sarge666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cut weight but don't starve yourself

Hey guys its been years since i've posted but i'm a little concerned about the way some people may be trying to lose weight. You need to keep your calorie count at your BMR (basal metabolic rate)

so please calculate your BMR using the following formula:
    males 66+(6.23 x Wt in pounds)+(12.7 x Ht in inches)+(6.8 x Age)
    example 66+(6.23 x 200)+(12.7 x 72)+(6.8 x 21) = 2370 kcal/dl

Females 655 (4.35 x Wt in pounds)+(4.7 x H in inches)+(4.7 x Age)
    example 655 (4.35 x 120)+(4.7 x 67)+(4.7 x 21) = 1590 kcal/dl
    I LIKE PAIN; CUZ SOMETIMES I FORGET IM HUMAN.

CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10) CommoSoldier is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just to be clear....you are saying that I should eat around 2800 calories a day in order to lose weight along with dieting and exceries? I am 270lbs 74 inches tall and 23 years old...That seems a little high to me...I am currently eating 2300 and I was thinking that was to many. Can you explain your calculation?

Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fozzy13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i am 5'10 and 175lbs how much do i need?

hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hikky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Vancouver1 View Post
    Oh dear god why are you even bothering to calculate it down to every last calorie!
    For an extra 30 mins exercise on top of whatever your doing, as well as eating healthy foods when you are hungry (I mean actually hungry, not bored/craving eating) .. then you will get results. Don't make it harder than it has to be.
    Yeah.. wouldn't want to be too accurate.

My title Wouldnt Fi yoyoyoimdave's Avatar
    yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't feel Pain,
    I don't feel Anything anymore,
    Until My Purpose be realized.
    Within me lies the soul of a gladiator, and the heart of a lion.

jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jack3d_brah9 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by yoyoyoimdave View Post
    thats grand and all but dont forget that it only calculated the number of cals you need if you slept all day, you also have to figure in your activity level, if you tried to sub 500 cals from that number you would be starving haha

kashirat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kashirat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kashirat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kashirat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kashirat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kashirat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    These are not hard, be all end all numbers. They're just a guideline, as all people are different.

I would only use it as a starting point, and just start cutting 100-200 calories each week until you are noticing changes in weight.

The hardest part of it all is keeping track of calories though... Most people guesstimate and assume that they're right, and then wonder why they're not losing.

yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yoyoyoimdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tmyracle11 View Post
    thats grand and all but dont forget that it only calculated the number of cals you need if you slept all day, you also have to figure in your activity level, if you tried to sub 500 cals from that number you would be starving haha
    well thats what you're BMR. its the amount of calories you need when you aren't doing a damn thing
    I don't feel Pain,

GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GForce78NJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    anyone notice you eat more when your not busy? I work 8:30-5:30 M-F and im only hungry whens its coming up on time for me to eat... but on weekends i am always pressured into eating a lot more than i want to/junkier food than usual. Just a little rant anyone feel the same?
    "Fear was what stood between a man and an extraordinary life, and the surest way through it was to stare it down over and over until that gaze became habit." - the Pat Tillman Story

EWC88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EWC88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yoyoyoimdave, I did the calculations on that site you posted and it says for me ( 20yrs old, 6' male) to be taking in 2056.2 calories. Now if thats the intrake I should be taking in when not doing a damn thing, what should I be taking if I'm trying to cut? less then that?

Commosolider- the site from yoyoyoimdave says, 2527.3 calories.

TDK350-go on yoyoyoimdave site and put ur age and ull know.
    PHILLIES!! World Series 2008 baby!

Originally Posted by EWC88 View Post
    yoyoyoimdave, I did the calculations on that site you posted and it says for me ( 20yrs old, 6' male) to be taking in 2056.2 calories. Now if thats the intrake I should be taking in when not doing a damn thing, what should I be taking if I'm trying to cut? less then that?

Commosolider- the site from yoyoyoimdave says, 2527.3 calories.

TDK350-go on yoyoyoimdave site and put ur age and ull know.
    the basics for "cutting" and losing weight is burning more calories than you take in.. that website says for me to take in 1882.2 as my BMR but i dont sit on my butt all day so i usually take in 2200-2300
    I don't feel Pain,

BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleedinBlue will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am only currently taking in around 1700-1900 calories a day (For the past few since I joined here/started my diet) and I am pretty well stuffed all day long.

The difference between now and before I started the diet?

Food choices.

I was probably taking in 2200-2500 daily before, and eating taco bell about twice a week, and meals with fast food french fries two or three times a week.

Right now, since I am eating QUALITY food, I think I would burst if I tried eating 2300 calories.

BTW, the formula calculated my calories to 2330...the website calculated me to 1900 calories at bmr.

I'm going to stick with what I am doing for a few weeks and see what happens. So far (Laughable because it could be water weight, etc.) I have lost about two pounds in four days.
    "Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."

1\*

sarge666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Let me explain why you need to consume at least your BMR.

Your body needs those calories to continue living and producing cells at a normal rate, to regulate your glucose levels in your blood at healthy ranges. Of course if you estimate a 2400 calorie diet and burn 700 calories a day then you can afford to consume 2600+ calories and continue losing weight, my concern was not for people consuming more than their BMR it was for people consuming less than their BMR. I had read several posts of people claiming they were eating 1000 calories a day and I was concerned for their Health.
    Most people don't have a problem consuming the minimum number of calories but when someone is dieting they don’t consider what the negative effect is from not consuming there BMR in calories a day.

Your BMR is a guide line your individual metabolism may be different depending on your muscle mass. The more mass the more calories you will need because muscle burns 5X as much calories. Also you have your daily activity and the thermic effect of your food, protein has a higher thermal effect (15-20%) then carbs and fat (5-10%) so by consuming more protein you burn more calories and Protein also makes you feel full. for most people 10% of the calories they consume are burned this way, with body builders or people on a high protein diet this number is higher and possibly 15-20%. The easiest way to gain weight would be to eat fat because fat is not as filling and it also sends hormones that tells your body to keep eating, also fat is more energy dense containing 9kcal per gram compared to carbs and protein that only have 4kcal per gram.
    Last edited by sarge666; 11-24-2008 at 08:41 AM.
    I LIKE PAIN; CUZ SOMETIMES I FORGET IM HUMAN.

SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50) SocratesTX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Calculators are horribly inaccurate.

Go to a gym and get tested and talk to a trainer and nutritionist.

The OP had the right intentions, just a little misguided on the information.

nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50) nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50) nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50) nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50) nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50) nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50) nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50) nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50) nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50) nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50) nvr2low will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GForce78NJ View Post
    anyone notice you eat more when your not busy? I work 8:30-5:30 M-F and im only hungry whens its coming up on time for me to eat... but on weekends i am always pressured into eating a lot more than i want to/junkier food than usual. Just a little rant anyone feel the same?
    yup, same thing here. i have no problems following my diet during the week, but the weekend is always a challenge.

BigJesusLv has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nvr2low View Post
    yup, same thing here. i have no problems following my diet during the week, but the weekend is always a challenge.
    X2. I prepare my meals at home for work. The hardest thing is on the weekends i love to BBQ and hangout. My diet goes right out the window.

Sarge, (or whoever can help)
    I have been eating around 1800-2000 calories a day.
    I have to force myself to eat this much with the 6 smaller meals a day routine. My BMR is 2044 calories so roughly a 200 cal deficit.
    I have been doing Craig Ballentyne's Turbulance Training and cardio intervals
    per his program in the morning. In the afternoon I do some jiu jitsu approx 1.5 hrs. I do not know how many calories i am burning during the excersizes.
    I donot feel depleted or exhausted after the days over. I feel good.
    I also have lost 10lbs and gained muscle.
    So my ? is should I account for the calories burned during excersize and consume more calories for better results?
    Thanks.

OverMyColdDeadBody ComeTakeThem's Avatar
    ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50) ComeTakeThem will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nvr2low View Post
    lol yeah at work its extremely easy to follow my grazing style of eating however at home its much more difficult sometimes.
    To quit is to fail, to continue to try is to never loose.

jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sarge666 View Post
    I had read several posts of people claiming they were eating 1000 calories a day and I was concerned for their Health.
    Nice sentiment, but welcome the the fat loss section on BB.com, where most people want to lose fat as fast as possible and don't think twice about health consequences.

Check out any thread pertaining to the V-Diet to see it at it's worst.

jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BigJesusLv View Post
    X2. I prepare my meals at home for work. The hardest thing is on the weekends i love to BBQ and hangout. My diet goes right out the window.

Sarge, (or whoever can help)
    I have been eating around 1800-2000 calories a day.
    I have to force myself to eat this much with the 6 smaller meals a day routine. My BMR is 2044 calories so roughly a 200 cal deficit.
    I have been doing Craig Ballentyne's Turbulance Training and cardio intervals
    Thanks.
    Your BMR is only the resting rate - how many calories you would burn if you stayed in bed all day. You have to add an activity factor onto it to get the full number.

Harris Benedict Formula

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

For your activity level, pick moderately active - 1.55, which is ~ 3170 calories a day for maintenance. Knock off 500 for fat loss and you are looking at 2600-2700 calories a day for fat loss.

You are starving yourself.

USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50) USNMA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    with the formula on top it says my bmr is 2027 but most of the online ones including the link above says its a little over 1800...should i just stick with 1800 regardless?

Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Catchol is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sarge666 View Post
    Hey guys its been years since i've posted but i'm a little concerned about the way some people may be trying to lose weight. You need to keep your calorie count at your BMR (basal metabolic rate)
    If you're talking about a long-term diet, then I agree that severe calorie restriction is bad. If you're talking about short "crash diet" cycles, then I wholly disagree.

I go down to 1200 calories for 2 weeks (60% fat, 25% protein, 15% complex carbs), followed by 2-3 days of re-feeding (eating maintenance calories, 40% carb, 40% protein 20% fat) and heavy weight training. This seems to work very well for me, and I don't lose any appreciable mass or strength as the fat comes off. Moreover, countless studies have shown that GH levels are chronically elevated during periods of calorie restriction, and the 2-3 day re-feed seems to help prevent the metabolic slowdown that can occur during severe calorie-restricted diets. I seem to actually gain strength and mass during the re-feed, and I chalk this up to high GH levels and a body that is primed to extract every last gram of nutrient that I can give it.

As long as protein, EFA, vitamin and mineral intake is within a healthy range, and the duration is kept to a reasonable period of time, you can safely drop daily calorie levels very low without risking your health or LBM.
    Last edited by Catchol; 11-24-2008 at 08:40 PM.

AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) AphtaLyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Catchol View Post
    If you're talking about a long-term diet, then I agree that severe calorie restriction is bad. If you're talking about short "crash diet" cycles, then I wholly disagree.

I go down to 1200 calories for 2 weeks (60% fat, 25% protein, 15% complex carbs), followed by 2-3 days of re-feeding (eating maintenance calories, 40% carb, 40% protein 20% fat) and heavy weight training. This seems to work very well for me, and I don't lose any appreciable mass or strength as the fat comes off. Moreover, countless studies have shown that GH levels are chronically elevated during periods of calorie restriction, and the 2-3 day re-feed seems to help prevent the metabolic slowdown that can occur during severe calorie-restricted diets. I seem to actually gain strength and mass during the re-feed, and I chalk this up to high GH levels and a body that is primed to extract every last gram of nutrient that I can give it.

As long as protein, EFA, vitamin and mineral intake is within a healthy range, and the duration is kept to a reasonable period of time, you can safely drop daily calorie levels very low without risking your health or LBM.
    A lot of the evidence you're providing is anecdotal.

That it works for you and you don't lose strength.

I've eaten very little for a week before (studying) and when I went to the gym the next week I had lost a considerable amount of muscle and strength.

So there is my opposing anecdotal evidence.

If it works so well for you... why are you 187lb 18.8% bodyfat? On another thread you said you lose 10lb of fat on each 10 day fast. So in 2 more fasting cycles you should be down to under 10% bodyfat right? Please take some before and after pics. That would be quite an amazing transformation...