Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
    Shiverin' since '92 Mr.PissShivers's Avatar
    Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Is training 2-3 times a week enough to make steady progress?
    OLD MOVIE CREW

chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TrashPanda View Post
    Do you honestly expect guys to not wear cups? You'd probably think differently if you had a giant, exposed clit hanging between your legs.

chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000) chucksmanhood is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mr.PissShivers View Post
    yes.

Shiverin' since '92 Mr.PissShivers's Avatar
    Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by chucksmanhood View Post
    yes.

Thanks.

The classes I want to take are available two days a week. There is open gym time on other days, but I don't really know what goes on during that time.
    OLD MOVIE CREW

NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Didn't get a response in the Clinch Chat thread so I'll post this here:

I'd like to ask a question about training in Muay-Thai, Kick boxing, BJJ etc. A little bit more than a year ago I got surgery to fix a broken collarbone suffered from a car accident; a metal plate about 6-8 inches long to screw the two pieces of my collarbone together (it had broken completely in half). I feel mild discomfort when someone applies pressure to it (say when I'm getting a massage)......should I avoid mma training for this reason?

I know grappling would be more likely to agitate that area but how about Muay-Thai or kickboxing? I'd imagine clinching would agitate it as well but all in all I think taking up a striking discipline is a safer bet. Also, I bet it would be awhile before I'm actually sparring as opposed to doing drills.

It'd be awesome if someone with a similar injury could address some of my concerns but I'd appreciate input from anybody.

Thanks.
    **30 tabs open and can't tell which one the sound is coming from crew**
    **Fake Handicap Parking Sticker Crew**
    **Sleeps Naked Crew**

Originally Posted by NephilimRising View Post
    Didn't get a response in the Clinch Chat thread so I'll post this here:

I'd like to ask a question about training in Muay-Thai, Kick boxing, BJJ etc. A little bit more than a year ago I got surgery to fix a broken collarbone suffered from a car accident; a metal plate about 6-8 inches long to screw the two pieces of my collarbone together (it had broken completely in half). I feel mild discomfort when someone applies pressure to it (say when I'm getting a massage)......should I avoid mma training for this reason?

I know grappling would be more likely to agitate that area but how about Muay-Thai or kickboxing? I'd imagine clinching would agitate it as well but all in all I think taking up a striking discipline is a safer bet. Also, I bet it would be awhile before I'm actually sparring as opposed to doing drills.

It'd be awesome if someone with a similar injury could address some of my concerns but I'd appreciate input from anybody.

Thanks.
    You dumb son a bitch. what the ****.

No one here has had your injury before, so we dont know. Just go to class and see what happens, until you do, you dont know.

**** outta here dawg.

Moderatoren has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/advokat-avsloeringen/vil-ha-full-etterforskning-et

in the title it is described.

Washed up skateboarder.. CalebRM's Avatar
    CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CalebRM has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Plan on attending my first BJJ class on monday. Any advice other than what's posted on the first page?

I'm 6'2 and 230lbs and going to get my ass handed to me I already know I'm sure.. My body requires too much oxygen lol.
    6'2

Quit working legs 11/1/2014

dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dyee4613 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I just had my first BJJ class. It was super fun. I just signed up. I have a few newbie questions.

1) I'm only going to be able to go once a week. Is there anything I can do to get better outside of the class? I know there is going to be no substition for mat time but I'd just like to know if there is anything I can do for mental reps to help maximize my benefit in class.
    2) What are 1-2 real simple moves I can work on for basics. I'd love to identify one go to move that I can get into from a larger variety of positions and just work on putting them in that submission. After I get good at one, I'll slowly expand my moves as I get okay at the others.
    3) It was a little unfair because I didn't really prep with water/breakfast prior to going and they didn't tell me we were going to spar for like 30 minutes but I was beyond gassed at the end. What can I do to work on my wrestling stamina? (Obviously I'm going to eat/bring plenty of water next time) but is there any sort of move/exercise I can implement at the gym?

Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dyee4613 View Post
    I just had my first BJJ class. It was super fun. I just signed up. I have a few newbie questions.

1) I'm only going to be able to go once a week. Is there anything I can do to get better outside of the class? I know there is going to be no substition for mat time but I'd just like to know if there is anything I can do for mental reps to help maximize my benefit in class.
    Can you practice movements at home? The first thing I would suggest is to practice basic shrimping (proper ones) and technical stand ups. Eventually you want to add in granby rolls as well.

Outside of that, I suggest DVD's. Personally, I think most of the Ryan Hall ones are awesome. I wouldn't suggest deep half, 50/50, or cross guard but the others would likely be very beneficial. A lot of the other DVD's out there just show sets of moves with are tough for beginners to grasp if they can't put themselves in positions to do them anyway.

Saulo Ribero's BJJ University is a good book to get a set of fundamentals from as well.

2) What are 1-2 real simple moves I can work on for basics. I'd love to identify one go to move that I can get into from a larger variety of positions and just work on putting them in that submission. After I get good at one, I'll slowly expand my moves as I get okay at the others.
    I'd suggest to make sure on working certain fundamentals. From the bottom, focus on basic movements like shrimping and blocking cross face. The #1 thing I find with beginners is they fail to block cross face and lie flat on their back in side control/half guard. Another important concept is keeping your elbows close and not letting your opponent fill the gaps there.

On top, keeping base. Keep hands off the mat in closed guard, etc...

Offensively, I'd recommend have a set of moves to get you back to closed guard. Generally you will spend a lot of time on the bottom. You can then look up moves and practice them. Ie- getting closed guard from half guard, getting closed guard from side control, etc... Then forging moves that get you there. IE - bottom mount to get half guard back and then to closed guard.

It is a great way to build a game. You get to closed guard and have a set of attacks. Eventually you will be able to dominate people from closed guard and start working sweeps and what not which will force you to develop your top game on people. As you progress, you will find more and more people you can control and work whatever elements of your game you want to work on.

3) It was a little unfair because I didn't really prep with water/breakfast prior to going and they didn't tell me we were going to spar for like 30 minutes but I was beyond gassed at the end. What can I do to work on my wrestling stamina? (Obviously I'm going to eat/bring plenty of water next time) but is there any sort of move/exercise I can implement at the gym?
    The first is controlling your breathing and where you expend your energy. I find beginners are wasteful with their resources (energy) and gas quickly. Of course this is reasonable and to be expected given you can not be expected to know when and how to use energy. Cardio is easy to develop. Riding a bike is a good way I find for BJJ. That said, learning when to use what energy you have is more important. If you are pinned down in side control for example, aim to relax and compose yourself. Using your energy generally won't help at that point and is an opportunity to not only recharge but also think through the spot.
    BJJ Brah

persopill is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First, if you're looking for a school and or want to know if there is on in your area....

persopill is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    read this earlier

PeterFerguson2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mr.PissShivers View Post

Well, definitely... but, how much do you intend to train each of those days? I mean if you're doing it alternate days, then you'll have to put in more time each day. Also, you'll have to increase reps each week per day until you're on par with your expectations.

I used to train like 4-5 hours each day when I had time. Can you put in as much time in it on those alternate days?

pfgsports is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Thanks for posting

Thanks for posting this informative post really helpfull for me.

EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pfgsports View Post
    Thanks for posting this informative post really helpfull for me.
    Any time pal.
    Hogan Warrior Taker Bret Y2J

If HE looks like a SHE, it is acceptable.

Small Willy Brah.

InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100) InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100) InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100) InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100) InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100) InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100) InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100) InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100) InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100) InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100) InfiniteCurry is not very well liked. (-100)
    Awesome Post brother!
    Instagram - @shajeely
    Fitness Journal - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176797831

mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000) mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000) mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000) mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000) mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000) mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000) mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000) mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000) mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000) mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000) mark2288 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    BJJ warmup only you brahs would understand

"This guy has no idea of how strong I can be or how fast or how powerful I can be." - GSP

Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Henry2001x is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    about to start up a Muay Thai class.

what should I expect as an absolute beginner? are my shins gonna be f*cked?

mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000) mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000) mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000) mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000) mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000) mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000) mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000) mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000) mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000) mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000) mk2kh is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can u do BJJ etc if ur fat?

EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mk2kh View Post
    Yes, Inbox Deathstroke, he'll give you some useful tips on this exact matter.
    Hogan Warrior Taker Bret Y2J

If HE looks like a SHE, it is acceptable.

Small Willy Brah.

bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigstrongguys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For those in the know, Bradley Martyn has started doing BJJ. You can see him do a strong mans guillotine at the end. Edwin Najmi is a great teacher too.

https://bjjtribes.com/whitebelt-body...st-black-belt/

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mk2kh View Post

Of course. Lol, it’s good exercise. Just do it properly and safely and all that. And don’t eat too much... get in a deficit...

patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A Couple Notes on BJJ

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    Since there seems to be one of these types of questions pretty regularly I figured it might be nice to (hopefully) have a sticky with some first timers suggestions. So, if you have a suggestion or tip for anyone who is considering or going to be training for the first time, or looking for a good school, or have some general workout/conditioning tips post them in here.

Be constructive here - ok.
    Some tips I've posted in the past

**************If you're wanting to train or getting ready to start your first class.**********

- Get a mouth piece. You like you're teeth, right?
    - Get a cup. Unless you enjoy feeling your balls squishing around under someone's knee - pick one up. -
    - If you wear a T-shirt to roll, be sure it's fitted and not all baggy. It sucks to get your arm or foot caught in someone's baggy T-shirt
    - Cut your finger and toe nails....nothing like rolling with someone and looking like you just tried to give a cat a bath in battery acid.
    - Shower before you go.
    - Obviously shower after you go.
    - Listen more than you talk - but don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.
    - Be humble and check your ego at the door.
    - Learn technique before you start trying to use too much muscle.
    - Keep in mind, chances are VERY high you WILL lose the majority of the time you roll....for a while.
    - The bruising will lighten up over time.
    - If you have ANY MA background, keep it too yourself...if you say "well I took (enter MA name here)", people are going to have a higher expectation of you to live up to. IMHO, you're better off coming in and not saying anything.
    - Enjoy the crap out of yourself man....it's probably the most physically challenging sport I've ever done, but it's also the most fun I've ever had.

I like what you're saying. I haven't trained in MMA, but have been doing BJJ for years. However, I don't have a cup and have probably been hit in that area once in 10 years. The problem with a cup is that 1) can't wear them in competition and 2) it creates a fulkram that can really hurt someone if you're attempting arm bars and knee bars.

The main things to take away IMO is that you're going to be the nail for a while. Just keep showing up. Also, don't worry about submissions for a while. Those will fall into place. The saying is "position before submission".