the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

Week 176 :: What Are The Most Common Things We Do To Hinder Our Fitness Progress?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of past TOTW articles) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Are The Most Common Everyday Things We Do, Unconsciously, To Hinder Our Fitness Progress?

For the week of: October 22th - October 28th
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We may not often realize it, but unconsciously we may hinder or even hurt our fitness progress on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.

What are the most common everyday things we do, unconsciously, to hinder our fitness progress?

What's the worst everyday thing that one can do which would hinder their progress?

BONUS QUESTION: What have you done that has hindered your progress and have you done anything to make corrections.

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Boozing on the weekends slows progress quite a bit, not so much the 2 or so nights of drinking, but the hangovers that ensue will keep you from eating right (loss of appetite, nausea, craving for junk food) or being able to exercise properly (because of glycogen depletion, dehydration, etc).

Damn liquor for being so much fun.

doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10) doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10) doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10) doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10) doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10) doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10) doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10) doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10) doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10) doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10) doclane is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bad Habits

Most everyone who lifts has had some type of bad habits in their lives at one point or another, whether it was laying around doing nothing, drinking too much, smoking too much, etc. I think when we loose track of what our goals are and start falling back into these bad habits is when we hinder our progress the most. This could be eating too much of those sweets we have restricted ourselves to or giving up a work out day to go to the bars with some friends and waking up the next day too hung over to hit the gym then. It is these bad habits that we have developed self discipline to control in our lives and the second we start letting the control us once more progress just ceases to exist.

jacques3265 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Most common things we do to hinder our fitness progress

Everyday is a battle to maintain our goals; the biggest problem everyone has is nutrition and properly sleep. Every day in our society there is pressures at work, home and family. There's the stress this puts us in, and we may not go for the right meal always but the quick one or the easy one. There is also the time we take to blow off steam which may be drinking, or in some people's cases just lying around and doing nothing. The other problem with today's society is how much we need to get done which Is where sleeping is put on the back burner for some where getting through one job isn't hard enough some have two to make ends meet, and have families which need time too. There are also just sometimes when you need time to relax. All these things can put sleep on the back burner and it is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves which is also the one we seem to forget the most due to our hectic schedules. With those two mentioned I feel the worst things you can do to yourself daily is not taking the "time" to put in good nutrition and sleep, because you spend "time" exercising and working yourself to the bone you need to give you body these things to get the results you want with the "time" you spend out of your own life. Why I say these things is that I see it every day and I do it myself and I see it in the people I work with they will complain about their bodies yet do these things to wreck what they work at. It's just simple things that happen in our hectic lives to mess up such easy and essential things.

King Of Video Reviews History in Effect's Avatar
    History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000) History in Effect is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What are the most common everyday things we do, unconsciously, to hinder our fitness progress?

Eating Habits
    Many people start fitness programs in hopes of losing weight, gaining lean body mass, or other reasons. They train hard, but see little results. The reason lies in them not talking their nutrition serious. It is of great importance to eat 4-6 balanced meals consisting of high protein, moderate carbs, and little fat. If you eat a fatty foods all the time and train hard in the gym, you will see little if any progress in your body. The best bet in continuing your fitness progress is to plan meals in advance and that includes your cheat meals which allow you to enjoy your favorite foods. Having your 4-6 meals scheduled in advance will lessen your temptation to eat fatty foods. Write down everything in a nutrition log and a training log. Motivation is the key. In the words of Skip La Cour,"this is a great time to determine exactly why you will absolutely commit to eating the way you should to build the physique you really want."( Ironman's Ultimate Guide to Bodybuilding Nutrition,10300

Substances
    The substances I am talking about are cigarettes, alcohol, and other illegal substances. Many people overindulge in these activities and fail to realize how it hinders them in the gym. They blame others for their lack of progress when instead they should be looking at themselves. The passion to smoke a cigarette or drink alcohol could turn into an addiction which could prove hard to break. These substances can hinder or slow down your progress. So, remember that the next time you puff or drink. Without these substances, your fitness progress will be a lot smoother.

Transportation
    It amazes me at my college how people take cars to classes when they live within 5 minutes of campuses. You could be walking to classes and getting that fresh natural air. There is no excuse to not walking. Walking is natural and more people should enjoy it instead of getting in their car. I understand how cars give us that freedom, but when class is only 5 minutes away why not just walk or bicycle. Then, when people go to school they take the elevator instead of the stairs. In my opinion, this is just plain lazy. Taking the stairs is great for exercise people.

What's the worst everyday thing that one can do which would hinder their progress?

No Motivation
    The fourth and last problem lies in the lack of motivation. Motivation was mentioned earlier and without being motivated you can not accomplish your goals or make significant progress. People blame money as one reason why they can't make fitness progress. You can always go shoot hoops in your backyard or jog around your block. You just have to be motivated. People say they don't have time, but they have time to do other things. It only take 30 to 60 minutes to have a productive workout. Stop making excuses ladies and gentleman..Get Motivated.

These four thing in my opinion contribute as things that hamper our fitness programs. You have to be motivated to make progress. Motivation will take you to new heights that other people see and want to soar along with you. Your motivation in the gym and hardwork can inspire others to take the high road to success.

BONUS QUESTION: What have you done that has hindered your progress and have you done anything to make corrections.

I use to have problems with eating fatty meals all the time without taking in account what it did to my body. Now, I keep a nutrition log to write down what I eat and try to schedule proportioned meals in advance to avoid overindulging. I have set cheat meals that are planned in advance, so I have less problems maintaining progress. A log will always help you strive for the top.
    Last edited by History in Effect; 10-27-2008 at 10:54 PM.
    Georgia Crew
    >>>>Misc Cologne Crew<<<<
    Sperrys and Polos

lift hard, rock loud TheSovereign's Avatar
    TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheSovereign has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

we are lazy

1) make excuses. After a long day at work its easy to say that one does not have time to go to the gym. the bottom line is that if you're serious about your fitness you have to MAKE TIME for it.

2) lack of effort. getting up at 5 am to run before school or work sucks, but if you train like everyone else how can you expect to be the best that you can be? are you late to class because you played xbox too long? maybe you should get off your butt and walk to class rather than drive.

3) beverages. be it alcohol or soft drinks, beverages can kill one's diet, a few cans of soda per day adds up to a lot of calories that are essentially useless.

4) satisfied too easily. many people (including myself time to time) will finish the workout saying, that was a good day. but in all honesty if you aren't thinking man that sucked than chances are that you didn't work hard enough. if you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got. pushing yourself HARDER than you are used to is what fitness is all about.

5) fast food is fast and easy. along with 1 and 2, our eating habits tend to focus on "grabbing a bite to eat" get it fast and scarf it down. well nothing worthwhile comes easily. its as simple is that. TOTAL dedication to fitness means not settling for what's "good enough" or "healthy" it means daily and hourly attention to your body.

psychology - i believe the #1 new year's resolution every year is to loose weight. (citation needed) however this almost always fails. fad diets are just that, fads, they come and go. People want immediate results because they are afraid of the commitment it might take to better themselves. Heaven forbid they have to actually get off their butt and do something with their lives. A slight (very slight) step up from this is the group of people who "really want to loose their gut" and they are dedicated to their goal however they are not determined enough to comprehend and commit to the requirements of accomplishing such a task.
    BOTTOM LINE: your brain is key. to diet and to exercise. it is ALL in your head. Never settle for less than your best. To find your best or even to improve from where you're at you need to PUSH yourself harder and HARDER. The body is useless without a brain and willpower to drive it.

Every now and then i fall into a slump where i like to rest on my accomplishments. I look around and see hundreds of fat and lazy college kids and know that my fitness level simply embarrasses them. However i have to snap out of it and continue pushing onward. You can solve virtually any fitness problem by three simple corrections:
    1 - Tune out the bulls***. Don't listen to idiots. Develop a knowledge base of your own, test and try things to figure out what works for you.
    2 - Focus on the Basics. Its easy to get caught up in advanced techniques and sport specific training but a strong base makes that training exponentially more effective.
    3 - never settle for anything. Your mother always told you that all that mattered was that you did your best. Well mom, how can i know what my "best" is if i am not constantly pushing myself harder and harder in a search to discover my potential "best?"
    "It always hurts when you go as hard as you can" -Keith Bontrager

"Self destruction is the key" - Tyler Durden

"We like nightmares, they prepare us for the coming reality" - Jordan Vezina

My Journal --> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113090321

SpartanWarriorDescendant Greek_Elite's Avatar
    Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Greek_Elite has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    We may not often realize it, but unconsciously we may hinder or even hurt our fitness progress on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.

I am a firm believer that our mental and psychological states impact our everyday lives and behavior. Think about it, if you are in a bad mood you may not want to hit the weights that day, and if you do, it could be just a mediocre lift, not trying hit a new PR or go for those last few reps. So how do you prevent this from happening? One way is to clear your head of any bullsh*t before you go to the gym. Now everybody has their own way of doing this, some listen to music, some watch an action movie, some meditate; whatever gets you focused and motivated, DO IT!

Another thing that can impact our progress is just general daily behavior. Not getting enough sleep can be very detrimental to your progress, especially if you workout in the morning. Waking up after 4-5 hours of sleep can leave a person groggy, unmotivated, and lacking a good mind-muscle connection, which plays a large physical and psychological role. Even still, afternoon and night lifters need enough rest to get them through the day, AND THEN workout. Of course there are supplements that can help aid with sleep and recovery, but nothing beats a good old-fashioned slumber.

At the gym, not warming up properly can easily affect your workouts and progress, and worst case even leading to an injury. Proper stretching and warm ups are essential to getting the blood flowing and filling your muscles, helping you lift more and harder.

Improper diet I believe is the worst thing that can hinder your progress, even if you do bust your butt in the gym 5x a week. We all see those people in the gym, they are in there Monday-Friday lifting and running, then go party all weekend, drinking and eating everything they stayed away from during the week. There is just no excuse for lifting hard to just go wash the hard work away with a #5 combo, even if it is with a diet soda. Sure we sometimes need a psychological boost every so often, but nobody needs one every weekend and to such an extent.

Even on a daily basis, improper nutrition has numerous negative effects. Eating poorly during the day can make a person sluggish, not to mention malnourished, and obviously impact their lift. Getting enough water in, especially if taking supplements that work best with proper hydration, is another key daily factor. Eating poorly can also have a negative psychological effect, as a person may make themselves feel guilty for cheating, and possibly even second guess why they even bother going to the gym in the first place.

One of my favorite quotes about bodybuilding is "Compliments kill a bodybuilder, criticism makes one." Most people will look at this and think that is ridiculous, but I feel it is very true. Personally, when a friend compliments me it does give me a psychological boost at first, but then I let it affect my day, specifically my diet, and I believe I subconsciously think something like "I worked hard and got this compliment, I can have a little cheat snack."

I am still working on correcting this, but I am getting better. To help me avoid slacking I do something that will make me feel good but not impact my progress. For example I will reward myself by buying something I wanted for a while, maybe even some more protein (it's nearly impossible to have enough on hand), or I will do something fun like see a movie (no popcorn though) or go out with friends but not drink. It basically works to reinforce my belief that I am doing this for a reason and that I can find other reinforcements outside of food.
    "We Spartans are said to be descended from Hercules himself. Taught never to retreat, never to surrender. Taught that death in the battlefield in service to Sparta is the greatest glory he could achieve in his life. Spartans, the finest soldiers the world has ever known." ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!
    ΣΠ

Opiate/Drug Withdrawal Herbal Aid (& for general calmness/stress relief): http://calmsupport.refersion.com/c/fe52
    Ingredients include GABA, Passion Flower, Valerian Root, etc

PM for Bonobos referral

Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Adina has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ***What are the most common everyday things we do, unconsciously, to hinder our fitness progress?

A few days ago, a coworker of mine was walking around taking orders for breakfast. It was about 9:30 when he started taking orders. We open at 8:00. I was the lone person who did not order anything. When he came to my desk, I pointed to my diet, which I have clipped to my board, and said, ?Unless they have something from this list, I?ll pass.?

And here?s the thing, everyone at work had already had breakfast that morning. Every single person.

The unconscious need to not pass up free food prevailed. No one was hungry. There was no need to eat. No one was hungry. But no one stopped to think.

And it?s the little things like this, every day, that hamper us.

Mindless snacking in the break room.

Eating just because it?s there, not because you?re hungry.

Saying yes to dinner with friends without thinking how it will derail your trip to the gym.

Every choice we make during the day has a consequence, and so often it?s those unconscious, spur of the moment decisions, that hurt our fitness goals the most.

***What's the worst everyday thing that one can do which would hinder their progress?

The single worst thing you can do to hinder your own progress is to not make a plan.

I always have a plan, and that?s how I lost 121 pounds. I have already looked at my calendar from now through the holidays. I know that between now and the end of the year, I have over 25 opportunities to eat off plan.

Looking at it like that and planning ahead makes me know I simply cannot miss that many workouts or eat off plan that many times.

If I didn?t make a plan, I would think, ?It?s OK, this only happens once a year,? when in reality ?it? happens over twenty times just in the next few months.

I don?t wait for my health and fitness goals to miraculously fall in to place. I plan every day. I know what I?m going to eat and when I will exercise, and I do not let other things get in my way.

***BONUS QUESTION: What have you done that has hindered your progress and have you done anything to make corrections.

The biggest thing I did along the way to hinder my own progress was to believe that it was someone else?s fault that I was overweight.

I blamed my daddy for leaving.

My mom for keeping honey buns in the house.

My ex for making my unhappy, and my kids for keeping me too busy.

I even blamed random strangers for having better metabolisms than me.

Never once while I was pointing that finger at others did I look at the three folded fingers that were pointing back at me. The same fingers that kept shoveling those honey buns in. Day after day. Year after year.

I finally had to accept responsibility for my own actions. I had to realize that I was grown and responsible for every bite of unhealthy food I put in my mouth and every workout I chose to miss.

I had to decide to rise about my circumstances and become the fit and healthy person I wanted to be.
    If I can do it, anyone can!

Click here to see my visit to the Today Show! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25708021/

May Blaiz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

TOTW: What we do to hinder our fitness progress

We may not often realize it, but unconsciously, we may hinder or even hurt our fitness progress on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.

"The chains of habit are generally too small to be felt until they are too strong to be broken." -- Samuel Johnson

Whether our goal is to lose weight, gain muscle, increase flexibility or improve strength, the focus is on change. As human beings we have the ability to identify our options and then the response-ability to make a choice. The question we need to ask ourselves, then is, is the choice made one that hinders or one that facilitates our fitness progress?

Without bringing into our conscience and becoming aware of what we do on a daily, weekly and monthly basis we cannot move forward and our fitness progress is put to a halt. I am a big believer on the Prochaska & Diclemente's 6 stage model of change. The theory behind this is that change is a process not an outcome. You may move from one stage to another but whether you move forward or take 2 steps back, you are still changing. You may have already read about the Transformational Theory of Change but here is a quick overview:

STAGE ONE: Precontemplation is aka the Ignorance is bliss stage or denial phase. There is no awareness of the unhealthy habit and no readiness to change.
    STAGE TWO: Contemplation is when there is an awareness of the unhealthy habit but still no plan to change and very little time considering alternative options.
    STAGE THREE: Preparation is when we finally make the decision to change and begin to get ready for taking action. Here, an examination of the pros and cons, benefits and disadvantages to making the change occur.
    STAGE FOUR: Action is making the change. Removing or making adjustments to the bad, unhealthy habit.
    STAGE FIVE: Maintenance is about holding on to that healthy change and making it a daily healthy habit.
    STAGE SIX: Relapse / Reaction can occur when certain triggers re-appear (like that Thanksgiving dinner with family or the night out with friends)

As I provide you with some things we may do unconsciously that hinder our fitness progress, consider what stage you are in the process of change:

At home:
    □ Skip breakfast.
    □ Eat too fast.
    □ Get distracted with technology.
    □ Not get enough sleep.
    □ Too much liquor, not enough water.
    □ Inadequate supplementation.

At work:
    □ Sit for long periods.
    □ Too much caffeine or other stimulants.
    □ Snack, snack, snack.

At the gym:
    □ Resist setting up a purposeful workout plan.
    □ Not working out til fatigue.
    □ Not cooling down by stretching or meditating.

In life:
    □ Let negative self talk control our days.
    □ Setting goals without time limits.
    □ Lack or loss of motivation.

Psychologist and behaviour experts say that it takes about 20 to 70 days to change and form a new habit. There is no quick fix and of course, change is never easy. It takes patience, perseverance, discipline and determination. But as we all know, even the well-intentioned people can fall off the health and fitness wagon. (I raise my hand and plead guilty)... But by challenging ourselves to change, forming healthy habits and getting rid of unhealthy ones, we learn more about ourselves, we grow in our knowledge in how to respond to change and begin to develop skills to adapt and transform.

What?s the worst everyday thing that one can do which would hinder their progress?

We read constantly in the newspapers, magazine articles, self help books and bodybuilding.com about ways to eat right, get fit, lose fat, gain muscle. But why is it so hard to achieve fitness progress? Why is it not easy to eat the food we know is good for us? Why is it so hard to keep to our workout plan? You may know the answers to these questions already or you may still be struggling at finding the reasons why. But there is only one reason: Lack of Motivation. Without motivation, there is no desire to change what we know hinders our progress.

Jim Loehr, a sports psychologist and CEO of LGE Performance Systems in Orlando, FL states that those who succeed in achieving a healthy lifestyle create a habit that is seductive enough so their behaviour pulls on them rather than having to push it. Motivation is driven by intrinsic (ie. your motivation to play outdoor soccer is because you love it) and extrinsic values (i.e. you are motivated to work because of the financial rewards). So instead of thinking of making the change as "I have to stop eating bad, and drinking too much? boo!!" Think back to why you wanted progress in your fitness in the first place. To live a long healthy life, enjoy friends and family and have an abundance of love and laughter!

With winter slowly approaching and holiday season festivities already started, my biggest challenge is staying motivated. "I want that turkey with cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie." "I don?t want to workout because my favorite reality show is on." "What's wrong with a couple of glasses of wine on a Saturday night with friends?" It's that constant dialogue between my good and bad side!! Here are some strategies I"m working on to facilitate rather than hinder my progress:

Plan my Work then Work the Plan. I keep the reasons why I want to achieve success in front of my fitness/nutrition log. I try to set goals weekly and keep them in front of me as much as possible to keep from being distracted.

Set Deadlines. This is the difference between a dreamer and one who lives their dreams. By setting a deadline, I force myself to do what needs to get done.

Visualize Success. I"m a visual learner so by visualizing ways to succeed, I end up doing without thinking.

What's motivating me right now are designing dream boards, keeping my favorite quotes posted on my fridge, computer, bag and phone. Instead of meeting the girls for a drink, I suggest to go to the mall to shop and power walk. Instead of sitting on the couch to watch television, I sit on my stability ball for core balance and strengthening when I watch. I try to stay conscious of where I can fit activity into my day. I keep a log book and continue to write in it even if I know I cheated or was "bad" that day. By reviewing this log book regularly, I can monitor my success and discover ways to improve and fine tune my fitness success plan.
    Last edited by May Blaiz; 10-28-2008 at 11:09 PM.
    "Be Aware. Stay Informed. Take Action."

memph1s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Common spoilers of progress

Habit, poor planning, and most of all, taking the easy wrong over the tough right. Specifically, skip breakfast or boil those eggs the night prior; hit the vending machine or the fast food restaraunt instead of making a lunch and taking it to work. Myself, I used to have a difficult time with going to bed to ensure I got enough sleep. I'd rather stay up and watch T.V. or surf the net. It was hard to give up that free time to sleep when all I do is work all day. I have a goal and the right thing is get plenty of sleep.
    The man who goes alone can start today; but he
    who travels with another must wait till that other is ready.

Who are you waiting for?

Registered User nutritionfreak1's Avatar
    nutritionfreak1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nutritionfreak1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nutritionfreak1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lack of patience