Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50) msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50) msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50) msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50) msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50) msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50) msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50) msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50) msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50) msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50) msdmsd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    It should be against your leg all the way up and all the way down.

But if you're smacking your knees make sure you are moving your hips back to lower the weight, and not just flexing the knees.

Watch the video.
    I've have almost the same problem I almost always "skin" my knees on the way back down but I do move my hips back. I've always attributed it to the fact that I have very long legs and a short torso. Is that a possibility or do I really need to focus on pulling my hips back more?

mcsquared has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Immediately after deadlifting today(I'm still a novice at this lift, only doing 100lbs) I felt a tightness/soreness in my lower back, even during the workout. I'm thinking that I was leaning forward onto my toes when pulling up to my knees/thighs, because when I sat back more onto my heels it felt...better? I'm wearing running shoes(with a squishy heel) so I'm wondering what I could be doing wrong...I'm have a buddy of mine tape my form with a camera next week, so maybe I'll be able to identify the problem then. Thoughts? Thanks!

EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EddieG200 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    THANKS!! that was awesome!

xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) xuerebx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for the videos. Been using them for reference points since last December.
    "Get up, and don't ever give up".

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Immediately after deadlifting today(I'm still a novice at this lift, only doing 100lbs) I felt a tightness/soreness in my lower back, even during the workout. I'm thinking that I was leaning forward onto my toes when pulling up to my knees/thighs, because when I sat back more onto my heels it felt...better? I'm wearing running shoes(with a squishy heel) so I'm wondering what I could be doing wrong...I'm have a buddy of mine tape my form with a camera next week, so maybe I'll be able to identify the problem then. Thoughts? Thanks!
    I bolded what is wrong. A running shoe naturally leans you forward. Your heel is elevated which is what you don't want for a deadlift.

Take your shoes off if you don't have a flat soled shoe, for now. I'd suggest buying some wrestling shoes or Chuck taylor's for deadlifting.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) danklord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    . I doubt a baseball player gave up trying to hit the ball out of the park after 4-5 tries.
    wait ...yea they did?
    facial and body aesthetics coming soon...june 30th, follow me misc i wont let you down.

always pick 5

jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimyd77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    very helpful thread...thanks for the info!
    Do or do not, there is no try.
    -Yoda

The brotological ramifications of this study are mind boggling!
    -Dr. Broseph Brotowski

forgotenaztec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up dead lifts

thanks for the info on dead lifts I never done them , but starting this moday it will be a part of my workout!

^Credentials in the Name^ RCSCSF's Avatar
    RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RCSCSF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Doesn't ROM during and RDL or SLDL depend upon hamstring flexibility?? I can assure you that most people who do SLDL all the way to the floor, which i don't agree with to start, cannot complete this without spinal flexion and breaking the flat back rule. And the difference between RDL and SLDL is minimal if at all.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RCSCSF View Post
    Doesn't ROM during and RDL or SLDL depend upon hamstring flexibility??
    Yes.

Originally Posted by RCSCSF View Post
    I can assure you that most people who do SLDL all the way to the floor, which i don't agree with to start, cannot complete this without spinal flexion and breaking the flat back rule.
    While I disagree, if one cannot do an SLDL due to limited flexibility, RDLs are a great option to increase hamstring extensibility, or once can simply elevate the bar a few inchess.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I bolded what is wrong. A running shoe naturally leans you forward. Your heel is elevated which is what you don't want for a deadlift.

Take your shoes off if you don't have a flat soled shoe, for now. I'd suggest buying some wrestling shoes or Chuck taylor's for deadlifting.
    nooo basketball shoes lean you forward running shoes are for the most part flat and work well for deadlifting or squatting or nethin else you need to do you can lean forward in a running show because it has some elevation towards the front but you need to try to do that,what your talking about are sprinting shoes for like the racing on the track
    proud redpointfitness.com member

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by neverfinished View Post
    nooo basketball shoes lean you forward running shoes are for the most part flat and work well for deadlifting or squatting or nethin else you need to do you can lean forward in a running show because it has some elevation towards the front but you need to try to do that,what your talking about are sprinting shoes for like the racing on the track
    Seriously? I pray to Buddha this was pure sarcasm and you left out some emoticons.

I said Chuck Taylor's, not basketball shoes. Yes I know Chuck T's, I regarded as basketball shoes, but I pinpointed a particular shoe, not a whole style of shoes. Chuck Taylor's are flat soled shoes.

I am not thinking of sprinting shoes. Here are pictures of your basic run of the mill "running shoe".

Oh, there are plenty more available, but I'll stop with 3. To get those pictures I just typed in Adidas Running shoes, and Nike running shoes into google. Running shoes also have softer soles, to provide cushion for your feet and joints. You DO NOT want a soft sole during deadlifts or squats. I have no clue where you got this information from, because no trainer, famous strength coach, bodybuilder, or anybody, advocates to use soft soled running shoes for these exercises.
    Last edited by chazzy1864; 02-18-2009 at 11:42 PM.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBoyAdd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I thought when doing the dead lift you legs had tobend far more then the guy does in the first video. Have I been doing it wrong ?
    My cutting log:
    -----------------------------------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=513460853#post513460853

Originally Posted by BigBoyAdd View Post
    I thought when doing the dead lift you legs had tobend far more then the guy does in the first video. Have I been doing it wrong ?
    Seems you're doing a low hip starting position. I do more like Kikn with my hips high. i am stronger that way. Some will advocate that you MUST start with your hips down low, but you don't HAVE to do anything.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tree_v1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow this will really help my dead lifts. I'v rdl's the whole time and wondering why my weight seemed so low.
    "Go home and tell Mom that you're a man now." - Mark Rippetoe
    Anger,Envy, and Self Hatred is all one needs to stay motivated!

Follow my path to greatness http://blog.bodybuilding.com/Tree_v1...path_unbeaten/

neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neverfinished has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Seriously? I pray to Buddha this was pure sarcasm and you left out some emoticons.

I said Chuck Taylor's, not basketball shoes. Yes I know Chuck T's, I regarded as basketball shoes, but I pinpointed a particular shoe, not a whole style of shoes. Chuck Taylor's are flat soled shoes.

I am not thinking of sprinting shoes. Here are pictures of your basic run of the mill "running shoe".

Oh, there are plenty more available, but I'll stop with 3. To get those pictures I just typed in Adidas Running shoes, and Nike running shoes into google. Running shoes also have softer soles, to provide cushion for your feet and joints. You DO NOT want a soft sole during deadlifts or squats. I have no clue where you got this information from, because no trainer, famous strength coach, bodybuilder, or anybody, advocates to use soft soled running shoes for these exercises.
    they have always worked fine for me but i see what yuo mean now as far as soft soled go but i have one of those running shoes you posted and those do not make me lean forward at all they are quite flat soled i believe i have 2 pairs of basketball shoes tho and both put me on the balls of my feet alot i can see how neither would be good for weightlifting tho cuz one tips you forward and other doesnt give you a strong base so maybeh just get some sneakers for weightlifting if it really bothers you or do it barefoot personally running shoes or basketball shoes have never bothered me on squats n deadlifts
    proud redpointfitness.com member

jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10) jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10) jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10) jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10) jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10) jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10) jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10) jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10) jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10) jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10) jblaisuri is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^^ which one of those shoes would you say has a flat sole??

rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rubin14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great video...very informative. I had alot of questions about my deadlifting form and this answered them all. I use the addidas in the pic to train in and have not experienced any problems with them

x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000)

Bar tearing up the Legs

Hey I was wondering if anyone had advice on keeping the bar from tearing apart my shins and this is not lookin that great. I have tried sweatpants but that doesn't help. IF you have something I would really appreciate it.
    “A lifetime of sacrifice, dedication and eliminating every excuse…that’s what it takes”.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by x Idealist x View Post
    Hey I was wondering if anyone had advice on keeping the bar from tearing apart my shins and this is not lookin that great. I have tried sweatpants but that doesn't help. IF you have something I would really appreciate it.
    Add thick socks or get a bar with softer knurling.

The cut out front of a two liter soda bottle makes a shin guard with negligible thickness but I doubt its necessary. Also, don't dig the bar into your leg, just keep it moving against it.

x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000) x Idealist x is just really nice. (+1000)
    Add thick socks or get a bar with softer knurling.

The cut out front of a two liter soda bottle makes a shin guard with negligible thickness but I doubt its necessary. Also, don't dig the bar into your leg, just keep it moving against it.
    Alright thanks I try not to dig but you know how it is...reps
    “A lifetime of sacrifice, dedication and eliminating every excuse…that’s what it takes”.

csmccabe8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hmm has anyone tried a wide leg stance.. having your hands more in the middle and your feet about 5 inches outside of your shoulders?

is this bad? are there any advantages to it?

sumo deadlift?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 89tiger89 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Great post. I found these videos very helpful. Thanks Kiknskreem

logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by skarotum View Post
    Romanian concentrates more on the hamstrings glutes and lower back and involves little leg drive. Knees stay relatively straight(never locked out) and bend at the hip.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...nDeadlift.html

Regular dead lifts, you bend the knees more( less bend at the waist) and use more quads to drive with the legs.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

The exrx website is an excellent resource.
    It seems to me that exrx is showing (for the BBDL) more hips movement than the original post shows...or is it my idea? Now I am confused..!!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by logotype702; 03-01-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added pic of dl bottom position...

Originally Posted by logotype702 View Post
    It seems to me that exrx is showing (for the BBDL) more hips movement than the original post shows...or is it my idea? Now I am confused..!!
    EXRX is showing a deadlift with the hips low, in the squat position.

Its not the most efficient way to do it and its not the way I'd coach it.

logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) logotype702 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    EXRX is showing a deadlift with the hips low, in the squat position.

Its not the most efficient way to do it and its not the way I'd coach it.
    Thanks for the reply. I am not an expert, and I've been doing the dl with the hips low (as shown in EXRX), next time I'll try it as you coach it.

Thanks again.

mrbbang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'm a huge fan of the deadlift; however, though i breathe properly, i still manage to experience those dreaded weightlifter headaches while i perform them.

i know lifting heavy is the most ideal, but will deadlifting with lighter weights still be an effective workout?

bottom line is, should i still deadlift even if it's not as heavy as i would like it to be? (just to ensure i won't experience those headaches)

justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    =
    this guy's form looks different from the one in the exrx website like this:

i copied the exrx's form when deadlifting it feels like a good movement to me... is it ok too? i feel it a lot more in my quads when doing it like this.

the vid i quoted looks like it works the hams more (kinda like romanian deadlifts)
    Last edited by justanothagirl; 03-05-2009 at 06:43 AM.

Originally Posted by mrbbang View Post
    i'm a huge fan of the deadlift; however, though i breathe properly, i still manage to experience those dreaded weightlifter headaches while i perform them.

i know lifting heavy is the most ideal, but will deadlifting with lighter weights still be an effective workout?

bottom line is, should i still deadlift even if it's not as heavy as i would like it to be? (just to ensure i won't experience those headaches)
    I don't have any knowledge of weightlifter's headaches, but I know there has been some good discussion of that on Mark Rippetoes forum at Strength Mill forums.

Originally Posted by justanothagirl View Post
    this guy's form looks different from the one in the exrx website like this:

i copied the exrx's form when deadlifting it feels like a good movement to me... is it ok too? i feel it a lot more in my quads when doing it like this.

the vid i quoted looks like it works the hams more (kinda like romanian deadlifts)
    See post 86.