Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Registered User XtremeFitnessINC's Avatar
    XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500) XtremeFitnessINC is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by kserajuddin View Post
    It's funny that you mention a four year cert--Purdue is now offering a 4-year degree in Personal Training!!

Seems a little excessive to me--what do you guys think about that..?
    Seems excessive but than again you never have to re-certify every again
    :::TRAIN HARDER:::

"Live HOOAH or Die Trying"

Whats good for lower abs? kserajuddin's Avatar
    kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by XtremeFitnessINC View Post
    To be completely honest with you, any recognized cert is good enough if you are working for yourself as opposed to a gym. Gym's are more specific in what type of cert but the average trainee has no idea of what certification trumphs the next. As long as you apear to be a very fit individual and if your networking skills are up to par you'll do great! I can't even begin to tell you about how many people that hired me as a trainer because of how I personally look. So no stress, I say follow through with ACE and make that money
    I agree completely - Your clients aren't going to know the difference so the important thing for you is just to get certified and start the process of learning to become a profitable trainer.
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50) Donica will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Rap_Rocky View Post
    In my opinion, ACE is better. It's more widely known and accepted. ISSA isn't necessarily a BAD certification, but when it comes to the one that's more recognized and respected throughout the industry, you're definitely looking at ACE.
    In terms of the fitness industry in America, what you say is basically true. But from what I've read elsewhere, the ISSA is actually very well-recognized in a number of countries around the world and is considered to be one of the more prestigious certs (thus the INTERNATIONAL Sports Sciences Association).

Myself, I'm certified through the ISSA and have thoroughly enjoyed my experience learning through them--a very ongoing learning experience. Whatever certification you accrue, it is only the beginning, a stepping-stone. If you rely on your single cert to educate you forever after as a personal trainer, then you will undoubtedly fail. It is your responsibility to continue learning and growing and bettering yourself, for yourself as well as your clients.

No matter what your certification, unless the gym you're aspiring to work at has blinders on, if you're a good trainer who obviously knows their stuff, is a "people person" who is kind and willing to do hard work, and looks the part of their trade--you will garner attention for yourself. Period.

daloufran has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Ace

I think ACE has the best support of all the certifications. They even have a website to promote trainers. At the end of the day it will be the continuing education you complete that will set you apart from the rest.

Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The answers I got in my area of greater kansas city and the subs...they all rely on NSCA and few similiar to that.

One technology insitution wants $15,300 for 10 month training on and off the campuses with everything included. While at that, I found other colleges and schools are providing 400 to 1000 for it if we cover everything that is required for the courses and the time stretches to 2 - 6 years.

jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jameselliott87 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Personal Training Certifications

I have my Nesta , it was a great certification and is accepted all over North America .

Cheers !
    James Elliott
    National Level bodybuilder
    Ontario Provincial Champion
    Optimum Nutrition/ABB Performance Sponsored Athlete

b-rizzle89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question i have a question?

i just got my certification through penn foster career school, for fitness and nutrition, has anyone done this aswell, or did i just waste my time and money???

TonyV67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ace

Does anyone have the ACE manuals and study materials that they might like to sell? I really don't want to buy from them and spend that much money.

WetWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WetWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WetWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WetWolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    They all are are awfull.

The academic curricula in exercise science and physiology in this country are not even in the same galaxy of usefulness as those from sports science academies and institutes overseas

sportclmbr84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation just my opinion, like it or hate it

I am NSCA-CSCS certified. If you don't know what that means, I suggest you look it up. For NSCA-CPT and ACSM-PT, you do not need a college degree in a health/exercise field, but you do need to be CPR and First Aid certified before you take their test. I believe both organizations now let you take the test online as well. But once you want those higher up cert's, you need a college degree in a related field. These are the two most well known certification organizations in the US. They both require continuing education credits so you can keep your cert. (as I believe most of the others also do). If just going to get the basic CPT cert, you will need to know the business side of things on how to handle that part of the business such as if you work for yourself how to become profitable or even working in a gym and dealing with that.
    I personally chose NSCA-CSCS because I want to work with athletes to become better, faster, stronger athletes. Make sure you do research and figure out what it is you want before you decide to get your cert. If you decide against the two I mentioned, thats fine, thats what you want, I just would advise to know all organizations out there and see what kind of books, supplemental materials, and videos they offer.
    If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me. I am one semester away from getting my Masters in Exercise Science.

btw, the degree at Purdue that someone mentioned earlier is not actually Personal Training degree, I think you're referring to the Health and Fitness degree which is aimed at getting the ACSM-HFI which you need a college degree for.

dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sportclmbr84 View Post
    For NSCA-CPT and ACSM-PT, you do not need a college degree in a health/exercise field, but you do need to be CPR and First Aid certified before you take their test. I believe both organizations now let you take the test online as well.
    They would lose their NCCA accreditation if they gave a non-proctored exam. They do offer electronic testing at an authorized test center, but that is much different than "online".
    Professional Fitness Trainer
    MS, NASM, NFPT

bruner82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Best Certificates

Personally, there is not a best certificate to have. Some are used for other reasons besides Personal Training as well as the continuing education within those certs are aimed in different directions to get a wide variety of trainers out there. So far I hold an I.S.S.A. cert and found it was at a moderate level to complete. I herd A.C.E. was probably one of the toughest, but very well known. If your worried about what cert to get for a job, dont look to far into it, most places are more than happy that you have any nationally accredited cert and usually wont keep you out of a job. More always helps though!!

Jordan Bruner

"If the weight feels heavy, PUSH HARDER!!"

dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bruner82 View Post
    I herd A.C.E. was probably one of the toughest, but very well known.
    Did you mean, "ACE wasn't one of the toughest, but very well known"?

ACE is widely recognized, but it is far from the toughest. There is a reason why the three listed in the first post are "the top three", and it isn't because they are easy certs.
    MS, NASM, NFPT

foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10) foster_tg is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile

Usually two certifications are good for any personal trainer positon. Plus, have the look: lean, muscled body for men, some vacularity, and be clean-cut but preferrably no visible tats.

The other qualifications that I think a personal trainer requires are the folloing:
    - understanding your client's needs
    - compassion
    - being a motivated figure

Find your niche in personal training and you will do well.
    Still want to be a 300-pound freak!

Location: Felixstowe, Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    chrisrademacher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try the bodybuildingcollege.com the trainingsecret in coopeation with WABBA which is a City and Guilds qualification. It is not easy but well worth it.

Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Halothane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by chrisrademacher View Post
    Try the bodybuildingcollege.com the trainingsecret in coopeation with WABBA which is a City and Guilds qualification. It is not easy but well worth it.
    Looks bad, really bad.
    Garrett Hills, MS, CSCS, NSCA-CPT
    Exercise Physiologist/Strength Coach

Location: Felixstowe, Suffolk, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    chrisrademacher has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

training secret.

what an ill thought out reply. I am not even going to bother to explain the people involved in this qualification or its success and encouraging feedback from its worldwide studets.

I wish you well
    Last edited by chrisrademacher; 12-28-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: reponse required

conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) conroeguy34 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I live just outside of Houston and I have been to The Cooper Institute twice. Great place and a really good certification. You don't have to be in the Dallas area, there were people from all over the country. One guy at my table was sent by the Air Force and flew in from Japan to attend.

http://www.cooperinst.org/index.cfm
    Last edited by conroeguy34; 12-29-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: add link
    Bill
    www.copfitness.blogspot.com
    5'11

"Giving up is forever, pain is temporary."
    The will to survive is important, but the will to prepare is vital-unknown

dannydeadlift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    NASM 2nd edition was one of the hardest and most recognized certification. The gold standard for gold's gym. NASM's 3rd edition is a little easier, seeing as how the textbook is only 500 pages instead of 1000 pages.

ACSM is also just as well known and accepted as NASM.

Those are the only two as of now I will accept for NEW intern trainers.

But most experienced trainers, disagree with many aspects of both systems and their training programs are mish-mashes.

MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MC63 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am NASM certified. Is this completely off topic, I am sorry if it is.

I am looking for classes to take for my CU's Can I take ACE classes and be covered? I like the website, like someone else said, ACE seems to have good support, and is less $$.
    I was thinking about getting the ACE lifestyle management cert. I think that's wht it is called.(Or even just the basic ACE cert.) But I won't right now if it doesn't count as CU's for NASM

Yes I know I can go look up the info, but I'm here now and hoping someone knows the answer off hand. I am due for renewal in May.

Thank You.

By the way, I haven't been to this sight for a very long time. Nice to see a section for trainers.. There are many times I have questions about clients and situations. Good call.

kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Those are some quality points about certifications - Feel free to voice your opinions on the new Super Trainer forum -

Here's the link: http://super-trainer.com/forums -

This ENTIRE forum will be dedicated to personal trainers - I also allow signatures with live backlinks, which is an added benefit - See you guys on the forum!
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking trainers degree

I recently got my personal trainers certification from USCI. I haven't seen USCI listed anywhere. It required alot of testing and is reconized by alot of schools. Trying now to find a gym for work. Has anyone else used USCI?

mikeystl09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no college work is required. you can take some of these classes online. my buddy just reads the book and takes the test. for those of you certified, how long did it take to get through your course, and what was the toughest section(s). thanks
    Originally Posted by KHSwideout2k8 View Post
    do u even have to go to a college to get ur certificate??
    mykie_mike

gmand75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gmand75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ACE Certification

is this certification doable on line
    i already have ISSA but i would like another one
    SGT Guz

Originally Posted by flexapeal View Post
    I recently got my personal trainers certification from USCI. I haven't seen USCI listed anywhere. It required alot of testing and is reconized by alot of schools. Trying now to find a gym for work. Has anyone else used USCI?
    By USCI, do you mean US Career Institute?

AFAIK, USCI has no continuing education requirement. If that is true, then that cert is pretty much useless unless a gym says, "any cert will do". If I were you I would get a more recognized certification.
    MS, NASM, NFPT

LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LayinLo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What about NFPT? Doesn't seem to be very popular here. I'm worried about keeping my cert with NASM and not being able to find the CEU's to keep it current.

Originally Posted by XtremeFitnessINC View Post
    To be completely honest with you, any recognized cert is good enough if you are working for yourself as opposed to a gym. Gym's are more specific in what type of cert but the average trainee has no idea of what certification trumphs the next. As long as you apear to be a very fit individual and if your networking skills are up to par you'll do great! I can't even begin to tell you about how many people that hired me as a trainer because of how I
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    www.Super-Trainer.com

Originally Posted by LayinLo View Post
    What about NFPT? Doesn't seem to be very popular here. I'm worried about keeping my cert with NASM and not being able to find the CEU's to keep it current.
    NFPT is considered to be a beginners cert and I would describe their methodology as bodybuilding adapted to other populations. It's NCCA accredited and accepted by most gyms.

As for the CECs, I use ptonthenet.com and get all the CECs I need for NFPT and most of my CECs for NASM.
    MS, NASM, NFPT

mikeystl09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i am not well versed in the different certifications for personal training, but my question would which certifications are highly respected in the industry. i know there's quite a few out there. eventually i would like to get my certification too after i settle down with my full time job. thanks
    mykie_mike

hardball7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Look At The total price

Originally Posted by Fritz311 View Post
    can someone tell me why the NASM cert cost $600.....that seems like an awfull lot compared to some other ones. Im going to get certified in the next month or so, so i was just wondering. Also NASM said i needed to get CPR/AED certified, do the other certifications require this or not?
    NASM is $600-$700 up front but this also includes the materials and final exam cost. Unlike the other certs that all this is extra come time you need it. So really it all evens out in the end. Well...other then when you go to recertify.

I have both the NASM CPT and CES and thought both were very thorough and worth the money. But again if you are going to be on your own then yes in the end most are going to go over the same basics.