your run goes over 40 minutes you might take some energy gels .

Honestly, i am on the warrior diet and eat nothing before or during my runs which can go up to 1-1.5 hours. I have not had muscle loss or any decrease in strength.
    I'll start off with a banana before and whey after and watch my lean body mass carefully.... i'll post up my results....

rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

i'm a distance runner as well. what do you eat after a long run?

Originally Posted by rude boy View Post
    I have been doing 2 scoops of ON whey and a banana. Should I eat a full meal? I eat 6 meals a day, approx 400 calories each during my cut.

Originally Posted by rude boy View Post
    I try to time it so that my main meal comes after I run. So I eat a good 1200 calories an hour or so after running. Then over the net couple hours I eat another 800 or so calories.

Real food like chicken, veggies and bread. I no longer take any supplements.

LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    just make sure you have adequatley fueled up for your training so you spare your glycogen which can be critical to anticatabolism. running or cario in general even is not as catabolic as you might think. if you recover and fuel up properly and adequatley you should be fine. running however may change the muscle fibres and you may lose that "bulk" but in no way would you probably lose actual muscle. but really 5km or 30mins of running isnt huge unless you intend to up your duration or intensity
    behind every great woman...is a man checking out her arse

Chuck Norris can make a woman climax by simply pointing & saying booya

If at first you don't succeed you're not Chuck Norris

When Chuck Norris wants an egg he cracks open a chicken