Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000) 3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000) 3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000) 3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000) 3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000) 3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000) 3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000) 3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000) 3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000) 3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000) 3rdand43 is just really nice. (+1000)
    My class was pretty insane, no contacts so i went blind the whole time LOL. The conditioning was insane, doesn't help that im in AZ and it's hot as ****.

My calves are sooo tight right now, i loved it. can't wait til tonight.

SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SezerTheGeezer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ajstylesisgod View Post
    when i whent my first mma class i know not spacificly bjj every one rolled but the guys just when easy on you

i had a muay thai background so my stand up was ok to begin wth but the ground game confused the hell out of me

you will pick it up eventualy tho the more you roll the more you learn imo
    lol but what am i supposed to do when rolling if i dont know any moves?
    The GEEZAAAAAAAA

Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SezerTheGeezer View Post
    it will come with time man, remember that black belts r just white belt that didnt quit, sooner or later you will begin to pick things up, be aware of positions, and what submissions or escapes you can do, you will be aware of good and bad posture real fast, and start using your hips correctly, thats when rolling gets fun, and when sweeps get easier...

aslong as your in a good gym, legit you will progress just fine, no matter how out of the water you feel... go to tournaments, seminars, trips that your school will do to brazil ( most schools with linage to brazilian instructors have annual trips to brazil), hell even get private classes once in a while if ur gonna miss a few days or want to drill a move or make your armbars dangerous, nothing better then a black belt to step up your game.

remember the only way to get good is with mat time, the more the better, bjj is awsome man, and hard as hell.
    ADMA Muay Thai gym.

SQUAT(ATG)- 275 (x15)
    DEADLIFT- 445 (x 6 W/CHALK)
    PRESS- 195 (3x5)
    DIPS- bw+55lbs-----3x8
    PULLUPS- bw+70lbs-3x8- MAX 110lbs added so around 305 total weight.

-STOP BEING A "FRIEND" AND FINISH THE DEAL.
    betheseducer.com {meet women,attract women,seduce women}

IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by thailegacy View Post
    it will come with time man, remember that black belts r just white belt that didnt quit, sooner or later you will begin to pick things up, be aware of positions, and what submissions or escapes you can do, you will be aware of good and bad posture real fast, and start using your hips correctly, thats when rolling gets fun, and when sweeps get easier...

aslong as your in a good gym, legit you will progress just fine, no matter how out of the water you feel... go to tournaments, seminars, trips that your school will do to brazil ( most schools with linage to brazilian instructors have annual trips to brazil), hell even get private classes once in a while if ur gonna miss a few days or want to drill a move or make your armbars dangerous, nothing better then a black belt to step up your game.

remember the only way to get good is with mat time, the more the better, bjj is awsome man, and hard as hell.
    You didn't really answer his question. Hes saying if you have no clue what you're doing, then what do you do when it comes roll time? Like just let the guy whip your ass? Obviously not, idk much about rolling, so someone else will have to answer this question.

Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by IRockNikes View Post
    You didn't really answer his question. Hes saying if you have no clue what you're doing, then what do you do when it comes roll time? Like just let the guy whip your ass? Obviously not, idk much about rolling, so someone else will have to answer this question.
    well wtf do you think everyone else did?? your not gonna be a bjj champ in your first day, your gonna get your asskicked for a while, i mean wtf? is like any martial art, its a learning process.. with time it will come...
    ADMA Muay Thai gym.

SQUAT(ATG)- 275 (x15)
    DEADLIFT- 445 (x 6 W/CHALK)
    PRESS- 195 (3x5)
    DIPS- bw+55lbs-----3x8
    PULLUPS- bw+70lbs-3x8- MAX 110lbs added so around 305 total weight.

-STOP BEING A "FRIEND" AND FINISH THE DEAL.
    betheseducer.com {meet women,attract women,seduce women}

Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what am i supposed to wear along with the gi, a shirt under it? shorts?

ahah my gi will be at my second class and i dont really know what to wear to go there and what to wear with the gi

IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IRockNikes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I just got back from my first MMA class. Was really fun. I'd like to say to new people, just relax, and soak up as much info as you can.

dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50) dansta will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    so, ive been thinkin about practicing MA, i'm still a college student and i have never done MA before. Just thought learning something new, when i only got 3 days of classes would be nice. I searched around my Univ, there are some MMA gyms and other more specific MA gyms like Judo, boxing, BJJ. I was thinking maybe i should focus on one MA first and if i like it, try out MMA. I'm still torn between Judo, BJJ, and boxing. I fear that it will take long time to advance in Judo and BJJ, and be stuck with little kids learning simple repetitive routine for a long time during the low belt stage... with boxing i feel like i will need alot of guidance in the beginning, and it feels like most gyms around here are more for sole purposes.

Anyone got tips on chosing what (the size of the gym, MA choice for newbie, and teacher) when you are starting out for the first time?

drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dansta View Post
    . I'm still torn between Judo, BJJ, and boxing. I fear that it will take long time to advance in Judo and BJJ, and be stuck with little kids learning simple repetitive routine for a long time during the low belt stage?
    perhaps with judo, but i found with bjj i progressed fairly quickly, as they advocate live, real time sparring.

go to bjj dude.
    dont be bitchin about somebody not being a mexican while ignoring someone who isnt irish.

Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by thailegacy View Post
    well wtf do you think everyone else did?? your not gonna be a bjj champ in your first day, your gonna get your asskicked for a while, i mean wtf? is like any martial art, its a learning process.. with time it will come...
    what are the actual rules when rolling?

i had my first bjj lesson yesterday and at the end everyone was rolling and i was asked but said no, (there was a couple of other new people who also said no so i didnt look out of place) as i didnt know anything about it. I dont know the rules to it, how you start, are you supposed to make the other person tapout like a proper fight, if you're about to get submitted are you allowed to do absolutely anything to get out of it?

Originally Posted by Lee_5 View Post
    what are the actual rules when rolling?

i had my first bjj lesson yesterday and at the end everyone was rolling and i was asked but said no, (there was a couple of other new people who also said no so i didnt look out of place) as i didnt know anything about it. I dont know the rules to it, how you start, are you supposed to make the other person tapout like a proper fight, if you're about to get submitted are you allowed to do absolutely anything to get out of it?

Here's my advice when rolling: Since you're new, you don't know much. Your partner should help you out when you make mistakes. But say you get put into a submission, you can try to find a way out, but don't get a sudden burst of energy and try with all your force to get out, just tap. Then you will learn what you did wrong to get put in that situation and you will avoid it. Remember learn technique before you try using too much strength. When you roll with bigger guys in your class, and you have sloppy technique you won't do ****. But if your technique is good, you will be able to roll them over w/o a problem. Also, ask for advice. Like after you tap out, I'd ask how I could have avoided that.
    -Miscs from phone 99% of time.

SpyGlue has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm really new to this, never even lifted weights at a gym before...
    What exactly should I bring with me on my first day of class? I think I can get a gi there, but I don't know about anything else.

Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charlie Brown will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SpyGlue View Post
    I'm really new to this, never even lifted weights at a gym before...
    What exactly should I bring with me on my first day of class? I think I can get a gi there, but I don't know about anything else.
    Compression shorts if you got em, no biggie, mouth guard/cup is also optional for your first day.

Basically since its your first class theyre lax about what you need etc.

If you sweat a lot Id def recommend bringing a shirt to wear under your gi. I dont know how people dont wear a shirt underneath. My undershirt soaks up mad sweat and I use it to wipe my face of sweat.

Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Got a question. Do you guys use MMA gloves or boxing gloves for your kickboxing/boxing classes? Also, do you guys use knee and elbow pads when doing kickboxing sparring, and if so, could you direct me to some cheap ones?
    1 Stripe Blue Belt, Gracie Barra BJJ (Reps to BJJ/MMA brahs)

Reps to USMC and other military members, Semper Fi

"If the bar ain't bendin' you're just pretendin."

Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50) Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50) Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50) Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50) Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50) Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50) Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50) Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50) Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50) Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50) Point_Blank will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm doing my first BJJ class Next week on monday. It's an intro class just to see what I'm getting into. So f'ing excited hahaha.
    "after the fight, he can go home, walk to his bedroom, take his shoes off, lie down in his bed, take about 20 or 30 minutes and go **** himself." - BJ Penn

Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What's up MMA brahs! I'm new to everything relating to MMA and fighting, but i'm starting to get interested in it. I've search all around google to find good schools in Jacksonville, Fl. I just need your more experienced opinions on which option I should choose. I want to learn ground work and Muay Thai in both options.
    Option 1:

http://www.jaxbjj.com/

Option 2:

http://www.worldmartialartsjax.com/
    Last edited by Weight_Lifter; 09-23-2009 at 12:56 AM.

denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Weight_Lifter View Post
    What's up MMA brahs! I'm new to everything relating to MMA and fighting, but i'm starting to get interested in it. I've search all around google to find good schools in Jacksonville, Fl. I just need your more experienced opinions on which option I should choose. I want to learn ground work and Muay Thai in both options.
    Option 1:

http://www.jaxbjj.com/

Option 2:

http://www.worldmartialartsjax.com/
    To be honest, I'd lean more towards that Gracie BJJ school. World Martial Arts doesn't look like it teaches anything predominantly well. But I've never been there. That was just me looking at the sites. Why don't you go in and take a trial class from both places? That's what I did. I must've went to 8-10 schools before I made my decision
    "If I was an NBA team I would sign Rudy Gay just so I could trade him and get better." - jross2021

2010 BB.com's Jiu Jitsu team

"Don't cry and quit. You're already in pain. You're already hurt. Get a reward for it"

Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) Weight_Lifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by denny2008 View Post
    To be honest, I'd lean more towards that Gracie BJJ school. World Martial Arts doesn't look like it teaches anything predominantly well. But I've never been there. That was just me looking at the sites. Why don't you go in and take a trial class from both places? That's what I did. I must've went to 8-10 schools before I made my decision
    Yea I think I'm going to do that. The only reason I consider the WMA is because the owner/instructer is best friends with erik paulson, so erik comes and does seminars as well as fighters like Sean Sherk.

denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) denny2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Weight_Lifter View Post
    Yea I think I'm going to do that. The only reason I consider the WMA is because the owner/instructer is best friends with erik paulson, so erik comes and does seminars as well as fighters like Sean Sherk.
    Yeah but those seminars are few and far in between. And usually cost a good amount. I'd be more worried about the day to day teaching than seminars
    "If I was an NBA team I would sign Rudy Gay just so I could trade him and get better." - jross2021

2010 BB.com's Jiu Jitsu team

"Don't cry and quit. You're already in pain. You're already hurt. Get a reward for it"

drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Clean View Post
    Got a question. Do you guys use MMA gloves or boxing gloves for your kickboxing/boxing classes? Also, do you guys use knee and elbow pads when doing kickboxing sparring, and if so, could you direct me to some cheap ones?
    boxing gloves.

dont use knee pads, and we never spar with elbows. theres ways you can spar gently with knees, just use the inside of your thigh.
    dont be bitchin about somebody not being a mexican while ignoring someone who isnt irish.

JResendes is not very helpful. (-500) JResendes is not very helpful. (-500) JResendes is not very helpful. (-500) JResendes is not very helpful. (-500) JResendes is not very helpful. (-500) JResendes is not very helpful. (-500) JResendes is not very helpful. (-500) JResendes is not very helpful. (-500) JResendes is not very helpful. (-500) JResendes is not very helpful. (-500) JResendes is not very helpful. (-500)
    this is really intriguing, and i'm thinking of checking out a few mma gym's in my city

but BB is my first love, and while I'm not huge nor do I want to be I'm at a nice size and would still like a little more mass. I don't want to sacrifice too much of my BB training for anything else

why are people saying it's hard to do both?

is it because size is a hindrance?
    "I don't really believe in God, but GOD, I'm scared to death that there's a God! I swear to God I never meant to spill the beans nor tear the pod!"

Current Supps

Fish Oil
    Creatine Ethyl Ester
    Whey
    Multi
    Intraxcell

doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) doublexl85 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thanks for this thread.. i have my first BJJ lesson tonight cant wait!
    ★♠ Underground Asylum ♠★ ★♠ BMBC ♠★ ★♠ GRACIE JIU JITSU ♠★

Click to Give @ The Child Health Site: http://tinyurl.com/nwq3fo

"victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price"
    - Sun Tzu

"dont tell me the skys the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.."
    - unknown

"My teachers used to say that fighting would take me nowhere. Just last year it took me around the world 3 times."
    - Renzo Gracie

LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SezerTheGeezer View Post
    There is a lot of talk about rolling in this thread, but i think there should be more of a focus on repetitions. This is especially when you first get started. Do reps of whatever your instructor is teaching during class, and when everyone else is wasting there time rolling for an hour, rep some more. I'm not saying never roll, but if you focus more on repetitions you will advance very quickly.
    I have a reputation for punishing people in the cage, and pushing guys in the gym, not for being a forum know it all. sorry.

www.EliteCageFighting.com
    http://10thplanetindy.com/

LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10) LG155 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Clean View Post
    Get a pair of "combat gloves". They are sweet. They have much more padding than mma gloves but they fit like an mma glove so that you can roll and spar(lightly) with them. When i'm sparring someone I only simulate elbows, and i throw knees lightly or simulate them. Pick a partner that looks like they have a lot of control and are very experienced.
    I have a reputation for punishing people in the cage, and pushing guys in the gym, not for being a forum know it all. sorry.

kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by dansta View Post
    I'm still torn between Judo, BJJ, and boxing. I fear that it will take long time to advance in Judo and BJJ, and be stuck with little kids learning simple repetitive routine for a long time during the low belt stage
    Between Judo and BJJ, I'd recommend Judo. Judo share a lot of the same fundamentals as BJJ as far as ground work, in fact in BJJ there are a lot of references towards Judo. The Advantage that Judo has is that you'll learn how to take a fall. Being in a few BJJ schools, I've seen a lot of students take a fall the wrong way and getting the wind knocked out of them.

Originally Posted by kili View Post
    Between Judo and BJJ, I'd recommend Judo. Judo share a lot of the same fundamentals as BJJ as far as ground work, in fact in BJJ there are a lot of references towards Judo. The Advantage that Judo has is that you'll learn how to take a fall. Being in a few BJJ schools, I've seen a lot of students take a fall the wrong way and getting the wind knocked out of them.
    I disagree completely. They do not share the same fundamentals as far as groundwork. I'm not sure what bjj school you went to or what judo school you go to, but you are pretty off. In judo if you get pinned it's counted against you. In bjj you learn various gaurds and fighting from your back as well as top. You also learn takedowns. In judo you learn throws, takedowns, and some submissions(nothing compared to the extent of BJJ). When i went from BJJ to the few judo schools ive checked out, while the fundamentals of throwing was EXCELLENT, it was like devolving as far as ground work.

kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kili has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by LG155 View Post
    I disagree completely. They do not share the same fundamentals as far as groundwork. I'm not sure what bjj school you went to or what judo school you go to, but you are pretty off. In judo if you get pinned it's counted against you. In bjj you learn various gaurds and fighting from your back as well as top. You also learn takedowns. In judo you learn throws, takedowns, and some submissions(nothing compared to the extent of BJJ). When i went from BJJ to the few judo schools ive checked out, while the fundamentals of throwing was EXCELLENT, it was like devolving as far as ground work.
    I respect your prerogative but, my main emphasis was being able to take a fall. Judo teaches that the best.

Originally Posted by kili View Post
    I respect your prerogative but, my main emphasis was being able to take a fall. Judo teaches that the best.
    true

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000) MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000) MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000) MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000) MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000) MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000) MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000) MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000) MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000) MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000) MHannibal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JResendes View Post
    this is really intriguing, and i'm thinking of checking out a few mma gym's in my city

but BB is my first love, and while I'm not huge nor do I want to be I'm at a nice size and would still like a little more mass. I don't want to sacrifice too much of my BB training for anything else

why are people saying it's hard to do both?

is it because size is a hindrance?
    i can imagine that some size will not hinder you but a large amount would. It is also heavily cardio and it would take a lot more to bulk up if you are training mma often, i'm just having an educated guess here btw im sure some1 else will answer aswell
    Exadata DBA

RockingGoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wow!