Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Alcohol as a cheat meal?

i am a very restrictive person when it comes to my diet, i count every macro in my system. But much like everyone else i like to live a little. I am currently on a cutting diet trying to hit the 9-11 bf% by summer.

My question is, I am very good at resisting cheat meals, could alcohol (even though worthless from a nutritional standpoint) be factored in as a cheat meal every 2-3 weeks

i figured 4-6 shots, so basically anywhere from 200-350 cals of hard alcohol would suffice

Before I drink I have a protein shake and a multivitamin to ensure im not destroying that much.....

anyone else considered this?
    Last edited by Tussmann57; 01-17-2007 at 10:56 AM.

10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000)
    lmao..i guess so
    Chew Crew
    MFC

jtigga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Because the alcohol is metabolized by the liver, the alcohol is not converted directly into body fat.

When alcohol is in your system, your body will simply convert more of the food
    you normally eat into body fat. Regardless of whether the calories come from food or drinks, if you consume more calories than your body needs, the excess will be stored as fat. Since most people usually consume their alcohol in addition to food instead of as a substitute for it, the accumulation of body fat is usually the result.

~from Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle

Avaneesh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Avaneesh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Avaneesh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Avaneesh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Avaneesh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Avaneesh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Avaneesh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well from my experience Alcohol is no meal...unless there is cheese with it...heheh...

However, the basis for a cheat meal, is something that breaks the horribly monotonous diet that we gym-goers put ourselves through 6-7 days a week.

So, if have a couple of shots on Saturday ....provided you eat clean..for the remainder of the week ..should not be a major issue.

Remember: A diet is what you do every day and not what you do once in a while.

Hope this helps.
    If is does not kill you, it only makes you stronger - Bruce Wayne.

newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) newlybalanced has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Drinking evryonce in a while isn't going to do to much damage especially if you say that you will do it in moderation.

Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tussmann57 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jtigga View Post
    Because the alcohol is metabolized by the liver, the alcohol is not converted directly into body fat.

When alcohol is in your system, your body will simply convert more of the food
    you normally eat into body fat. Regardless of whether the calories come from food or drinks, if you consume more calories than your body needs, the excess will be stored as fat. Since most people usually consume their alcohol in addition to food instead of as a substitute for it, the accumulation of body fat is usually the result.

~from Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle

so basically if i understood this correclty, you really wont gain fat while drinking unless you chase shots with sugary juice/soda, or go to tacobell and eat a burrito while drunk?

TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Tussmann57 View Post

i figured 4-6 shots, so basically anywhere from 200-350 cals of hard alcohol would suffice
    12oz of regular beer =
    14oz of light beer =
    5oz of wine =
    1 1/2oz of Spirit (80 proof).

All four have 14g of alcohol. If you exclude the sugar in the wine, all have about the same calories.

1 1/2oz (1 shot) is 100 calories for 80 proof and 120 calories for 100 proof.

TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCaptain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chris Aceto writes in his book "The Low Carb Rule & Recipe Book":

Alcohol does not contribute many carbohydrates to the diet.

Hard alcohol such as Gin, Rum, Whiskey, Scotch, Tequila and Vodka do not yield carbohydrates.

However Alcohol is usually burned in the liver at the expense of fat.

Another way of putting it; alcohol impedes the body's maximum ability to burn body fat.
    He does go further into this, i just extracted a few sentences. He indicates drinking hard alcohol once or twice a week would be ok. But, to avoid juices and liqueurs et.c

Future former fat guy lordofchaos's Avatar
    lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    so basically if i understood this correclty, you really wont gain fat while drinking unless you chase shots with sugary juice/soda, or go to tacobell and eat a burrito while drunk?
    I would say it is more you won't get fat as long as you account for those 250-300 calories in your diet someplace. Basically, if you eat 250 cals less and give your body less nutrients for the day, then ingest 250-300 cals of alcohol, your body won't convert the excess calories taken in into fat...
    A diplomat . . . is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

In the beginning was chaos, in the end will be chaos, he who rules chaos rules all

"Don't let your learning lead to knowledge; let your learning lead to action"

The only way to get rid of violence is to ban people

Future former fat guy lordofchaos's Avatar
    lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lordofchaos has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would say it is more you won't get fat as long as you account for those 250-300 calories in your diet someplace. Basically, if you eat 250 cals less and give your body less nutrients for the day, then ingest 250-300 cals of alcohol, your body won't convert the excess calories taken in into fat...
    A diplomat . . . is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

In the beginning was chaos, in the end will be chaos, he who rules chaos rules all

"Don't let your learning lead to knowledge; let your learning lead to action"

The only way to get rid of violence is to ban people

Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    12oz of regular beer =
    14oz of light beer =
    5oz of wine =
    1 1/2oz of Spirit (80 proof).

All four have 14g of alcohol. If you exclude the sugar in the wine, all have about the same calories.

1 1/2oz (1 shot) is 100 calories for 80 proof and 120 calories for 100 proof.
    isnt 1 shot of tequilla or whiskey 50-70 cals....

jtigga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    but i think u also burn more calories when drinking than normal, just cause it seems like u are always walking everywhere or dancing or something. Where people get fat is when they finish drinking and eat at Waffle House or some fatty food place at 3 AM; then all those calories will probably be stored as fat.

bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bignick270 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    oh dear lord, the memories of early morning drunken trips to the Huddle House which is 100x better than Waffle House...im hungry now
    "One Day I will become a pheonix and rise anew from the ashes"

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Exactly! Take straight shots or drink with diet soda and stay away from fast food at the end of the night. Go home and eat something healthy before bed. Also try to drink on a day that you do cardio and not weight training. That way you are just canceling out that cardio session and not harming your muscle building abilities.

Originally Posted by jtigga View Post
    but i think u also burn more calories when drinking than normal, just cause it seems like u are always walking everywhere or dancing or something. Where people get fat is when they finish drinking and eat at Waffle House or some fatty food place at 3 AM; then all those calories will probably be stored as fat.

its got to be about even, alcohol severly lowers your metabolism, thats why all that stuff gets stored as fat

warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i am a very restrictive person when it comes to my diet, i count every macro in my system. But much like everyone else i like to live a little. I am currently on a cutting diet trying to hit the 9-11 bf% by summer.

My question is, I am very good at resisting cheat meals, could alcohol (even though worthless from a nutritional standpoint) be factored in as a cheat meal every 2-3 weeks

Before I drink I have a protein shake and a multivitamin to ensure im not destroying that much.....

ive been cutting for a week and allow myself 1 cheat meal and one day to drink a week. you gotta have some fun some times. also i suggest getting some carbs in before you drink (even tho this will harm your diet a little) cause i tried to drink after have my usual 10 carb dinner last weekend and i felt like **** cause i had no energy. from now on im gonna have my cheat meal and drink on the same day. its gonna be a little detrimental do my progress but im in college damnit and wanna have fun. also my diet the other 6 and 4/5 days in perfect

Originally Posted by warbird00 View Post
    ive been cutting for a week and allow myself 1 cheat meal and one day to drink a week. you gotta have some fun some times. also i suggest getting some carbs in before you drink (even tho this will harm your diet a little) cause i tried to drink after have my usual 10 carb dinner last weekend and i felt like **** cause i had no energy. from now on im gonna have my cheat meal and drink on the same day. its gonna be a little detrimental do my progress but im in college damnit and wanna have fun. also my diet the other 6 and 4/5 days in perfect
    exacly, im not looking to be some ripped 5% bf phyco, or some ronnie coleman type, im just into fitness, but in reality the only reason im into fitness is to get girls and be more secure so when i do go out drinking i can get hooked up

dirtdemon6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you'll be fine. I don't think alcohol is fattening depending on how you drink. For one I usually eat less while drunk and am always walking around or burning calories somehow. Believe it or not I actually lost a lot of weight while drinking every other day at one point in my life. However, this was before I was into fitness, it was probablly unhealthy, but i ate very little.

The downside is that alcohol dehydrates you and also drops your blood sugar.

Im not sure about any of you, but when my blood sugar gets low, its pretty hard to stop me from indulging into fast food at 4am in the morning!

And drinking doesnt exactly make you think with a clear head. Thus your subject to stronger temptations then if you were sober.

isnt 1 shot of tequilla or whiskey 50-70 cals....
    Only if its blended...

If you buy single malt whiskey, then its going to contain 14g of alcohol. If you buy blended whiskey (where they add water to give a smoother taste) it might contain less grams of alcohol thus less calories.

bailorgr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'll preface this by saying that I'm bias against alcohol for personal reasons (alcoholism in my family)...

I'd suggest avoiding alcohol all together... at least for a few years. Not so much for the health reasons (although health is a valid reason). But more so because, according to your stats, you're a minor. Alcohol can be destructive to more than just your liver and fat loss goals. If you're caught in possession you'll be cited as a "Minor In Possession". Why risk it? You'll have plenty of time to kill off brain cells & damage your liver later. That's what college is for.

I'm not saying that the law is fair (you can vote and go to war at 18 but can't drink 'til 21). Still, fair or not, you're taking an unnecessary risk by drinking at your age.

Best Wishes.

Brad-PDX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The downside is that alcohol dehydrates you and also drops your blood sugar.

Im not sure about any of you, but when my blood sugar gets low, its pretty hard to stop me from indulging into fast food at 4am in the morning!

And drinking doesnt exactly make you think with a clear head. Thus your subject to stronger temptations then if you were sober.
    Yeah agree with this assessment. If you are going to do it take in extra water for every drink you have. And think moderation because you can get carried away in the moment and start having more drinks than you planned and increases the probability you will reach for some nasty foods! So you have to keep thinking about what you are doing!

Looking back at this discussion, i sort of have this challenge myself.

I live in south florida where bars and clubs are open till 6am and at the casino they are open 24x7.

All nightlife down here involves alcohol, they even have vendors selling frozen pina colada's on the beach. So its difficult to go out and mingle while staying on Keto or any other diet.

So i wonder how many of you have decided to put a stop to nightlife for 12 weeks until you reach your goals?

Basically train hard, get into great shape, dont cheat or eat out or drink etc. for 12 weeks until you achieve your perfect physique. Then at that point you can celebrate?

Only if its blended...

If you buy single malt whiskey, then its going to contain 14g of alcohol. If you buy blended whiskey (where they add water to give a smoother taste) it might contain less grams of alcohol thus less calories.

anyone know nutrition facts on popov

warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) warbird00 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

dude, i tried to do this
    had my usual dinner (50g protein, 10carbs, 15f)
    then tried to drink and felt like ****
    you gotta get some carbs in you
    i have 1 cheat meal and one drinking night a week which i do at the same time cause i couldnt drink without it

anyone know nutrition facts on popov
    http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/14051.html

yeah but on the main sight it gave me 90 cals per shot, is one fluid oz =1 shot, sorry im an idiot....

scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) scrag will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can always use diet mixers but you still get the alcohol calories and negative hormanal and fat burning effects

Although when I used diet mixers I just dont feel as good, actually I feel not too good at all. It is as if I use sugary it is like they are synergistic with alcohol

freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) freakyone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bacardi and diet cola gets the job done.

I skip cardio about once a week and induldge in what I like to call "BACARDIO" Zero calories...Zero carbs....Yea, I know this is all crap and that the alcohol turns to sugar and also decreases my metabolism but... It makes me feel better knowing that I have just not consumed 1200 calories from the 12pk of nattie light. Not to mention, It keeps me sane.
    Bacardio...they should use it as a commercial.
    Freaky is as Freaky does

Originally Posted by freakyone View Post
    I skip cardio about once a week and induldge in what I like to call "BACARDIO" Zero calories...Zero carbs....Yea, I know this is all crap and that the alcohol turns to sugar and also decreases my metabolism but... It makes me feel better knowing that I have just not consumed 1200 calories from the 12pk of nattie light. Not to mention, It keeps me sane.
    Bacardio...they should use it as a commercial.
    haha.... i like it.....but that has carbs when i looked it up...jack daniels, popov, and grey goose have 0.