Registered User Redeem_Yourself's Avatar
    Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50)

torn labrum, good chest exercise?

so i have a torn labrum and am not going to get it operated until next year... i have too much going on right now... the doctor has allow me to keep working out... i just need a good exercise i can sub for db or bb bench that will allow me to grow...

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would get the surgery as soon as possible. I also had a labrum tear. Specially called a slap tear. I tried working out without the surgery but it just got progressively worse over time. So two January's ago I had arthroscopic surgery to repair it. It took 6 months of rehab to get back full function of my shoulder but it was worth it.

But if you must wait and need to work out here is what I recommend. From what I know each labrum injury is slightly different. You need to test the pain threshold on your individual range of motion for pushing and pulling exercises. Test pushups. Test pullups. Test over head presses. test rows. By common sense...determine what you can and cannot do. The pain will give you a good indication.

No one on here can give you a definitive answer for exercise selection. That will be determined by how your able to manage around the injury. Again, I would get that surgery as soon as possible. Working out with something torn in the shoulder can be a recipe for disaster.

Registered User Redeem_Yourself's Avatar
    Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SquatTilYouDrop View Post
    I would get the surgery as soon as possible. I also had a labrum tear. Specially called a slap tear. I tried working out without the surgery but it just got progressively worse over time. So two January's ago I had arthroscopic surgery to repair it. It took 6 months of rehab to get back full function of my shoulder but it was worth it.

But if you must wait and need to work out here is what I recommend. From what I know each labrum injury is slightly different. You need to test the pain threshold on your individual range of motion for pushing and pulling exercises. Test pushups. Test pullups. Test over head presses. test rows. By common sense...determine what you can and cannot do. The pain will give you a good indication.

No one on here can give you a definitive answer for exercise selection. That will be determined by how your able to manage around the injury. Again, I would get that surgery as soon as possible. Working out with something torn in the shoulder can be a recipe for disaster.
    I can do shoulder presses, I can do pullups and pushups as well.
    I cannot do upright rows without pain.
    I can bench fine, but if i move my shoulders around my shoulder pops a little and it kinda hurts...

any suggestions man?

KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Redeem_Yourself View Post
    so i have a torn labrum and am not going to get it operated until next year... i have too much going on right now... the doctor has allow me to keep working out... i just need a good exercise i can sub for db or bb bench that will allow me to grow...
    I tore my anterior labrum over 2 years ago and after the arthroscopic surgery and the open surgery followed by 6 months rehab its still not 100% (and never will be). Due to the fact I ignored the doctor and still worked out pre op I did a hell of alot more damage (due to the repeat partial dislocations from the torn labrum that shredded the cartilage)...

and yeah 2.5 years later I've only really been able to start hitting the shoulder again properly.

I wouldn't focus on making progress, but maybe maintaining your gains until the surgery?? Because a lot of exercises involve the anterior delt and hitting it hard until your surgery will probably continue to damage it. I'd suggest maybe to lay off the freeweights for shoulder and chest related exercises and hit the machines? You can keep you form spot on for every rep which will help avoid further injury. I've also noticed with my injury reducing the range of motion of the movements slightly helps heaps with avoid the sharp pain I used to get in the lower part of a lot of pressing movements (most of the machines at my gym can be preset for ROM which is helpful). Maybe the cable station for things like cable flys, raises etc...

Anyway.. just some ideas.. I wouldnt hit it too hard until your fully recovered... I know, I wish I didnt :s

larrybo40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Surgery

Hey guys,

I am getting surgery on march 1 for a tear in my labrum. I had. Question about dieting.
    Since I found out about the surgery my diet has been crap. I was wondering what your dieting
    Was
    Pre, and post surgery? Thanks guy!

leect has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by larrybo40 View Post
    Hey guys,

I am getting surgery on march 1 for a tear in my labrum. I had. Question about dieting.
    Since I found out about the surgery my diet has been crap. I was wondering what your dieting
    Was
    Pre, and post surgery? Thanks guy!
    Sup, I'm 7 months after surgery and feeling pretty good. About the diet, I'd focus on eating healthy, lots of antioxidants, as well as try and load up on Omega 3's and multi vitamins until 2 weeks post surgery. I'm no doctor but after research, you want to keep all your nutrient levels at above capacity to help with the healing. I also heard that taking omega 3's help heal and reduce inflammation. My ortho told me that my recovery time was amazing.

I'm no doctor so make sure you ask him if you have any health issues or liver or kidney disabilities. Just stay away from junk food and fast food.

TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100) TakeEverything is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by leect View Post
    Sup, I'm 7 months after surgery and feeling pretty good. About the diet, I'd focus on eating healthy, lots of antioxidants, as well as try and load up on Omega 3's and multi vitamins until 2 weeks post surgery. I'm no doctor but after research, you want to keep all your nutrient levels at above capacity to help with the healing. I also heard that taking omega 3's help heal and reduce inflammation. My ortho told me that my recovery time was amazing.

I'm no doctor so make sure you ask him if you have any health issues or liver or kidney disabilities. Just stay away from junk food and fast food.

Post is 5 yrs old... Pretty sure OP has had surgery and recovered by now....

jjonahj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Labrum (SLAP type 2) surgery

I had Labrum surgery January 10th 2014. Now 12.5 months later I have full mobility but the Shoulder is weak, When I run it starts to pulsate and ache like no one ever felt. I also get shortness of breath. When will it get better. Also is there any information I can get to find the best exercises for this injury

rick942net has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jjonahj View Post
    I had Labrum surgery January 10th 2014. Now 12.5 months later I have full mobility but the Shoulder is weak, When I run it starts to pulsate and ache like no one ever felt. I also get shortness of breath. When will it get better. Also is there any information I can get to find the best exercises for this injury
    There are a number of rotator cuff exercises (the same as done in PT) that develop the shoulder. Some people I have talked to have to perform them regularly or their shoulder is as you have described, others are lucky and don't have to.

When will it get better? I don't mean to brush you off--but everyone has it different. The best advice I can give would be to incorporate attention and regular workouts for your shoulder into your lifestyle.

I am 6 mos out and find that I can do anything like normal (except heavy weights) as long as I workout my should twice a week for 20-30 minutes. If I skip-then I get aches and pains.

mrobin44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rick942net View Post
    There are a number of rotator cuff exercises (the same as done in PT) that develop the shoulder. Some people I have talked to have to perform them regularly or their shoulder is as you have described, others are lucky and don't have to.

When will it get better? I don't mean to brush you off--but everyone has it different. The best advice I can give would be to incorporate attention and regular workouts for your shoulder into your lifestyle.

I am 6 mos out and find that I can do anything like normal (except heavy weights) as long as I workout my should twice a week for 20-30 minutes. If I skip-then I get aches and pains.
    Very true. I'm 7 weeks out from 270 degree fraying/tear that required six anchors. Obviously, the poster above and myself are younger which means we are likely to heal faster. I've learned trying to compare your surgery/outcomes is kind of dumb because every repair has so many complex variables that eventually affect outcome. Take my friend who had 3 anchors put in in June 2013 and plays college baseball, he says he is now fully recovered but just very recently it felt "normal". Best of luck to you sir!

silzen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Labral tears / cartilage loss / joint pain

Anyone dealing with this should take a look at prolotherapy, PRP, or any other form of regenerative medicine. It's fairly new and very promising for those of you wanting to repair cartilage loss, tears, joint pain, etc. without having to undergo surgery

Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kjetil1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Answer the questions in my signature
    Kjetil Larsen
    CPT, CES, NKT
    Owner of Trainingandrehabilitation.com

� Did I answer your injury question? Please supply the following info: 1) EXACT spot of pain(s)? (put a mark on a picture); 2) what type of pain is it? (burning, radiative, lightning, aching, jamming up, etc); 3) EXACTLY what movement(s) provocate the same pain? Specifics matter!

� Read my articles - https://treningogrehab.no/category/articles-in-english/

Roback22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Redeem_Yourself View Post
    I would try benching from the rack, placing the safety bars right before your elbows go past 90 degrees to avoid any extreme stress on your shoulder joint. Also incorporating some forearm planks on a stability ball and Bosu ball are a great burn and really help your stabilizing muscles after those presses. Hope you find this helpful and can keep those gains!

kieferbutt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Add in to this old post. I had SLAP tear repair, and biceps tenodesis done on Jan 6th of this year. I have been released from physical therapy, but I am struggling to find a good routine (specifically chest and shoulder workouts) to do that will help me regain strength, but not be too much for me since I am still healing. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

trathbun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The previous post by @kieferbutt was actually by me. I did not realize my buddy was logged into his bodyspace and I was not. Thanks in advance!

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    3 months is a bit early after labrum surgery. What direction did your PT and Orthopedic Surgeon give you? When my son was allowed to start lifting again, the PT and Surgeon had him start with rows and bicep work at high reps (12-15/set) for a few weeks before incorporating presses. When he started on presses he started benching with a broom, then bar, then bar with weights and a 6 board press. Worked on that until he got to 135lbs then started removing boards until he got back down to BP to the chest. So roughly 5-6 months post op. At that point he started doing squats with a SSB for a month or so before incorporating back squats (i.e. bar for warm ups, SSB for heavier weights and work sets), and then doing just back squats once he felt good doing them. Explosive lifting started up about 8 months post op. He was finally done with PT 12 months post op. In summary start very light with high reps and build your way into it as your shoulder allows. Give yourself a good 6-9 months of lifting to get back to where you were pre injury and then go from there.

Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    3 months is a bit early after labrum surgery. What direction did your PT and Orthopedic Surgeon give you? When my son was allowed to start lifting again, the PT and Surgeon had him start with rows and bicep work at high reps (12-15/set) for a few weeks before incorporating presses. When he started on presses he started benching with a broom, then bar, then bar with weights and a 6 board press. Worked on that until he got to 135lbs then started removing boards until he got back down to BP to the chest. So roughly 5-6 months post op. At that point he started doing squats with a SSB for a month or so before incorporating back squats (i.e. bar for warm ups, SSB for heavier weights and work sets), and then doing just back squats once he felt good doing them. Explosive lifting started up about 8 months post op. He was finally done with PT 12 months post op. In summary start very light with high reps and build your way into it as your shoulder allows. Give yourself a good 6-9 months of lifting to get back to where you were pre injury and then go from there.
    I was released from PT 2 weeks ago. They had me doing most of what you mentioned as far as curls, rows, extensions, etc. Right at the end I tested bench with the bar only and it felt ok. PT told me I could do anything with very light weight as long as it didn't hurt me. Last week I did some bench and a few other things, and it felt weird afterwards. It didn't hurt, just felt off. I am assuming it is just discomfort from it still healing and from not doing it for such a long time. The things I have been doing, I haven't been going past 90 degrees, doing very light weighted stuff for higher reps. This week I decided to pump the brakes a bit, and ditched the barbell for dumbbells yesterday. Feeling a little achey today. I am just trying to figure out a good routine to still be able to work my chest. I have been playing chess trying to figure it out. Figure this is a good place for advice. Thank you for your guidance!!!!

Originally Posted by rick942net View Post

What did you do to work your chest and shoulders around 3-4 months post op?

Brent7840 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No surgery for me yet, just weird aching in both shoulders every now and then depending on position I’m in. Was lifting heavy (for me) shoulders and chest for years. Right shoulder hurts when reaching in certain areas when taking a shower, wrestling with my sons, etc. trainer has seen me 3 times hoping I improve but not sure I have. We were trying to avoid orthopedic visit. I took 5 weeks off of upper body then slowly worked it back in with 10-15 lb dumbbells. Then I moved up to 30-40 lb. but the weird pains aren’t going away. Suggestions?

Brent7840 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No surgery for me yet, just weird aching in both shoulders every now and then depending on position I’m in. Was lifting heavy (for me) shoulders and chest for years. Right shoulder hurts when reaching in certain areas when taking a shower, wrestling with my sons, etc. trainer has seen me 3 times hoping I improve but not sure I have. We were trying to avoid orthopedic visit. I took 5 weeks off of upper body then slowly worked it back in with 10-15 lb dumbbells. Then I moved up to 30-40 lb. but the weird pains aren’t going away. Suggestions?

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Get checked out by an Orthopedic Surgeon or Physical Therapist. Determine what your problem really is then you address it. There are a lot of good AC/RC/Scap exercises that are good for tightening the capsul up and providing help for your labrum; "throwers 10" is a collection for baseball pitchers that is good for most folk's that have shoulder issues; do a search. Picking the best ones are where your PT comes in. From measuring your strength and ROM in various positions your PT can select the appropriate exercises to help tighten up (or loosen when you have surgery) your labrum as well as measure your progress.