Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    labelexec has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs down

I broke my humerus back in March 2009 and have had five subsequent surgeries because of doctor negligence. The first doctor was negligent and cause the place screws to break away from my arm. I went to a second doctor to repair their first doctor's mistake. And the second doctor cause nerve damage by entrapping my radial nerve between the plate and my bone. That caused me to be unable to lift my wrist or open my fingers on my left hand. I had to have muscle and tendon transfer surgery as well as radial nerve transplant surgery. And I still won't know if I will get complete use of my hand until nine months to a year from now. I'm a software developer and I use my hands to type in code. I used to type 120 words a minute. Now I type 9 words per minute.

My first doctor abruptly closed his practice and disappeared. But luckily my attorneys were able to find him so that we can sue him for malpractice.

You can see my horror story at my website howdoctorsruinedmylife dot com. if any of you readers are from California please sign my petition so that I can write initiative to put on the ballot that requires doctors to have my practice insurance. Currently California law is not require doctors to have malpractice insurance nor does it require hospitals to check if doctors are covered on the day they use their facility. There is no law that makes the hospital liable for their doctor's negligence.

why is it that we are required to have car insurance but doctors are not required to have malpractice insurance when they have our lives in their hands? If I borrowed your car and got into an accident and killed someone, both you and the car owner would be liable. Yet in the situation of the doctors and hospitals, hospitals are not liable.

In 1975 California passed a law called MICRA to limit pain and suffering payments to no more than $250,000. Their reasoning was to lower the insurance premiums for doctors. Why pass a law to lower malpractice insurance premiums for doctors when you don't require doctors to have malpractice insurance?

I want to write initiative that overturn this law as well as at other stipulations that requires doctors to carry a minimum amount of malpractice insurance as well as make hospitals liable if they have not verified the doctors malpractice insurance is current on the day of surgery.

2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I broke my right arm humerus in Oct 2007.

The doctor gave me the okay for light weight training in February 2008.

But the confidence is only coming now - and I am now going to a gym again only since Dec 2009.

Not being able to lift or workout the way I did before was the reason I kept putting it off and concentrated on other things such as career and my own web-magazine.

Now when I have a new left knee problem (water-in-knee), I decided that I am going to work around the problem and use the free sessions with the physiotherapist I have at Gold's Gym here.

I too look bigger now - not muscle but unwanted fat - about 10 kilos I have gained and I need to shed it without serious cardio (left knee ), so I am training better actually since I am :
    * Precise
    * Careful
    * Patience with my body
    * Determination
    * with personal trainer
    * doctor and physiotherapist too

And it feels good, even though at times it is very depressing to see the guys and even gals pushing and pulling with those weights and flying with the treadmills....

FOCUS - my goal is first to improve and recover and then think of new targets every month, week and day.

I look forward to going to gym everyday - just to know, every minute matters and it does in a spiritual sense too.
    http://www.FreedomFiction.com

2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2write is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Fedorov999 View Post
    13+ months for me now (thanks for advice above Bucknut) and on Wednesday in the gym I conquered my latest goal which was to be able to hold the pull-up bars and just take my feet OFF the floor and hang for a few seconds - pretty scary letting my body weight pull on my arm like that but I've done it!!!

I avoid free weights and free hand exercises even now - which is 2 years since my right arm humerus fracture.

I do very light weights for free-weights

Regaining through the machines and then will attempt the big goals soon.

Fedorov999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Labelexec - man that's bad, almost makes mine seem a lot better. As a software developer myself I know exactly how it feels to lose the use of the hand and fingers for 6 months. I count myself very fortunate that I regained it so quickly down to hard work and determination in my case.

My strength is finally what I would class as "usable" after 14 months, at least to the point where I can lift a chair and do most normal things.
    The worst part, and I know Labelexec will know what I am talking about is the nerve damage, even now with this reasonable strength I have I can stretch my arm out in front of me to grab a drink or a tissue and get the most excruciating pain shoot through my arm.

My main problem area is just above the elbow where I know the plate ends, feels like the nerve just catches on there sometimes - I'm just hoping, given even more time and patience that it settles down as my arm continues to recover slowly and strengthen.

Most people are still shocked when they hear of how breaking this bone has caused so much longer term damage and daily pain issues...

Anyway, Merry Xmas to you all, keep your chins ups, there is light at the end of the tunnel somewhere, not having a hand to use last xmas I certainly made up for it today being able to rip open all those presents!!!

Fedorov.

skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skitd103 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just wanted to let everyone in here know that you're stories are truly inspiring and it helps me realize how lucky I am to have not had a serious injury. I believe that each one of you will be able to overcome the struggles that have set you back. This is why I want to go into Physical Therapy, because I think it's amazing how people overcome physical setbacks like this with strong willpower. Merry Christmas everyone! Keep your heads up!

Thanks for the kind words Skitd103.

May I wish everyone in here all the very best for 2010 with their injuries and recovery, keep up the hard work it will pay off.

stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ddd

mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by stathis723 View Post
    ddd
    Sorry I never posted that shoulder blaster thing, My scanner wouldn't work that night then I forgot about it and my gf threw it away. Anyways hows your arm?

I've been back working out and I'm up to benching around 150 for a max set of 5, squatting for 270 for a max set of 5, and deadlifting 295 for a max set of 5. Everything feels good, and I know bench will come along the slowest.
    There is no need to be upset

stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) stathis723 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mm55 View Post
    Sorry I never posted that shoulder blaster thing, My scanner wouldn't work that night then I forgot about it and my gf threw it away. Anyways hows your arm?

I've been back working out and I'm up to benching around 150 for a max set of 5, squatting for 270 for a max set of 5, and deadlifting 295 for a max set of 5. Everything feels good, and I know bench will come along the slowest.
    i havnt worked out yet, im gonna call my doc tomorrow since it will be 6 months since i broke it... he told me i should w8 6 months so i did.. i guess im gonna start working out from now on

bro do u started working out strong and intense again? i dont know how to start working out.... how it is feeling? is ur bench getting stronger fast?... every single person in that thread says that cannot bench too much and i cannot understand the reason

mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mm55 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    i havnt worked out yet, im gonna call my doc tomorrow since it will be 6 months since i broke it... he told me i should w8 6 months so i did.. i guess im gonna start working out from now on
    Yeah it seems like you should be good to go.

bro do u started working out strong and intense again? i dont know how to start working out.... how it is feeling? is ur bench getting stronger fast?... every single person in that thread says that cannot bench too much and i cannot understand the reason
    Yeah man I don't know, I started off benching like 45-50 lbs, but its shot up now I'm at 160. It feels fine, like I could do more even. Deadlifting feels awesome, just did a final set of 305x5 the other day and it felt great holding that weight up. I don't know at first I had some pain benching, but I just kept doing it and now I don't feel anymore pain. Your break I guess was more severe. It's been 4 and 1/2 months from the break and I'm feeling like I'm almost all the way back. My doc said it wouldn't be fully healed and perfect til like feb-march, but it feels really good right now.

Well if your latest x-ray shows that the bone has fused to remove any trace of a fracture (other than the existence of steel plates/ rods of course) then you can try.

For my humerus fracture the muscle and skin in the tricep region from top to bottom had to be cut by the surgeon to get to the bone and fix it.

So of course the muscle needs as much time to heal/recover as the bone I think.

15 months on and I'm now waiting to see a consultant I saw last year for a 2nd opinion - the pain of this nerve being trapped is just too much to handle on a daily basis now.

I'm in the catch22 situation though - if surgery to release compression on my nerves is the only option, do I take such a huge risk after losing the use of my wrist/hand/fingers for 6 months with the initial fracture???!!!
    I couldn't face losing my hand again, or worse, something going more wrong inside my arm and losing what I've spent 15 months trying to regain..... not a good situation at the moment

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Fedorov999 View Post
    15 months on and I'm now waiting to see a consultant I saw last year for a 2nd opinion - the pain of this nerve being trapped is just too much to handle on a daily basis now.

I'm in the catch22 situation though - if surgery to release compression on my nerves is the only option, do I take such a huge risk after losing the use of my wrist/hand/fingers for 6 months with the initial fracture???!!!
    I couldn't face losing my hand again, or worse, something going more wrong inside my arm and losing what I've spent 15 months trying to regain..... not a good situation at the moment
    I dunno brah hopefully you get some better news. Sorry to hear all this trouble you're having, one of the reasons I feel so fortunate I didn't need that surgery. Good luck.

Truthdevoid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So it's been almost a year now since the break. I still have some pain in my elbow when doing certain exercises. I avoid benching with a bar completely due to pain; I just stick to dumbells, but even then i get pain if i fully extend with weight on it. My arm is a still a little weaker than the other, but most strength has returned. It's still a bit shakey when holding weight though. Doesn't seem to have the stability as my other arm. As for size, my forarm is still substantially smaller than my good arm. My upper tricep appears almost normal, but like i stated earlier, right above the elbow is completely flat. There appears to be no muscle there at all. I assume it's from the surgery when they separated the muscle, they shifted it and now it just doesn't lay there anymore. I have virtually no numbness anymore. I'm just hoping this mysterious pain in the elbow subsides so i can workout like I used to. I hate having to work around it through my routine. Good to hear ya'll are recovering well. Just hang in there. Some days it can be so frustrating but all you can do is just work with it and hopefully one day it'll be 100% normal again.

Got asked by my consultant to go for an x-ray today due to the severe pain I'm getting every day just above my elbow.

His registrar is happy the fracture has healed (main concern was I'd re-fractured it) but he thinks one of the 2 screws at the end of the metal plate near my elbow is what is coming through, hence why I feel like I'm being stabbed by a knife every day

Going to see my main consultant next week for a better assessment and see where we go from here - didn't want anyone ever going in my arm again but if I can just get rid of this horrendous pain I feel my arm will be so much better.

I played badminton last week and for the first time in 15 months had the best day of my life because it was the first time I've been able to hit the shuttlecock to the back of the court, felt really good that I was finally seeing a bit of power returning.

Wish me luck for next week, think I'll need it!!!

Seung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just kind of want to give my story here. It's been interesting reading everyone's stories so here's mine. Broke my humerus spiral fracture on Jan 16, 2009. I was wearing a plastic brace up until July 17, 2009 with no surgery required. I could hardly extend my shoulder or my elbow right. Through PT for 3 weeks I had full motion again.

About a month later I saw my doctor and he let me know that I could lift up to 25 pounds up to Sept 16. Up to 50 pounds until Oct, 16. From Dec 16 onward I could lift whatever I wanted. But I didn't lift anything at all up until Jan 6, 2010. So far I've been able to do everything like I used to just in much smaller weight. I can dumb bell bench 30 pounds 15 times with my left arm (the injured one). I am also doing push-ups and I feel completely normal. No pain whatsoever. I go back for more x-rays on Feb, 3, 2010. If my doctor gives the go-ahead that I can do heavy weight (I just want to be completely sure) I'll start lifting heavy through benching and etc. I'll keep you guys updated if you wish to hear the news from my doctor.

bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bucknut22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just checkin in on this thread... cant believe how many people here are going through what I went through, at the time I thought I was the only person... People are still amazed when I tell them i broke my arm by arm wrestling!

Im just as strong as I was pre break, and I had to have the surgery, radial nerve palsy, etc. I am very thankful that i have recovered the way I have (2 months off after surgery, been on the road to normal lifting immediately afterwards).

It takes ALOT of patience and dedication, but all of you will get back, hopefully surpass where you were before, good luck to everyone!

15 months later and today I'm back in a plaster cast, 1-2 weeks complete rest to see if it helps to settle down this severely painful spot above my elbow...

Just an update on my injury. I saw the doctor on Feb 3. He showed me the x-rays and said they are looking extremly good. I no longer have to see him

I was told I can basically do whatever I want. I'm going to start lifting weights again to try to get back to my original strength and size from before the injury. I'm going to take it slow though just to get my arm used to weights again.

I'll post updates with my weight lifting progress later on.

it was my first day today, i actually felt good... i though i would be much weaker... 132 pounds for 8 reps on the bench after almost 7 months... i feel it moving up fast

it was my first day today, i actually felt good... i though i would be much weaker... 132 pounds for 8 reps on the bench after almost 7 months... i feel it moving up fast
    Nice dude, mine is coming along like tremendous. I'm up to benching sets of 5-8 with around 200, and deadlifted 405 for a double the other day!

It felt great to hold 405 in my arms and not feel anything in the bad arm. I think I'm pretty much healed. I thought my healing took long but compared to everyone else in here it was really short. Hope all you guys heal up well and can get back to lifting.

Originally Posted by mm55 View Post
    Nice dude, mine is coming along like tremendous. I'm up to benching sets of 5-8 with around 200, and deadlifted 405 for a double the other day!

It felt great to hold 405 in my arms and not feel anything in the bad arm. I think I'm pretty much healed. I thought my healing took long but compared to everyone else in here it was really short. Hope all you guys heal up well and can get back to lifting.
    i could have started 3 weeks a go but i couldnt afford the gym at the time... as for the weight, i think it will move up fast, i only felt weird in my shoulder but it was because of a small injury id 10 days a go playing basketball.. ill be fine

Wow.. awesome. We are pretty much even right now. Started benching again yesterday. A year and 1 month after the injury. I was able to do 135 pounds 6 times. I tried another set and only did one though from pain in my left shoulder (the injury side) most likely from not moving the arm for so long. Hoping to get to my previous max of 230 as soon as possible.

I'll keep updating as time goes on.
    Last edited by Seung; 02-12-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Originally Posted by Seung View Post
    Wow.. awesome. We are pretty much even right now. Started benching again yesterday. A year and 1 month after the injury. I was able to do 135 pounds 6 times. I tried another set and only did one though from pain in my left shoulder (the injury side) most likely from not moving the arm for so long. Hoping to get to my previous max of 230 as soon as possible.

I'll keep updating as time goes on.
    yea me too.. i did a stupid thing.. did some barbell curls not too intense but then picked some Heavy for now Dumbbels and took the **** out of my biceps, im in some serious pain and cant extend my arms lol... i hope they get better the next couple of days

See my consultant tomorrow, had 1 week in plaster, it took me another week just to get my pre-plaster movement back after only a week stuck in the thing!

The good news is that the severe pain has settled down, although it is very borderline. Still not doing any physio or weights at all, basically I've rested it completely for 4 weeks now, can play badminton and do bike rides pain-free.

My only problem is that this spot on my arm is still so tight and just feels so close to becoming inflammed again I feel as soon as I start trying to do more it will just irritate it and become painful again, basically my arm feels like it does not have room for that plate to be in there no more but the risks are too great to have it removed - see what happens after tomorrow I guess, going to request a scan so they can see more of what is going on around this tight area.

154 x 8 on the bench (6th chest wo), feeling something weird in the front of my shoulder when i bench....

Generally the weight is going up really fast though im a little worried because i got some pain in my back specially when i flex and i dont know what it is, and also when benching my shoulder feels weird, i think ill go to my doctor mostly to check out that spot in my back that hurts a little bit.. its not anoying but ive to know what it is...

154 x 8 on the bench (6th chest wo), feeling something weird in the front of my shoulder when i bench....

Generally the weight is going up really fast though im a little worried because i got some pain in my back specially when i flex and i dont know what it is, and also when benching my shoulder feels weird, i think ill go to my doctor mostly to check out that spot in my back that hurts a little bit.. its not anoying but ive to know what it is...
    1 week later, 22 more pounds x 4

1 week later, 22 more pounds x 4
    Good stuff man, yeah get that checked out. My arm definitely completely healed. The strength isn't all back yet but that will take time. Bench is up to around a 230x5.

Overhead presses are still pretty weak though.

Bringin' the Big Game BigGameJames's Avatar
    BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigGameJames is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For those with hardware installed, how was your range of motion...

1. 1 month from surgery?

2. 2 months from surgery?

3. 4 months from surgery?

4. 6 months from surgery?

5. 1 year from surgery?

How many months after surgery did you notice that the range of motion was as best as it could be?

BTW, when you were stretching your arm on extension, where did you feel the block? Was it on your bicep tendon or did you feel no tension and it just felt like the metal plate was preventing the full extension.
    Last edited by BigGameJames; 04-07-2010 at 10:36 PM.