Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. I am a +5 days now and feeling wayyy better. I can actually sit for more than 5 minutes now and am getting about 10 hours a sleep a night. It still feels tight but I am walking fairly normal, still can't bend or lift anything.

I am thinking about hitting the local pool after my 3 week visit with the doc. I am on light duty at work for about 3 months (law enforcement) so I want to really good a good program together to rehab the back as well as get back into shape at the same time. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm worried about putting the gun belt back on in the future. It sits right on my L5 disc. Anybody in LE who has had this?

Thanks in advance.
    Pool work is great. I did that for a few months after regular therapy. I just walked forward, backwards and then added side-to-side and crossovers. The water takes away your apprehension and 30 mins in the pool is as taxing as 2 hours on land.

I'm not in law enforcement but they must make cross body holsters or ones with leg ties, etc that redistribute the weight...
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Still improving. Tried to take a car ride yesterday, didn't work too good. I'm hoping to get back to work within 2-3 months. I'm not looking forward to the gunbelt though. Years of that combined with the military really did me in for first one, I hope they don't do me in again. I hate not lifting, I've already lost about 10 pounds. I can't imagine my bench will be above 225 getting back. Pretty bummed out about that. Are any of you guys lifting yet?

jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000) jdmalm123 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Still improving. Tried to take a car ride yesterday, didn't work too good. I'm hoping to get back to work within 2-3 months. I'm not looking forward to the gunbelt though. Years of that combined with the military really did me in for first one, I hope they don't do me in again. I hate not lifting, I've already lost about 10 pounds. I can't imagine my bench will be above 225 getting back. Pretty bummed out about that. Are any of you guys lifting yet?
    I lost 25 lbs in the year from injury to surgery. Took me about a year to get back all the muscle and prior strength. You won't take as long since you addressed it sooner than I did. The good news is, I lift heavier now than before. I almost doubled my dead lift, squat up to 3x/week, etc.
    "Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret."

Training regularly but no progress?
    You need one or more of these: more food, more weight, more reps or more rest.

Check out: www.muscleandbrawn.com

bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey whats up,
    Sorry i have been MIA.. been study like hell for my paramedic exam...Here is an update, i have been going to PT 3 times a week.. just mainly been doing streching(sp) and working on the abs with half cruntches and pelvic tilts..The streching sucks.. i have never been a flexible person, so its like torture to me! LOL.. after my 4th visits we got agressive one day, and i had severe back pain.. it hurt to sit, stand... but i took a few days off and relax, and now i am back to normal.. so we are takeing the PT really slow till the end of the month. I am still walking on the cross tariner and treadmill about an hr combined...I am on no liftin of over 25lb till jan 1. But i still think this was the best course for and would recommend this surgery to anyone, specially if you have tried everything else with no results...

Just rememeber to take things slow and work on your core muscles...lots of walking, it will do wonders trust me...

Thanks to everyone who has chip inon this post.. it has helped!!!
    Bigwitt
    Know ones self; Seek self improvment.

Once a Marine, Always A Marine!

ADD more weight or GO Home.

Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bigwitt View Post
    Hey whats up,
    Sorry i have been MIA.. been study like hell for my paramedic exam...Here is an update, i have been going to PT 3 times a week.. just mainly been doing streching(sp) and working on the abs with half cruntches and pelvic tilts..The streching sucks.. i have never been a flexible person, so its like torture to me! LOL.. after my 4th visits we got agressive one day, and i had severe back pain.. it hurt to sit, stand... but i took a few days off and relax, and now i am back to normal.. so we are takeing the PT really slow till the end of the month. I am still walking on the cross tariner and treadmill about an hr combined...I am on no liftin of over 25lb till jan 1. But i still think this was the best course for and would recommend this surgery to anyone, specially if you have tried everything else with no results...

Just rememeber to take things slow and work on your core muscles...lots of walking, it will do wonders trust me...

Thanks to everyone who has chip inon this post.. it has helped!!!
    Bigwitt
    Glad to hear all is goin well man. As for my side im basically back to normal, as with bigwitt ive never been a flexible person so the stretches are just a pain in the ass. I only went to pt 4 times, during which they said i was good to go and all they really focused on was getting rid of the scar tissue. I have no pain now and ive even caught my self lifting well over 50lbs, not that i mean to, its just things around the house such as moving TV's, beds ext. No pain at all and im very very happy i got this surgery

chrisboard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey i have been following this thread since the beginning, just had surgery two weeks ago today, the 27 th. I guess i got pretty lucky, i have had absolutely no pain no problems moving no complaints . didnt need pain meds at all. i was a little worried like everyone else about getting back to lifting, surgeon and therapist said after six weeks take it slow and there should be no problems. just to keep core strong. thank you to everybody for their posts, have been very helpful, i would absolutely recommend this surgery to anybody, its life changing, six years of pain gone in five hours.

nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10) nitrovic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just saw my Doc for my 3 week follow up. He told me I could start swimming/biking for PT. However, he didn't advise any formal PT center. Is this normal? I'm feeling a lot stronger and walking about .5 mile a day because I'm bored and I go to the store. I really don't want to mess up my back again, but I'm really getting depressed without lifting and biking everyday. I'm thinking about hitting the stationary bike at the gym tomorrow and swimming next week. Anybody started this within a month of the surgery?

Originally Posted by chrisboard View Post
    hey i have been following this thread since the beginning, just had surgery two weeks ago today, the 27 th. I guess i got pretty lucky, i have had absolutely no pain no problems moving no complaints . didnt need pain meds at all. i was a little worried like everyone else about getting back to lifting, surgeon and therapist said after six weeks take it slow and there should be no problems. just to keep core strong. thank you to everybody for their posts, have been very helpful, i would absolutely recommend this surgery to anybody, its life changing, six years of pain gone in five hours.
    You did really well bro!!! Good job. I had a lot of soreness the first couple weeks (I had to run after a 2 year old, so it was compounded because of him). You hitting the gym yet?

chrisboard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    only treadmill and stretches for now for now, couple hours a day, tried going back to work, did o.k., little muscle soreness but thats to be expected with five months off, i dont want to start lifting and put any heavy pressure on the disc yet , want to wait till it scars over , just to be safe, i'm not a doc but i dont think you need to go to physio as long as you do your stretches on your own time to keep scar tissue from building around the nerve, i've been out shoveling snow and it feels good to stretch, i can feel a pull in my back but it feels great after, but take it easy, swimming cant hurt, but watch your posture on the bike. i was told that your back will heal in whatever posture you keep. good luck, hope you heal up nice and quick
    Last edited by chrisboard; 12-20-2008 at 07:11 AM.

LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, I know im kinda late on this but im just getting back into lifting and starting to lay out my plans to get back in it and just created this account today.

Anyway, im 18 years old, 205lbs, 6'2"tall and went to college to play football.
    Beginning the season it was obvious I had a back problem. Turns out I had a herniated disc as well. L5-s1. I got a micro desectomy surgery in Omaha a week and 2 days ago on thursday dec. 11th. So far its been alright. I got oxy codone pills that put me to sleep. One thing I wanted to ask is if u guys are still have sex. Bc my gf coned me into it and have did it actually about every day. I was supposed to get my staples out thursday but it didnt look ready so were shooting for today or tom. I still have pain in my leg, and when I sit down I get the shooting pains. Ive did alot of the same stuff, just laying around and I did go to wal mart a couple of times. Along with the sex which im sure cant be the best lol. O yeah and I did the cortozone shot before i decided to get surgery, it didnt do anything for me. I really hope in a couple weeks I will feel alot better bc so far it feels like it hasnt worked.

bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigwitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by LiftForLife91 View Post
    Hey, I know im kinda late on this but im just getting back into lifting and starting to lay out my plans to get back in it and just created this account today.

Anyway, im 18 years old, 205lbs, 6'2"tall and went to college to play football.
    Beginning the season it was obvious I had a back problem. Turns out I had a herniated disc as well. L5-s1. I got a micro desectomy surgery in Omaha a week and 2 days ago on thursday dec. 11th. So far its been alright. I got oxy codone pills that put me to sleep. One thing I wanted to ask is if u guys are still have sex. Bc my gf coned me into it and have did it actually about every day. I was supposed to get my staples out thursday but it didnt look ready so were shooting for today or tom. I still have pain in my leg, and when I sit down I get the shooting pains. Ive did alot of the same stuff, just laying around and I did go to wal mart a couple of times. Along with the sex which im sure cant be the best lol. O yeah and I did the cortozone shot before i decided to get surgery, it didnt do anything for me. I really hope in a couple weeks I will feel alot better bc so far it feels like it hasnt worked.
    LOL.. sex should be no problem as long as the girl is on top.. try not to arch your back...lots of walking on a tread mill.. when ever your back hurts lay down flat for awhile...If you read back, you see i was on my back for the first week.. slow down and relax ok..

as for the post about riding bike.. i would say go for it.. on a stationary bike at the gym... i know what you mean about lifting i am going through withdrawls... will be starting machines here in a week or so.. still doing PT.. have that untill the end of jan...

BigWitt

LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiftForLife91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah man not exactly, I ended up doing most of the work. I feel alright tho so its all good.

Thats to bad man. To be honest im not sure how I herniated my disc. I have a feeling that it was from my senior year of football, but there is a good chance it could be from lifting as well. Im not exactly sure what your condition is but as far as surgery goes its a good idea to wait till your at least 18. Unless that is it being completely necessary as well as highly recommended by your surgeon. O ya and I can def. relate with the brace. Its been a little over 1 wk since my surgery and im still wearing this stupid brace. 1 wk closer to a better back I guess....

Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Downsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well just thought ide update my progress, im back to normal...been doing squats, bench, everything minus deads....still afraid to do them. Get a little pain/tingling occasionally, doc said that should subside within the year. But goddamn its good to be back to lifting. Its a pain going from repping 300 in bench, then last week only being able to put up 180x10....but at least sh*ts coming back nice and fast, 220x5 this week. Woooo...though this time around im focusing much more on the form of each exercise, none of this arching back crap, and im really focusing on strengthening my core.

Originally Posted by Downsey View Post
    Well just thought ide update my progress, im back to normal...been doing squats, bench, everything minus deads....still afraid to do them. Get a little pain/tingling occasionally, doc said that should subside within the year. But goddamn its good to be back to lifting. Its a pain going from repping 300 in bench, then last week only being able to put up 180x10....but at least sh*ts coming back nice and fast, 220x5 this week. Woooo...though this time around im focusing much more on the form of each exercise, none of this arching back crap, and im really focusing on strengthening my core.
    Way to go!!! How the heck are you doing squats after 2 months? I hope mine recovery goes that well. I start light duty at work (no gun belt, thank god) next week. I'm looking for about 2 months until I am back on patrol.

Way to go!!! How the heck are you doing squats after 2 months? I hope mine recovery goes that well. I start light duty at work (no gun belt, thank god) next week. I'm looking for about 2 months until I am back on patrol.
    Yeah, im just really happy recovery was fast...from what ive seen recovery from a mico can vary sooo damn much. Some people say they are fine within a month, others say they still have pain a year later...guess i just got lucky

Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50) Muscle_Sliver will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    subscribing

Originally Posted by Downsey View Post
    Damn man, your moving right along.. good to go..just becareful..
    i started machines.. so far so good... irritated my IT band... so now i am working with that.. if it ain't one thing its another. LOL.. back is good.. however slip on my stairs on x-mas day.. it didn't feel to good. got on the inversion table right away for awhile then laid down for an hr or so.. nothings hurts to bad... but damn... it was close..
    still doing PT..going to try to play some raq-ball here this weekend..
    \Bigwitt

I'm on my two month mark as of next week, my back is feeling better (I can now jog for a couple seconds at a time). But I still can't lift my son up without it hurting (he's 35 pounds). I've been swimming and riding a bike as PT. The swimming is the best thing for it so far. Anybody know if heat wraps or ice packs help out when it starts hurting? I'm thinking it's the scar tissue because I don't have the shooting pain down my leg anymore.

tlovesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,
    This thread has been interesting reading. I had disc surgery 19 Nov 08 for my L4L5 and I'm having another disc surgery nest week for my C6C7. I had just started lifting when my back blew out. I want to get back on program asap. My husband thinks I should only lift very light weights but for high reps (like 50 to 100 reps). I'm hoping to get a referral from my surgeon for physical therapy so I can learn what moves I should avoid and also how I can strengthen my back. My recovery from the first surgery seems to be going well. My main problem now is I can't lift much with my left hand due to the pain radiating down from the herniated disc in my neck. Does anyone know about this surgery? The surgeon said he would be taking out the entire disc, then replacing it with donor bone and a metal plate.

Hey everyone, its been awhile i know.. sorry about that.. Just been really busy..Well about three weeks ago, i had a set back. was doing some back ext. with 70lbs and tweaked the hellout of my back.. It was bad. The wife had to help me out of bed... had pain in my si in my but.. thought for sure i herniated all over again.. so i ended up back in PT 3 times a week.. good news just pulled a muscle really good.. getting ready to go back to pt one time week next week. I am just worrying about cardio for right now..

As for the neck surgery isn't that a fusion?? take the weight lifting easy.. very light weights and high reps... trst me take it easy!!!!

Big Witt

I'm on my two month mark as of next week, my back is feeling better (I can now jog for a couple seconds at a time). But I still can't lift my son up without it hurting (he's 35 pounds). I've been swimming and riding a bike as PT. The swimming is the best thing for it so far. Anybody know if heat wraps or ice packs help out when it starts hurting? I'm thinking it's the scar tissue because I don't have the shooting pain down my leg anymore.
    Bio-freeze and ICE seem to be the cure for me. also i have been using a inversion table twice a day, and boy have i notice a difference...
    BigWitt

agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) agsuper has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by bigwitt View Post
    Hey everyone, its been awhile i know.. sorry about that.. Just been really busy..Well about three weeks ago, i had a set back. was doing some back ext. with 70lbs and tweaked the hellout of my back.. It was bad. The wife had to help me out of bed... had pain in my si in my but.. thought for sure i herniated all over again.. so i ended up back in PT 3 times a week.. good news just pulled a muscle really good.. getting ready to go back to pt one time week next week. I am just worrying about cardio for right now..

As for the neck surgery isn't that a fusion?? take the weight lifting easy.. very light weights and high reps... trst me take it easy!!!!

Big Witt
    Are you still doing high reps lower weight? I did for a few months and then progressed to higher weight. Just curious.

byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) byrnebv has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Everyone who has had this surgery, or for those that will end up on the table, post-op, take it slow. Very slow. It was described to me that when a herniation is cut out, there is nothing left but a hole in the disk. Nothing is placed over the cut-out portion to add stability or strength. It is there to pretty much ooze or herniate if you bend, lift, etc the wrong way. It take several weeks for the disk to scar over and add stability to the disk. Walking is fine. Nothing more for six to eight weeks. Always run your training ideas by the doc before you begin doing or adding something to your rehab.
    I've heard of re-herniations withing a few weeks to a couple of months from over doing it. Hell, I've heard a couple of re-herniations within 2 to 5 days!
    I know it is tough staying from the gym, but you have to do it. Think of the pain you were in pre-op. Do you want to go through that sh*t again?

Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Loose Nut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I know this thread is pretty much dead, but I just wanted to say that it has really helped me. I had surgery on my L4/L5 just over a month ago and reading this thread has been very helpful.

I have been taking it a lot easier then you guys though! I pretty much lived on the couch for the first three weeks. I had four weeks off work and now that I am back at work this week I am taking it real easy.

I'm only walking for about 30 mins a day and stationary bike for about 10 minutes a day. I'm not even going to think about weights for months! Just thinking of picking up a dumbbell hurts my back!
    Australia's second biggest Packers fan!
    >>Aussie Supp Misc Family<<

TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So boy has a bunch changed in the 5 months since my initial "hamstring tear" got an MRI, found out i had three lumbar herniations. The only one killing me is the l5/s1 , which shows it's now extruded out a full 12 mm...it got larger from the initial 8 mm.
    I also found out i'm expecting so want to get this surgery done with ASAP.
    I meet with my neurosurgeon this wednesday and will schedule hopefully for that week or the following week.

this thread and a bunch of research has made me want to go through with it. I miss working out so bad. i plan to take it easy for the first three months, then when I feel ready go to a coach and learn how to lift properly..and again TAKE IT EASY! geesh!

I'd love to deadlift again...but we'll see.