Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500)
    had a few bjj classes and its a whole different game then boxing/mt that i did for a month before that, free rolling is scary as hell i was quite shocked to say the least when i was told i get to spar with some guy that trains for a year, i got my ass handed to me obviously but i did give him hell with a few mount escapes i learned the class before.

did 3 classes so far and cant wait for my 4th, i love learning new moves sadly boxing has a limited tool box, but its still my main martial art, bjj is close 2nd
    EthnicSpirits.com

VODKA and BEYOND...

MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MiKey4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Something I'm curious about, (I'm generally clueless about this stuff)

If you go sparring in MMA style every week, don't you get a lot of black eyes or bruises on your head? What do other people think, eg. does anyone have an office job and people wonder why you are like this all the time?

Or does it just not happen? Like people don't generally punch you in the nose?

I just remember from school if someone got punched in the face, everyone knew it for the next 3 days.

drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MiKey4 View Post

If you go sparring in MMA style every week, don't you get a lot of black eyes or bruises on your head? What do other people think, eg. does anyone have an office job and people wonder why you are like this all the time?

I just remember from school if someone got punched in the face, everyone knew it for the next 3 days.
    thats why you spar with control. people who spaz out and flail at their partners dont tend to last long.
    dont be bitchin about somebody not being a mexican while ignoring someone who isnt irish.

stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500) stasgolbom is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by MiKey4 View Post

who cares? will you get fired for showing up with a black eye to work? then you might want to consider a new hobby or a new work place.
    EthnicSpirits.com

VODKA and BEYOND...

cardiofreakman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cardiofreakman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cardiofreakman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cardiofreakman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cardiofreakman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cardiofreakman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cardiofreakman has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Great points. I definately like the one not to over state your prior MA experience. I teach BJJ and get a lot of new students who claim to know this or that traditional art and sometimes they get a little extra during open mat.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by stasgolbom View Post
    who cares? will you get fired for showing up with a black eye to work? then you might want to consider a new hobby or a new work place.
    Well, at 20 I highly doubt you have a wife and or children to take care of. Those of us who train and have these responsibilities....care.

If you're one who has to worry about what your face looks like, there are different types of head gear you can use. Now Obviously I wouldn't want to use it if you're doing striking AND ground work at the same time or you're going to play hell trying to pull your head out of any choke attempts....but it is available.
    I used to work with a great guy who was in sales. He used to joke that his face was his money maker. He always wore head gear and we worked hard enough to get things down with out beating the crap out of each other. Never stopped him.

Most of your training partners are going to go as hard or soft as you (or they) say to go. If you have a corporate job, most folks will understand. You may take some crap....but when it comes down to it...again, they'll understand.

I've been lucky enough to work in an environment where I am behind the scenes (even when I was in mgmt). I try not to come in all busted up….but a mouse or an eye that’s a little “dark” has never been an issue.

Is this the best sport to pursue if you’re a model or something where you’re constantly seen? Probably not…but I don’t know if I would tell anyone they may need to pick up another hobby because of the contact.
    Last edited by cgc; 03-04-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

kebyt710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is the best post on this topic i have ever read.
    Regards

brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000) brake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    good read

My advice for BJJ would be to never, ever make eye contact.

Joking, I'm starting my first MMA/BJJ class this weekend, good tips in this thread.

I've done a little bit of Muay Thai and the best advice i can give is:

Pace yourself, don't go full speed, especially with pad work. I had an ex-pro boxer friend who came to a class who thought he could go hard out because of his boxing, he ended up vomiting outside. Kicking is alot hard than punching - i'd say go at about 50-60% to start off with

Going hard will also form bad technique/form, Just focus on going at a nice "so so" speed concentrating on good technique, but your punches should still be heavy - EG: A jab, cross, hook combo, rather than throw it out as fast as you can (and not doing it properly) throw each punch slower/more deliberate and separately, still a combo but slower, ensuring every punch is completed and back to your chin before throwing the next, Over time you can throw it faster.

Also you shoulders will burn at the beginning when holding the thai pads for others, so if you want you can start practising front lateral raises/holds.
    If abs are made in the kitchen how come hardly any women have them?

MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Going to my first Muay Thai class tomorrow.

First form of any martial art I've taken... Figured it'd be a fun thing to get into that'd give me another hobby and help me stay in shape at the same time...

Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Azer8710 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    strong peeps

beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beatha is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good Advice being given out to first timers for the most part. I took my 1st MA class last week after over 7 years away from any type of fighting sport. It was tough, I had leg cramps during/after worse I've had in while but it was also fun.

I personally didn't care if the instructor had any expectations of me when I answered the question of prior experience honestly. One should not brag about anything but honesty is the best policy, especially if you are asked, that way the instructor knows that he/she may have to help you break some bad habits. You are paying for instruction not just a good workout but to learn good technique. Old habits are not an excuse but people who have trained in different gyms vs those who have never trained sometimes require more time to adapt to doing things in a new way.

I'm no twinkle toes and when asked to do a 6 move combo I'd never tried before within 30 minutes of the class starting I was as lost as any other newbie would be. Just enjoy yourself, work hard but pace yourself, pay attention and eventually you're training will take you to where you want to be.

Oh.... and don't forget a water bottle / sports drink, walking to the fountain gives you time to rest but if it's permissible to take a few sips while the teacher is doing a demonstration or simply talking to the class do that instead. Proper hydration is key.
    Last edited by beatha; 07-07-2010 at 02:32 PM.

HansF is just really nice. (+1000) HansF is just really nice. (+1000) HansF is just really nice. (+1000) HansF is just really nice. (+1000) HansF is just really nice. (+1000) HansF is just really nice. (+1000) HansF is just really nice. (+1000) HansF is just really nice. (+1000) HansF is just really nice. (+1000) HansF is just really nice. (+1000) HansF is just really nice. (+1000)
    There's a US Black Belt Academy about 5 minutes from my house. They do Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu, MMA, Muay Thai etc. Should I do MMA or just Jiu jitsu. Doesn't mma have kicking? I can't kick for ****. Thats why I'm thinking of just doing jitsu.

S0LID is just really nice. (+1000) S0LID is just really nice. (+1000) S0LID is just really nice. (+1000) S0LID is just really nice. (+1000) S0LID is just really nice. (+1000) S0LID is just really nice. (+1000) S0LID is just really nice. (+1000) S0LID is just really nice. (+1000) S0LID is just really nice. (+1000) S0LID is just really nice. (+1000) S0LID is just really nice. (+1000)
    In these places, everyone respects a bit of boasting. The coach will ask you "have you done any muay thai before", close your eyes, smile and say "Listen up c0ck breath, I did karate for five years" wink, backturn and walk off.

When people leave their wallets around, hidden in their zipped up bag, it's an invitation for you to earn a quick buck. Who do these faaggots think they are? Your the king pin in this dojo, they should be paying YOU to be there.

ALWAYS have an excuse! When all the **** lickers are running laps, have a sit down. if they ask why, tell them your chest is hurting, you don't need all that crap, you leart your trade watching Rocky 4!!

PEOPLE LOVE BANTER, so instead of wasting time memorizing their names, make up nicknames based on their negative quality's. For instance, that ginger guy kicking the bag is now called ginger bastard, and his mate is called fat twat. You'll be one of the boys in no time.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

My mamma said to get things done, you better not mess with Major Tom.

mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    protip: if chael sonnen happens to be in your BJJ class, you should probably expect to land your first successful triangle choke

Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Donovan93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Awesome Thread
    ------------
    I Rep Back
    ------------

Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mmaoz View Post
    protip: if chael sonnen happens to be in your BJJ class, you should probably expect to land your first successful triangle choke
    hahaha.....

honestly though, people who are new to bjj seem to be really open to getting caught in triangles. Especially those guys who try to power through and use all sorts of energy... they watch MMA and think it is easy to avoid or something... My favourite is the triangle set up from starting in half guard. Works well on hyper guys trying to muscle through so well, plus it gives me the chance to work on the technique.

I remember one time, this guy was a few weeks into bjj was jumping around like crazy trying to pass open guard. I butterfly swept him into side and he tapped to side right away because he said he was just to tired. This leads to my tip for new guys going to your first class or first few weeks of classes.

Learn the techniques but you do not have to do them at full speed. Try working them, but do not gas yourself out to the point where you can not roll at all if you get swept. Do not gas out trying to pass guard. If you want to get better, it helps a lot to learn from higher ranking/better guys than yourself. But this is a two way street - and both parties should get something out of it. If you gas out and then stop rolling/tap/just give up than your partner does not benefit and get to work the techniques either, and not only will not be willing to roll with you but will also be less willing to help you out.

After rolling, ask what you did wrong and what you did good. It shows interest and a willingness to get better. Hell, even if you know the guy is better than you and get a tap - still ask, do not act like a superstar or like your better. I tapped a guy who is way better than me because he tried a technique out that he was not good at yet, and he got caught. After the roll, I did not even mention the tap and asked what I could do better because at the end of the day he still had advice.

AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100) AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100) AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100) AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100) AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100) AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100) AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100) AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100) AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100) AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100) AKO12 is not very well liked. (-100)
    prob best post ive seen so far

Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Good stuff.

My two biggest pet peevs:
    -Big/saggy t-shirts
    -People who come from other martial arts background (TKD, Karate, Kickboxing) and despite it being an MMA class, they choose to do stuff their own way.

Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Debbie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Excellent thread!

I went to my first BJJ class last Saturday. It is my very first time doing martial arts and fighting. Thanks for sharing.
    => "Like" me on ********: http://www.********.com/DebbieInShape
    => "Follow" me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/DebbieInShape

majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) majj268 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Excellent post man!

KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KieranGray95 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great advice i really wanna start Muay thai or something like that

TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am looking to start MMA, but how do you keep clean after rolling around everyones sweat on you and bare feet (disgusting) on the matt etc.........do you just shower after?

drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000) drpurple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TypoBlooded View Post
    I am looking to start MMA, but how do you keep clean after rolling around everyones sweat on you and bare feet (disgusting) on the matt etc.........do you just shower after?
    do you have OCD? just shower properly, before and after.
    dont be bitchin about somebody not being a mexican while ignoring someone who isnt irish.

Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Dshackle is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
    MEN: Don't wear loose underwear with loose shorts. No one wants to see your stuff moving when jumping rope.
    i'd take you in one outs brother

TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50) TypoBlooded will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by drpurple View Post
    do you have OCD? just shower properly, before and after.
    I don't think I have OCD.....it is just a matter of being clean. And I know most people ain't clean (scratch their balls, smelly disgusting rotten feet and toes, stinking sweat)....that is what worries me. Yeah sure I do not mind showering before, but is everyone else? I seriously doubt that, they work or study fulltime and they would never fit in a shower before rolling I have seen it first hand (did BJJ for a couple of months).

thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedarce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    great thread!

Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brian0602 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had my first boxing class today. Friday will be Jui-Jitsu. This helped me out a lot. Thanks

Originally Posted by TypoBlooded View Post
    I don't think I have OCD.....it is just a matter of being clean. And I know most people ain't clean (scratch their balls, smelly disgusting rotten feet and toes, stinking sweat)....that is what worries me. Yeah sure I do not mind showering before, but is everyone else? I seriously doubt that, they work or study fulltime and they would never fit in a shower before rolling I have seen it first hand (did BJJ for a couple of months).
    which is why you shower afterwards. dont be a pussy.

mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mmaoz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Brian0602 View Post
    I had my first boxing class today. Friday will be Jui-Jitsu. This helped me out a lot. Thanks
    how'd it go?

Dowis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dowis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dowis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dowis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dowis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dowis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im going to mma class in september, would go now but it's closed for summer :/