Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    CkretNgredient has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks like this thread is pretty dead. Hopefully that means nobody else is getting this stupid injury. But, just in case there are unfortunate others, I will keep it open and posting updates.

Last time my extension was at -15 degrees. As of two days ago, I am now at -4 degrees. I am progressing very quickly. I still feel some tightness, especially in the morning. Also I feel it in the cold weather as well as rainy days. To counter that some I have been wearing a compression sleeve under my collar shirt.

For about a month after the surgery, I could not flex my bicep at all. My surgical wound is on the outside of my bicep. From other posts, it seems the tricep was the popular location. Why mine was there, I dunno. Anyways, I was unable to flex for a while. I have slowly been able to flex my muscle, however the area around the wound doesn't flex much at all. So I have been using a squeeze ball periodically throughout the day. It is a little painful at times, especially if my arm is extended, but I have noticed some improvement.

I will be going back to the doctor for an x-ray and post 3 month consultation. I feel nowhere near gym-ready. I can do daily stuff with my arm, but lifting is a no go. I am hoping that once I get full ROM back, it will just be the matter of the bone healing enough and getting the muscle back into working order.
    Friends don't let friends arm wrestle. 10lbs of muscle, gone but not forgotten

March 1st: Goal to get back into the gym.

Quick update:

Went in for my 3-month checkup. Doc says union is coming along nicely. Also I can begin low intensity training. I haven't gone to the gym yet, mostly I am just doing stuff at my place - squeeze ball, low weight bicep curls, low weight tricep kickbacks, things like that. It's amazing just how much weaker my bad arm is as I am struggling with such low weight and volume. I guess all I can do is improve.

My physical therapy came to an end. Unfortunately I stopped at about minus 3 degrees extension. That was about two weeks ago. I feel like I am at zero, but it's hard to tell without the compass thingy they were using.

It's about 14 weeks post-op and I still feel tightness, especially around the elbow and especially in the morning. Hopefully that will get better over time.

I measured my arms for the first time in a while. My injured arm is a full inch smaller than my left. I was totally shocked! I think I lost most of that in my tricep. Hopefully my arms will even out over time.

The fact that nobody else is posting in this thread hopefully means that nobody else is going through the same thing. I will continue to post updates every so often just in case.

coreypattakos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Well..

This happened to me Friday (2-13-2025) just 4 days ago. On my damn birthday.

Was in the best shape of my life always was a skinny kid (125 pounds) and currently am 170 with 7% body fat.

But I had to break my damn arm arm wrestling a big dude, I won the wrestle with my right arm since I'm right handed but I broke my left!

We ended up doing surgery that involved a plate and screws. Thankfully I had no nerve damage and he said the healing would be much faster less pain for long term.

It's 4 days out out of surgery and I can start moving it up above my heart, left and right about 40 degrees my wrist I can move perfectly without pain I just have a fat hand they said it's commin from the surgery.

Does anyone know how strong the plate and screw is? Like it's not likely it will just come un done will it?
    Also it's nice to see others who got though this it's hard not going to the gym):

Did they tell anyone they can remove the wrap after 3 days? Mines suppose to bf removed today but they said the staples will be taken out in 2 weeks.
    Is mine just not that bad?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your injury. It seems to be pretty common, more common than I thought it would be.

I myself am about 4 months post surgery. Regained just about all ROM, minus 5 degrees extension - I may never get it back. Also I have minimal nerve damage.

Try moving your arm as much as the doctors say you can. I made the mistake of not doing so (living in Japan and not being able to speak fluently). I think a lot of my ROM problems came from not moving due to fear of re-injuring.

As far as I know, the plates and screws are fairly strong, at least strong enough to continue lifting. Just remember that feeling ok and being ok are not always the same. Don't push yourself.

I don't know what to say about the wrap because I had mine on for about 2 weeks. I didn't get staples, instead I got surgical glue. Which was weird because my scar is more than 10cm. I had thought it could only be used for smaller openings. However I have had no problems with it.

Well, I had my 4-month X-ray and evaluation the other day. Doc says the union is "very good".
    However I still don't have full ROM yet. I am really close, maybe about minus 3 degrees, which may not seem like much, but I can't fully activate my tricep yet due to the lack of full extension. I worry I may never get full ROM again as no progress has been made in about a month.

I am still feeling random moments of discomfort and quick shots of pain. I can't tell if it's from the bone or the muscle.
    I have started light lifting at home. Only about 5kg curls, kickbacks, etc. Anything more isn't possible yet. On two separate occasions my elbow popped and OMG did it hurt. One of my buds who went through a similar injury said "the mental recovery is going to be a lot worse than the physical". I am starting to understand what he meant. I fear re-injuring my arm and setting myself even further back.

If anyone has advice on how to push through the mental side (safely), I would appreciate it.

A short update:

I did my first training since surgery. Mostly I just wanted to see how the arm felt, but I also did a short full-body circuit.
    It goes without saying that I am pretty weak.

But I managed to hit both biceps and triceps. I couldn't go all out or try a wide variety of lifts.
    The only think I couldn't do was shoulders. I tried both raises and military press, both were a no-go. Hopefully it'll get easier or I can find replacements.

wrenchman69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys

Same situation as most of you all .i broke my humorous in a car crash .plate and 8 screws .I was just wondering how Manny off you guy have removed your plates and screws after the bone has healed .I'm sereously contaminating it .

And for the guys who haven't removed the plates ..HAVE you guys eventually got back to lifting the same or heavier than pre- break .?

Lightning317 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Same story here. Fractured my humerus arm wrestling a month ago. Surgery, plate and screws, stitches, the works.

I can now mobilize my arm and have no loss of ROM or nerve damage but the scar is really bothering me. I'll probably get a tat to cover it up at some stage.

How's everyone else's scars looking after a year or more? Do people notice?

Celophane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi guys.. first of all sorry for my english, i'm french but there's no many tread like this one in my country..
    This thread is so horrible, each time someone is posting there we already know whats happened...

This ****ing arm wrestle which will let me this scar for the rest of my life...
    Cant go to the gym too, i was at the top of my shape after no progression during one year it finally goes on..

Still 50 to my arm, the operation was 7 weeks ago, i really need some help to know when i will get it back 100%

My doc told me there is a big risk to remove the plate with the radial, how is it possible to find a solution : keep the plate or take a risk to lost your arm..

I feel so depressiv need some help from old guys with some news please

shaohk1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So nice to see many people sharing their fracture experience here (dont take me wrong)

The favorable prognosis have calm me down a bit..

I was searching up net and trying to make sure im not the only one did the stupidiest ever arm wrestle thing and break my own arm, this post reassured me abit that im likely being able to lift again.

The story happens like this
    I broke my arm with a mate in Fiji on 5th August, first the arm was floppy, without any pain, extreme pain comes about a minute later, I rushed into emergency department of the local hospital, before the A&E doctors able to treat me, one orthopedic surgeon manipulated my arm with flexion and extension, of course, i beared extreme pain. I dont know if this is related to the radial nerve palsy developed later or no..but i guess the first management was inappropriate..

so, yeah,later i was managed by the emergency doctors, they gave me a dose a catemine for pain relief, tbh, as a good child, i never tried such, but it was f**king awesome. yeah, so they reduced my arm, put a cast on, rest me on the bed. The story on the bed just like everyone else, goddamn pain when i trynna move the arm, bones (originally-bone) clicking each other, cant even get up and piss, etc, etc..

Then, I saw my funny xray, it was a hardcore spiral fracture, to me, it seems to me that local orthopedics are unable to handle it.
    I took a flight back to Taiwan, got surgery 2 weeks later (25th aug, because the first surgeon says i dont need a surgery, then i was referred to another upper limb orthopedics), had an ORIF with a plate and 9 funny screws. My surgeon was quite confident about his skills, he didnt put my arm in a cast but a functional brace. First time I saw my arm I was freaked out, it atrophied to half its size, literally half(I wasnt big, just being training for 2 years, satisfying being able to bench 110kg at 70kg), and of course i cant do anything about it..

now proceeding to the 3 rd week post-surgery, arm seems fine, scar looks pretty, small and nice except little pus coming...
    -pain relieved, hearing bones/joints clicking every now and then, sometimes i know its shoulder/elbow, sometimes im suspecting if screws being loose, but unlikely....(because Taiwans medical thing pretty advanced, or my surgeon seems brilliant)
    -bone union gonna take a Xray next week
    -arm unable to fully extend, about 10 degrees left to lock out
    -radial palsy persist, although brachioradialis is functional atm(innervated by radial nerve), yet im really worry about it, doctor told me my nerve was right in between my bone fragments(was in 3 pieces), lucky not crushed, it was neuropraxia, he called it. 90% expected to recover in 3-5 months(what if im those 10%...)
    -only training being asking my skinny cousin sitting on me and donkey squat a few reps(my 3 plates squat quads atrophying too..)

so this is what happened so far, ill keep update here, for those unfortunate one to read(of us...)
    im hoping full functional returns, and start gymming in time

happy recovery

#if my friends reading this from fiji and seems famaliar, yes, this is me lol

Registered User ChiranjoyLangth's Avatar
    ChiranjoyLangth is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Broke my arm 3 weeks ago in arm wrestling....i was not interested in arm wrestling at all...but this ****ing stupid friend of mine always approach me to arm wrestle to check how much strengh i hv gained after going to gym.i always ignored it..but that evening he asked me to arm wrestle with another friend of mine who was a bit weaker than him...i accepted it..dat was the worst mistake of my life....i broke my left humerus...thankfully it was left.....or else i wudnot be able to appear my exams as it was during exams...i missed one exam but on the 3rd day after the break i had my surgery...they used plate and screws...its been 3 weeks now...due to exams i cudnot visit the doctor as i was in a different city for my studies which i was supposed to after 2 weeks.....i m 23 years now and i just want to know if i wud be able to go back to gym again after a year ???? I m depressed dat i cant go to the gym as it is the only thing i hv ever liked in my life other than my best buddy Dpjun....presently i really need to be in contact wid someone who went through the same phase in his life i.e humerus break.....if someone wud share his watsapp no..den i wud be very very happy and thankful who wud give me some idea about going to gym after humerus break...
    Last edited by ChiranjoyLangth; 12-19-2016 at 07:41 AM.

Jezekah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok guys so would you recommend natural healing or surgery?ive read all of these and there are ups and downs to both but this is a hard decision due to healing time and pro and cons of each ... any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Only 2 days out from break

methodsco is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey guys, appreciate everyone sharing their stories here, it has been comforting to read when in a similar situation. I wasnt sure if I should make a new thread or post here (as this is quite a dated bump now) but here goes.

Like a lot of the posters in this thread I broke my arm while arm wrestling. A spiral humerus fracture that required me to travel home from Sweden to the UK and get surgery on it, a plate and screws. The break was on June 18th, 2016 and I had the surgery a few days later.

It has now been approx. 8 months since surgery (~32 weeks) and I still have issues with the arm. Everyday life is for the most part fine, however if I extend the arm and push down with pressure I can feel a bit of stress pain near the elbow this is primarily noticeable when lifting for example a shopping bag at an extended reach or putting the arm across the body when in the shower and washing the opposite arm (maybe a silly example but its one I notice daily!). The gym is still not great. Prior to breaking the arm I was at a relatively strong point (benching 150kg 1rpm, Im 6ft3 120kg). I have since lost a lot of strength and now when I put pressure on the arm during tricep/chest related exercises I often feel stress related pain (even at 60kg on bench). This is true for the likes of push ups and also other exercises such as bicep curls, while I can do them I feel stress pain in the arm.

Interested to hear what those in similar situations have done or what you guys would recommend I am probably going to visit a doctor in the next week or two and discuss as I feel the recovery in the arm should be more complete by now?

LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LaxinAround is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by methodsco View Post
    Hey guys, appreciate everyone sharing their stories here, it has been comforting to read when in a similar situation. I wasn’t sure if I should make a new thread or post here (as this is quite a dated bump now) but here goes.

Like a lot of the posters in this thread I broke my arm while arm wrestling. A spiral humerus fracture that required me to travel home from Sweden to the UK and get surgery on it, a plate and screws. The break was on June 18th, 2016 and I had the surgery a few days later.

It has now been approx. 8 months since surgery (~32 weeks) and I still have issues with the arm. Everyday life is for the most part fine, however if I extend the arm and push down with pressure I can feel a bit of stress pain near the elbow – this is primarily noticeable when lifting for example a shopping bag at an extended reach or putting the arm across the body when in the shower and washing the opposite arm (maybe a silly example but it’s one I notice daily!). The gym is still not great. Prior to breaking the arm I was at a relatively strong point (benching 150kg 1rpm, I’m 6ft3 120kg). I have since lost a lot of strength and now when I put pressure on the arm during tricep/chest related exercises I often feel stress related pain (even at 60kg on bench). This is true for the likes of push ups and also other exercises such as bicep curls, while I can do them I feel stress pain in the arm.

Interested to hear what those in similar situations have done or what you guys would recommend – I am probably going to visit a doctor in the next week or two and discuss as I feel the recovery in the arm should be more complete by now?
    It's just gonna take more time. I'm 4 years out now and still get some slight pain in my elbow when I bench.

Originally Posted by LaxinAround View Post
    It's just gonna take more time. I'm 4 years out now and still get some slight pain in my elbow when I bench.
    Cheers for the response. The 'stress' pain I am feeling in the arm 8 months after surgery is normal and nothing to be concerned about?

wilsons88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wilsons88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cheers for the response. The 'stress' pain I am feeling in the arm 8 months after surgery is normal and nothing to be concerned about?
    my man sco, this is one of ur amigos from twitch, Spinecloud.
    I'd be curious if your continuing pain is a result of scar tissue. I myself being into bodybuilding and now approaching 30 years old, I've noticed areas that ache/nag at me a bit tend to have a bit of scar tissue. Scar tissue is not very flexible, and sometimes the pain we feel is because of how stiff it is. Ways of minimizing scar tissue, various forms of massage, ultrasound, cold laser treatment. You could actually try some lightweight massage on the muscle yourself, and see if there's improvement. A foam roller too is an idea, rolling your arm against the roll, which is basically massage.

Another route of course is doing xrays and seeing if there's anything amiss. I would think logically physical therapy is the route you're going to end up going down.

Good doctors, top of their field in athletic recovery, can do amazing things. Here in Los Angeles for example I could recommend you some great people, but you obviously don't live here. Wonder if you could reach out to any Scottish bodybuilders on instagram for ex. I bet especially those powerlifters who are in their 30s or 40s, have amazing contacts in physical therapy.

Wish you the best of luck on your journey of recovery. Keep us updated! And train smart!

I would venture to say what you're experiencing, after such a severe change in the body like that, is the norm honestly.
    Last edited by wilsons88; 02-27-2017 at 11:52 AM.

oglynch89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post SOL story

Will share my story with use. Over a year ago I decided to get in shape to went to the gym hard for 8 9 months. So one day in work we were having a charity event and arm wrestling was one of the events. Was put forward and was arm wrestling a guy and about 10 15 seconds into it all I hear is a CRACK. Look down arm is flailing about and I can't stop it. So into hospital spent a week in it. Operation on left upper humerus needed as badly broke. Two plates in plus numerous screws. Pain after the operation was worse than breaking it. In half cast for two weeks then just a sling. Struggled with movement but 11 weeks post op now no nerve damage but still can't get the arm fully straight or touch my shoulder about 10 to 15 degrees away on both. Apart from that no issues with movement.On the gym no idea if I will ever get fully back into it. My questions are this will I ever get it fully straight again and wen I go to bench my left shoulder compensates by coming out further to make it level. Will this every get sorted cause I know if I persist with this down the line my shoulder will affect me.

darthbuilder is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bucknut22 View Post
    Just checkin in on this thread... cant believe how many people here are going through what I went through, at the time I thought I was the only person... People are still amazed when I tell them i broke my arm by arm wrestling!

Im just as strong as I was pre break, and I had to have the surgery, radial nerve palsy, etc. I am very thankful that i have recovered the way I have (2 months off after surgery, been on the road to normal lifting immediately afterwards).

It takes ALOT of patience and dedication, but all of you will get back, hopefully surpass where you were before, good luck to everyone!
    Its been 4 months since my hunerus surgery. The nerve palsy came after the surgery and i still can’t see good progress on the nerve palsy. Can you tell how long it is gonna take to recover from wrist drop. Also what exercises or physiotherapy did u do and in how much time did u fully recover from the palsy

Hey guys, appreciate everyone sharing their stories here, it has been comforting to read when in a similar situation. I wasn�t sure if I should make a new thread or post here (as this is quite a dated bump now) but here goes.

It has now been approx. 8 months since surgery (~32 weeks) and I still have issues with the arm. Everyday life is for the most part fine, however if I extend the arm and push down with pressure I can feel a bit of stress pain near the elbow � this is primarily noticeable when lifting for example a shopping bag at an extended reach or putting the arm across the body when in the shower and washing the opposite arm (maybe a silly example but it�s one I notice daily!). The gym is still not great. Prior to breaking the arm I was at a relatively strong point (benching 150kg 1rpm, I�m 6ft3 120kg). I have since lost a lot of strength and now when I put pressure on the arm during tricep/chest related exercises I often feel stress related pain (even at 60kg on bench). This is true for the likes of push ups and also other exercises such as bicep curls, while I can do them I feel stress pain in the arm.

Interested to hear what those in similar situations have done or what you guys would recommend � I am probably going to visit a doctor in the next week or two and discuss as I feel the recovery in the arm should be more complete by now?
    Hey guys, wanted to provide an update here for my story. I decided to go and visit the doctor shortly after making this post (March 2017) and explain the problems I had, they referred me to the NHS hospital waiting list to see the same surgeon that had operated on my arm and put the plate and screws in. Long story short this waiting list ended up being delayed massively, what started at 6 months, became 9 months and then 11 months at which point when they told me it might be another 2-3 months still I decided to investigate the private medical route (this was now Feb 2018). I discovered that the same surgeon that operated on my arm on the NHS was also available at my local private hospital and by paying approx. £300 I was able to see him within a week and get an X-ray done too. The X-ray didn’t show anything wrong with the plate or screws that would be causing me issues. However, I was quite determined to have the plate and screws removed as my final step in the process of elimination to trying to fix my arm (I had already tried seeing a muscle specialist and physiotherapist) and so had a long talk with the surgeon. Generally, the surgeon wasn’t very keen to do the operation and suggested that as it wasn’t causing me much everyday problems that it might be best to just go on as is, as with every surgery the benefits versus the risks had to be weighed up. The risks presented to me were along the lines of;
    1% severe blood loss during surgery (standard)
    1% infection post-surgery (standard?)
    1% they might damage the radial never, worst case severing it – was told that it looked quite similar to the surrounding scar tissue so they would need to be careful. This was the main risk that I was concerned about, as mentioned several times in this thread this radial nerve has a lot to do with your wrist/hand movement. If they severed it, I may never properly recover full strength in my right hand/wrist and the process of recovery could take extremely long.
    Possibly a 1/5 chance that when they opened up the arm the plate/screws would be too welded to the bone that removing it would be too much of a risk/cause too much damage and they wouldn’t be able to do it.
    And finally a big factor was that even when they took the plate and screws out it might not actually solve the issues/pain I was having with the arm because as mentioned there was nothing shown via the X-rays that would suggest it should be causing me problems.

I decided to go ahead with the surgery and I got it done on mid-May. Thankfully the surgery was a complete success, the plate and screws were fully removed with no damage to the radial nerve and with a standard moderate amount of scar tissue. Recovery time was much quicker than when I broke the arm, I could feel the arm getting stronger daily over the course of the next 2 weeks. It has been approx. 2 months since my surgery now and I have been getting back into the gym the last 2-3 weeks. I have slowly been building my strength back up, and I can say with certainty that a large portion of the pain is no longer present in the arm, let’s call that the “stress” pain. The “stress” pain that I had before was very noticeable when doing exercises like push ups or bench press (especially the lift off), any triceps exercise, side lateral raises or generally any exercise that put a lot of pressure on the arm in general – think dips or chin ups too. That “stress” pain is gone as far as I can tell at this point, I was even able to do body weight tricep dips the other day and not feel pain – was a great feeling. That being said I do still have some pain behind the elbow specifically, this is very present when doing one of my old favourite exercises dumb bell tricep skull crushers, or EZ Bar behind the head tricep related exercises – I think it is probably from bending the arm past ~90 degrees but I am still trying to figure out there exactly what is up. I have tried googling it a bit and most searches come up with Tricep Tendonitis. I am still able to do dips and close grip bench to train triceps that doesn’t cause the pain nearly as much, but dumb bell skullcrushers are giving me a pretty intense pain.

I will provide another update if the situation changes or if I find out what’s up. At this point I feel very lucky though that the surgery was an overall success.

bigyukonadam is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Broken Elbow

7 months ago I destroyed my arm falling ten feet. It was broken in 5 places. Like many of you I am a avid lifter and was very scared. The humerus was poking through my skin so I had surgery right away that lasted 7 hours. My ROM three weeks later was maybe 20 degrees and my arm had zero muscle left. I am left with 36 screws and six plates in my arm that will stay there. I was relieved to read all these experiences and it gave me the strength to fight. I was on a treadmill three days post OP, and began abs, and legs, as well. ROM is back when therapists said it couldn't be done. For me, going to therapy 3 days a week for 7 months and wearing flexion braces 6 hours a day did the trick. Dry needling, painful tissue massage, and getting scraped with those flat metal bars took care of all the scar tissue.

recoverydude is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello Guys,

I would just like to hear of anyone's experience in recovery from an arm wrestling fracture. I suffered one a few years ago and have never regained full strength. I got a spiral fracture above the elbow joint and did not get any plate. Basically i would like to know if anyone has experienced soft tissue damage as well as the bone fracture i.e. damaged cartilage, broken tendons in shoulder, elbow or wrist. Actually any wrist injuries as a result also?

thanks

Johnathan673 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weight lifting

Originally Posted by LaxinAround View Post
    Do you get any sharp pain in your humerus area at any given time ? I'm 24 weeks out since my fracture and surgery. My arm is fully recovered. Only pain I get is a bit of sharp pain during pressing movements. But everything else is fine.