Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wulf88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think a big one to add is this.........leave your ego at the door when entering the gym. Do every exercise correctly and focus on the muscle you are working. Do not try and impress people with lifting waaaaay to much weight with ****ty form. Also, it is not only lifting that counts, but your DIET and rest as well. And finally but not least, Rome was not built over night, and niether is your body going to be.
    From the body cast of an injured working dog (finding IEDs) in Afghanistan: TALIBAN TASTES LIKE CHICKEN!

Plato: Only the dead have seen the end of war.

The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gympunk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My advice from the "I'm skinny & non-athletic" starting point:

Don't tell all your friends you're starting to lift, let the results show & then field the question "Wow are y u working out?". Otherwise you get the "How's it going Arnold? Lets see your guns"" comments.

Don't over-train & hurt yourself or get burned out, the first 3 months can be really rewarding when the gains start, but if you drive yourself too hard so that you dread working out, it's useless in the long term. Which also means it's better to be realistic & lift too light rather than too heavy.

*Do supp with protein powder* & snack on deli meat, yogurt, cheese, PB toast etc...Skinny guys NEED alot more quality calories & protein

Psyche yourself up if you like & buy some new kicks, shorts, t-shirts. when I started all I had was raggedy old punk-rock type shorts & Chuck Taylors. I bought some "normal' gym gear just to fit in and be focused. No 'Dead Kennedys' T-Shirt @ Golds for me...

Coffee works wonders when it's 8pm & your on the fence about lifting

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    no matter how many crunches, situps, leg raises etc etc you do if there is a ample layer of fat over your abs you wont see definition there.
    think of a light snow this winter when you look outside, all the sharp edges are softened and rounded, a 1 inch layer of fat will do the same thing to your abs.

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by OutOfStep View Post
    For some reason, guys seem to think they intuitively know how to train. If you wanted to learn to play the piano, you wouldn't just sit there pounding on various keys all day hoping to turn into Mozart. You'd pay a piano teacher to instruct you. If you are just starting out, HIRE A TRAINER, even if only for a month, so that you can learn to do the exercises properly.
    This man speaks the truth. I screwed up a lot of things on my road to training properly, but this is one thing I got right. I shudder to think how I would have ended up if I would have tried winging it on my own.
    There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    *bump*

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hmmmm, what to add?

Bodybuilding is a quest, not everyone responds the same to a specified diet or training method you have to find what works best for you and that takes time through experimenting with different methods.
    Don't think results will come soon, finding what works best for you, consistency and effort put out will be an important tool to achievement.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't go into the gym expecting to do a bunch of bicep curls and just get h00ge biceps. Learn the classic compound barbell moves to gain strength, then use that strength towards your other goals. Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength book is a great place to start.

Darren
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

I'm back, visit my new journal! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=455993991

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gympunk View Post
    Don't tell all your friends you're starting to lift, let the results show & then field the question "Wow are y u working out?". Otherwise you get the "How's it going Arnold? Lets see your guns"" comments.
    I did this one! When one of my buddies out of the blue said "What's up with the guns man?" it felt great.
    There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-

KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KeepItMoving has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What a great thread idea and what a ton of tremendous responses. Mature gymrats are some of my favorite types of people. Pretty much everything I have has already been said, except HONESTY.

Learn how to be truly honest with yourself. Some lifters see themselves as bigger than they really are or harder than they really are. To me, they seem like fools. Others see themselves as smaller or softer than they really are. These folks walk around in a perpetual state of frustration. It sounds simple, but unless you can really see yourself honestly, it's difficult to gauge your progress or set appropriate goals.

Also, be honest to yourself about the effort you're putting forth. Some days, you'll feel like Tarzan and other days like Jane, but if you give your honest best, you've done yourself a credit. Don't rationalize away poor efforts by using exterior factors as excuses because you'll find excuses too easy to come by. At the same time, don't try to kill yourself when your body is telling you it has given its best because that will lead to serious injury or burnout.
    Envy is ignorance. Imitation is suicide.

-----R. W. Emerson

joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000) joestrom2002 is just really nice. (+1000)
    stop whining, I forgot who wrote that and to who ;-)

shawnzy86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A little advice?

So after reading everything above, I'm a at a little bit of a loss. I've been trying for the past year to gain a little big of mass, and sculpt my current state. I don't use a log book, but I do keep use this apps tracker. Here is my current workout wondering if I'm on the right track or not.

Chest

10 reps x 3 sets for the following
    Dumbbell press
    Incline dumbell press
    Chest flies
    Bench press
    Incline press
    Cable cross overs

Olympic lift day 5x5
    Power snatch
    Power clean and jerk
    Shoulder press
    Front squat

Arms
    10 reps x 3 sets
    Barbell curl
    Hammer curl
    Dumbell curl
    Spider curl
    Tricep push down
    Tricep extensions
    Dips

Olympic lift day(same as above)

Back
    Pull ups
    Deadlift
    Bent over barbell row
    Lawn mowers
    Shrugs
    Lat pull downs
    Machine rows

Shoulders
    Arnold press
    Front raise
    Side raise
    Reverse flies
    Military press
    Upward row

Rest day.

I eat enough protein although I will admit I sometimes only have time for a fast food meal, although I make it as "healthy" as possible. But any advice would be helpful.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Plan your work, work your plan, record the results.

Registered User metalprincess94's Avatar
    metalprincess94 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile new to all this

so I know this is an old thread but is like some advice I am a 5ft 2in female who does have a martial arts background however I have been out of training for a few years. recently I switched from an almost stagnant retail job to an extremely physical labor factory job which I love very much. i am somewhat strong for someone my size but most of the people there doubt my ability to do the job since it is alot of heavy lifting. I am seeking advice on a diet and exercise in order to build more muscle and strength to not only make my job easier but to look bigger so the men at my job stop doubting my abilities. I struggle getting muscle definition and most work outs leave me looking about the same thin and untoned. whey protein is out of the question due to lactose intolerance. most of the things I've read online for women building muscle is not the hardcore muscle building I will need to physically strengthen myself enough. i don't care about looking sexy or feminine or keeping my girly figure I'd rather bulk up and unfortunately my body doesn't seem to want to so any advice on a better diet and exercise routine? I have done the job for 2 weeks now and I know I am capable of doing it and very proud of myself for that but building more muscle might help keep my coworkers from laughing and doubting me and being stronger will help me feel more confident that I could do this job into my later years.

gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm a newbie at this, so my comments certainly don't come from real-world bodybuilding experience. But...they are guidelines that I've used for other avenues in life with success, and they can be applied to almost anything you do.

1. Identify your goals. Ask 'why' you want to do this and what goals you want. Want to lose 30lbs? Want to look like Arnold? Whatever it is, find the answer to why you are doing this. As Arnold says, "Have a vision".

2. Develop a plan and follow it. Don't go into this blindly and start 'doing stuff'. It's a sure way to burn out quickly and get nowhere. Do some homework and develop a plan for how to achieve that goal. With all the info available today, developing a solid plan is not difficult.

3. Set intermediate goals with a deadline. Is your end goal to lose 30lbs? Then make a smaller goal first such as losing 10lbs by a certain date. Achieving smaller goals helps keep you motivated to reach for that end goal.

4. Become a student of the game. Knowledge is power. Not saying devote all of your free time to learning about bodybuilding and nutrition, but like any profession the more you know, the better at it you become.

5. Track your progress. Write down your reps/sets/weights in a journal. Take photos once a month, etc. When you see change happening, it's a great motivator.

6. Develop a support system. At some point we all lose motivation, it's how you maintain or regain it that matters. Whether it's friends, family, workout partners, or youtube videos that get you fired up for a workout, find whatever you need to give you that push on days you'd rather say f*** it.

7. Patience is key. As others said, this doesn't happen quickly. This is one sport where results are achieved through consistency rather than raw talent. Keep at it!

8. Enjoy doing it! If you don't enjoy it then none of the above matters and you won't stick with it. Find some way to make it fun. Find a training partner may be the ticket. Most of us get more enjoyment out of doing stuff with others.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    And another rule... don't forget to read the stickies!

(Apologies if that was already said and has got burried in the thread, I did have a good read)

Dozer6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gipper53 View Post
    I'm a newbie at this, so my comments certainly don't come from real-world bodybuilding experience. But...they are guidelines that I've used for other avenues in life with success, and they can be applied to almost anything you do.

1. Identify your goals. Ask 'why' you want to do this and what goals you want. Want to lose 30lbs? Want to look like Arnold? Whatever it is, find the answer to why you are doing this. As Arnold says, "Have a vision".

2. Develop a plan and follow it. Don't go into this blindly and start 'doing stuff'. It's a sure way to burn out quickly and get nowhere. Do some homework and develop a plan for how to achieve that goal. With all the info available today, developing a solid plan is not difficult.

3. Set intermediate goals with a deadline. Is your end goal to lose 30lbs? Then make a smaller goal first such as losing 10lbs by a certain date. Achieving smaller goals helps keep you motivated to reach for that end goal.

4. Become a student of the game. Knowledge is power. Not saying devote all of your free time to learning about bodybuilding and nutrition, but like any profession the more you know, the better at it you become.

5. Track your progress. Write down your reps/sets/weights in a journal. Take photos once a month, etc. When you see change happening, it's a great motivator.

6. Develop a support system. At some point we all lose motivation, it's how you maintain or regain it that matters. Whether it's friends, family, workout partners, or youtube videos that get you fired up for a workout, find whatever you need to give you that push on days you'd rather say f*** it.

7. Patience is key. As others said, this doesn't happen quickly. This is one sport where results are achieved through consistency rather than raw talent. Keep at it!

8. Enjoy doing it! If you don't enjoy it then none of the above matters and you won't stick with it. Find some way to make it fun. Find a training partner may be the ticket. Most of us get more enjoyment out of doing stuff with others.
    Well said!
    Current: mid-late 40's 205-210lbs 6ft tall
    Bench: 315lbs 3-4reps
    Squat: 315lbs 3-4reps
    Deadlift: 385lbs 5-6reps
    Life Time Best: mid 20's 175-180lbs 6ft tall
    Bench: 385lbs 3-4reps
    Squat: 495lbs 6-8reps
    Deadlift: 600lbs 5-6reps

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    check out one of my older posts for ideas:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=172757011

Registered User TheFuarkingBoss's Avatar
    TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Mine is stop killing myself.

When I first started I would do sets and sets to failure, train 6 days a week, pound tons of calories, loads of meat and protein etc.

Yes I got bigger but I was bloated got fat didn't really gain the strength I wanted, neglected stretching and got tight and impinged, got tendonitis, was tired and wasn't feeling healthy etc.

Now I am leaner, eat more fruit and veg, have cut right back on meat and aiming to get tons of protein in. I listen to my body, stretch more, only really gym 4-5 times a week, and I feel great.
    Brah

MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10) MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10) MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10) MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10) MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10) MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10) MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10) MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10) MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10) MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10) MCDougalthe3rd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TheFuarkingBoss View Post
    Mine is stop killing myself.

When I first started I would do sets and sets to failure, train 6 days a week, pound tons of calories, loads of meat and protein etc.

Yes I got bigger but I was bloated got fat didn't really gain the strength I wanted, neglected stretching and got tight and impinged, got tendonitis, was tired and wasn't feeling healthy etc.

Now I am leaner, eat more fruit and veg, have cut right back on meat and aiming to get tons of protein in. I listen to my body, stretch more, only really gym 4-5 times a week, and I feel great.
    I'm still a novice in experience although I've been quite pleased with my progress and definitely had decent size and strength but I have too much fat so it doesn't look that good overall . So I have been trying to cut for the couple of weeks but I find it quite dispiriting and unenjoyable to lift weights whilst hungry lol or at least when I don't feel like I have much power (sugar and fat power ?? ) . Before I would eat a lot and when in the gym I'd have a lot of energy and loved it but like I said I was just bulking and making gains but they were too hidden beneath fat . So now I'm walking mostly ( several hours a day ) plus some pushups and a few weight exercises at home with a heavy bag . I feel like if I want to lift properly then I need calories . How do you guys maintain a program whilst on a calorie defecit ? I find it to demoralising and lighter exercises are much more appealing
    I don't mind too much atm because I would sacrifice some gains for being a lot leaner . I weigh 225 and have decent muscle size I think , relative to the man on the street anyway but in the future is this a viable strategy to bulk in the gym and then cut outside of the gym or am I just going to be 1 step forward 1 step back ? I don't currently nor want to take any supplements
    Last edited by MCDougalthe3rd; 05-06-2018 at 02:53 AM.