Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Registered User XtremeFitnessINC's Avatar
    XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bigpayno View Post
    I would however, stay away from Expertrating.com...I don't even acknowledge people that apply to my gym with that "certification".
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That was the first cert I got when I first started I knew it was generic but I was young and wanted to make a quick buck back in the day...Ahhh the memories.....
    :::TRAIN HARDER:::

"Live HOOAH or Die Trying"

elicapel82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    does anyone have more than one cert.? and do you think it gives you an upperhand / better advantage at being selected for certain jobs?

johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) johnma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Has anyone ever heard of AFTA?
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will" - Vince Lombardi

ggtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ggtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ggtrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    imo your best bet is to get ahold of a local gym and talk to them. More then likely they are gonna tell you the same thing most have told you on here. nasm,acsm,ace and so on. The way i went about it worked great for me. I called the local golds gym and talked to the personal training director about getting into personal training. She suggested that I go with nasm and do an internship... The pay is more then likely gonna blow compared to what you can make on your own but the experience you gain from being in a bigger gym is priceless! I have been at golds a little over a year. I now feel like I am more then ready to take off on my own and will be doing so in about 5 weeks.
    AJ

Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I found this to be interesting since most people usually go by NCCA accreditation.

ISSA is proud to be accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC), which is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency, and is a recognized member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

NCCA is not recognized by the U.S. Dept. of Education to grant accreditation nor are they recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

Further, the NCCA does not accredit institutions or educational programs, only examinations. NCCA specifically states that any organization that seeks accreditation of their examination cannot require candidates to take any of their courses, classes, training, or workshops as a prerequisite to sit for their examination.

It is for these reasons that the ISSA chose to seek accreditation from the DETC, as they truly represent the platinum level of accreditation
    “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” - Mahatma Gandhi.

☆ Mighty Matts that Appreciate pUniCepts Appreciation Crew Appreciation Crew ☆ Founder ☆

dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mattf485 View Post
    I found this to be interesting since most people usually go by NCCA accreditation.
    This has been posted before in this very thread. You should read my response about ISSA's position statement.
    Professional Fitness Trainer
    MS, NASM, NFPT

Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Mighty Matt has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by dshinton View Post
    This has been posted before in this very thread. You should read my response about ISSA's position statement.
    I like your breakdown of what is said.

What always confuses me is the competition between certs and which are best. Especially when big gyms like 24hr fitness take and drop certs. They used to accept ACE, now they don't?

Its all very confusing.
    “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” - Mahatma Gandhi.

☆ Mighty Matts that Appreciate pUniCepts Appreciation Crew Appreciation Crew ☆ Founder ☆

jackfit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by johnma View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of AFTA?
    I just completed my AFTA certification, via a recommendation (trainer) at my gym. It may not be the most recognized (claim to fame is Bob Harper from The Biggest Loser television show), but the materials and testing were thorough. In the end your own integrity and desire to continue to learn will be the ultimate measuring stick.

Good luck!

AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AshDancer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Other Canadian certifications include CSEP (Canadian Society of Exercise Physiologists). Their CPT requires at least a 2 year college degree before you can earn it, and their CEP (certified exercise physiologist) requires a 4 year honours university degree in exercise science before you are eligible to work towards earning it. Great certifications, unfortunately not as well known. Another is BCPRA (British Columbia Parks and Recreation Association). If you live in British Columbia, most places will require you to be certified by them.

Annoying Middle Easterner Jay Rawd's Avatar
    Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just got my NCSF and in a few months will become ACE certified. On top of that I will receive a Master's in Exercise Science, the CSCS Cert from NSCA, and later a Ph.D in Exercise Science. I'm just starting but I will continue forth in the field to the point I am peer reviewed and am included in studies for promoting lackluster supplements that make average male gym rats think they're going to get 20 inch bicepts by taking them.
    The middle of the road, is tryin to find me
    I'm standin in the middle of life with my pains behind me

bluidvxn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluidvxn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluidvxn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluidvxn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluidvxn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluidvxn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluidvxn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluidvxn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bluidvxn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A.C.E Certification

Hello, I recently was let go at work and with Oregon's Unemployement rate being at 12% I decided that it was time for me to change careers.

The owner of my gym and a few of the male trainers as well as gym members have all told me how nice it would be to have a female trainer so after thinking and researching I decided to purchase my study material from A.C.E and am anxiously awaiting it to get here.

Not only will it push me to keep up with my transfermation but coming from an industry where I helped people with their "daily activities of life" I figured this would be another way to help individuals have a healthier and more active life.

If you've any insight to what I should focus the most on where the test is concerned I would appreciate any guidance you may have.

"results are motivating"
    Trisha

"Nothing worth doing is ever easy"

brennenlesser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brennenlesser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brennenlesser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by corygt3 View Post
    I have been a full-time trainer gym owner for 10 years and some of the best trainers I know have a low-level certification but are much better in the field than some of the high level ACE type people I have met. just keep in mind those cert's are good if you going for a corporate job but if you work for yourself I say get it going and dont worry about it so much. I have never had one client ever ask me where I am certified through. I would advise to find out who is making some real money in your area and shadow them they dont teach you any of that in those course's how to make money 101..
    ISSA actually has a pretty good fiscal fitness book that explains a lot on marketing. As well, the ISSA community is nice since they let you know where Jobs are needed. If you're flexible in moving you can find a gym with lots of clients almost anywhere in the world. Just gotta be on your toes and ready to split once business possibly dies somewhere.
    Last edited by brennenlesser; 04-16-2009 at 01:03 PM.

brennenlesser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brennenlesser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brennenlesser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by b-rizzle89 View Post
    i just got my certification through penn foster career school, for fitness and nutrition, has anyone done this aswell, or did i just waste my time and money???
    depends. you can be an independent trainer or get a gym job training (Most gyms have a couple specific certs in mind)

Whats good for lower abs? kserajuddin's Avatar
    kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by brennenlesser View Post
    depends. you can be an independent trainer or get a gym job training (Most gyms have a couple specific certs in mind)
    I recommend (strongly) being an independent trainer
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just completed my ISSA certification and thought it was a great program. I have found it disappointing to discover that some gyms do not accept or prefer the certification, and that the legitimacy is questioned by some due to the online testing option.

Personally though, I thought they provided a huge amount of information. Even if the testing is open-book, there are essay questions and other parts to the test that require you to actually know what you are talking about and cant simply be found in the book and copied.

Hopefully the negative opinions on ISSA's accreditation or methods aren’t held by too many employers. Just some thoughts...First post so hello to all.

Scaffer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ive got the can-fit and ymca certification going on but,im still gonna go for kinesiolog cause more and more gym are asking for a bachelor degree.

Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nclark44 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Scaffer View Post
    ive got the can-fit and ymca certification going on but,im still gonna go for kinesiolog cause more and more gym are asking for a bachelor degree.
    What do you think the degree in kinesiology is worth though in terms of career advancement? I think it would be a great thing to study and would help expand a person's knowledge on fitness quite a bit. I'm in my last semester finishing my bachelor's degree but it is not in a fitness related field. I have always wondered what kind of opportunities studying kinesiology and furthering one's education could open up.

Are gyms willing to increase their level of pay for someone who gets a degree in something like this? Are there further opportunities for career advancement in the fitness industry with this type of degree?

deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deadlift500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Making More Money as a Trainer

A degree in Kin will not get you better pay in a gym. I'm a CSCS with a degree in an unrelated field. (I did take courses in Anatomy, Human physiology and sport psychology. These were done on the side during my completion of an arts degree.)

However, I have doubled my Income in the last 6 months! I bought this system/e-book, whatever, written specifically for increasing your income in the RESSESSION. The market is down and I make $15,000 a month!!!! Crazy. Check it out.

http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/w...rainer/6559874

Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000) Jay Rawd is just really nice. (+1000)
    My experience tells me that ISSA probably isn't that good since alot of trainers I know that have it aren't very bright or knowledgable about training at all.

ISSA's dieting advice also sounds like a page straight out of FLEX.

fit4life1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fit4life1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fit4life1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fit4life1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fit4life1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fit4life1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fit4life1986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Agree for sure!

The health club that I work at require ACSM and NSCA. These two are considered the golds standard in personal training certifications. Currently both of them are multiple choice question exams. I took the NSCA exam and passed it fairly easily. Although, I was an exercise science major at a 4 year university and I also studied the NSCA-CPT book front and back before taking the test. Both tests are difficult, but not impossible to pass. If you have one of these two, you are pretty much going to be able to get a job anywhere in the U.S.A.
    "Do you not know that in a race all runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24

NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BBMechanics View Post
    I'm currently studying with ACE to be certified. I payed about 180 bucks for the most basic package after shipping. The book seems to just procrastinate by using the most comprehensive words possible to make it look professional, but would save a lot of time and make it easier if they just told you word-for-word what you needed to know.
    This is the same as the can fit pro. I go online to study most of the material now.

NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000) NeverGymLess is just really nice. (+1000)
    Does anyone know how to become a sports conditioning coach ..seems like all the certs say i need a degree before i can go for one

Originally Posted by fit4life1986 View Post
    The health club that I work at require ACSM and NSCA. These two are considered the golds standard in personal training certifications. Currently both of them are multiple choice question exams. I took the NSCA exam and passed it fairly easily. Although, I was an exercise science major at a 4 year university and I also studied the NSCA-CPT book front and back before taking the test. Both tests are difficult, but not impossible to pass. If you have one of these two, you are pretty much going to be able to get a job anywhere in the U.S.A.
    ACSM and NSCA are awesome. Neither one will do you wrong.

NASM is known for being loved by hiring managers but is virtually unknown by the general public (even I knew about ACSM and NSCA before even knowing about any other certificates). Not only that, but ACE is cheaper and basically the same exact material as NASM (read through both books) and is known by many more people. NASM is overrated in the PT world.

Results start when you do wdaniels's Avatar
    wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000)

Nasm

I think the top three are nasm,acsm,nsca,,i have nasm,,the opt system is great..
    Will Daniels NASM-CPT
    Visit my website
    www.Adonispt.com
    http://www.********.com/profile.php?id=1262836591&ref=profile

wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000) wdaniels is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jay Rawd View Post
    ACSM and NSCA are awesome. Neither one will do you wrong.

NASM is known for being loved by hiring managers but is virtually unknown by the general public (even I knew about ACSM and NSCA before even knowing about any other certificates). Not only that, but ACE is cheaper and basically the same exact material as NASM (read through both books) and is known by many more people. NASM is overrated in the PT world.
    Bro,,ace in not even close to nasm...ace is way easier to get also...nasms opt model,,Human movement,,Biomechanics,,its far more updated then ace..I had looked at ace before getting nasm,,ace wasnt even close..it has helped me big time with training clients with injuries,,and postural distortions...Not saying you cant be a great trainer and be certified through ace,,but the science that you will learn with acsm,nasm,nsca,,is far more advanced then ace..
    Will Daniels NASM-CPT
    Visit my website
    www.Adonispt.com

BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10) BillCutting is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Heres a question. Would it be advantageous to take the NSCA exam at the pen and paper place or online at there testing sites?
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when my fear is gone I will turn and face fears path, and only I will remain." -Paul Atreides

An exactly 2:1 mixture of science and bull****.

Originally Posted by BillCutting View Post
    Heres a question. Would it be advantageous to take the NSCA exam at the pen and paper place or online at there testing sites?
    I dont think it would matter,,if your prepared,,i think i would rather take it at the pen and paper place,,just my opinion..
    Will Daniels NASM-CPT
    Visit my website
    www.Adonispt.com

Originally Posted by wdaniels View Post
    Bro,,ace in not even close to nasm...ace is way easier to get also...nasms opt model,,Human movement,,Biomechanics,,its far more updated then ace..I had looked at ace before getting nasm,,ace wasnt even close..it has helped me big time with training clients with injuries,,and postural distortions...Not saying you cant be a great trainer and be certified through ace,,but the science that you will learn with acsm,nasm,nsca,,is far more advanced then ace..
    Someone here said it nicely:

"What nasm teaches you you can get from googling "functional training"

NASM=commercial gyms will bow down to you

NSCA=the whole world will

Talking

Originally Posted by Jay Rawd View Post
    Someone here said it nicely:

"What nasm teaches you you can get from googling "functional training"

NASM=commercial gyms will bow down to you

NSCA=the whole world will
    You are correct about the googling Functional training"you wont get a cert that way..Plus what cant you google and get info on,,doesnt mean anything without having to pass a test..Like i said nicely,,acsm nasm or nsca will all get respect,,but you still have to earn your own clients,,know how to maintain clients,,and be a people person to be a great trainer..I work for myself..All my clients get results..Having a good cert just helped me step it up a notch..
    Will Daniels NASM-CPT
    Visit my website
    www.Adonispt.com

Originally Posted by wdaniels View Post
    You are correct about the googling Functional training"you wont get a cert that way..Plus what cant you google and get info on,,doesnt mean anything without having to pass a test..Like i said nicely,,acsm nasm or nsca will all get respect,,but you still have to earn your own clients,,know how to maintain clients,,and be a people person to be a great trainer..I work for myself..All my clients get results..Having a good cert just helped me step it up a notch..
    My problem with NASM is that unlike ACSM and NSCA, NASM is only interested in teaching you about NASM and nothing else. It's either the NASM ways/theories, or nothing. I find that to be very smug.