supermonkey23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supermonkey23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supermonkey23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supermonkey23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Want to buy equipment to do Olympic lifting (bar, bumper plates).

What is a good site? (that lists the shipping price, if there is any). I want something that can hold up to 200lb cleans and 400lb deadlifts, and not break when i drop the weights (therefore, bumper?).

thanks

supermonkey23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supermonkey23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supermonkey23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) supermonkey23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How are these:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00615739000P

I can add weight for the deadlifts later (this set is 300lbs only). But good price + bumper?

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by supermonkey23 View Post
    How are these:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00615739000P

I can add weight for the deadlifts later (this set is 300lbs only). But good price + bumper?
    NO!!!! Those aren't bumper plates and their bar can't be dropped.

Real bumpers and a good bar isn't cheap and this is the cheapest you'll be looking at for both. If you need a better bar you need to go with the package that has the HD bar. I have the HD set. http://store.wfwclub.com/crwesetwiecb.html

Read up on their bars and bumper plate pages and you'll read some good info.

You also need to go and pick up a good book or DVD to learn the lifts. As far as I can tell, you have no clue what you're getting into and you'll hurt yourself if lifts aren't done properly.
    Last edited by HardKore79; 12-06-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.2

Lifetime reps: TheSuccessful1

PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by HardKore79 View Post
    NO!!!! Those aren't bumper plates and their bar can't be dropped.

Real bumpers and a good bar isn't cheap and this is the cheapest you'll be looking at for both. If you need a better bar you need to go with the package that has the HD bar. I have the HD set. http://store.wfwclub.com/crwesetwiecb.html

Read up on their bars and bumper plate pages and you'll read some good info.

You also need to go and pick up a good book or DVD to learn the lifts. As far as I can tell, you have no clue what you're getting into and you'll hurt yourself if lifts aren't done properly.
    Agreed.

Book suggestion? You're right, I'm just learning.. Been doing C&J for the past month now.

I need these because I only lift at college, and when I go home for break (1 month winter, 3 month summer) I need to be able to lift and not remain idle. I've checked gyms here and none feature olympic lifting platforms let alone allow you to do that.

And how much weight is that package come with? Reliable?

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Here is the info: http://store.wfwclub.com/crweset.html
    Hi-Temp bumpers are very reliable.
    I just recieved Olympic Weightlifting by Greg Everett and it seems like a pretty good book.

Crap, I just thought about the height of my basement ceiling. Don't think it's high enough

Guess I'm going to have to stick to college gym when I can....

XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XterX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you can still use bumpers to improve your clean (full and power clean), pulls, and deadlifts. I would recommend investing in a pair of oly shoes if you haven't done so.
    Last edited by XterX; 12-06-2008 at 11:50 PM.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have researched this to death trying to get the best price and best quality.

Glenn Pendlay will have the best deals around.

Take a look at the crossfit packages.

http://store.wfwclub.com/index.html

Wright Rubber has comparable deals.

I own plates from both of these places.

The ones fron Sears and metal plates with a rubber coating. You cant drop them.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    I have researched this to death trying to get the best price and best quality.

Glenn Pendlay will have the best deals around.

Take a look at the crossfit packages.

http://store.wfwclub.com/index.html

Wright Rubber has comparable deals.

I own plates from both of these places.

The ones fron Sears and metal plates with a rubber coating. You cant drop them.
    Originally Posted by supermonkey23 View Post
    Crap, I just thought about the height of my basement ceiling. Don't think it's high enough

Guess I'm going to have to stick to college gym when I can....

captcb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Oly lifts in basement

I am 6'1" and my basement has wooden beams giving me a ceiling height of 8'5". My plan is to put in 1/2 of rubber flooring and I'd like to know what points of measurement should I use to determine if this is high enough for me to safely do the lifts using bumper plates. I'm entirely new, so if there are some lifts I could do so that I don't have to abandon my plans altogether, unless I put a platform in my garage or build one for my backyard, please let me know. If I can do this in my basement, I'll be reaching out to a coach near Philly for proper instruction on form. I'm 36 and don't feel like screwing myself up at this stage of my life. Thanks in advance!

Joe

BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BasRutten is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250) triplechris has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    captcb:
    Don't worry, 8.5 feet is plenty of height for lifting. I'm 6'0" and have less than 8' ceiling (sloping down to 7') so I have to get creative. You shouldn't have a problem. You can also build a platform with slightly thinner plywood sheets. I used 2 layers of 1/2" plywood, plus 3/4" rubber and oak flooring on top.

As a test you can measure where your wrists hit on a wall, then add 9" to that and see how tall it is. Then add another 3" for the platform and that will tell you how much height you'll need.

Personally I have a "convertible" platform on a hinge that I lift up for doing jerks and presses, but honestly I usually just put up the weight and it hits and presses against the ceiling rafters as I stand up. (unfinished ceiling). No problems. Also fyi if a ceilings isn't finished you can put the plates on the bar in such a way that they'll travel between the joists! That's how OLympic champ Tommy Kono trained in his basement in Hawaii...

captcb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    triplechris-
    Tommy Kono was 7 inches shorter, so that might not work for me Thanks for the insight, though. I measured and I'm 87 inches from the floor to the middle of my palm (I figured a little fudge room wouldn't hurt and this was reaching one arm stright up which is longer than I would be with both arms up and out on the bar), so plus the 9 inches that puts me at 96 inches even (8 ft). Plus the three for the platform and an inch for my shoes(again, fudge room) and I still have an inch to spare. I do have some pipes that come down a bit, but they should land in the middle of the bar and therefore should not be in the way. I'll defintely be looking at a Pendlay set for Christmas. Thanks everyone!