Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    Esolo1017 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esolo1017 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esolo1017 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esolo1017 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esolo1017 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esolo1017 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Esolo1017 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am finishing up my ISSA certification now, as well as working on an ACE cert. I just recently met the owner of a new organization called the Academy of Applied Personal Training and his curriculum is outstanding I would recommend it to anyone

Absalom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Absalom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Absalom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Absalom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Absalom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Absalom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Absalom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Absalom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

The Best certification

I was seriously considering of becoming a personal trainer. I first ran in propta or personal trainers association. Does anyone know about this organization? Is it well known and reputable?

After reading all the comments, I'm thinking about going with ACSM and NSCA since no one mentioned propta, and ACSM and NSCA seems to be getting the nod. What do you guys think?

tjizsexi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

just curious

what is the cheapest and easiest to pass i agree with the guy who sed its more about marketing and keeping clients not the cert u have
    there can be only one...

justanathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

I got certified by PROPTA and I own a gym now in Ventura, it was an eye awakening, you get what you pay for. PROPTA is not cheap but it is the best, they apply business, practical and scientific lectures. The Academy was great for 6 weeks. like I said, you get what you pay for. PROPTA is also approved, accredited and recognized. do some home work before you start. I recommend it.

Registered User TooLateForRoses's Avatar
    TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000) TooLateForRoses is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Alright, I've been reading up on my stuff, and I would definitely like to become a trainer, but I have to make sure that it this point in time it would be in my best interest financially. I'm probably gonna go with NASM per recommendation of 2 local gym owners, but I wanna know how much I can expect to be making from the get go. I plan on starting out working at a commercial gym (Gold's or World most likely) until I can build up a private client base. Anyone know how much I should be expecting to make (ballpark) starting out?

mmcoutside44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need help plz!

I have been looking for a school in houston for 2 months know for the nasm cpt or any other good certifications. i have no luck in finding it i have found alot of crappy certs but nothin good in houston, any help is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mmcoutside44 View Post
    I have been looking for a school in houston for 2 months know for the nasm cpt or any other good certifications. i have no luck in finding it i have found alot of crappy certs but nothin good in houston, any help is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Most of them are national. You study at home and test somewhere near you. Try calling them directly. Usually the support people are extremely helpful.
    NASM CPT
    ISSA CFT

I do it because I can
    I can because I want to
    I want to because you say I can't

88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 88crxsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Quality thread! I'm in the process of studying for ACE. I spent hours doing research and everyone said one cert over the other. I feel reassured to see people think like I do. It's not the cert, but experience that makes a good trainer.
    "The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."

pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up You get what you pay for man...

Originally Posted by Fritz311 View Post
    can someone tell me why the NASM cert cost $600.....that seems like an awfull lot compared to some other ones. Im going to get certified in the next month or so, so i was just wondering. Also NASM said i needed to get CPR/AED certified, do the other certifications require this or not?
    Hands down NASM is the most practical cert out there. I have a hookup at that company so PM me if you like.

Big Paul
    NASM CPT, CES, PES
    Big Paul

NASM CPT
    NASM CES
    NASM PES
    ********: Results Training Systems
    "Manage the process, get the results!"

pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pph774 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking It's all you

Originally Posted by TooLateForRoses View Post
    Alright, I've been reading up on my stuff, and I would definitely like to become a trainer, but I have to make sure that it this point in time it would be in my best interest financially. I'm probably gonna go with NASM per recommendation of 2 local gym owners, but I wanna know how much I can expect to be making from the get go. I plan on starting out working at a commercial gym (Gold's or World most likely) until I can build up a private client base. Anyone know how much I should be expecting to make (ballpark) starting out?

Thats based on your sales skills bro. You gotta play the numbers game. The more people you show what you can do for them the more you can make. If you are on it in a gym like Gold's you should be able to make at least 1000 bucks a week. You gotta be able to sale and expect to have a monthly quota. Best of luck!
    Big Paul

NASM CPT
    NASM CES
    NASM PES

Question

Originally Posted by justanathlete View Post
    I got certified by PROPTA and I own a gym now in Ventura, it was an eye awakening, you get what you pay for. PROPTA is not cheap but it is the best, they apply business, practical and scientific lectures. The Academy was great for 6 weeks. like I said, you get what you pay for. PROPTA is also approved, accredited and recognized. do some home work before you start. I recommend it.
    Never heard of that one bro. What the web address?
    Big Paul

NASM CPT
    NASM CES
    NASM PES

alive has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

best certs....

Ok here is my HONEST thought on your question...I have been in this industry for a long time. And currently own a gym. I feel that Certs are good for the basic......understanding fundamentals of how the body, works, heals, adapts, I can go on and on, you get my drift, I currently employee 25 certified trainers and I must say all are very good, however I have a few that are not certified BUT.....are incredible trainers, Being certified does not mean "you are a good trainer" or for that matter have any concept of being a trainer. Mostly everything I have learned as a trainer in 20 years has been from seminars, watching other people (trainers) and staying educated on the latest and greatest...So in short what makes you a great trainer is TIME my friend.....good luck

Danzavier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danzavier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danzavier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danzavier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danzavier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danzavier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danzavier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danzavier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danzavier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danzavier has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was going to go for a ACSM cert but i found out that AFAA is having a workshop at the gym i work at and the owner said he would pay for my cert. Not my first choice but who can complain about a paid for certification?!? i will probably still get ACSM certified later on.
    Get big....Stay Big...

twinmom1025 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Personal Training and Nutrition Certification

I am looking at NSCA-CPT and then the ISSN Sports Nutrition Certifications. I have a degree in business, so this will be a big undertaking. The nutrition side is very important to me. I've read that ISSN nutrition certs are best. ISSA Sports Nutrition/Performance Nutrition also seems comprehensive, but I'm not sure if it is respected. I don't want to do all the work and then find out the certifications I have are meaningless. I will be training mostly women if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by twinmom1025; 04-30-2010 at 02:43 PM.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by pph774 View Post
    hands down nasm is the most practical cert out there. I have a hookup at that company so pm me if you like.

Big paul
    nasm cpt, ces, pes
    please explain howthe nasm is better than the cscs? Cscs>everything else.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by alive View Post
    ok here is my honest thought on your question...i have been in this industry for a long time. And currently own a gym. I feel that certs are good for the basic......understanding fundamentals of how the body, works, heals, adapts, i can go on and on, you get my drift, i currently employee 25 certified trainers and i must say all are very good, however i have a few that are not certified but.....are incredible trainers, being certified does not mean "you are a good trainer" or for that matter have any concept of being a trainer. Mostly everything i have learned as a trainer in 20 years has been from seminars, watching other people (trainers) and staying educated on the latest and greatest...so in short what makes you a great trainer is time my friend.....good luck
    why do a lot of training mngrs look at a cert as being a higher credential than a degree in the field?

[QUOTE=branddon;419701631]
    Originally Posted by Mythic Beast View Post
    Here's a list of other recognized certifications, feel free to add more.

ACE

ISSA

NATA

NCSF

NPTI

I've also read many reviews on NPTI, it seems to be legit. I actually plan to attend there next fall. Ace is also a nationally recognized place to become certified.
    IF ITS NOT NCCA ACCREDITED THEN ITS A WASTE OF $ TO TAKE IMO

Originally Posted by trem24 View Post
    i'm sure this has been asked before in this thread, but what's the cheapest cert as far as buying the material needed for studying and paying for the test?? I've been looking to become pt certified, more as a part time thing.

Also i see a lot of people in this thread working towards and exercise science degree, which is great i am too, but if you're using that degree to only become a pt, no offense, but that's pretty much a waste. There's a lot more other good paying stable jobs out there that you can get with a ses degree.
    like?

lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lessonlearned has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I currently live in Ohio and plan on staying here for at least the next 5 years. There's no Gold's Gym or 24 Hour Fitness near the location I will be at (Delaware). Urban Active and Metro Fitness are the only gyms close by. I will be starting my PT career at a commercial gym to get my foot in the door. I am more interested in working with athletes in the long run but I know that most of my clients will be the average Joe.

With that being said would it be better for me to get the NASM or NSCA certification?

JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by lessonlearned View Post
    I currently live in Ohio and plan on staying here for at least the next 5 years. There's no Gold's Gym or 24 Hour Fitness near the location I will be at (Delaware). Urban Active and Metro Fitness are the only gyms close by. I will be starting my PT career at a commercial gym to get my foot in the door. I am more interested in working with athletes in the long run but I know that most of my clients will be the average Joe.

With that being said would it be better for me to get the NASM or NSCA certification?
    If you're going to work for Urban Active or Metro Fitness, you should call them and see which certifications they accept.
    IFPA/PNBA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    P4P Muscle Sponsored Athlete
    Fitness and Nutrition Programs www.Payhip.com/JulianBrownFitness
    www.JulianBrownTraining.com
    www.********.com/Julianbrownpersonaltraining
    www.dailymotion.com/julian11453
    www.Twitter.com/Jbtraining
    www.askthetrainer.com/author/julianbrown/

Registered User AlwaysReforming's Avatar
    AlwaysReforming has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by alive View Post
    Ok here is my HONEST thought on your question...I have been in this industry for a long time. And currently own a gym. I feel that Certs are good for the basic......understanding fundamentals of how the body, works, heals, adapts, I can go on and on, you get my drift, I currently employee 25 certified trainers and I must say all are very good, however I have a few that are not certified BUT.....are incredible trainers, Being certified does not mean "you are a good trainer" or for that matter have any concept of being a trainer. Mostly everything I have learned as a trainer in 20 years has been from seminars, watching other people (trainers) and staying educated on the latest and greatest...So in short what makes you a great trainer is TIME my friend.....good luck
    +1.. I am not ceritified, and I have been training since I was 18. I do privates ONLY, and ONLY by referral. My clients are very happy, because I get them in shape. I actually got the ACE book, read it, as well as took a few Anatomy and Physiology courses. This, along with hangs ON experience, is MORE than enough!

Registered User Briiiiliantmate's Avatar
    Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best certifications

Certifications are credentials. There isn't a best. There is no best college degree and there is no best high school diploma. Each entity within all industries prefers one over another, but that doesn't make that particular certification the best, it just makes it most prefered to that particular entity. If you go down the road, that same credential could be worthless. There is no rhyme to reason in most cases.
    'Real beauty is what's inside.' You know you are ugly if someone tells you this.

lamarlynch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking to become a PT

I just found a new certification course by ACT
    actcertification.org
    Has anyone heard of them? I wanna become a personal trainer but also want to keep growing with it as far as taking nutrition classes as well.
    "Gimme one more, just one more!
    Don't give up!
    KEEP PUSHING!!"

Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Murrayjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can the ACSM certification be used outside of North America? Will gyms in Austrailia hire you with an ACSM cert, or do you have to get certified under their own governing body?

Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Destination2010 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd like to add that in Ireland and throughout Europe that the "National Qualification in Exercise, Health Studies and Personal Training" (NQEHSP) is the only complete course available in Ireland which is fully accredited by the EHFA (European Health Fitness Association) which allows for international recognition. The qualification takes approx 20 weeks to obtain, with passing exams in the end and submitting a workbook throughout the course.

hanibahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Expertrating hey hey hey

Originally Posted by bigpayno View Post
    I think each certification has it's own unique style and value. For instance, I think NASM offers more of a therapuetic and rehabilitation aspect than the others. The NSCA concentrates more on strength training. I have a fellow manager that is certified through NASM and she struggles with building mass for clients. I think it's the trainer's preference as well. It's easier for a guy to train someone who is looking to pack on the pounds and muscle as opposed to a girl that is trimming and toning. I think this works both ways. She does a better job than I do at working with females looking to shapen and tone.
    Those are all reputable companies. I think any of the certification programs, from NASM to NFPT are good as long as the trainer puts in the maximum effort to learn everything they should know. I would however, stay away from Expertrating.com...I don't even acknowledge people that apply to my gym with that "certification".
    I did my certifications through expertrating after I was tired of renewing my yearly certification in Canada. Expertrating has a decent amount of info that in my opinion would be enough to train general populations. They have an upgraded master trainer cert that was closer to kine curiculum than most i have seen. We have all seen trainers working that dont even have their cert! In my opinion(although I am new) Expertrating is a good first step for an aspiring trainer. Check out stjamesuniversity.com as well. They have a few certifications and other health and healing awards and you have the option of putting on courses for them for cash!!! I like money. St James University of Holistic Health is the name.

One doesnt have to pay the most in order to call themselves a trainer. i'm sure many have seen a multi certified trainer that friggen can barely count reps, much less build a athletic performance kit.

Just my two cents

Smile Propta

Sorry for the late responce, I dont have anymore time to go on the computer anymore, I am so busy all day with clients, the webstie is propta.com, you wont regret it. they actually have their curriculum in 5 languages and in 183 countires, they are Offically endorsed by the IFBB PRO league too.

Originally Posted by hanibahn View Post
    I did my certifications through expertrating after I was tired of renewing my yearly certification in Canada. Expertrating has a decent amount of info that in my opinion would be enough to train general populations. They have an upgraded master trainer cert that was closer to kine curiculum than most i have seen. We have all seen trainers working that dont even have their cert! In my opinion(although I am new) Expertrating is a good first step for an aspiring trainer. Check out stjamesuniversity.com as well. They have a few certifications and other health and healing awards and you have the option of putting on courses for them for cash!!! I like money. St James University of Holistic Health is the name.

One doesnt have to pay the most in order to call themselves a trainer. i'm sure many have seen a multi certified trainer that friggen can barely count reps, much less build a athletic performance kit.

Just my two cents
    you just wnat the easy way out and you expect ot make money? It does not pay, just to have a paper that says certified, you must do the work.

ltcherrypn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltcherrypn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltcherrypn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltcherrypn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltcherrypn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltcherrypn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltcherrypn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltcherrypn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ltcherrypn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm NFPT certified and I teach the NFPT national certification school. Having said that, and having had several other certifications at one time or another...I've spent the last couple weeks very (whats the proper word) disheartened by all the certifications out there. ACSM I think is a little too much for someone working in a traditional gym not necessarily with higher risk clients, however, I like their testing policies better than the other certifications I have taken because there is more hands on and practical application.

ISSA I liked that certification, even though it was a send in test that you could use the book on the questions required you to be able to APPLY what you were reading and not just restate it.

I have seen people pass a certification test and not be able to name 5 exercises that work the triceps. I think the reason is most certifications, assume (and perhaps rightfully so) that if you want to be a person trainer you know the basics already. Few people are going to try to take on such a certification if they can't even identify exercises that work primary muscles. Unfortunately, though, there are those that do, get the certification, and can tel you the make up of muscles, tell you about ATP, tell you about the affects of glucose on the brain, etc, but can't tell you how to do a push/pull workout program...they can define it, but not design it.

aleXedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aleXedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aleXedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aleXedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aleXedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aleXedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aleXedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aleXedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aleXedge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i got my cert at NPTI (National Personal Training Institute)

Most gyms seem impressed when i tell them were i got certified, and i seem to be more well rounded in exercise science then other trainers i know with other *****. my school is in lisle, illinois, not sure if there are a lot of them through out the us