vol438 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vol438 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vol438 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vol438 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vol438 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vol438 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

home made heavy dumbells

do any of you guys know how i can use 50lb, 80lb, 100lb etc. dumbells, without having to spend $1000 on buying them? i have 2 dumbells that are adjustable, could i put 45lb plates on them? how do you guys use/make heavy dumbells?

i found out that i need to get 16 or 18' dumbell bars, and then put alot of small plates on.
    Last edited by vol438; 11-27-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kursac will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can get 80 pounds on my spin locks with 10 pound plates. my power blocks go up to 95 pounds. the diameter of a 45 pound plate would inter fear with your arm movement. in-fact it sounds like a good way to break your arm
    What other people think of me is none of my business.

need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you can get 12.5" plates, that extra 2.5 adds up nicely.

Standard spinlock is 14", You can get 16" and 18" spinlock handles. Think new york barbell sells them, try a google search.

you can get fixed dumbbell handles off ebay, fairly inexpensive. get the appropriate one, fill it with plates, and make your own gym style DB's
    Last edited by need2eat; 11-28-2008 at 07:27 AM.
    "People are bastard covered bastards, with bastard fillings"

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Question

Originally Posted by vol438 View Post
    do any of you guys know how i can use 50lb, 80lb, 100lb etc. dumbells, without having to spend $1000 on buying them? i have 2 dumbells that are adjustable, could i put 45lb plates on them? how do you guys use/make heavy dumbells?
    Are you looking for standard or Olympic? Have you tried New York Barbells?

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Registered User ira_est_a_donum's Avatar
    ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Kursac View Post
    I can get 80 pounds on my spin locks with 10 pound plates. my power blocks go up to 95 pounds. the diameter of a 45 pound plate would inter fear with your arm movement. in-fact it sounds like a good way to break your arm
    get some olympic db handles 18 inch or 20 inchers online for like 30-40 each or on craigslist for half that if you can find them... and a pair of powerhooks from bb.com to enable them without having to hoist them into place etc... and some good collars..

i use them and load them up as so with olympic plates... i put a 2.5 lbr on each side then a 5 lber on each side... that gives plenty of clearance for your arms and wrists then you can add 10's and or 25 lbers on each side and get them to over 100lbs easy...

2.5 x 2
    5 x 2
    10 x 2
    plus handle weight approx 7lbs or 10 lbs = 45lbs per db

plus 25 lbs x 2 = 95 lbs DBs...not bad..then you can add in another couple of 2.5, 5 or 10 lbrs to get them up to 100 plus lbs...

this set up affords plenty of wrist and arm clearence by adding in the smaller plates first...

the power hooks are kinda essential for this type of set up as hoisting them on and off the knees in and outta place is very awkward with the db handle pointing out and not being flat like a pro style... add in the collars to the ends and its even more wierd... 45 ish lbs and above i use the powerhooks...

this is the cheapest way to go about it...