GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Looking for good solution for Lat Pulldowns and seated/low Rows

Already set up with a bench and power rack.

If I could get a machine that would let me do lat pulldowns/tri pushdowns, along with rowing excercizes, I think I'd be pretty much set to do 90%+ of what I do at home. Leg extension and curls built into would be a plus, and I sometimes like to use those for warmups/finishers.

Anyone have any advice/experience?

Pulldowns/pushdowns and rowing are the mandatory items I need, and leg extensions/curls wouldn't be bad to have.

Money is flexible.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are lots of lat machines available that have a low row option. I don't think you need one for doing back exercises, unless you are really overweight and can't do pullups. But even then you could get bands for your rack and do assisted pullups.

I just use my lat machine for finishing tris/bis, and sometimes 1-arm cable rows when I'm bored. In reality I don't need it in my gym, could free up some space.

You can get plated loaded seated leg extension/curl machines. There are many brands out there. Lamar, TuffStuff, and Body Solid come to mind.

FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
    Already set up with a bench and power rack.

If I could get a machine that would let me do lat pulldowns/tri pushdowns, along with rowing excercizes, I think I'd be pretty much set to do 90%+ of what I do at home. Leg extension and curls built into would be a plus, and I sometimes like to use those for warmups/finishers.

Anyone have any advice/experience?

Pulldowns/pushdowns and rowing are the mandatory items I need, and leg extensions/curls wouldn't be bad to have.

Money is flexible.
    If you want leg ext/curls too you should look for a multigym type machine,a regular hi/low pulley lat machine won't have that feature.Look on Craigslist for a Body Solid,Parabody,Tuff Stuff,Hoist,Bodycraft,etc.
    "I truly believe that good will outweigh evil,but there won't be peace on earth until the power of love overcomes the love of power" Jimi Hendrix

GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks guys, the problem I saw with most multi-gyms is a tiny amount of weight, but I've found something that might work that let's you load up Olympic plates.

As far as low rows vs pullups, I can get a lot more volume out of low rows, which I sometimes feel like I need. I also feel like I can get more varied angles/grips to let me work different parts of the back better.

I loves some pullups, but I always feel like I worked my back much harder if I did some big volume.

FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000) FERRUM_MAXIMUS is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks guys, the problem I saw with most multi-gyms is a tiny amount of weight, but I've found something that might work that let's you load up Olympic plates.

As far as low rows vs pullups, I can get a lot more volume out of low rows, which I sometimes feel like I need. I also feel like I can get more varied angles/grips to let me work different parts of the back better.

I loves some pullups, but I always feel like I worked my back much harder if I did some big volume.
    If you need more weight then get one of these.
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/7304.html
    A stand alone lat machine will have basically the same stack as a multigym anyway.
    "I truly believe that good will outweigh evil,but there won't be peace on earth until the power of love overcomes the love of power" Jimi Hendrix

Originally Posted by FERRUM_MAXIMUS View Post
    If you need more weight then get one of these.
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/7304.html
    A stand alone lat machine will have basically the same stack as a multigym anyway.
    I saw a "Gold's Gym Platinum Series" at SportsAuthority for $700 with 25% off, that looked to be good for my needs. Built in Smith, all the pullies I could want, storage for plates, etc. I'm going to poke around to look for reviews before I pull any triggers. Seems like that'd give me everything I want without taking up more space, and the bench they throw in has one of those swings on the end to do leg extensions/curls. I'd just replace my current power rack, and bench.

Going to look into it first though. Price seems kinda cheap for everything they're throwing at you...

I saw a "Gold's Gym Platinum Series" at SportsAuthority for $700 with 25% off, that looked to be good for my needs. Built in Smith, all the pullies I could want, storage for plates, etc. I'm going to poke around to look for reviews before I pull any triggers. Seems like that'd give me everything I want without taking up more space, and the bench they throw in has one of those swings on the end to do leg extensions/curls. I'd just replace my current power rack, and bench.

Going to look into it first though. Price seems kinda cheap for everything they're throwing at you...
    Gold's gym is absolute garbage,it's only value is for scrap weight.ANYTHING made by Icon fitness is total junk,here's a list.
    http://www.iconfitness.com/about/brands

Originally Posted by FERRUM_MAXIMUS View Post
    Gold's gym is absolute garbage,it's only value is for scrap weight.ANYTHING made by Icon fitness is total junk,here's a list.
    http://www.iconfitness.com/about/brands
    Thanks. I really appreciate your saving me the money!

need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10) need2eat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Gonna throw a crazy idea at ya but you can do back exercises with dumbbells and a barbell.

FREE SOLUTIONS

ROWS---> You can jam one end of the barbell in a corner or use your imagination and affix, load the other end with weight, use a nylon rope or grab the bar, and do close grip rows. Powerrack ~ pullups/chinups. Use a dumbbell, instead of taking the weight to your side like your cranking a lawn mower, try touching the DB to the center of your torso, its like half of a close grip row.

TRI PUSHDOWNS---> Do skull crushers with a bar, same damn thing, heres the key, dont lower the bar to your forehead, take it above and past your head much like a pullover, this will give you that stretch your familliar with doing cable tri pushdowns. Only difference, you cant select 200lbs and impress your friends with their ignorance, cause it wont happen.

LEG EXTENSIONS/ CURLS---> Sissy squats and stiff legged deadlifts/good mornings....there are many more alternatives here.

Honestly, I dont even care if you can afford a lat/leg ext machine, Im more than confident, you dont need them and you will in no way have an advantage to muscle gain by owning them.
    Last edited by need2eat; 11-23-2008 at 05:33 AM.
    "People are bastard covered bastards, with bastard fillings"