Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 234
  1. #31
    Registered User ochen's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Sydney, Australia
    Age: 34
    Posts: 34
    Rep Power: 0
    ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ochen is offline
    Hey airwave, thanks for the reply. ive had the injury for about 7 months now, late last year i took 5 weeks of work to just rest and have a holiday away, i slepted plenty and basically just rested still with no gym work.

    Really didnt do much as I still had the dull pain. how long have you had this all up airwave?
    i really want to go back and start doing some work but I;d like to hear your experiences before I go back.
    Reply With Quote

  2. #32
    Registered User airwave's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 38
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    airwave is offline
    Ive had it since oct 09. Like I said it did improve alot until I went back to early and it came back. I think I have some kind of cartilige tear. When I tried lifting again it gave me the associated costochondritis/inflammation back.

    I met sombody once who was lifting 45kg dumbells and he seperated the cartilge from the sternum, tore muscle and tore fibers off the sternum. So im told it took a year to get rid of the inflammation/costochondritis associated with the injury and a further year and a half to heal with alot of bed rest.

    I dont know how severe your pain/injury is? Can you do a physical job without making it worse? If you have a minor strain maybe you could try lifting but I wouldnt recomend it until its better.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #33
    Registered User joecassiny's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 43
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    joecassiny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    joecassiny is offline

    Costo issues...

    Originally Posted by airwave View Post
    Ive had it since oct 09. Like I said it did improve alot until I went back to early and it came back. I think I have some kind of cartilige tear. When I tried lifting again it gave me the associated costochondritis/inflammation back.

    I met sombody once who was lifting 45kg dumbells and he seperated the cartilge from the sternum, tore muscle and tore fibers off the sternum. So im told it took a year to get rid of the inflammation/costochondritis associated with the injury and a further year and a half to heal with alot of bed rest.

    I dont know how severe your pain/injury is? Can you do a physical job without making it worse? If you have a minor strain maybe you could try lifting but I wouldnt recomend it until its better.
    Hi Airwave
    i just saw your posting about Costochondritis...i have had this for 6 months now. I tried to lift through it for about 6 weeks but my symptoms got worse and worse so i finally gave up and now just relax, zero workouts, not even running. Its been over 6 months and I see no end to this. you say you had it for 2 years?? How did you finally get better? Is it gone? are you able to work out at all. I have lost 20lbs of muscle and am going a bit insane to say the least.
    I have tried cortisone injections, botox, patches, nothing has worked for over a week or two. It just keeps coming back.

    Any help would be appreciated! I hope you arent still feeling this ****, it sucks to say the least.

    -Joe
    Reply With Quote

  4. #34
    Registered User ochen's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Sydney, Australia
    Age: 34
    Posts: 34
    Rep Power: 0
    ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ochen is offline
    Originally Posted by joecassiny View Post
    Hi Airwave
    i just saw your posting about Costochondritis...i have had this for 6 months now. I tried to lift through it for about 6 weeks but my symptoms got worse and worse so i finally gave up and now just relax, zero workouts, not even running. Its been over 6 months and I see no end to this. you say you had it for 2 years?? How did you finally get better? Is it gone? are you able to work out at all. I have lost 20lbs of muscle and am going a bit insane to say the least.
    I have tried cortisone injections, botox, patches, nothing has worked for over a week or two. It just keeps coming back.

    Any help would be appreciated! I hope you arent still feeling this ****, it sucks to say the least.

    -Joe
    Hi Joe,

    Like airwave and yourself ive had chronic costo, I ve had it for about 7-8months now and like you tried to work through it for a month or so but it got to a stage where i had intense stabbing pains. Added to this costo I also had a sternum joint inflammation.

    Ive lost about 14lb of muscle, I had 3 cortisones in a session, chiro, remedial massage, accupunture, and asian medicine but nothing has helped.

    I think all we can do is rest up and sit it out trying the best not to inflame the area anymore.

    Do you ice the area?
    Reply With Quote

  5. #35
    Registered User airwave's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Age: 38
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) airwave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    airwave is offline
    Hello joecassiny

    Sorry to hear you have this aswell. Do you just have inflammation/costochondritis or do you have a cartilage tear and do you recall injuring it at a certain point? Maybe you have underlying damage like a tear and doing weights while it hasnt healed has caused the costochondritis? This is my experience.

    You need to take time out. Try and get rid of all the inflammation that has spread from the main injury site with rest, ibuprophen, heat,ice etc. If need be keep resting until the underlying cause has healed after the inflammation has gone.

    I have had this since oct 09. All the inflammation went away after almost 1 year so I went back to lifting light weights. This was a mistake because the underlying problem was still there and the inflammation came back.




    Originally Posted by joecassiny View Post
    Hi Airwave
    i just saw your posting about Costochondritis...i have had this for 6 months now. I tried to lift through it for about 6 weeks but my symptoms got worse and worse so i finally gave up and now just relax, zero workouts, not even running. Its been over 6 months and I see no end to this. you say you had it for 2 years?? How did you finally get better? Is it gone? are you able to work out at all. I have lost 20lbs of muscle and am going a bit insane to say the least.
    I have tried cortisone injections, botox, patches, nothing has worked for over a week or two. It just keeps coming back.

    Any help would be appreciated! I hope you arent still feeling this ****, it sucks to say the least.

    -Joe
    Reply With Quote

  6. #36
    Registered User joecassiny's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 43
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    joecassiny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    joecassiny is offline
    Thanks for the reply Airwave. There was never a moment in the gym where I felt a tear or can pinpoint a time of injury. In July 10, I started feeling this "pinching" in my chest, underneath the skin. It wasnt much and didnt really hurt. I kept working out and 2 weeks later it had gotten much worse and more apparent. I have worked out pretty aggressively for about 4 years now. I knew it wasnt my muscle, but something deeper. I met with my Dr. and he asked if I was doing a lot of pullups which I had been doing. At least 50/day on top of working out. I noticed that pullups actually made the pinch worse.

    Dr did xray, ctscan, chiro, laser, and nothing has worked. I have been out of the gym now for 4 months and still have the pains. Rest has reduced the "flares".

    I cant lift, run, stretch, i cant do anything or the inflammation comes back. Basically if I get my heartrate up, i get a lot of pain.

    I keep reading about this on the web and I have even joined a Costo group on Yahoo. There are people there that have had Costo for over 3 years and it still effects their life considerably.

    I tell everyone, this sucks!!! Worse thing that has ever happened to me. I have had ankle surgery since the incident however I cant fully try out my ankle as running causes flare ups.

    I think we all share something in common on this site... the sensation we get out of working out, the feeling, the pump, the adrenaline, I miss it, need it and am desperately looking for help to get it back.

    I hope I can hear some recovery stories and methods of success out there. I will try anything.


    -Joe



    Originally Posted by airwave View Post
    Hello joecassiny

    Sorry to hear you have this aswell. Do you just have inflammation/costochondritis or do you have a cartilage tear and do you recall injuring it at a certain point? Maybe you have underlying damage like a tear and doing weights while it hasnt healed has caused the costochondritis? This is my experience.

    You need to take time out. Try and get rid of all the inflammation that has spread from the main injury site with rest, ibuprophen, heat,ice etc. If need be keep resting until the underlying cause has healed after the inflammation has gone.

    I have had this since oct 09. All the inflammation went away after almost 1 year so I went back to lifting light weights. This was a mistake because the underlying problem was still there and the inflammation came back.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #37
    Registered User joecassiny's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 43
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    joecassiny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    joecassiny is offline
    Hi Ochen,
    I have tried ice but it doesnt do anyhting. If I am having a flare up, it helps remove the pain for a few minutes but I dont see it being a long term remedy. I understnad your feeling. I have lost 20lbs of muscle. It sucks when you work so hard to get yourself to a point then just slowly watch it melt right away.

    Let me know if you come up with a remedy. I have tried everything there is, I am not doing laser therapy. I will let you know how the laser therapy works.

    -Joe


    Originally Posted by ochen View Post
    Hi Joe,

    Like airwave and yourself ive had chronic costo, I ve had it for about 7-8months now and like you tried to work through it for a month or so but it got to a stage where i had intense stabbing pains. Added to this costo I also had a sternum joint inflammation.

    Ive lost about 14lb of muscle, I had 3 cortisones in a session, chiro, remedial massage, accupunture, and asian medicine but nothing has helped.

    I think all we can do is rest up and sit it out trying the best not to inflame the area anymore.

    Do you ice the area?
    Reply With Quote

  8. #38
    Registered User gemmahold's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 35
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gemmahold has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    gemmahold is offline

    Smile

    You know there is a doctor on fitnessinventor .com who could probably answer that question for you!
    Reply With Quote

  9. #39
    Registered User ochen's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Sydney, Australia
    Age: 34
    Posts: 34
    Rep Power: 0
    ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ochen is offline
    Originally Posted by joecassiny View Post
    Hi Ochen,
    I have tried ice but it doesnt do anyhting. If I am having a flare up, it helps remove the pain for a few minutes but I dont see it being a long term remedy. I understnad your feeling. I have lost 20lbs of muscle. It sucks when you work so hard to get yourself to a point then just slowly watch it melt right away.

    Let me know if you come up with a remedy. I have tried everything there is, I am not doing laser therapy. I will let you know how the laser therapy works.

    -Joe
    Hi Joe,

    Really sorry to hear about your costo as well. I understand your frustration trust me I do, ive also tried everything including laser therapy, no help, i had in the order of 10-15 sessions and they would reduce the pain straight after for a while, however after a few more hours the ache would come back.

    DO you have a dull ache across your chest? Which ribs are affected?

    I have costo plus a sternum joint inflammation as well.
    Reply With Quote

  10. #40
    Registered User Ash_au's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Age: 36
    Posts: 551
    Rep Power: 2423
    Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000) Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000) Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000) Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000) Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000) Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000) Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000) Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000) Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000) Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000) Ash_au is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ash_au is offline
    Seems like a very common injury! I think I have a mild case from doing heavy dips. I have removed them from routine for now and waiting for it to heal.

    I'm going to try orange triad with a 1 week off and hopefully it goes away.

    Be very careful when going heavy on dips and listen to your body! Don't ignore the pain!
    Reply With Quote

  11. #41
    Registered User anneparker's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 36
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    anneparker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    anneparker is offline
    hey, thanking you for the information . the people experience will help me to get back my health back.
    Reply With Quote

  12. #42
    Registered User joecassiny's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 43
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    joecassiny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    joecassiny is offline
    hi ochen...i have tried all the modalitiies, to no avail...i have done 2 laser treatments and they seemed to help, my PT was out of town the past few weeks and the pain has comeback, i am not sure if i was just between "flares" or the laser actually worked...

    my pain is in the 3rd rib, right above my heart and from there to the sternum so it is with the cartilege between the rib and sternum, maybe both of those costal joints...

    Its been 8 mths now, pain is the same as day 1 and I have not worked out at all. I dont know what to do next. I found another group on Yahoo called the costochondritis group, a lady there suggested a mixture of applecider vinegar and local organic honey, i believe 1 tbs of each every mornign and 1tbs of codliver oil every evennign mixed with orange juice and she as well as some others seem to have results. i am goign to try it out.

    What remedys are you utilizing now?

    I am interested in communicating with you more if you care to about this. My Dr's are at a loss and I am Fu$%#ng desperate to say the least. Email me at joecyoung AT gmail DOT com
    Reply With Quote

  13. #43
    Registered User pizanoj's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Age: 30
    Posts: 2
    Rep Power: 0
    pizanoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    pizanoj is offline
    So this costocondritus is ruining my military career I'm waiting on word to see if I can deploy next month if I dnt it's a sighn that I'll probly get kicked out with a medical discharge it's suckin !!!
    Reply With Quote

  14. #44
    Platinum User iBulk's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: New Jersey, United States
    Posts: 5,422
    Rep Power: 11820
    iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    iBulk is offline
    So yesterday i tried weighted dips for the first time. I was doing fine but after a few reps my arms just gave out, and i didn't think quickly enough to put my feet down so i dipped very low. I felt/heard a popping sensation in my sternum. I went home immediately.

    That night i took some ibuprofen but i had a painful sleepless night. Today the pain is quite severe, even after a dose of ibuprofen. There is no swelling or bruising, so im confident that it is Costochondritis. From what i understand, it can take many months to completely go away, but will the pain get any less severe in the next few days?

    What can I expect in the next week or 2.

    Thanks.
    NJ 732
    Reply With Quote

  15. #45
    Platinum User iBulk's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: New Jersey, United States
    Posts: 5,422
    Rep Power: 11820
    iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    iBulk is offline
    Originally Posted by iBulk View Post
    So yesterday i tried weighted dips for the first time. I was doing fine but after a few reps my arms just gave out, and i didn't think quickly enough to put my feet down so i dipped very low. I felt/heard a popping sensation in my sternum. I went home immediately.

    That night i took some ibuprofen but i had a painful sleepless night. Today the pain is quite severe, even after a dose of ibuprofen. There is no swelling or bruising, so im confident that it is Costochondritis. From what i understand, it can take many months to completely go away, but will the pain get any less severe in the next few days?

    What can I expect in the next week or 2.

    Thanks.
    No one has responded yet so ill give my Day 4 update.

    The pain has mostly gone away during regular activities. Turning over in bed still hurts. I can stretch my arms with almost no feeling of pain, where on day 1&2, i couldn't bring my hands up to my neck.

    I will stay out of the gym for another week, and will try to go back a full 2 weeks after the injury for some experimental reduced weight exercises, to see if a weight triggers more pain.
    NJ 732
    Reply With Quote

  16. #46
    Registered User BBar68's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Location: United States
    Age: 38
    Posts: 144
    Rep Power: 148
    BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    BBar68 is offline
    I had it twice in the past year.

    It's horrible. I did it taking my son out of the car in the car seat. it tooks WEEKS to go away. the buring pain, the popping of the chest. it was terrible. I went to the dr. and he gave me anti-inflammitories. They didn't do dick. Just ice it. and rest. avoid any movements you don't have to do.
    Reply With Quote

  17. #47
    Registered User BBar68's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Location: United States
    Age: 38
    Posts: 144
    Rep Power: 148
    BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBar68 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    BBar68 is offline
    Originally Posted by BBar68 View Post
    I had it twice in the past year.

    It's horrible. I did it taking my son out of the car in the car seat. it tooks WEEKS to go away. the buring pain, the popping of the chest. it was terrible. I went to the dr. and he gave me anti-inflammitories. They didn't do dick. Just ice it. and rest. avoid any movements you don't have to do.
    I jinxed myself by posting in this thread. I just reaggrevated the injury. FUK. At least it isn't as bad as it was the first time.
    Reply With Quote

  18. #48
    Registered User UtahGetMe2's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Age: 38
    Posts: 742
    Rep Power: 215
    UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahGetMe2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    UtahGetMe2 is offline
    I have it and it's the worst. It takes forever to go away. Rest, rest, rest.
    Reply With Quote

  19. #49
    Registered User joecassiny's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 43
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    joecassiny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    joecassiny is offline
    Originally Posted by iBulk View Post
    No one has responded yet so ill give my Day 4 update.

    The pain has mostly gone away during regular activities. Turning over in bed still hurts. I can stretch my arms with almost no feeling of pain, where on day 1&2, i couldn't bring my hands up to my neck.

    I will stay out of the gym for another week, and will try to go back a full 2 weeks after the injury for some experimental reduced weight exercises, to see if a weight triggers more pain.
    Hi,
    Sorry for delayed response. I have had this now since June 2010. Today my pain is worse than it has been in 9 mths and I dont work out, dont run, dont lift anything, I rest about as much as a person possibly could rest without being bedridden. I am lucky to have a desk job and to be self employed so I can work from home lying down on my back with laptop and telephone. Unfortunately, that doesnt help me heal though.

    If I were you, I would stay out of the gym for a month. I would also cut back on your dips.

    This is tough to hear but you need to understand how serious this injury could be. I used to work out 6 days a week, I was about as addicted as they come.

    I pushed it too hard and now I am paying for it. I first noticed a very small pinch, now its a constant "flaming" flaring, feeling in my chest, on both sides.

    Sorry to hear about the job, military career, I have read some posts that say after 1 yr it suddenly disappeared. Nobody knows what it is and since it doesnt kill, it will never get the research time it deserves.

    Good luck and REST.

    -Joe
    Reply With Quote

  20. #50
    Registered User joecassiny's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 43
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    joecassiny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    joecassiny is offline
    Originally Posted by UtahGetMe2 View Post
    I have it and it's the worst. It takes forever to go away. Rest, rest, rest.
    Hi Utah,
    How did you finally recover? Did you take any remedy we could try out?

    Are you back to workign out again?
    Reply With Quote

  21. #51
    Platinum User iBulk's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: New Jersey, United States
    Posts: 5,422
    Rep Power: 11820
    iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    iBulk is offline
    Yesterday I returned to the gym, exactly 3 weeks after my injury. I started with a light weight, doing chest presses on a machine. I didnt feel pain so i added more weight, about 20% less than i used to do before my injury, I felt slight discomfort, but nothing significant. I finished my workout doing 80% weight on all exercises.

    I am happy than i am making a good recovery. I will continue to take it easy for a few more weeks.

    I wonder why some people are reporting severe pain for many months, while some people recover in a few weeks? I was certain that my injury was pretty severe, considering that i felt my sternum pop 4-5 times, rapid fire, during my dips, and then barely being able to sleep for the first 3 nights.
    NJ 732
    Reply With Quote

  22. #52
    Registered User ochen's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Sydney, Australia
    Age: 34
    Posts: 34
    Rep Power: 0
    ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ochen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ochen is offline
    Originally Posted by iBulk View Post
    Yesterday I returned to the gym, exactly 3 weeks after my injury. I started with a light weight, doing chest presses on a machine. I didnt feel pain so i added more weight, about 20% less than i used to do before my injury, I felt slight discomfort, but nothing significant. I finished my workout doing 80% weight on all exercises.

    I am happy than i am making a good recovery. I will continue to take it easy for a few more weeks.

    I wonder why some people are reporting severe pain for many months, while some people recover in a few weeks? I was certain that my injury was pretty severe, considering that i felt my sternum pop 4-5 times, rapid fire, during my dips, and then barely being able to sleep for the first 3 nights.
    Everyone takes different times to recover, I guess your one of the lucky ones also the fact that you instantly stopped working out and took NSAIDS and you also rested was a great help to your recovery, I never took NSAIDS until later when i saw the doc and i would continue working out, hence why im in the spot of bother i am in now.

    Does your sternum still crack?
    Reply With Quote

  23. #53
    Platinum User iBulk's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Location: New Jersey, United States
    Posts: 5,422
    Rep Power: 11820
    iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iBulk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    iBulk is offline
    Originally Posted by ochen View Post
    Everyone takes different times to recover, I guess your one of the lucky ones also the fact that you instantly stopped working out and took NSAIDS and you also rested was a great help to your recovery, I never took NSAIDS until later when i saw the doc and i would continue working out, hence why im in the spot of bother i am in now.

    Does your sternum still crack?
    My sternum never cracked... Unless i just didn't do any movements that would cause it to crack. but now as i move my arms all around, im getting no cracking.
    NJ 732
    Reply With Quote

  24. #54
    Registered User nastynatty's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Age: 29
    Posts: 129
    Rep Power: 173
    nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50) nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50) nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50) nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50) nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50) nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50) nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50) nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50) nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50) nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50) nastynatty will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    nastynatty is offline
    hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread but i've been looking for answers everywhere and no one has them.

    I'm pretty sure I got costochondritis from doing shrugs one day about 2 months ago. I felt a pain right above my abs on the right and kind of right below my pec. suddenly it got so bad I couldnt turn my head to the side without excruciating pain. i barely drove home and couldnt lie down by myself, could barely move without causing the pain. I laid in bed for 4 days and it was better so I got back in the gym lifting heavy again. it was fine for about a month until a dull pain started right under my right pec again.

    the worse thing was a new pain that started. the best way to describe it is it felt like there was a tag on the inside of my shirt, in the front, scratching my sternum (like the tag on the back of your shirt scratches your neck). now i get it whenever i do back exercises - rows, pullups, you name it. i can feel the blood rush to my sternum and then i feel the scratching and it feels really uncomfortable.

    then I started having trouble breathing and chest pain that felt like a heart attack so i went to the ER. no tests showed anything.

    when i talked to my doctor about it he said i probably have costochondritis and should take 2 weeks off.

    I took 2 weeks off and now the pain below my pec is doing better but i just started lifting again and the sternum "tag" feeling is back whenever i train my back.

    do you think this is some form of costochondritis?

    my doctor is telling me to take 6 weeks off which I dont know if i can do. I have to train. right now im training with very light weights and not doing back at all
    RIP Zyzz
    Reply With Quote

  25. #55
    Registered User jmyager6's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2011
    Location: United States
    Age: 27
    Posts: 95
    Rep Power: 124
    jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmyager6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    jmyager6 is offline
    Originally Posted by nastynatty View Post
    hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread but i've been looking for answers everywhere and no one has them.

    I'm pretty sure I got costochondritis from doing shrugs one day about 2 months ago. I felt a pain right above my abs on the right and kind of right below my pec. suddenly it got so bad I couldnt turn my head to the side without excruciating pain. i barely drove home and couldnt lie down by myself, could barely move without causing the pain. I laid in bed for 4 days and it was better so I got back in the gym lifting heavy again. it was fine for about a month until a dull pain started right under my right pec again.

    the worse thing was a new pain that started. the best way to describe it is it felt like there was a tag on the inside of my shirt, in the front, scratching my sternum (like the tag on the back of your shirt scratches your neck). now i get it whenever i do back exercises - rows, pullups, you name it. i can feel the blood rush to my sternum and then i feel the scratching and it feels really uncomfortable.

    then I started having trouble breathing and chest pain that felt like a heart attack so i went to the ER. no tests showed anything.

    when i talked to my doctor about it he said i probably have costochondritis and should take 2 weeks off.

    I took 2 weeks off and now the pain below my pec is doing better but i just started lifting again and the sternum "tag" feeling is back whenever i train my back.

    do you think this is some form of costochondritis?

    my doctor is telling me to take 6 weeks off which I dont know if i can do. I have to train. right now im training with very light weights and not doing back at all
    bump for answers
    Reply With Quote

  26. #56
    Registered User costovictim's Avatar
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Age: 36
    Posts: 1
    Rep Power: 0
    costovictim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) costovictim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) costovictim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) costovictim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) costovictim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) costovictim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) costovictim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) costovictim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) costovictim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    costovictim is offline
    Hi, guys.

    I registered on this forum just to add my two cents on the topic.

    First of all - this condition is a f*cking CURSE!!! It's beyond depressing and frustrating!

    I was experiencing the rib pain when doing dips back in august 2011, but was ignoring because it had happened before and i just though it was a muscle or something. At one point it got so worse that I couldn't even do push ups anymore, I couldn't exercise at all. I've had it for 5 months now and I would say that on a good day I have 20-35% improvement compared to the initial injury.

    From what I've read so far in this thread it seems like it's mainly the dips exercise that's causing this annoying thing. Hence I think even people who don't have costo should refrain from it because trust me - it's not worth the risk.

    Now - I've done heavy research oh the topic during all these months and as discouraging as it is - there are people who've had this condition for 20-30 years, for life basically.

    One of the reasons it takes forever to heal is that cartilage is not blood supplied like muscles, tendons and bones. Blood brings nutrients, no blood = no nutrients.

    The only way costal cartilages get their nutrients is through a surrounding membrane called perichondrium, it has some blood vessels in it and it basically wraps around the cartilages from the outter side. This membrane has chondrogenic properties (chondrocytes are the cells that build cartilage), but the tricky thing is that the production of the new cartilage cells is a) really slow b) the produced matrix is initially liquid-like, with time it becomes thicker and thicker and fills the cracks/injuries in the cartilage. The produced cells has to be pushed downwards in order to build the cartilage, this has been proved to happen with movement, so total immobilization is not advised.

    The two things I have noticed to work are:

    1. REST and SLEEP. The more you sleep, the more the inflammation goes away, the quicker the body regenerates itself.

    2. Heating pads on the painfull area. Heat brings blood to the perichondrium (the vascularized outter membrane of the cartilages) and thus more nutrients for the perichondrium to produce new chondrocytes.

    Another thing I noticed: At one point 3 months post the injury I had gotten really well, no pain with movement, it just felt it was going away. And then I had to travel to a different country and my suitcase was really heavy. Lifting the suitcase on that day made it come back, in general any strain/lifting/carrying heavy stuff basically re-injures the area and that happens because the newly-produced cartilage matrix is still fragile/liquidy, it hasn't calcified.

    Things that should be implemented as supplements:

    1. A balanced multivitamin formula would be a good start. The body needs different vitamins and minerals to regenerate.

    2. Additional vitamin c - 500 mg a day (not more, so that you don't interefere with the absorption of other important vitamins). In addition to chondrocytes cartilage consists of collagen type 2 and vitamin C is known to accelerates collagen production in all connective tissue.

    3. Omega 3 - fights inflammation.

    4. Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM formula - for healing cartilage. This formula has been advertised to osteoarthtitis for a couple of decades now. Some studies suggests it works, some say it's a scam. I guess when we're so desperate it won't hurt to try. Some osteoarthritis patients do swear it helps.

    5. A specific form of Calcium called Calcium Orotate.

    The site wouldn't let me post links, but just google this: "THE CLINICAL EFFECT OF CALCIUM OROTATE1 ON CARTILAGE TISSUE" and click in the articles.

    The paragraph regarding Costochondritis (a.k.a. Tietze syndrome):

    Specific effect on cartilage:
    It was first reported by WHITE towards the end of 1969, that calcium orotate showed an astounding curative effect on the Tietze syndrome. These reports were repeated over and over during 1970 and 1971, so that we were induced to try calcium orotate in three cases of stubborn Tietze syndrome. The effect of the calcium orotate was indeed surprising--all the details of the WHITE article were fully verified. Tietze syndrome, according to our information, is much more common in the US than here in Germany. According to WHITE, the syndrome is suppressed by very low doses--down to 1g/week, which we could verify. A dosage of 500mg/day is fully effective, it is highly significant that there is no effect whatsoever from calcium EAP, calcium-L dl aspartate (calciretard), calcium gluconate, calcium citrate, magnesium orotate, and K-Mg-aspartate, upon the Tietze syndrome.

    On the basis of our knowledge of the effect of calcium orotate on the Tietze syndrome, we must conclude, that a favorable trophic effect on the cartilaginous intervertebral substance is the reason for the not infrequently spectacular improvement of the patient.

    This fully specific effect of calcium orotate on cartilage, as evidenced by the Tietze syndrome experience, appears now to be of tremendous clinical significance. Unfortunately, we only learned this after the repeated reports of WHITE. While we were treating patients with spinal column syndrome and calcification damage, it had been apparent, for a long time, that the reported and verified improvement of their condition, must be attributed to more than simply an influence on the bone tissue. For example, we had five patients (f) and one patient (m) from 26 to 76 years, with symptoms of weakness and painful sensitivity in the wrists. In three cases, it could be observed only with an sphygmomanometer, and in three cases observation was not possible at all. In every case, the complaints disappeared with calcium orotate therapy. Upon the removal of the therapy, or when the dosage was insufficient (less than about 1.6g/ week) the complaints returned.

    -------------------------------------------

    Needless to say I already ordered Calcium Orotate and I suggest you do the same guys.

    In the meantime I would be glad if anyone reports on their progress.
    Reply With Quote

  27. #57
    Registered User joecassiny's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 43
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    joecassiny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    joecassiny is offline

    Costohelp...we are in this together.

    Hi Costo...
    I am in the same boat, its just been longer for me. I have been suffering for over 19 months now. Its tough to keep up with this forum, how about you email me directly at joecyoung77 AT yahoo DOT com.

    There is also a facebook group called "Costochondritis is a pain in the chest... literally". Check it out.

    thanks for the info, look forward to speaking with you.
    together we can all fix this "devil inside".

    -Joe


    Originally Posted by costovictim View Post
    Hi, guys.

    I registered on this forum just to add my two cents on the topic.

    First of all - this condition is a f*cking CURSE!!! It's beyond depressing and frustrating!

    I was experiencing the rib pain when doing dips back in august 2011, but was ignoring because it had happened before and i just though it was a muscle or something. At one point it got so worse that I couldn't even do push ups anymore, I couldn't exercise at all. I've had it for 5 months now and I would say that on a good day I have 20-35% improvement compared to the initial injury.

    From what I've read so far in this thread it seems like it's mainly the dips exercise that's causing this annoying thing. Hence I think even people who don't have costo should refrain from it because trust me - it's not worth the risk.

    Now - I've done heavy research oh the topic during all these months and as discouraging as it is - there are people who've had this condition for 20-30 years, for life basically.

    One of the reasons it takes forever to heal is that cartilage is not blood supplied like muscles, tendons and bones. Blood brings nutrients, no blood = no nutrients.

    The only way costal cartilages get their nutrients is through a surrounding membrane called perichondrium, it has some blood vessels in it and it basically wraps around the cartilages from the outter side. This membrane has chondrogenic properties (chondrocytes are the cells that build cartilage), but the tricky thing is that the production of the new cartilage cells is a) really slow b) the produced matrix is initially liquid-like, with time it becomes thicker and thicker and fills the cracks/injuries in the cartilage. The produced cells has to be pushed downwards in order to build the cartilage, this has been proved to happen with movement, so total immobilization is not advised.

    The two things I have noticed to work are:

    1. REST and SLEEP. The more you sleep, the more the inflammation goes away, the quicker the body regenerates itself.

    2. Heating pads on the painfull area. Heat brings blood to the perichondrium (the vascularized outter membrane of the cartilages) and thus more nutrients for the perichondrium to produce new chondrocytes.

    Another thing I noticed: At one point 3 months post the injury I had gotten really well, no pain with movement, it just felt it was going away. And then I had to travel to a different country and my suitcase was really heavy. Lifting the suitcase on that day made it come back, in general any strain/lifting/carrying heavy stuff basically re-injures the area and that happens because the newly-produced cartilage matrix is still fragile/liquidy, it hasn't calcified.

    Things that should be implemented as supplements:

    1. A balanced multivitamin formula would be a good start. The body needs different vitamins and minerals to regenerate.

    2. Additional vitamin c - 500 mg a day (not more, so that you don't interefere with the absorption of other important vitamins). In addition to chondrocytes cartilage consists of collagen type 2 and vitamin C is known to accelerates collagen production in all connective tissue.

    3. Omega 3 - fights inflammation.

    4. Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM formula - for healing cartilage. This formula has been advertised to osteoarthtitis for a couple of decades now. Some studies suggests it works, some say it's a scam. I guess when we're so desperate it won't hurt to try. Some osteoarthritis patients do swear it helps.

    5. A specific form of Calcium called Calcium Orotate.

    The site wouldn't let me post links, but just google this: "THE CLINICAL EFFECT OF CALCIUM OROTATE1 ON CARTILAGE TISSUE" and click in the articles.

    The paragraph regarding Costochondritis (a.k.a. Tietze syndrome):

    Specific effect on cartilage:
    It was first reported by WHITE towards the end of 1969, that calcium orotate showed an astounding curative effect on the Tietze syndrome. These reports were repeated over and over during 1970 and 1971, so that we were induced to try calcium orotate in three cases of stubborn Tietze syndrome. The effect of the calcium orotate was indeed surprising--all the details of the WHITE article were fully verified. Tietze syndrome, according to our information, is much more common in the US than here in Germany. According to WHITE, the syndrome is suppressed by very low doses--down to 1g/week, which we could verify. A dosage of 500mg/day is fully effective, it is highly significant that there is no effect whatsoever from calcium EAP, calcium-L dl aspartate (calciretard), calcium gluconate, calcium citrate, magnesium orotate, and K-Mg-aspartate, upon the Tietze syndrome.

    On the basis of our knowledge of the effect of calcium orotate on the Tietze syndrome, we must conclude, that a favorable trophic effect on the cartilaginous intervertebral substance is the reason for the not infrequently spectacular improvement of the patient.

    This fully specific effect of calcium orotate on cartilage, as evidenced by the Tietze syndrome experience, appears now to be of tremendous clinical significance. Unfortunately, we only learned this after the repeated reports of WHITE. While we were treating patients with spinal column syndrome and calcification damage, it had been apparent, for a long time, that the reported and verified improvement of their condition, must be attributed to more than simply an influence on the bone tissue. For example, we had five patients (f) and one patient (m) from 26 to 76 years, with symptoms of weakness and painful sensitivity in the wrists. In three cases, it could be observed only with an sphygmomanometer, and in three cases observation was not possible at all. In every case, the complaints disappeared with calcium orotate therapy. Upon the removal of the therapy, or when the dosage was insufficient (less than about 1.6g/ week) the complaints returned.

    -------------------------------------------

    Needless to say I already ordered Calcium Orotate and I suggest you do the same guys.

    In the meantime I would be glad if anyone reports on their progress.
    Reply With Quote

  28. #58
    Banned JMCandelario's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2010
    Location: Texas, United States
    Posts: 2,031
    Rep Power: 0
    JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000) JMCandelario is a name known to all. (+5000)
    JMCandelario is offline
    Bumping to say I've had this. It wasn't fun.

    I got it from heavy deadlifts. Really focus on keeping those shoulders pulled back during all aspects of the movement. Don't slouch at all (yes, your shoulders can slouch even with great lower back form).

    To heal, I stayed out of the gym for a week. Lots of rest, no heavy lifting. Took some anti-inflammatories the first 3 days and lots of stretching/hot baths once the intense pain and swelling went away.

    When you get back in the gym, start very light and really assess your form. I cannot stress that enough. GET YOUR FORM PERFECT.

    Most injuries do not arise from nothing. Take it slow, and good luck!
    Reply With Quote

  29. #59
    Registered User ianbell121's Avatar
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Age: 32
    Posts: 47
    Rep Power: 0
    ianbell121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianbell121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianbell121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianbell121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianbell121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianbell121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianbell121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianbell121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianbell121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianbell121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ianbell121 is offline
    i did not face such problem thanks god.
    Check out Best Adjustable Dumbbells Reviews
    at www.bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com
    Reply With Quote

  30. #60
    Registered User joecassiny's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Age: 43
    Posts: 9
    Rep Power: 0
    joecassiny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    joecassiny is offline

    costo problems..

    I would literally give me left pinky away, almost a thumb at this point for this to go away. I can't even lift my laptop bag anymore without getting a severe flare up...this stuff is like a little cancer inside, once it gets to your cartilage it just keeps growing. Mine continually is worse. Trying to do "air" exercises to keep my movements in tact like my shoulder positioning etc.

    like you say, listen to your body it doesnt lie

    good luck
    Joe


    Originally Posted by JMCandelario View Post
    Bumping to say I've had this. It wasn't fun.

    I got it from heavy deadlifts. Really focus on keeping those shoulders pulled back during all aspects of the movement. Don't slouch at all (yes, your shoulders can slouch even with great lower back form).

    To heal, I stayed out of the gym for a week. Lots of rest, no heavy lifting. Took some anti-inflammatories the first 3 days and lots of stretching/hot baths once the intense pain and swelling went away.

    When you get back in the gym, start very light and really assess your form. I cannot stress that enough. GET YOUR FORM PERFECT.

    Most injuries do not arise from nothing. Take it slow, and good luck!
    Reply With Quote

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts