funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10)

questions about Tabata

For those who do Tabata, I was just wondering what exercise you use for it. I think I want to start with squats (air squats) and then try thrusters. But what are some other good things to do for tabata?

And around what time do you usually do them? I want to get it over with in the morning before practicing and classes, but it sounds like I will be pretty beat after doing it.

Oh, one more question, how often do you do it? I'm guessing on off days, but is it like a few times a week or fewer than that?

Thanks so much!

cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I follow crossfit type training and every once in a while, a tabata drill will come into play for the work out of the day. All tabata drills are 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest for eight sets. There is no rest between exercises other than the 10 seconds. He is an example of a tabata routine crossfit uses.

Pullups
    Pushups
    Situps
    Air Squats (deep knee bends)

Other exercises used in a tabata drill are
    wall ball
    20" box jumps (plyometrics)
    Kettlebell or dbl swings (women 35 lb dbl / men 55 lb dbl)
    Sumo deadlift high pulls.

I hope this helps.
    Government Philosophy: If it isn't broke, fix it until it is.
    I rep back!

funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks! I've researched a bit about crossfit before, and I really want to get into at some point. But I think I'm going to start doing tabata with just one thing and then work my way up. All of the non-crossfit things I've read about tabata just talk about doing one exercise for it too, at least that's how I understood it.

Also, does anyone know how to pronounce 'tabata'? I mean, it is easy looking enough, so I think I am doing it right, but I just want to be sure, since I really hate when I pronounce things incorrectly. Soooooo I just wanted to double check.

cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I believe it is pronouced the way it is spelled. "Tab" (like the soft drink) and "ata" - all with the short "a" sound (ah).
    I rep back!

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I usually try and do this on the rower or bike.
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10) Katie_McD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by funkosaurus View Post
    Thanks! I've researched a bit about crossfit before, and I really want to get into at some point. But I think I'm going to start doing tabata with just one thing and then work my way up. All of the non-crossfit things I've read about tabata just talk about doing one exercise for it too, at least that's how I understood it.

Also, does anyone know how to pronounce 'tabata'? I mean, it is easy looking enough, so I think I am doing it right, but I just want to be sure, since I really hate when I pronounce things incorrectly. Soooooo I just wanted to double check.
    I do tabatas with 2 different exercises, but I don't always do the same 2. Push-ups, kettle ball, squats, thrusters, sprinting, and burpees are some of the ones I alternate with.

I found a mp3 that tracks the time and sets for you...I got it off from workout muse. The guy on the mp3 pronounces it Tuh-Ba-Tas.

loreleieve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had to google the term "tabata" to figure out what you were talking about.

I actually do something very similar but with different sprint/recovery times on the bike, but I'm definitely going to try out the 20/10 intervals.

As for the pronunciation of the name, I found out it was Japanese, and I've studied Japanese in my off time the last couple years. All the a's sound the same, as in the word "ah".

mercy_bobcat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mercy_bobcat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use tabata on the stationary bike as a form of cardio three times a week. I have a 2 minute warm-up, 4 minute 20/10s intervals, five minutes at a moderate pace, then another set of 20/10s. Lastly I have a 3 minute cooldown and I'm done.
    12 weeks to my future physique

Thanks so much for the info, guys! I tried it last night on a stationary bike, it was a nice workout. I think my plan as of now is to alternate what I do it on just to keep my body guessing, and to do it on most non-lifting days.

I am going to try squats with it tomorrow morning, hopefully I won't be too tired to function after that... haha

Okay... so I did this:

this morning (first time, so not as well as they did...) and now my lower back hurts. Well, my thighs and arse hurts too, but I was betting on that. But do you think my lower back hurts because I did them with incorrect form? Or is that just normal for the first time?

I guess this might be a tough question to answer unless you had perfect technique the first time you did it and can remember whether or not your lower back hurt from it... haha.

But yeah, it was painful but tabata is definitely something I want to continue doing. Anyone have any thing they can tell me about fat loss or physical improvements from doing it and what to expect?

loreleieve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by funkosaurus View Post
    Okay... so I did this:

this morning (first time, so not as well as they did...) and now my lower back hurts. Well, my thighs and arse hurts too, but I was betting on that. But do you think my lower back hurts because I did them with incorrect form? Or is that just normal for the first time?

I guess this might be a tough question to answer unless you had perfect technique the first time you did it and can remember whether or not your lower back hurt from it... haha.

But yeah, it was painful but tabata is definitely something I want to continue doing. Anyone have any thing they can tell me about fat loss or physical improvements from doing it and what to expect?
    From my experience, I've noticed that my lower back will try to compensate for my legs when they get tired, usually during stiff-legged deadlifts but also squats. It took me a while to figure out the correct form, but once I did my back never felt any pain. I was actually feeling it while I was lifting and definitely noticed it the next day when I did use my back.

-Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500) -Jules- is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I tried this last night for the first time and could barely walk after I was done.

LOL. Old thread. Even air squats can make your lower back hurt a little. However, if you are experiencing excessive lower back pain, it may be due to a lack of flexibility in the hamstring or the pelvis area or both. This will cause the lower back to "round" at the bottom of the squat. You need to stay as "flat backed" as possible when doing these squat (or any type of squat) to avoid excessive lower back pain.
    I rep back!